or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Rear Projection Units › 2012 Mitsubishi 3D DLP Owners Thread (C12/642/742/842 series)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

2012 Mitsubishi 3D DLP Owners Thread (C12/642/742/842 series) - Page 9

post #241 of 1188
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAMSJUNKIE View Post

New owner with the 73742! Im excited but at the same time very frustrated about this, I am also the owner of a 65738 that ive had for barely over 2 years and absolutly loved he tv untill 6 months ago the tv started a flickering in the top right and left sides of the screen I replaced the bulb and it fixed it for about 4 months then it came back, I replaced the bulb yet again and this didnt fix it this time:mad: There is nobody in my area that fixes these tvs and sadly I didnt buy any extended warranty with this tv so I gave up on it thinking by the time i drive it hours away and possibly pay hundreds and hudreds dollars hoping they fixed it so I just broke down and orderd this tv from best buy it was too good a deal to pass up at only 1260. I paid 1899 for my 65738! I bought the 4 year warranty for this one so hopfully I have better luck this time, But I absolutly loved this tv I think the picture is just as good or better than any plasma or lcd tv out there.
Does it feel a lot bigger? I've got a 65C9 and would like to upgrade. I thought about a 73" but I'm not sure it's worth the upgrade. I think I want the 82".
post #242 of 1188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gareee View Post

Do the playstation glasses work with the 82742, or would they need an emitter as well? Also, is there a general thread about 3d glasses anywhere here, or one specific to the 82742?
From what I'm reading, we'll want to replace our old hdmi cables with new hi speed hdmi cables.
With our current setup, all our hdmi devices went into our home stereo, and then that outputted to the 50" plasma.
From what I'm reading though, with this tv, we'll want to hook our hdmi devices up the the tv, and then use a digital coax cable to output audio to the stereo. Is that the correct setup?
Would we see/hear any significant difference if we just plugged the hdmi out from the stereo, and used it for switching video to the new TV? (Assuming we replaced all the standard hdmi cables with the new hi speed ones.)
While our TV travelled 1850 miles in two days, it looks like it'll take 4 MORE days for it to arrive from a 3 hour drive away. NOT happy about that, but nothing that can be done about it.
Lots to learn in a few days!

The Sony Playstation glasses work and are a cheap alternative if you do not want to spend a lot of money to see if you like 3D.

Without knowing more about your home stereo I cannot comment on the best way to wire your new TV. If your recevier supports 3D you can run the cables from your source to your receiver like you have it now. If your receiver does not support 3D you will need to go directly to the TV with HDMI. Going from the TV back to the receiver with digital coax is the easiest method of getting sound back to the receiver. I have noticed that doing this with DirecTV the audio sometimes is out of sync with the video. For most of my sources I run HDMI from the source to an HDMI switch and also run a TOSLink cable from the source to the receiver. It requires more cables, but that way the dialog is not out of sync.
post #243 of 1188
Quote:
Originally Posted by squeakybirnbaum View Post

Does it feel a lot bigger? I've got a 65C9 and would like to upgrade. I thought about a 73" but I'm not sure it's worth the upgrade. I think I want the 82".




I'll have to answer that one in a few days I just orderd it yesterday it has already been shipped but im sure its gonna be a week or so before It finally gets here. I afraid its gonna be too big I sit about 11 feet from the tv and the 65" is huge to me. I play a lot of call of duty and worried its gonna be so big im gonna miss things I normally see because the screen is so big.
post #244 of 1188
Anybody want to buy a 65738 for cheap and is close to arkansas Ill have one for sale in a few days! Like I said in my earlier post tv works great except for the flickering in the background after its been on for a few hours, could be somthing simple but I have no Idea. only 2 years old
post #245 of 1188
Does anybody here know the differnce between a hdmi 1.3 and a 1.4? Im really not sure what I have honestly lol, Im getting a 73742 I still have my 65738 and had no problems viewing 3d or hd content it all looks good. and I really dont think i have hdmi 1.4s so do I need to get them? any help with this matter would be greatly appriciated I thought I might be missing out on better picture quality or better 3d but didnt know.
post #246 of 1188
One more question I currently have the 65738 and im getting a 73742 I read earlier in this thread they went back to a matte screeen? does anybody know what the 2010 model i currently have have a matte screen? Just wondering if there was gonna be a differnce or not I cant find anywhere where it says what kind of screen the 738 series had on it, excuse me for being stupid about these types of things.
post #247 of 1188
When I got my 73842 delivered I still had my 73838 and the thing I easily noticed was the color of the screens when they were turned off and both in view. It was very easy to see that the 73838 when off had a very dark screen versus the 73842 which has a kind of very light gray tint to it. When both TVs were turned on I could see that the 73842 also had a brighter picture. As far as the screen material itself both had what appear to be identical screen.
post #248 of 1188
Ours arrived today, and setup perfectly! I did see what looked like a odd screen isues, and thanks to someone's post here, found it was minor reflection from a window.

No one mentioned that you really want a specific height for the stand for the tv.. ours is slightly too high, resulting in what looks like darker top corners. The only solution I can think of for that is builing a platform for our couch from 2x4s and some plywood.

I love of smooth the colors look, and want to find some other user's advanced setting for the best picture setup. (At least a base starting point.)

We initially accidentlly set it up for retail instead of home, and that locks you out of video settings. To readjust that, you pull up the menu, and hit 1,2,3 and enter. (I had to call Mits to find that out.)

We are heading out to best buy to pick up some of those samsung glasses that supposedly work with it right now.
post #249 of 1188
To get out of the Retail mode, simply turn off the TV and allow it to compelet the turn off sequence and then turn it back on. When in the Retail mode, it gives you the opertunity to change to Home mode every time you turn on the TV.
post #250 of 1188
Anybody order there TV from best buy? It says the shipment is coming in on pilot economy Im wondering if there just gonna try to drop the thing off or will they actually come in and unbox it and make sure everything works and nothing is damaged before they try to get me to sign and haul butt? anybody have any experience with this?
post #251 of 1188
I was confused about the 3d glasses type, but finally picked up playstation 3d glasses that work perfectly on our new 82742.

We watched avatar in 3d, and it was just jaw droppingly good!

We then started to setup the ps3 for 3d games, and ran into problems. We could set it up for 1080p, but we never for the size menu up to adjust sceen size.

Our old home theater setup had everything running into the yamaha reviever, and we used its remote to switch hdmi. if you use that setup, however you do loose the mit's ability to auto detect 3d... and the ps3 will NOT set up 3d properly.

We finally direct connected the ps3 to the 82742, and managed to get it's video setup properly.

After playing a few games in 3d, we are kind of amazed more people have not gone the 3d route!

I can't say enough nice things out our tv purchase now.

BTW, Walt's delivery says they just dump it at your doorstep. We might be the exception, but the driver was concerned about driving his 18 wheeler up our gravel mountain road, but pulled it up about 1500 feet on a pallet mover. (We pushed for the back for assistance.) He also said it didn't weigh much, and we unboxed it, and he helped me carry it into the house as well. Outstanding service!

(I tipped him generously for the help, since it avoided argueing with my wife.. LOL!)

Night viewing is also improved over viewing during the day, and it'll be a while before I get the settings where I want them.

Many thanks for the previous asistance posts here!
post #252 of 1188
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gareee View Post

I was confused about the 3d glasses type, but finally picked up playstation 3d glasses that work perfectly on our new 82742.
We watched avatar in 3d, and it was just jaw droppingly good!
We then started to setup the ps3 for 3d games, and ran into problems. We could set it up for 1080p, but we never for the size menu up to adjust sceen size.
Our old home theater setup had everything running into the yamaha reviever, and we used its remote to switch hdmi. if you use that setup, however you do loose the mit's ability to auto detect 3d... and the ps3 will NOT set up 3d properly.
We finally direct connected the ps3 to the 82742, and managed to get it's video setup properly.
After playing a few games in 3d, we are kind of amazed more people have not gone the 3d route!
I can't say enough nice things out our tv purchase now.
BTW, Walt's delivery says they just dump it at your doorstep. We might be the exception, but the driver was concerned about driving his 18 wheeler up our gravel mountain road, but pulled it up about 1500 feet on a pallet mover. (We pushed for the back for assistance.) He also said it didn't weigh much, and we unboxed it, and he helped me carry it into the house as well. Outstanding service!
(I tipped him generously for the help, since it avoided argueing with my wife.. LOL!)
Night viewing is also improved over viewing during the day, and it'll be a while before I get the settings where I want them.
Many thanks for the previous asistance posts here!

Congrats on the new purchase! It is strange that your Yamaha doesn't pass the 3D detection signal. I have everything going through my Onkyo receiver and the Mits detects everything without error. I received my Avatar 3D box set a couple of weeks ago and have yet to break the plastic on it. Work is not being nice to my video watching, however I did just watch Amazing Spiderman 3D. You will have many years of happiness with your set. As for Walts delivery, you have to pay for the white glove delivery for the into the house and unboxing service.
post #253 of 1188
We didn't pay for the white glove delivery at all, but since the driver was so nice to help us out, I felt tipping him was appropriate.

No idea why the Yamaha doesn't pass the 3d through, but I've only tested it now on media streaming, and 3d gameplaying on the ps3. Playing a 3d bluray might be detected, but we don't own any yet.

We purchased the extended avatar blu ray, and I was going to double dip for the 3d version, until I found out they didn;t even include the extended version on the new limited set, so i just downloaded avatar 3d as an initial test. (I also needed to see if we could reliably stream 1080p and 3d, and that worked flawlessly.)

We have a wireless extender in the house, and and also added a ethernet bridge ot the ps3 so it could receive the 5ghz signal. (Its far away from our modem.)

My wife just tried prince of persia 3d this am, and the ps3 does rememer that we have the 3d tv now, without the direct connect. We still have old cheap hdmi cables on right now, but once the hi speed ones arrive with the digital audio cable, I'l swap things out properly for the set. (We also get the Wii U on saturday night, so I'll be wireing that in as well.. I HOPE the hdmi cable it comes with is also hispeed, since the system is 1080p.)

We watched Munsters this am on the set, and ts amazing how much detail you can pick out on a larger screen, even on something this old.
post #254 of 1188
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAMSJUNKIE View Post

Anybody order there TV from best buy? It says the shipment is coming in on pilot economy Im wondering if there just gonna try to drop the thing off or will they actually come in and unbox it and make sure everything works and nothing is damaged before they try to get me to sign and haul butt? anybody have any experience with this?

I did. They said they only bring the TV past the threshold (meaning 'front door'). Said I would pay them if they'd would just unbox, place on the stand, and take the empty box with them?
Took all of 2 minutes. Offered a $10 bill and accepted. No problemo. Didn't feel it needed "testing" since there was no apparent damage anywhere. And even if there was, I could still have reported it as either concealed damage.
Good luck with yours!
post #255 of 1188
Anybody had a 73742 professional callibrated or even callibrated yourselves? I dont have the tv yet should be here first of next week but just looking for a starting point with the picture.
post #256 of 1188
Well, this is my first DLP tv and at first I was very happy with the performance. But unfortunately, after about 2 weeks of enjoying my 73742, I started seeing flashes of red/gren/blue bars appear on various parts of the screen where my eyes weren't focused. I almost thought it was my imagination. To verify that I wasn't just hallucinating, I stared at my computer monitor and then my smaller 42" tv to see if i was seeing the same thing on those devices. I could not reproduce the effect on those other monitors.

Then it occurred to me that maybe this was the dreaded DLP rainbow effect that I was experiencing. Sure enough, after some research, I now think that is what I am seeing. Wow, this is really annoying.

It is very strange that I didn't see these "rainbows" while demo-ing the TV in the store. Or that it took at least 2 weeks for it to show up for me at home. I can't really explain it. But I do know that I am having trouble not seeing them anymore. I can now just hope I get used to it over time and maybe learn to ignore the effect.

Overally, I am still satisfied with my purchase. The image quality otherwise is very good. And for the price I paid, it is still the best bang for the buck. I hope that I can live with this set until the next big thing in TVs becomes affordable (65"+ OLED or 4k screens).

Anyway, I'm sorry if this rainbow stuff is old news to everyone in this forum. I just thought I would share my experiences and remind any potential new buyers about this issue with DLP. Does anyone else have trouble ignoring the RBE on these 2012 models?
post #257 of 1188
e did find out one ditressing thing today with our 82742. The digital audio out ONLY pututs 5.1 sound.. NOT 7.1! e got our digital audio cable in the mail, hooked our ps3 directly to the tv as we need to for auto 3d detect, plugged the digital audio cable into our yamaha home theater receiver, and got no center channel sound at all.. in other words, you could hear everything else, except main screen "positional" sound like people talking. We argued for about an hour, hooked things up several different times, and even recalibrated the home theater with no luck fixing it.

I finally called mitsubishi, and after about 30 minutes with a very unhappy tech, he finally told us that only 5.1 was supported.

So, we can either:

Not have auto 3d detect with everything channeling into our home theater first
not have proper sound
Use the tv and only its two speakers

Obviously, just manually selecting 3d it our optimum choice, but not supporting 7.1 in the digital audio output in this day and age is pretty disapointing.

Luckily needed a digital audio cable as I had to use the left/right subwoofer speaker hookup in the past because I did not have it, so we just used the new digital audio cable on the subwoofer, for a better sound connection to our home theater.

I wonder if the next model up supports 7.1 output?
post #258 of 1188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gareee View Post

.
I wonder if the next model up supports 7.1 output?

I have to wonder why you aren't using an AVR.. The built in audio is not nor is a sound bar ever really intended to emulate that number of channels. It is only barely passable at faking multichannel audio at at all.
post #259 of 1188
Whats an avr? Audio video receiver? Thats what my yamaha is, but for some reason the mits cannot auto detect the 3d format when 3d content starts to stream.

Also, has anyone got links for firmware updates? I checked Mitsubishi's website, but there isn't anything listed for the 82742.
post #260 of 1188
I just got an 82742 and am having an issue with crosstalk/ghosting with 3d movie playback. I'm using these DLP link glasses: http://www.amazon.com/DLP-LINK-3D-Glasses-Projectors-Mitsubishi/dp/B004G2VJM6/ref=pd_sim_e_4 and my PS3 to play avatar 3d. During scenes of very fast action there is a large amount of ghosting in the video that makes it very annoying to watch. When there isn't much action the picture quality and 3d effect is great just like in the IMAX. Does anyone know what might be causing the issue, the glasses or the PS3 as a blu-ray player? Thanks!
post #261 of 1188
See if you can return them, and just get the PS3 3d glasses... best buy has them for $30 a pop, AND you can play those simuview games with them as well.

http://us.playstation.com/ps3/accessories/sony-playstation-3d-display-ps3/simul-view.html

The ps3 glasses are very sturdy, come with a protective cloth bag, and charge from the usual mini usb chargers like smartphones use. We love em!

We just watched avatar 3d ourselves with them 4 or 5 days ago with no issues at all.

Games that just look amazing on the ps3 in 3d are super stardust hd, and wipeout HD (the racing game). Both are in the PSN store, and are pretty affordable.
post #262 of 1188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gareee View Post

e did find out one ditressing thing today with our 82742. The digital audio out ONLY pututs 5.1 sound.. NOT 7.1! e got our digital audio cable in the mail, hooked our ps3 directly to the tv as we need to for auto 3d detect, plugged the digital audio cable into our yamaha home theater receiver, and got no center channel sound at all.. in other words, you could hear everything else, except main screen "positional" sound like people talking. We argued for about an hour, hooked things up several different times, and even recalibrated the home theater with no luck fixing it.
I finally called mitsubishi, and after about 30 minutes with a very unhappy tech, he finally told us that only 5.1 was supported.
So, we can either:
Not have auto 3d detect with everything channeling into our home theater first
not have proper sound
Use the tv and only its two speakers
Obviously, just manually selecting 3d it our optimum choice, but not supporting 7.1 in the digital audio output in this day and age is pretty disapointing.
Luckily needed a digital audio cable as I had to use the left/right subwoofer speaker hookup in the past because I did not have it, so we just used the new digital audio cable on the subwoofer, for a better sound connection to our home theater.
I wonder if the next model up supports 7.1 output?

7.1 surround sound cannot by carried on coaxial or optical digital cable ever. These can only be carried by HDMI (with HDCP copy protection) or already decoded and on 7.1 separate cables. This is not a TV issue, it is a 7.1 standards issue.

You don't mention what model of Yamaha you have but you should be aware that the Yamaha needs to specifically list 3D Pass Through support for HDMI in order to send Blu-ray 3D from your PS3 to your TV. If it does not have this support, the PS3 will not send a 3D signal to the Yamaha in order to be passed to the TV. Again, not a TV issue, a 3D standards and AV receiver issue.
post #263 of 1188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gareee View Post

See if you can return them, and just get the PS3 3d glasses... best buy has them for $30 a pop, AND you can play those simuview games with them as well.
http://us.playstation.com/ps3/accessories/sony-playstation-3d-display-ps3/simul-view.html
The ps3 glasses are very sturdy, come with a protective cloth bag, and charge from the usual mini usb chargers like smartphones use. We love em!
We just watched avatar 3d ourselves with them 4 or 5 days ago with no issues at all.
Games that just look amazing on the ps3 in 3d are super stardust hd, and wipeout HD (the racing game). Both are in the PSN store, and are pretty affordable.

Thanks I'll give those a shot. What settings do you have set on the TV for 3D, just leave it on automatic? I take it those glasses would use the IR emitter right? if so standard or reverse?
post #264 of 1188
Our home theater uses 7.1 sound, and the mits only outputs 5.1, so our ps3 is connected to our home theater first, and we use it to switch inputs. we have not seen 3d autodetect work as a result, so we just manually select the mode when we want to watch something in 3d. (I'm not sure, but I think our home theater might not be passing the 3d content info on to the tv properly.. I just installed hi speed hdmi cable last night, and have not yet tested to see if the 3d is being passed through properly and detected by the tv yet. (We were busy playing with our new Wii U on our set last night, and it looks fantastic on the 82742!)

It depends on the format of the content which mode you use... some things are top/bottom, and some are side-side, so we just switch to whatever 3d mode the content uses.

Even the 2d+ 3d works well with these glasses as well. if you are a gamers club member, you'l also earn almost a $5 back coupon with 2 sets of the glasses.
post #265 of 1188
Blu-ray 3D is neither Top/Bottom or Side-by-side, it is Frame Packing and Frame Packing will only pass through an AVR that is listed as supporting 3D Pass Through. While Top/Bottom and Side-by-side (which were designed primarly for cable and statellite broadcasts) uses only simple 1080i or 1080p or 720p, Frame Packing uses a much larger signal and thus requires the confirmation from your AVR as well as from your TV that 3D is supported before it will be sent.

It sounds like your AVR is more than 2 years old and does not support 3D Pass Through; again no body here can confirm that without the model number.

Your AVR should be able to play 5.1 audio properly even when it is also able to handle 7.1.
post #266 of 1188
Gareee, thanks i will give it a shot, can always return them if I'm not happy.


What bluray player/ 3d glasses combo is everyone else using and are you having any ghosting issues?
post #267 of 1188
Quote:
Originally Posted by GEP View Post

Blu-ray 3D is neither Top/Bottom or Side-by-side, it is Frame Packing and Frame Packing will only pass through an AVR that is listed as supporting 3D Pass Through. While Top/Bottom and Side-by-side (which were designed primarly for cable and statellite broadcasts) uses only simple 1080i or 1080p or 720p, Frame Packing uses a much larger signal and thus requires the confirmation from your AVR as well as from your TV that 3D is supported before it will be sent.
It sounds like your AVR is more than 2 years old and does not support 3D Pass Through; again no body here can confirm that without the model number.
Your AVR should be able to play 5.1 audio properly even when it is also able to handle 7.1.

My AVR is a Yamaha RX-V465. Is there a resource here that will let me know if it supports 3d pass through? (Or is it something you would spot right away?)

It doesn't make much sense to dumb down our audio experience to 5.1, but it would be nice to know it that is the actual issue we are running into. I am reather suprised though that a brand new Mits would not support 7.1 by now.
post #268 of 1188
Forgive me if I missed a post, but how do you tell the latest firmware version, and while I looked all over on Mitsubishi's website, I didn't see any firmware updates at all.

Since we didn't bother to add the net connection to our system (we don't use online ppv services) we'll have to do it manually.

Is there any way to easily check updates every month?
post #269 of 1188
I would really like to know if anybody has calibrated the 73742 or 83742 and has the settings that would be great! tried to google it to see if there was anything online and havent found anything yet. Getting my 73742 today between 1-5 and wanted to just get a starting point at some of the settings you guys on here have that look good.
post #270 of 1188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gareee View Post

My AVR is a Yamaha RX-V465. Is there a resource here that will let me know if it supports 3d pass through? (Or is it something you would spot right away?)

If the Yamaha supports 3D pass through (as the offical HDMI definition applies) the Owner's Manual would list and well as the spec sheets on the Yamaha web site - that is required by the HDMI organization. I looked it up, your AVR does not support 3D pass through which means the format of 3D for Blu-ray and 3D PS3 games will not pass through the AVR. The other formats, can pass through however the AVR cannot provide the trigger signal to the TV for auto detect. Why? Because the AVR is a 2009 model and there were no AVRs that offically passed 3D with the trigger signals until 2010.

Quote:
It doesn't make much sense to dumb down our audio experience to 5.1, but it would be nice to know it that is the actual issue we are running into. I am reather suprised though that a brand new Mits would not support 7.1 by now.

1. Are you sure of your model number for the AVR? Is it really RX-V465? The reason I ask is that model, while it can decode 7.1, is NOT a 7.1 AVR. It is a 5.1 AVR so it would be dumbing down the audio to 5.1 anyway http://usa.yamaha.com/product_archive/audio-visual/rx-v465_black__u/?mode=model. Look at the description at the top of the page above the model number.
2. Zero TVs can decode Dolby Digital TrueHD or DTS-HD. Why, becasue Zero TVs have the internal audio systems of the quality to be able to use these high end digital audio formats AND (this is really important) it is impossible to pass either of these via Coaxial Digital cable or Optical Digital cable. The only way to pass the two high end audio formats is via HDMI. Also all audio formats except for PCM Stereo (similar to Compact Disc audio) are optional and not required and add cost. So if the TV cannot use the HD audio formats itself, cannot pass the audio formats out to the AVR and is not required to support the HD audio, why add the cost (TV have the worst profit margin in the consumer electronics industry anyway)?
3. PS3 does not output, even via HDMI, Dobly Digtial True-HD when playing a 3D disc anyway - something about the 3D upgrade for the PS3 that did not allow for that feature - something to ask a Sony PS3 forum or the 3D forum.
4. The TV's software version is found in two places in the TV menu. First - press MENU on the TV remote control and it shown in the lower left hand corner of this first menu screen. Or go the INPUTS sub-menu and highlight UPDATE. Again is this shown in the lower left hand corner of the menu. Usually if Mitsubsihi does not list a software version on their web site, it means there has been no updates since they introducted the model. Normally they only list updated software on the web site and only the most recent version.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Rear Projection Units
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Rear Projection Units › 2012 Mitsubishi 3D DLP Owners Thread (C12/642/742/842 series)