or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Display Calibration › CalMan 5 Release Notes and Discussion
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

CalMan 5 Release Notes and Discussion - Page 65

post #1921 of 2247
Will Calman 5.x ever run on Mavericks/Mac OS ? Am currently running Calman Enthusiast on a Windows partition with VMware on Mac Book Air ( the only reason I continue to use Windows). All works as is--but would be great if....smile.gif
post #1922 of 2247
I wish that one of the Major Calibration Software Developer's for TV Calibration would develop a Mac OS/Maverick Version. I only have to use windows for my Calibration software and Windows is still and always will be a PIA.
post #1923 of 2247
I guess no 5.2.2 this Friday!
post #1924 of 2247
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenee View Post

I wish that one of the Major Calibration Software Developer's for TV Calibration would develop a Mac OS/Maverick Version. I only have to use windows for my Calibration software and Windows is still and always will be a PIA.

If Mac owned more than 10% of the market developers would be a lot more willing to put in the considerable effort required to write a native Mac version of their software. It's the same reason Macs have relatively fewer hack attacks, so you can count the blessings of having a tiny market share too! Goes both ways.
post #1925 of 2247
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post

If Mac owned more than 10% of the market developers would be a lot more willing to put in the considerable effort required to write a native Mac version of their software. It's the same reason Macs have relatively fewer hack attacks, so you can count the blessings of having a tiny market share too! Goes both ways.

I picked up a refurbished HP 17" Laptop for $299, upgraded the 8.0 Windows to 8.1, (Installed Classic Shell) and it's only used for Calibrating My LG 55LHX. My older 15.6" Laptop was upgraded to 8.1 and it's used to do all the other TVs in the house. This is a small investment to calibrate your set.
Since they're only used for calibrating, they don't get infected! (Hint: leave out JAVA!)
post #1926 of 2247
Quote:
Originally Posted by p5browne View Post

I picked up a refurbished HP 17" Laptop for $299, upgraded the 8.0 Windows to 8.1, and it's only used for Calibrating My LG 55LHX. My older 15.6" Laptop was upgraded to 8.1 and it's used to do all the other TVs in the house. This is a small investment to calibrate your set.
Since they're only used for calibrating, they don't get infected! (Hint: leave out JAVA!)

I did the same thing. I have a little Acer laptop I got for $299 and use it for CalMAN and REW. A 17" screen would be nice, though I hook a second monitor up to it and my desktop spans monitors.
post #1927 of 2247
Quick question about CalMAN, the CalMAN 5.0 with i1 Display is what I would need with a projector, right? Thx.
post #1928 of 2247
I bought CalMAN v5 Control Edition back when CalMAN RGB was non-existent and CalPC was the only program for PC profiling, which I purchased, expecting that it would work with CalMAN v5. I had no need for CalPC up until today, but I learned that I can't use it with CalMAN v5 and I can't really afford CalMAN RGB or the Enthusiast edition either. I feel like I was ripped off... Is there a chance that in this holiday spirit SpectraCal would upgrade my CalPC to CalMANRGB without a charge if I e-mail and ask them? They provided tech. support e-mail, but is that who I should be e-mailing? What is their customer support or sales e-mail?
Edited by MonarchX - 12/28/13 at 3:26pm
post #1929 of 2247
how can I turn off the meter sound effect that Calman does for each meter read ?
post #1930 of 2247
I found a slight problem with CM 5.2 and the Lumagen as a pattern generator... when you enter 0.25 s as the pattern delay, the reads go crazy.... 0.5 s works fine...
post #1931 of 2247
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Mike View Post

I found a slight problem with CM 5.2 and the Lumagen as a pattern generator... when you enter 0.25 s as the pattern delay, the reads go crazy.... 0.5 s works fine...

It's not a problem, it's simply that it needs at least 0.5s (if not a bit more) to display the patterns and get a reliable read from your meter. I think 1s is the default for the Radiance. You can try to optimise that but make sure it doesn't affect the accuracy of the reads, even if only occasionally. It will be different for each display technology, as some displays need more time to stabilize after the pattern is displayed. A too short delay could get you faster results but easily skew a 125 points calibration without you realizing. It could also slow down a calibration if it causes more reads per points (if the results are not repeatable / the points are misread due to a too short delay).
post #1932 of 2247
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manni01 View Post

It's not a problem, it's simply that it needs at least 0.5s (if not a bit more) to display the patterns and get a reliable read from your meter. I think 1s is the default for the Radiance. You can try to optimise that but make sure it doesn't affect the accuracy of the reads, even if only occasionally. It will be different for each display technology, as some displays need more time to stabilize after the pattern is displayed. A too short delay could get you faster results but easily skew a 125 points calibration without you realizing. It could also slow down a calibration if it causes more reads per points (if the results are not repeatable / the points are misread due to a too short delay).

no worries, not using CM to calibrate ;-)

btw, there is no way to ensure it "doesn't affect readings" within CM as u don't have a reference, but we've been using 0.5s within CM and that has been working fine when comparing to reads done with with LS, everything below 0.5s and the reads go nuts in CM...

any way to turn off the annoying meter read sound effect ?

Thanks.

- M
post #1933 of 2247
Well, you have the reference of the default 1s pattern delay, the safe one that always works smile.gif

You could always turn the sound of the calman app down in the windows sound mixer if you dislike the sound. I think it's a great way to know if the app is active or not without having to look at the screen.
post #1934 of 2247
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manni01 View Post

Well, you have the reference of the default 1s pattern delay, the safe one that always works smile.gif

absolutely ! I was referring to accuracy in general, but you are absolutely right when it comes to the Lumagen ! smile.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manni01 View Post

You could always turn the sound of the calman app down in the windows sound mixer if you dislike the sound. I think it's a great way to know if the app is active or not without having to look at the screen.

yeah, if I need a sound effect to know the app is active, then it's time to use a different app biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif I know the app is active because I see the reads...

w/o going too much into detail, it is still invoking a sound effect, ergo system resources, which can cause tiny delays / freezes... and it does it over and over for each read.

with the K10 - which reads very fast - our CM reports take too long considering the amounts of patches that are being read - compared to LS which just plain and simple fires the reads... MUCH faster with same equipment, same reads.

in addition, there is always the consideration that CM itself already takes up a lot of system resources and there's no need to increase any of that... there's lots of opinions about what happens when u go over 50% physical usage (on ur PC) on time based synced processes, in this case meter reads....

wasn't there an option in v4 to turn the sound effect gimmick off ? (can't remember)....

Thanks.

- M
post #1935 of 2247
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonarchX View Post

I bought CalMAN v5 Control Edition back when CalMAN RGB was non-existent and CalPC was the only program for PC profiling, which I purchased, expecting that it would work with CalMAN v5. I had no need for CalPC up until today, but I learned that I can't use it with CalMAN v5 and I can't really afford CalMAN RGB or the Enthusiast edition either. I feel like I was ripped off... Is there a chance that in this holiday spirit SpectraCal would upgrade my CalPC to CalMANRGB without a charge if I e-mail and ask them? They provided tech. support e-mail, but is that who I should be e-mailing? What is their customer support or sales e-mail?

As a prior owner of CalPC you should have gotten an email from us offering a free upgrade to CalMAN RGB when it came out. Since you also own CalMAN 5 Control contact us and we will make sure you get CalMAN 5 Enthusiast which includes RGB.
post #1936 of 2247
Now that I have CalMan Client 3 installed (I've had it for a while now) can I just go ahead and uninstall the older CalPC Client? They are both running now.
post #1937 of 2247
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilgore View Post

Now that I have CalMan Client 3 installed (I've had it for a while now) can I just go ahead and uninstall the older CalPC Client? They are both running now.

Yes you only need CalMAN Client 3.
post #1938 of 2247
The current release of CalMAN 5 is "only" supporting a few different sizes of / APL test patterns via the Lumagen Radiance. Would it be possible to implement it more flexible ? I am thinking about:

1. Test pattern size = 0 ... 100% in steps of 0.1%
2. APL = 0 .. 100 % in steps of 1%

Also the "old" sizes "small" and "mid" aren't available anymore, so there is no chance for comparisons between new and old calibrations.
post #1939 of 2247
Hello.

I own CALMAN V5 Enthousiast (last beta). I would like to calibrate my laptop (where calman is running). Do I need to install another calman software ?

Thanks
post #1940 of 2247
hi alex wink.gif

Joel or derek will correct me if i'm wrong, but from my understanding : with your enthusiast version, you have access yo calman rgb, you only need CalMAN Client 3.
post #1941 of 2247
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manni01 View Post

I don't need anyone to explain to me which software I should be using.

Nobody told you what "you should use". You can use a light meter for all I care biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif


Joel / Derek (or anybody else @ Spectracal):

is it possible to turn off the sound effect ?

and while I'm asking: is it possible to turn off the animation of the point flying towards it's gamut target ?


would be great to be able to disable these features, anything to speed up things...


Thanks.

- M
post #1942 of 2247
Adding to the Calman wish list:

1. A pause button. In case you need to turn on a light or leave the room.

2. A useful help file. For example how does this help?: "Pattern Delays – by default we have a small delay on our patterns to allow screens time to stabilize before taking readings. If you are noticing unstable readings one option to improve readings is to "

3. Why is the magnified target inset shown before the reading and not after?

4. +1 on disabling the sound effect

td
post #1943 of 2247
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Mike View Post

Nobody told you what "you should use". You can use a light meter for all I care biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif


Joel / Derek (or anybody else @ Spectracal):

is it possible to turn off the sound effect ?

and while I'm asking: is it possible to turn off the animation of the point flying towards it's gamut target ?


would be great to be able to disable these features, anything to speed up things...


Thanks.

- M

I also think the mechanical Hasselblad camera sound is a bit much but I guess you can always turn the volume down on your computer.
post #1944 of 2247
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manni01 View Post

It's not a problem, it's simply that it needs at least 0.5s (if not a bit more) to display the patterns and get a reliable read from your meter. I think 1s is the default for the Radiance. You can try to optimise that but make sure it doesn't affect the accuracy of the reads, even if only occasionally. It will be different for each display technology, as some displays need more time to stabilize after the pattern is displayed. A too short delay could get you faster results but easily skew a 125 points calibration without you realizing. It could also slow down a calibration if it causes more reads per points (if the results are not repeatable / the points are misread due to a too short delay).

Aren't the pattern delay and read time two different things?
post #1945 of 2247
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVfile View Post

Aren't the pattern delay and read time two different things?

They are but if you read the pattern before the display has had time to settle (which depends on the display technology) the read might either not happen or be inaccurate. So the pattern delay is connected to the meter read speed and accuracy.
post #1946 of 2247
Thanks. So in theory they could write a piece of software that uses the meter to figure out what the optimum delay is and self configure the option, thus making a huge savings for everyone?
post #1947 of 2247
Me personally, I find I pretty well know how long an AutoCal will take, and I just go down and post some more on the AVS Forum while I'm waiting!
post #1948 of 2247
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post

I also think the mechanical Hasselblad camera sound is a bit much but I guess you can always turn the volume down on your computer.

Jim, I have a strong feeling that being able to disable these gimmick effects (sound, animation etc) will improve SPEED of the app and save system resources... wink.gif

- M
post #1949 of 2247
^ what are you doing with the system while calibrating? Majority of CPU cycles will be spent waiting for the meter and pattern generator.
post #1950 of 2247
I don't think the sound effects are gimmicky, at least not when doing some manual calibrating.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Display Calibration
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Display Calibration › CalMan 5 Release Notes and Discussion