or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers › Which subwoofer
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Which subwoofer

post #1 of 11
Thread Starter 
So I'm in the market for a new subwoofer. I've looked around and have a few I'm looking at. I know there's 3 on the list that most of you probably don't like, but I want to look at all my options. Also keep in mind I can get all of these for basically the same price. It's going to be used for mostly movies and some music, however I don't always have the sub on while listening to music, typically only for parties. The room is roughly 14'x17' and opens into my dining room and hallway. So heres the models:

HSU VTF-2MK4
SUNFIRE HRS-10
Epik Legend
Def Tech Supercube Reference or 8000
Outlaw LFM-1 Plus
Martin Logan Grotto i
post #2 of 11
My pallet can't fathom that sweet of a sub. Any of them would be magic for me.
post #3 of 11
I'd go with the Outlaw LFM-1 Plus or the Epik Legend.
post #4 of 11
Thread Starter 
eljay, why those two?
post #5 of 11
I've seen more reviews and comments about the performance of those two subs than I have regarding the other subs, and pretty much all the reviews and comments I've seen have been positive.

So, essentially: IMO, and YMMV. smile.gif
post #6 of 11
Thread Starter 
Yea, I don't see many people on here with the Grotto or Supercube. I really wish I could demo them.
post #7 of 11
I am using the NHT B12D subwoofer; it is the cleanest-sounding one I have ever hear for under $1000. I love it.

Its acoustic suspension design is superior to ported subwoofers, IMO.

It also makes it a bit smaller than most (a 14" cube). It takes more power to drive an acoustic suspension design, but NHT has provided that (500 watts).

It also has a wonderful piano black finish.
Edited by commsysman - 8/3/12 at 9:00am
post #8 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by adupree View Post

Yea, I don't see many people on here with the Grotto or Supercube. I really wish I could demo them.

I have a supercube but it's not a reference or an 8000. I have the little (by comparison) 2000.
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by commsysman View Post

I am using the NHT B12D subwoofer; it is the cleanest-sounding one I have ever hear for under $1000. I love it.

You really need to hear more subs.

And speakers.

And receivers.
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by eljaycanuck View Post

I've seen more reviews and comments about the performance of those two subs than I have regarding the other subs, and pretty much all the reviews and comments I've seen have been positive.
So, essentially: IMO, and YMMV. smile.gif

+1

I haven't heard that particular HSU model, but the others I have heard from HSU have been impressive.
post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by holt7153 View Post

You really need to hear more subs.
And speakers.
And receivers.

Maybe commsysman is right, maybe the NHT is the best subwoofer for under $1000 eek.gif

Thats if you disregard everything from HSU, SVS, Rythmik, Epik, Axiom, Aperion, and Emotiva, then I could see how he comes to his conclusion rolleyes.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers › Which subwoofer