or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP › Am I just unlucky - Epson 5010
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Am I just unlucky - Epson 5010

post #1 of 11
Thread Starter 
Hi,

I purchased an Epson 5010 projector to replace my 8700UB.

I found dynamic iris to be far worse than on my 8700UB, and also found covergence to slightly worse as well. Also, there was a red tinge to the picture that didn;t exist on the 8700UB.

So I called Epson, and thety swapped out the projector.

With my new unit, I see no fixes to the above (besides maybe slightly less of a red 'tinge'). However, there is now a red 'bar' visible in the top right hand corner (covers maybe 50pixels down and 1000 pixels across). What could be causing that bar? Could something have become faulty with my HDMI cable or receiver? Could there be some magnetism somewhere? Or is it a sign of yet ANOTHER faulty projector?

Lastly, has anyone else done a direct comparison with the 8700UB and experienced such issues?

Thanks in advance for the help!
post #2 of 11
I would run a different and direct short HDMI cable from a device just to be sure bypassing everything.

Did they send you a refurb or a new unit as a replacement?
I think it is important when buying the 5010 to get a new one for replacement as you have better luck with convergence. QC has always been an issue with the Epson refurb exchanges, even though people yelled at me for pointing it out in these forums smile.gif

That said, some are luckier than others.
post #3 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by coderguy View Post

I would run a different and direct short HDMI cable from a device just to be sure bypassing everything.
Did they send you a refurb or a new unit as a replacement?
I think it is important when buying the 5010 to get a new one for replacement as you have better luck with convergence. QC has always been an issue with the Epson refurb exchanges, even though people yelled at me for pointing it out in these forums smile.gif
That said, some are luckier than others.

Yep, tried a shorter cable connected directly to a laptop - same issue frown.gif
I did get a new unit as a replacement (not a refurb). I do not know what more to do? Do I need to get yet another replacement?
post #4 of 11
Did you try different sources (not just an HTPC, try bluray player, etc...)?
post #5 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by coderguy View Post

Did you try different sources (not just an HTPC, try bluray player, etc...)?

I have tried an HTPC, Laptop and PS3 - all with the same red bar on the top right frown.gif
post #6 of 11
I would call up again and get another replacement. If the next one is no good, then I'd say, 3 strikes and your out. Time for a different projector.
post #7 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdevil77 View Post

I would call up again and get another replacement. If the next one is no good, then I'd say, 3 strikes and your out. Time for a different projector.

Thanks - q is - what do I do after the 3rd strike?
post #8 of 11
Is the line there with no source plugged into it?
If not, then you might try passing a different type of signal (YCbCr if currently set to RGB).
post #9 of 11
Thread Starter 
How do I tell if the line is there without a source?
On the pattern test, it is really hard to see (as it is blue). The only way to tell correctly is with a white image on the screen.
Either way, it needs to work on HDMI as that is how my current setup is, and I would expect it to work correctly with that (especially since that is the only way to get 3D).
I have tried both HDMI ports though on the projector, and both present the same issue frown.gif
post #10 of 11
Get it replaced asap, as stated if you get another faulty unit it's probably time to move on to something else.

Jason
post #11 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGamePimp View Post

Get it replaced asap, as stated if you get another faulty unit it's probably time to move on to something else.
Jason

Thanks. I really was hoping there was a quick fix before I had to go about the swap-out process again.

Anyway, if the 3rd one is faulty, I'd be very keen to move onto something else like the Panasonic (which is almost equal in performance). However, what would I do with the Epson? Think they will refund me?

It's really a shame, as I kept to the Epson brand as my 8700UB was FANTASTIC, straight out the box! Either I was lucky, or Epson's QC has deteriorated frown.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP › Am I just unlucky - Epson 5010