or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Programming › "Major Crimes" on TNT HD
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

"Major Crimes" on TNT HD - Page 3

post #61 of 108
Thread Starter 
Damn that was a brutal episode this week. It was much less predictable than last week but you could tell where the show was heading. The climax was still well done though. GW Bailey was really on form.

Has anyone else noticed that the promo they run during the commercials where Provenza talks about the director in the first episode of this season and Buzz replies "He makes talkies" was never actually in the first episode?
post #62 of 108
Thanks, I watched that show.
I see the Promo all the time and could not recall that line in the show.
It's a great line.
I wonder why they did not use it , perhaps it did not set the right tone for the scene.
post #63 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post

Damn that was a brutal episode this week. It was much less predictable than last week but you could tell where the show was heading. The climax was still well done though.

It was a pretty intense show, but not the first time a family member took the fall for a kid. It's hard to keep coming up with original plot lines. It really comes down to the interactions of the characters. I thought Sharon had some really good scenes.
post #64 of 108
I thought they did a pretty good job with this storyline... though, they didn't really give us any reason to suspect the brother.

Dad was uber-sympathetic to his daughter, so much so that they wanted you to think something was up with that... Similarly, mom was so opposed to anything but her son it made it easy to point the finger her way... but the brother, they never gave a hint at anything until that last reveal. That's the only part that bugged me... they pulled that last clue out of nowhere to swing the twist in the story. I always hate when shows do that.

Meanwhile, someone needs to just sit down and talk with Rusty. They aren't doing him any favors by talking behind his back about whether he is or isn't gay. They should be able to have a simple/sensitive conversation with him and avoid what I can only think is building to some majorly awkward blowup at some point...
post #65 of 108
Thread Starter 
This week ranks as one of the worst episodes so far for me. This could have been a powerful, dramatic episode but it was as subtle as a gun to the head and as overly melodramatic as something you would find on Lifetime.

The token "ripped from the headlines" moment at the beginning was really weak, the use of an internet meme proves once again how TV writers are always a year too late, the music was overbearing and instead of enhancing the scene just made them all less dramatic, the parallels with Rusty repetitious, the ADA becoming increasingly stupid with procedure and clueless with even legal strategy ...

And it's really annoying me now how every week a civilians, witnesses and suspects walks into the murder room in the middle of an investigation and they never cover the board, but this week when Kris' mother walked in they did. There's something wrong with the priorities in the squad room.

The ending I saw coming and it might have been the only way to dilute the melodrama that had preceded it, but then they dropped in the music again and had the father shouting at the sky "I did this for you Matty!" and we were back to Lifetime once more.
post #66 of 108
Yes, you could see the entire plot/solution unfolding long before it did, including the ending.
post #67 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Too_Many_options View Post

Thanks, I watched that show.
I see the Promo all the time and could not recall that line in the show.
It's a great line.
I wonder why they did not use it , perhaps it did not set the right tone for the scene.

It was used. My g/f and I both remember it.
post #68 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post

The ending I saw coming and it might have been the only way to dilute the melodrama that had preceded it, but then they dropped in the music again and had the father shouting at the sky "I did this for you Matty!" and we were back to Lifetime once more.

Yeah, it was telegraphed just by having the surrender happen out front with no apparent security. Also agree that Rusty is really a weak arc in the show. The kid's acting ability just makes it worse.
post #69 of 108
Nice show with the "old timers"' good to see them in action.
post #70 of 108
Thread Starter 
Yeah it was a fun episode.

But Rusty. He is really starting to grind now. Someone get him in therapy so we don't have to see any more awkward and repetitive scenes why he can't date the girl.
post #71 of 108
please can we have a episode without rusty.
post #72 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by clipper57 View Post

please can we have a episode without rusty.

Let's all chip in and send a case of RUST-OLEUM to the shows producer.
post #73 of 108
Unlike others here I have no issue with Rusty, but tonight's penultimate episode really pushed credibility with Rusty in the room during the "private" FBI briefing. Weak writing on an otherwise very well done show. I liked that they mentioned Brenda for the first time this season. It would be fun for a bit of role reversal if she guest starred in an episode and interfered with Rador's investigation as the reverse was done on the Closer...
post #74 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt L View Post

Unlike others here I have no issue with Rusty, but tonight's penultimate episode really pushed credibility with Rusty in the room during the "private" FBI briefing. Weak writing on an otherwise very well done show. I liked that they mentioned Brenda for the first time this season. It would be fun for a bit of role reversal if she guest starred in an episode and interfered with Rador's investigation as the reverse was done on the Closer...
I'm just the opposite. I liked the Rusty storyline last night for the first time in several episodes. I just can't believe that a room full of cops, especially the one he lives with, can't see how bad he's hurting and how scared he is.
post #75 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt L View Post

Unlike others here I have no issue with Rusty, but tonight's penultimate episode really pushed credibility with Rusty in the room during the "private" FBI briefing. Weak writing on an otherwise very well done show. I liked that they mentioned Brenda for the first time this season. It would be fun for a bit of role reversal if she guest starred in an episode and interfered with Rador's investigation as the reverse was done on the Closer...

Rusty in the room pretty much made any semblence of a classified meeting a joke. Add to that two uniformed officers in the background just listening in. The episode other than those escapes was decent. That Rusty could just lay letters up in a cabinet and no one over time has ever looked into that cabinet is beyond belief. Office space has been discussed as an issue on the series so an empty office which just stays empty with no one checking it is, IMO, stupid. Rusty will, at some time, be threatened and the girlfriend will inform Sharon about the letters.
post #76 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoilerJim View Post

I'm just the opposite. I liked the Rusty storyline last night for the first time in several episodes. I just can't believe that a room full of cops, especially the one he lives with, can't see how bad he's hurting and how scared he is.

I don't disagree with you. He is hurting, but he has free rein of the murder room, he could have gleaned info in other ways besides sitting in on a classified FBI briefing.
post #77 of 108
I don't find the actor as much of a problem as I do the conflicting storyline. One week they want us to think he might be gay and doesn't want to tell the girl... the next week they lead us to believe whether he is gay or straight he just doesn't want a relationship... and now it seems like they're going for he likes her but is genuinely scared... I think the kid (he may not be a kid, he might be a 20 year old playing a kid.. I haven't looked him up to see) is doing the best he can with a schizophrenic character definition. I'm ok wherever they want to take Rusty's character... but I wish they'd quit bouncing all over the map.
post #78 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by crabboy View Post

It was used. My g/f and I both remember it.


I remember it also.
post #79 of 108
Thread Starter 
I am 99% certain that scene was not shown. I replayed the scene to check when I saw the promo in the first commercial break.

100% certain. I just rewatched the scene online and that "talkies" line is not included.

In hindsight I can see why they cut it. The levity seems out of place with Provenza's sombre mood about the fact he is the last man standing from his academy and he feels somewhat tired of the seeing the same thing year after year.
Edited by VisionOn - 8/17/13 at 2:13am
post #80 of 108
Must of have been the power of suggestion. cool.gif
post #81 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post

I am 99% certain that scene was not shown. I replayed the scene to check when I saw the promo in the first commercial break.

100% certain. I just rewatched the scene online and that "talkies" line is not included.

In hindsight I can see why they cut it. The levity seems out of place with Provenza's sombre mood about the fact he is the last man standing from his academy and he feels somewhat tired of the seeing the same thing year after year.

I was 99% sure you were correct... I did not remember that during the episode BUT I do remember it airing EVERY week during an early commercial break... so I think people have seen it so many times, including that first week, that their brains think it was part of the show.
post #82 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMe2 View Post

I was 99% sure you were correct... I did not remember that during the episode BUT I do remember it airing EVERY week during an early commercial break... so I think people have seen it so many times, including that first week, that their brains think it was part of the show.

We both are "99%" sure we saw it.....but many studies have shown the unreliability of eyewitnesses. Your theory may be accurate.
post #83 of 108
Thread Starter 
TNT missed an opportunity there. If the promos had been deleted scenes I would have watched them all and remembered what advertising partner they were using.
post #84 of 108
Liked the episode a lot. Following the perp instead of finding the murderer near the end added a different element to the story. I liked the detective work that was done in catching up to the suspect as it was done in a way that felt very authentic. That the Rusty Saga is turning, might bring that to a head and maybe a conclussion early next season. All in all, very enjoyable.
post #85 of 108
Thread Starter 
Knowing the murderer from the outset does make the episodes more interesting and less formulaic, but I'm not a fan of the flashy killers on Major Crimes. I much prefer it when they stick to more realistic basis for crime as this show is one of the few that actually feels like a police show instead of a Michael Bay cop fantasy.
post #86 of 108
I take it that ratings have been good... since we are getting more new episodes in November instead of waiting until next summer again.
post #87 of 108
Thread Starter 
There's a part of me that thinks Kris is writing all the letters. I do t know how the show would justify that, but it sure would make her continuous and repetitive presence mean something more than just someone for Rusty to emotionally bounce off.
post #88 of 108
I actually considered that... except... IF that were the case, I'm not sure why she would be the one to rat out Rusty. It seems like her plan would be to simultaneously be threatening to him AND earn his trust... so revealing the letters that he had hidden seems counter-productive.

I don't know what to make of the letter campaign... and it appears as though Sharon is going to get the next one....
post #89 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post

There's a part of me that thinks Kris is writing all the letters. I do t know how the show would justify that, but it sure would make her continuous and repetitive presence mean something more than just someone for Rusty to emotionally bounce off.

Can't see that at all. Heavy smoker and savvy enough to wear gloves while writing. She's just a character in Rusty's life. I go for someone who is being paid off by the murderer to put pressure on Rusty. Maybe the defense attorney.
post #90 of 108
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMe2 View Post

I actually considered that... except... IF that were the case, I'm not sure why she would be the one to rat out Rusty.

It's very far-fetched and unlikely I admit, but the fact that the moment that Kris revealed the letters had just been piling up in a cupboard and having no effect, it was funny that the secret admirer chose to start writing to Raydor.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: HDTV Programming
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Programming › "Major Crimes" on TNT HD