or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Rear Projection Units › 2012 Mitsubishi 3D DLP Owners Thread (C12/642/742/842 series)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

2012 Mitsubishi 3D DLP Owners Thread (C12/642/742/842 series) - Page 35

post #1021 of 1188
Quote:
Originally Posted by lparsons21 View Post

Blinking green light and no video.

Tech that will come had me try a lamp but said he didn't think that was it, and it wasn't.

So now I'm just in a holding pattern watching TV on my 24" (yechhhh) Sony PS3 3D display. frown.gif

DId you ever have any issues with the lamp/TV shutting off? On my set, every so often, I will turn the TV on and a few minutes later the lamp and Tv shuts down for some reason. Which is separate from the TV automatically shutting off when there is no signal.
It's only happened a few times and hasn't really been a big deal. But I wonder if this is a precursor to the lamp dying? I never did get a spare bulb.
post #1022 of 1188
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

DId you ever have any issues with the lamp/TV shutting off? On my set, every so often, I will turn the TV on and a few minutes later the lamp and Tv shuts down for some reason. Which is separate from the TV automatically shutting off when there is no signal.
It's only happened a few times and hasn't really been a big deal. But I wonder if this is a precursor to the lamp dying? I never did get a spare bulb.

That has happened with almost every DLP that I've owned. I wonder if it has to do with an update that was installed if you have an ethernet cable plugged in? It doesn't happen that often but it's kind of disconcerting when it does because you think that the TV might be going bad?
post #1023 of 1188
Quote:
Originally Posted by lparsons21 View Post

Blinking green light and no video.... frown.gif

My 73C12 has shut down on its own a couple times now for no known reason. It restarts fine and keeps going. I have audio fed from cable STB to an AV receiver, so I don't know if the TVs audio is affected. I just figured it picked up a stray IR signal. I hope it's not a defect.
post #1024 of 1188
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

DId you ever have any issues with the lamp/TV shutting off? On my set, every so often, I will turn the TV on and a few minutes later the lamp and Tv shuts down for some reason. Which is separate from the TV automatically shutting off when there is no signal.
It's only happened a few times and hasn't really been a big deal. But I wonder if this is a precursor to the lamp dying? I never did get a spare bulb.

No I haven't had that issue. Things have been flawless since delivery until this showed up.

I'm not mad because the set shot craps, that happens even with the best of gear. I'm mad because Mitsi isn't on the ball to get it fixed. The tech they are sending said 'sometime early next week', well it is now Tuesday and still no appt made. And knowing that it will take 2 trips to get it done, the time to repair is unsat.

Frankly I'll be glad when the mfg warranty is done with and I can use a local tech and have him paid by my 3rd party extended warranty.
post #1025 of 1188
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzDragonLord View Post

My 73C12 has shut down on its own a couple times now for no known reason. It restarts fine and keeps going. I have audio fed from cable STB to an AV receiver, so I don't know if the TVs audio is affected. I just figured it picked up a stray IR signal. I hope it's not a defect.

This has also happened to my 73C12. I have ~1600 hours on the TV since October and it's happened 2-3 times; I'm able to turn the TV back on right away.
post #1026 of 1188
Quote:
Originally Posted by lparsons21 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

What happened?

Blinking green light and no video.

My son's 73837 had the same issue. He updated the firmware thru a USB stick and everything was fine
post #1027 of 1188
Does anyone have the service manual for this series (specifically the WD-73C12)? The link in the first post is broken.
post #1028 of 1188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Augerhandle View Post

My son's 73837 had the same issue. He updated the firmware thru a USB stick and everything was fine

Glad to hear that. I'd be even gladder to hear the tech show up and fix my set. 12 days later, no fix, no tech! frown.gif
post #1029 of 1188
I had the same issue, but mine ended-up being a bad HDMI cable. TV would come on, but the green light would just blink and I could not get into the menu. Replaced the HDMI cable between my receiver and the TV and it worked fine. It was hard to imagine since everything had worked fine for 6+ months.

Did Mits get your issue resolved?
post #1030 of 1188
No they didn't! frown.gif
post #1031 of 1188
I'm looking to get a new 80" HDTV and love the picture quality of my Sony 2007 KDS 60A3000, would the Mits 82" 842 or 742 model have a similar picture quality? I belive the Sony is DLP technology and would love the same look only larger. Looks like I can still get one of these 2012 models, but would not be able to preview it before I purchase. I will have a dedicated room for a larger screen soon but wanted to see if anyone could make a comparison on my current Sony vs. the Mits model, I want to make sure the look and feel would be very close. I'm not really interested in thin, LED, etc. Appreciate any insight.
Thanks
post #1032 of 1188
We thought the mits looked as good or better than other larger format tvs we could see in person in our area, and the mits pricing was about 50% less than other models with the same (or similar) sized screens. After more thna 6 months, we still dfeel like we made out like bandits on our 82"
post #1033 of 1188
If any of you guys are needing a spare lamp, just put in a request for 1 at the mits site.

https://mitsuparts.3diamonds.com/

From what I understand, you have a 1 year warranty for lamps. I've only owned my TV for about 7 months now, but wanted to have a lamp on hand in case my other 1 burnt out.

I ordered mine (for free) and got it within a week later. biggrin.gif

Right now it doesn't seem as though you can buy the lamps anywhere for the 2012 models, gotta put in a warranty request for 1 if you need em. redface.gif
post #1034 of 1188
Quote:
Originally Posted by yadfgp View Post

If any of you guys are needing a spare lamp, just put in a request for 1 at the mits site.

https://mitsuparts.3diamonds.com/

From what I understand, you have a 1 year warranty for lamps. I've only owned my TV for about 7 months now, but wanted to have a lamp on hand in case my other 1 burnt out.

I ordered mine (for free) and got it within a week later. biggrin.gif

Right now it doesn't seem as though you can buy the lamps anywhere for the 2012 models, gotta put in a warranty request for 1 if you need em. redface.gif

Looks like your picture needs to be out, or the lamp light needs to be red to order a warranty replacement.

I wouldn't mind ordering one for when ours eventually fails. Who wants to be without tv for a week or so?
post #1035 of 1188
I got lucky and my 835's lamp faded. I was able to order a new lamp and keep the old one as a spare
post #1036 of 1188
Just to be anal, Sony has NEVER made a DLP. The model you list is not DLP (Digital Light Processing). It is SXRD which is a variation on LCoS (Liquid Crystal on Silicon). Both are rear projection but they are not the same chip technology. Also it is very hard to compare the two sizes. The screen area of the 82" is more than twice the size of the 60". However the signal content is the same. This means automatically the signal tifacts will be easier to see on the larger TV and the larger TV will be less bright. However, it is very suprising how good the Mitsubsihi 82" is.
post #1037 of 1188
Quote:
Originally Posted by yadfgp View Post

If any of you guys are needing a spare lamp, just put in a request for 1 at the mits site.

https://mitsuparts.3diamonds.com/

From what I understand, you have a 1 year warranty for lamps. I've only owned my TV for about 7 months now, but wanted to have a lamp on hand in case my other 1 burnt out.

I ordered mine (for free) and got it within a week later. biggrin.gif

Right now it doesn't seem as though you can buy the lamps anywhere for the 2012 models, gotta put in a warranty request for 1 if you need em. redface.gif

I wanted a spare lamp on hand when I bought my 73742 and after finding no way to order one online with Mitsi, I called them. After a bit of false starts they finally just sent me one free.

Of course since then, the set has shot craps and after nearly a month no tech has shown up with a part or anything else. He tells me he should have the main board in this week and get over here this week. I'm not holding my breath. Because of the extremely poor service performance from Mitsi, I cannot recommend them for any products at all for any reason. The 73742 is a great set and much better than the company that made it from my POV. frown.gif

Once the set is finally fixed I plan on becoming a very big thorn in their side, and since I am retired I have plenty of time to do just that!
post #1038 of 1188
Quote:
Originally Posted by GEP View Post

Just to be anal, Sony has NEVER made a DLP. The model you list is not DLP (Digital Light Processing). It is SXRD which is a variation on LCoS (Liquid Crystal on Silicon). Both are rear projection but they are not the same chip technology. Also it is very hard to compare the two sizes. The screen area of the 82" is more than twice the size of the 60". However the signal content is the same. This means automatically the signal tifacts will be easier to see on the larger TV and the larger TV will be less bright. However, it is very suprising how good the Mitsubsihi 82" is.

You're right. I believe that the only two DLP manufacturers were Samsung and Mitsubishi and I'm sure someone will chime in if I'm wrong.
post #1039 of 1188
Quote:
Originally Posted by lujan View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEP View Post

Just to be anal, Sony has NEVER made a DLP. The model you list is not DLP (Digital Light Processing). It is SXRD which is a variation on LCoS (Liquid Crystal on Silicon). Both are rear projection but they are not the same chip technology. Also it is very hard to compare the two sizes. The screen area of the 82" is more than twice the size of the 60". However the signal content is the same. This means automatically the signal tifacts will be easier to see on the larger TV and the larger TV will be less bright. However, it is very suprising how good the Mitsubsihi 82" is.

You're right. I believe that the only two DLP manufacturers were Samsung and Mitsubishi and I'm sure someone will chime in if I'm wrong.


JVC, Toshiba, and others have produced DLP's, but had to drop out early due to quality problems
post #1040 of 1188
Quote:
Originally Posted by yadfgp View Post

If any of you guys are needing a spare lamp, just put in a request for 1 at the mits site.

https://mitsuparts.3diamonds.com/

From what I understand, you have a 1 year warranty for lamps. I've only owned my TV for about 7 months now, but wanted to have a lamp on hand in case my other 1 burnt out.

I ordered mine (for free) and got it within a week later. biggrin.gif

Right now it doesn't seem as though you can buy the lamps anywhere for the 2012 models, gotta put in a warranty request for 1 if you need em. redface.gif
Received mine in the mail yesterday....WOOHOO. Thanx for the tip!
post #1041 of 1188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gareee View Post

Looks like your picture needs to be out, or the lamp light needs to be red to order a warranty replacement.

I wouldn't mind ordering one for when ours eventually fails. Who wants to be without tv for a week or so?
Fib and receive a free replacement now...they won't check your story.
post #1042 of 1188
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzDragonLord View Post

Fib and receive a free replacement now...they won't check your story.

They don't want the old lamp back?
post #1043 of 1188
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

They don't want the old lamp back?
Just got mine last week, they don't want the old bulb returned.
post #1044 of 1188
Well I'm back in the big screen viewing business! smile.gif

FINALLY got a tech over here with the 'main board' in hand, took less than an hour to fix. Of course, it took right at a month to get someone with the parts to fix it and I'm damned unhappy about that! frown.gif

Mitsi gets a grade of 'F' from me for service and support and I'm just about finished drafting the email/letter I'm going to send to the highest ranking person in the company that I can. No valid reason for such poor service imo.

I love the set and the fact that something broke within 6 months of purchase doesn't even irritate much, but to diddle around for a month getting it fixed is unsatisfactory!
post #1045 of 1188
A little follow up.

I sent an email to them yesterday expressing my extreme displeasure at the way the warranty service was handled. They called today all apologetic and offered to extend the warranty 6 months.

I turned that down as I have an extended warranty that keeps me covered for 5 years, so I told them instead send me a lamp assembly. They agreed to that. So while I'm still not happy with the service, I am somewhat placated.

Frankly I'll be glad when the factory warranty expires so that the 3rd party extended warranty kicks in and I can use the repair guy that is about 10 miles away and not be dependent on Mitsi trying to get a much further repair center to come over here.
post #1046 of 1188
You did the right thing. They offered to extend my warranty 6 months, and the next time I called no one knew anything about it.
post #1047 of 1188
I've seen other posts indicating that their memory isn't all that good! smile.gif

So, yeah I thought I did the right thing. Now I'll have 2 spare lamp assy's, and the tech that did the work told me that if I needed one later that he offers to install a new Phillips or OSRAM bulb into my assembly for a reasonable fee of about $120. I doubt that I'll use his service for that as I can do the work myself, or at least I can these days. At some point I won't be able to do it because of shaking hands as I get older.

I noticed that after he swapped the board, the ADV1 and ADV2 settings weren't part of 'video' settings. Seems they have to be selected in the main menu structure first and then they are available. Otherwise it was swap board, turn on and watch. Didn't need to change much in 'setup' at all, and certainly not any of the video settings other than lower the contrast from the max it was set to.
post #1048 of 1188
It has been just about a month since the main board replacement occurred and all is good. I really love this DLP!

And Mitsi honored their promise and sent me a lamp assy, so now I have two of them so I should be good for quite some time. smile.gif
post #1049 of 1188
Quote:
Originally Posted by lparsons21 View Post

...And Mitsi honored their promise and sent me a lamp assy, so now I have two of them so I should be good for quite some time. smile.gif
same here! smile.gif
post #1050 of 1188
It's a shame they discontinued the DLP. I still don't see any HDTVs larger than 70" available in LED or Plasma.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Rear Projection Units
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Rear Projection Units › 2012 Mitsubishi 3D DLP Owners Thread (C12/642/742/842 series)