or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › A/V Control & Automation › Home A/V Distribution › 6 speaker audio system
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

6 speaker audio system

post #1 of 17
Thread Starter 
For this customer I am also installing a projector, 7.1 surround sound, 3 flat screens, a bunch of cat-6 for internet, a bunch of cat5 for later use, and a surveillance system. I have the wiring done for all this, the only thing left to do is the 6 speaker system.

Basically the he has 6 rooms in his basement, he wants one speaker, and one volume control in each room. I can talk him into changing this layout if needed.

Could you please suggest a layout for me. If it could be broken down into zones, I would say probably 2 zones as 3 rooms are on the left side of the basement and 3 rooms on the right side.

I forgot to ask him what he wanted to use as a source, I will find out tomorrow.

Thanks,
Kris

Gear mentioned in this thread:

post #2 of 17
One speaker in each room? Mono? Not even Stereo?
post #3 of 17
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by olyteddy View Post

One speaker in each room? Mono? Not even Stereo?

Ya, he just wants some background music. I am installing Niles Audio Speakers, 8ohm. I am just wondering how I am going to wire 6, I know how to wire 8 speakers in series/parallel, because you do 2 and 2, 2 and 2, and that keeps everything at 8ohms, but I am a little confused about 6.
post #4 of 17
OMFG!!!
post #5 of 17
ok, I'll be nice today.

Each room should have a dvc speaker if the homeowner wants only one speaker in each room. They should be told to have a stereo pair in each room though. Better sound and separation.
These speakers are wired to a vc in each room.

The wiring should go back to the 7.1 receiver where a small amp is connected to zone 2 from the receiver. The amp is then feeding a 6 pair speaker selector. Then to the vcs and speakers.

IPVision, this is really, really, extremely basic stuff.
Edited by ifor - 8/19/12 at 4:09am
post #6 of 17
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ifor View Post

ok, I'll be nice today.
Each room should have a dvc speaker if the homeowner wants only one speaker in each room. They should be told to have a stereo pair in each room though. Better sound and separation.
These speakers are wired to a vc in each room.
The wiring should go back to the 7.1 receiver where a small amp is connected to zone 2 from the receiver. The amp is then feeding a 6 pair speaker selector. Then to the vcs and speakers.
IPVision, this is really, really, extremely basic stuff.

I understand to you this may be basic, but I am just now getting into audio installations. The majority of my work is installing surveillance systems and computer networks, but lately I have been getting into home theater installation.

The customer wants to use a separate receiver for the 6 speaker system. We have the 7.1 installed in the theater, and he has a seperate family room that will also have a TV, DVD Player, and Receiver. I was not planning on using the same receiver to power the speakers.

I agree, he should use 2 pairs of speakers in each room as it will give much better sound. I will see if we can fit it in the budget. If we did decide to go that route, how would I wire the speakers then? Also if I use DVC speakers I will have to pull a second pair of wires right? Please bare with me I have been studying as much as possible to try to learn proper speaker wiring.

Thanks
post #7 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by IPVision View Post

I understand to you this may be basic, but I am just now getting into audio installations. The majority of my work is installing surveillance systems and computer networks, but lately I have been getting into home theater installation.

This is why you're getting these reactions to your questions. If you're doing this "professionally" (aka - charging clients for the work performed), you should already know the answers to these very basic installation questions. Spend some time reading and learning. Asking the forum members to do your job - which you're getting paid for, and we're not, is what bothers folks.

That said, you should definitely push your client to have stereo speakers in any room larger than a closet. Any pro would tell them the same thing. The rest of your questions will depend on what the client actually wants to do with the system (sources, flexibility, control, etc.) and of course the budget.

Jeff
post #8 of 17
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post

This is why you're getting these reactions to your questions. If you're doing this "professionally" (aka - charging clients for the work performed), you should already know the answers to these very basic installation questions. Spend some time reading and learning. Asking the forum members to do your job - which you're getting paid for, and we're not, is what bothers folks.
That said, you should definitely push your client to have stereo speakers in any room larger than a closet. Any pro would tell them the same thing. The rest of your questions will depend on what the client actually wants to do with the system (sources, flexibility, control, etc.) and of course the budget.
Jeff

I am not asking anyone to do my job, no one is performing the labor but me, I am not getting paid to do this research. I am only asking for advice on here and if you feel that is to much of a task then dont respond...

I have a lot of other projects going on and I dont have all the time I need to do the proper research so yes I have come here to ask the pros for some help/advice. I had to fire my co worker who usually handled all this stuff for me so now I am just a one man operation with more work then I can handle, but I am trying my hardest.

The only reason I am branching into audio installs is because the majority of my customers who I do cctv installs for also want home audio distribution, plus my supplier carries everything I need for the installs. Plus I love this type of work.

I have customers I have been dealing with for years and trust me to get the job done and I have been given the time needed to do my research and perform the install.

Wiring in series and parallel may seem simple to all of you but I am having trouble understanding it. I can install, maintain, and troubleshoot complex computer networks as I have a degree in NSA, but ohms and series and parallel wiring is taking me a while to understand which is why I turned to the forums for some advice.

I can probably get him to do 2 pairs of speakers.

So it will be 2 pairs of speakers in each room.

Six rooms, one volume control in each room.

Sources will be radio, cd player, internet radio from receiver, and ipod dock.

All sources and power will be located in the family room, which is one of the six rooms.

Budget should stay reasonable small as he does not plan on pumping the music very loud.

Thanks for your advice.
post #9 of 17
The 'speaker selector box' will relieve you of the need to worry about ohms.

Zone 2 of the family room AVR will run to the SSB, and all conductors from the SSB will run to the VCs.

You will install a pair of speakers in each room. In those rooms smaller than a closet, you will use a DVC speaker, which is supplied by 4 conductors.

I would also run category cable to the VC locations, to provide for future upgrading.

You should take a closer look at Nuvo and Russound, using a music server, instead of using VCs.
post #10 of 17
If the SSB is impedance matching (I haven't seen one that isn't), the VCs should not be impedance matching.
post #11 of 17
Or you could forego the SSB and use impedance matching VCs. The SSB would be replaced with a speaker connecting block.
post #12 of 17
The term 'speaker selector box' is a misnomer. When I used one, all the speakers were always selected, never touched it.
post #13 of 17
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neurorad View Post

The 'speaker selector box' will relieve you of the need to worry about ohms.
Thats awesome
Zone 2 of the family room AVR will run to the SSB, and all conductors from the SSB will run to the VCs.
Understood
You will install a pair of speakers in each room. In those rooms smaller than a closet, you will use a DVC speaker, which is supplied by 4 conductors.
None of the rooms are smaller then closet so I wont have to worry about using DVC speakers
I would also run category cable to the VC locations, to provide for future upgrading.
He wants Cat6 everywhere in the basement, I'll run some so the VC locations
You should take a closer look at Nuvo and Russound, using a music server, instead of using VCs.
I think those are out of his budget, he already spent the majority of his budget on the theater room, so I will have to stick with basic components for this install
post #14 of 17
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neurorad View Post

Or you could forego the SSB and use impedance matching VCs. The SSB would be replaced with a speaker connecting block.

I think impedance matching VCs would be the best route. I will have to verify with my supplier that they carry those VCs, I'm sure they do. They have the full line of Niles Audio products.
post #15 of 17
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neurorad View Post

The term 'speaker selector box' is a misnomer. When I used one, all the speakers were always selected, never touched it.

Misnomer- A wrong or inaccurate name or designation

Got it. Haha, had to look that word up.
post #16 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by IPVision View Post

I am not asking anyone to do my job, no one is performing the labor but me, I am not getting paid to do this research. I am only asking for advice on here and if you feel that is to much of a task then dont respond...

This is mostly a forum for diyers to ask pros and other hobbyists questions about their project(s).

YOU ARE NOT A DIYER!! You are getting paid as a "professional" in this line of work. I don't mind helping out others here and it shows in my other posts, but...

You are getting paid for the suggestions others, and myself, are giving you. As for me, this is the last time I while be giving you help.
You should be informing your customers of the fact you do not know how to do audio systems and should doing this work for free, for the experience.
post #17 of 17
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ifor View Post

This is mostly a forum for diyers to ask pros and other hobbyists questions about their project(s).
YOU ARE NOT A DIYER!! You are getting paid as a "professional" in this line of work. I don't mind helping out others here and it shows in my other posts, but...
You are getting paid for the suggestions others, and myself, are giving you. As for me, this is the last time I while be giving you help.
You should be informing your customers of the fact you do not know how to do audio systems and should doing this work for free, for the experience.

My customers do know that I do not specialize in audio distribution, I specialize in CCTV and Network installation. This is why they have agreed to give me the time I need to research and find the best solution for them. I have done other work for them, and they know I am capable.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Home A/V Distribution

Gear mentioned in this thread:

AVS › AVS Forum › A/V Control & Automation › Home A/V Distribution › 6 speaker audio system