or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Display Calibration › CalMan 5 Release Notes and Discussion
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

CalMan 5 Release Notes and Discussion - Page 45

post #1321 of 2247
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaPZ80U View Post

Is there any way I can use my laptop as a pattern generator reliably or should I just stick to the 24-pt colorchecker?
You can use your laptop, and a perfect way to test it would be to run a disc with the colorchecker swatches and compare the results to a run with your laptop.

Some laptops can be configured to output reference levels, some can't, sometimes when you update drivers what used to work will break. The only way to verify it in the field is to compare it to a known source, or in the lab with a waveform monitor.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaPZ80U View Post

also, are tools like the saturation and luminance sweeps and the colochecker useful for setting color/tint or are they only for those with a CMS and/or external video processor? My setup isn't centered around a HTPC, so I have no access to 3DLUTs.

They absolutely can be helpful. If you put up a deH and deL chart you can use the color and tint controls to try and find the best average error. I pulled out the fleshtones from the SG set and included them as a custom pattern set, so you could just run that sweep of 15 or so colors to try and optimize just for fleshtones. You're going to be making subjective choices for what to optimize for if you only have a color and tint control.
Edited by sotti - 4/5/13 at 1:32pm
post #1322 of 2247
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaPZ80U View Post

That looks very comprehensive but unfortunately I don't think I'll be able to use it, since I still display patterns manually on my PS3/BD player via calibration discs and manually going through 100 patterns would be a nightmare.

Is there any way I can use my laptop as a pattern generator reliably or should I just stick to the 24-pt colorchecker?

Also, are tools like the saturation and luminance sweeps and the colorchecker useful for setting color/tint or are they only for those with a CMS and/or external video processor? My setup isn't centered around a HTPC, so I have no access to 3DLUTs.

Indeed, it has been long recognized that this level of measurement/calibration isn't practical to do manually. It would be a nightmare.

There has been much discussion about using PC video cards as pattern generators and responses to that question range from "Almost impossible to guarantee accuracy, especially when you update a video driver." to "When I compare my laptop's output to the Radiance, it's virtually identical." So, the jury's out on that one as far as I can tell.

You can use saturation and luminance sweeps and the color checker to measure your display's performance. You could also possibly make things better by twiddling the available controls, but IMHO, attempting to adjust it with limited controls wouldn't be worth it.

EDIT: I just saw that Joel thinks it would be worth adjusting, so go with what he says! smile.gif
post #1323 of 2247
Quote:
Originally Posted by p5browne View Post

This statement was fine a few years ago! But, now days, you're out selling product to New Users, Amateurs, etc, not just to the `Been to 3 Years of Schooling' for this.' More and more home users are now buying your products and getting familiar to having a more than `Out of the Box' experience with their sets. So, I think that with more of the Home Users now becoming a larger part of your clientel, some adjustments have to be made. To do so, will again, increase sales to this market.

You can see my sig for a basic walkthrough I put together for the first-time calibrator.
post #1324 of 2247
Quote:
Originally Posted by sotti View Post

I agree that we could do a better job with written materials.

We poured many hours into the content for our tutorial workflows, but it would be good to go back through and get more of it into the actual help file (there is one you know). Once the content is in the help system, it can be printed or we could even produce a pdf version.

Our goal has always been to allow someone with no color science background to use our app and get started. Then as their interest and knowledge grows they can explore more and more of the features in the app. But approachability for a new user is very important to us, and is something where I think we can still do better.

I think a PDF walkthrough would be great. I found hopping in and out of the help menus clumsy within the app itself as a complete newbie. I tried to put together a quick basic-one for new users in the mold of other tutorials I found on forums. Something official would be nice.
post #1325 of 2247
CalMAN 5.1.1 build 1179 available for download.

ss
post #1326 of 2247
Greyscale done, and was tighter, with only about 5 minutes of DDC to fine tune. Currently doing the 125 Point - now where is that 96 Colours part for me to look for when I go back upstairs?
Ran a reading with the C6 first, and thought that my readings sure went out of calibration since my last run, but then did the profile off the i1Pro, and now the readings were all well back to within normal change rates. Can't believe the differences between the C6 and C6 profiled off the i1Pro! Is it all those 3360 LEDs in the Backlight throwing the C6 that far off?
Found the 96 Colours - keep forgetting about that little icon in the Upper Right Corner - problem was, it was now 1:30AM - will try again tomorrow night.
Edited by p5browne - 4/6/13 at 7:22am
post #1327 of 2247
With my calibration finished if DVDO DUO died is it possible to upload your workflow back on these units without having to redo your calibration again? Will the same apply to Lumagen owners ?
post #1328 of 2247
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillysally View Post

CalMAN 5.1.1 build 1179 available for download.

ss

damm you are fast. Just about to post this one on here smile.gif
post #1329 of 2247
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillysally View Post

CalMAN 5.1.1 build 1179 available for download.

ss

Downloaded thanks for the heads up.
Quote:
New features

- AutoCal now supports CMS calibrations at multiple saturation and luminance levels. Options available will depend upon the capabilities of the pattern generator.

- The ColorChecker has now been expanded to include many options, including custom color patches. Selections are available under Options for the layout. Custom patches can be created in the Custom Color Set Editor found under the Start Menu.

- Updated DVDO Duo support to use native controls

- Added support for Flanders Scientific displays in the Cube Generator

Im curious about the Updated DVDO DUO support to use native controls. Which native controls are now added?
Edited by Franin - 4/6/13 at 7:11am
post #1330 of 2247
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

Downloaded thanks for the heads up.
Im curious about the Updated DVDO DUO support to use native controls. Which native controls are now added?

Not exactly native controls, that was probably worded incorrectly.

We centered up the saturation and luminance controls so you can now push things a little bit further. Grant this will cause some clipping, but it can still be useful for calibrating at 75% saturation.
post #1331 of 2247
Quote:
Originally Posted by sotti View Post

Not exactly native controls, that was probably worded incorrectly.

We centered up the saturation and luminance controls so you can now push things a little bit further. Grant this will cause some clipping, but it can still be useful for calibrating at 75% saturation.

...to which I say HOORAY!!!!

It's not only useful at 75% Saturation, but necessary.
post #1332 of 2247
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

With my calibration finished if DVDO DUO died is it possible to upload your workflow back on these units without having to redo your calibration again? Will the same apply to Lumagen owners ?

You can download/upload Duo setting using the DVDO Duo Control Panel application that can be downloaded here. Much thanks to forum member mdehoog for all of his hard work developing this invaluable tool for the Duo.
post #1333 of 2247
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilgore View Post

...to which I say HOORAY!!!!

It's not only useful at 75% Saturation, but necessary.

I agree
post #1334 of 2247
Quote:
Originally Posted by slb View Post

You can download/upload Duo setting using the DVDO Duo Control Panel application that can be downloaded here. Much thanks to forum member mdehoog for all of his hard work developing this invaluable tool for the Duo.

I'm going have to download that. Thank you for that.
I actually thought if you bought a new DVDO/LUMAGEN and wanted your last calibration uploaded you connect the DVDO/LUMAGEN load your last work session and it should be uploaded in your settings.
post #1335 of 2247
No, adjustments are made to the processor continuously throughout the calibration process. There is no concept of uploading as such.
post #1336 of 2247
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVfile View Post

No, adjustments are made to the processor continuously throughout the calibration process. There is no concept of uploading as such.

It would of been nice.
post #1337 of 2247
That's not just the release notes, that's the whole thing boys!17.jpg18.jpg19.jpg20.jpg
post #1338 of 2247
Can i use, the Color Cube calibration workflow , with the test pattern on Client PC ?
The reason i do this , i want to calibrate my HTPC , so the patten is coming from PC .

I find the test pattern is send the wrong signal ? ie black pattern is displayed with maybe 20 or 30 ire ?
post #1339 of 2247


Hi all
Im just trying to get a better understanding of the dynamic range being that the colours are around 1 and the red slightly above 1 does that mean I still have plenty of head room? If its close to 1.5 thats when its at its limits? Correct me if im wrong guys this bit here is was trying to get a better understanding of.

Thank you
post #1340 of 2247
Frank,
I think the important thing is the graphs are linear, i.e. none of the colors are hitting a plateau as luminance increases.
The real test is when you try to hit luminance levels above 100.

Stefan
post #1341 of 2247
Quote:
Originally Posted by sotti View Post

For the most part the difference between power 2.2, sRGB and BT.1886 is subtle, except in the shadow area. In the low end sRGB and BT.1886 come out of black a bit quicker.

Personally I use BT.1886, but sRGB is very similiar.

Either way the chromaticy targets you want are the same rec.709 and sRGB have exactly the same primaries and white point.

I am surprised... are you calibrating for brightly lit rooms? In my dark room, I usually run at 2.3 for MOST movies, but for SOME movies 2.2 is more appropriate.
post #1342 of 2247
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post



Hi all
Im just trying to get a better understanding of the dynamic range being that the colours are around 1 and the red slightly above 1 does that mean I still have plenty of head room? If its close to 1.5 thats when its at its limits? Correct me if im wrong guys this bit here is was trying to get a better understanding of.

Thank you

you want them on top of each other, but based on what your plot it would look like you have a bit of work to do on the grey scale.

the chart if for seing if a color drops off and is not following the others, that would indicate your display is clipping at a given point.
post #1343 of 2247
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

I'm going have to download that. Thank you for that.
I actually thought if you bought a new DVDO/LUMAGEN and wanted your last calibration uploaded you connect the DVDO/LUMAGEN load your last work session and it should be uploaded in your settings.

I think that the DUO has several Profiles that can be used within its chip but has the added advantage that via Michaels Program you can have as many as you want stored on your computer which will then need the uploading you mention but are useful for any firmware upgrade that may restore factory defaults etc..

The program also allows Custom Colours to be prepared and stored with import and export features.
Next non beta version of Calman will probably have something similar.
post #1344 of 2247
Quote:
Originally Posted by visca blaugrana View Post

you want them on top of each other, but based on what your plot it would look like you have a bit of work to do on the grey scale.

.

I got all DeltaEs way below 3. What more can I do ?

Thanks
Edited by Franin - 4/7/13 at 7:35am
post #1345 of 2247
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVfile View Post

Frank,
I think the important thing is the graphs are linear, i.e. none of the colors are hitting a plateau as luminance increases.
The real test is when you try to hit luminance levels above 100.

Stefan

Thanks Stefan
post #1346 of 2247
Most of you guys using Lumagen? I'm using the Duo I guess I can only go so far with this unit.
Edited by Franin - 4/7/13 at 7:36am
post #1347 of 2247
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

Most of you guys using Lumagen? I'm using the Duo I guess I can only go so far with this unit.

Depends on how linear your Display is.

Certainly my DUO gives me excellent Colorchecker results of average dE 0.65 maximum dE 1.47.
post #1348 of 2247
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

Most of you guys using Lumagen? I'm using the Duo I guess I can only go so far with this unit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PE06MCG View Post

Depends on how linear your Display is.

Certainly my DUO gives me excellent Colorchecker results of average dE 0.65 maximum dE 1.47.

Same here. I get excellent results with the Duo paired to our 55GT50 plasma (average dE 0.59, max dE 1.38). In the case of the GT, I was only able to get the dE values this low by calibrating the color gamut at 75% saturation. I doubt we would ever notice any significant difference/improvement in PQ if we switched to a Lumagen.
post #1349 of 2247
I redid again this time going back and forth ( didn't realise it changes values ) but with better results. It has taken me over 51/2 hours. I'm done.
post #1350 of 2247
With the meter facing the screen at what distance is it recommended to place the meter? I was told today it should be at least 1-2 feet away from screen. i was under the impression that it should be close to your seating position. if it is 1-2 feet can the meter be angled up to avoid its shadow ?

Thank you
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Display Calibration
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Display Calibration › CalMan 5 Release Notes and Discussion