or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Home Theater Computers › Change WMC LiveTV codec
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Change WMC LiveTV codec

post #1 of 21
Thread Starter 
I tried shark007 but it breaks livetv. Does anyone know of a successful way to change the video codec? The picture quality is horrible and want something different. Or should I just move to XBMC. Also i running a x64 system.
post #2 of 21
There is no other 64bit LiveTV codec in existance other than that provided by Microsoft. If you were to use a 32bit OS, my software would allow you to use the PowerDVD LiveTV decoder in place of the Microsoft decoder. On a 64bit system, WMC is 64bit only requiring 64bit codecs/filters.
post #3 of 21
Some LiveTV/DVR programs use transport stream (ts) format but they don't do copy protected content.

BTW, I'm using LAV filters, audio and video for stored content playback and have the audio set to 5.1 in windows system sounds for LiveTV and am not having any issues at all. I get DD 5.1 from my HDHR Prime this way. It sounds great and nothing is broken.
post #4 of 21
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark007 View Post

There is no other 64bit LiveTV codec in existance other than that provided by Microsoft. If you were to use a 32bit OS, my software would allow you to use the PowerDVD LiveTV decoder in place of the Microsoft decoder. On a 64bit system, WMC is 64bit only requiring 64bit codecs/filters.

I just restored my system from a 32bit to 64bit by accident. I had codec problems and restoring was the only way I could fix it. By accident I put in the 64bit disc. I was going to install back to 32bit this weekend. But how would I change to the PowerDVD decoder?
post #5 of 21
i have stopped including the PowerDVD decoders in my distribution mainly because it is extremely simple to acquire the files on your own saving me from any legal issues. To use the PowerDVD decoder read (and follow) the thread I linked to above and select the checkbox on the SWAP TAB, [x] ALT support for LiveTV (x86)

PowerDVD.jpg 131k .jpg file
post #6 of 21
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark007 View Post

i have stopped including the PowerDVD decoders in my distribution mainly because it is extremely simple to acquire the files on your own saving me from any legal issues. To use the PowerDVD decoder read (and follow) the thread I linked to above and select the checkbox on the SWAP TAB, [x] ALT support for LiveTV (x86)
PowerDVD.jpg 131k .jpg file


Great Thanks. Sorry but where do I put the .dll files?
post #7 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Makaveli6103 View Post

Great Thanks. Sorry but where do I put the .dll files?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark007 View Post

extremely simple .... read (and follow) the thread

If you are finding that thread difficult to follow, please inform me what is confusing so that I may change the wording.
Edited by Shark007 - 8/3/12 at 12:52pm
post #8 of 21
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark007 View Post

If you are finding that thread difficult to follow, please inform me what is confusing so that I may change the wording.

I figured that out. I followed these instructions http://shark007.net/forum/Thread-Windows-7-Codecs-3-7-2-settings-with-PowerDVD-12-for-MC7-Live-TV-in-HD and am getting a decoder error.
Edited by Makaveli6103 - 8/3/12 at 2:54pm
post #9 of 21
I added a screenshot to help clarify the post. Notice the full path in the upper portion. C:\Program Files\Win7codecs\filters
post #10 of 21
Thread Starter 
Now some channels work and others say Copying Prohibited....
post #11 of 21
personally, I have never seen any advantage to using an alternate decoder other than Microsofts'.
I included the ability to change the32bit LiveTV decoder only @ user request.
post #12 of 21
Copying Prohibited would mean you are not subscribed to those channels or your CableCARD etc is not properly provisioned. You did not mention this earlier. Are you using a CableCARD tuner?
post #13 of 21
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark007 View Post

personally, I have never seen any advantage to using an alternate decoder other than Microsofts'.
I included the ability to change the32bit LiveTV decoder only @ user request.

I think Livetv looks a little soft. I wanted to see what a different codec looked like.
post #14 of 21
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post

Copying Prohibited would mean you are not subscribed to those channels or your CableCARD etc is not properly provisioned. You did not mention this earlier. Are you using a CableCARD tuner?

Yes I am using a Ceton tuner with TWC. But I figured out the channels that are encrypted have this problem. And the other problem all of them are encrypted except the 4 main channels (abc, nbc, cbs and fox).
post #15 of 21
If you are not getting channels to which you subscribe you need to get TWC to re-provision your CableCARD but before that, have you run Digital Cable Advisor? You may also need to update PlayReady or even reset PlayReady.
post #16 of 21
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post

If you are not getting channels to which you subscribe you need to get TWC to re-provision your CableCARD but before that, have you run Digital Cable Advisor? You may also need to update PlayReady or even reset PlayReady.

The channels work fine until I change the codec. Once I change it to PowerDVD the error shows up.
post #17 of 21
Don't use that then. It is causing issues with DRM I think. Why are you thinking you need to use this?
post #18 of 21
You have to use the Microsoft codecs for any kind of copy protected content, plain and simple.

Also, just to go back to the first post, the default codecs are not that bad. Yes there may be some differences here and there, but it's not horrible picture quality. If you see some really bad issues, then something else seems to be wrong.
post #19 of 21
Loading MPC-HC/MadVR/LAV from MB w/in WMC gives excellent video with HDAudio and allows playback of all Copy Protected content. When MPC-HC closes it releases the codecs back to default I think. Give it a try. It works for me.
post #20 of 21
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico66 View Post

You have to use the Microsoft codecs for any kind of copy protected content, plain and simple.
Also, just to go back to the first post, the default codecs are not that bad. Yes there may be some differences here and there, but it's not horrible picture quality. If you see some really bad issues, then something else seems to be wrong.

I did some other troubleshooting and realized my signal is ****. Called TWC and they are coming to boost the signal. I think it will fix the picture problems.
post #21 of 21
That may be part of it. Hopefully that'll fix it.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Home Theater Computers
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Home Theater Computers › Change WMC LiveTV codec