or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Rear Projection Units › 2012 Mitsubishi 3D DLP Owners Thread (C12/642/742/842 series)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

2012 Mitsubishi 3D DLP Owners Thread (C12/642/742/842 series) - Page 23

post #661 of 1188
FIRST IMPRESSIONS

Ok I just got my 73642 bought from Pauls on Amazon for 1029. Great price, fairly quick shipping - they used CEVA and they brought it in, set it where I wanted (no easy feat, in the man cave and through the snow) waited for pic and sound and all was good. They were planning on putting a stand up, etc. But I didn't buy one .

SO onto the first impressions 73642 VS. 65736 Units are side by side. I am using OTA for 65" and cable 73" - picture is identical on the 65 between OTA and cable.
a. amazingly the 73" doesn't look much larger.
b . 73" remote response and overall tuner operation is much worse than on the 65" - no guide comes up on the 73 with cable but does with the 65", channel changing is spotty, etc.
c. I really hope the remote/guide issue isn't present using OTA as that is my main input - not cable. ON the 65 I can use both cable and OTA since it has 2 tuners, not so on the 73.

ON the picture - same settings on both, both out of the box, except I did lower the 73" brightness to match the lamp output on the 65" (1000-2000 hrs on lamp). 65" did NOT have the lens cleaned prior to test.
a. on daytime HD on several channels - the 73" is ever so slightly and I do mean ever so slightly , a slightly cleaner picture - REALLY is hard to tell them apart.
b. SD is probably about the same but in reverse with the 65" being ever so slightly cleaner.

Sound
a . Similar on both, might be just a bit more bass on the 65"

CONCLUSION:
Overall very happy with the tv., I love the DLP picture AND best of all I don't have to try to get rid of the 65" as they are almost identical in performance. To be honest I really couldn't see how the picture could be THAT much better.
So the 73" will be boxed up and the 65 worn out (I still have a warranty on the 65" for 2-3 more years).
post #662 of 1188
I see PaulsTV had a $50 price drop on the 82642 bundle I got with the coupons. They said they will credit my account the $50 difference since it was within 30 days of purchase.
post #663 of 1188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repdetect View Post

lparsons21
It may make sense, as I thought, but the mfgr says it's unnecessary. You'd think they would know.
Or you can rely on a delivery man's opinion.

Or I can just look at basic science. Very cold unit suddenly gets very not around lamp, that is literally a definition of how to get some condensate.

Now the issue isn't if you will get some, but will you get enough to cause a problem? Don't know. But I figure a quick test and then let it come to room temp before using for about an hour or thereabouts can't hurt and might help.
post #664 of 1188
Just placed my order for the 73742, can't wait. It will be replacing a 52" JVC LCOS.
post #665 of 1188
I just recieved my 642 three days ago...very nice!

Question:

Does anyone have a full calibration setting for this DLP?

Thanks.
post #666 of 1188
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

I see PaulsTV had a $50 price drop on the 82642 bundle I got with the coupons. They said they will credit my account the $50 difference since it was within 30 days of purchase.

Thanks for sharing that. Did you have to contact them on that to get it?
post #667 of 1188
Quote:
Originally Posted by yadfgp View Post

Thanks for sharing that. Did you have to contact them on that to get it?

I used the online chat. Not sure how long it will take for the credit to show up. I still have ten days until my 30 days is up. And I saved a copy of the chat and a copy of the webpage with the new price. So I'll give them a week and then contact them again if I don't see the credit anywhere.
post #668 of 1188
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

I used the online chat. Not sure how long it will take for the credit to show up. I still have ten days until my 30 days is up. And I saved a copy of the chat and a copy of the webpage with the new price. So I'll give them a week and then contact them again if I don't see the credit anywhere.

I actually tried that also after my last message, and it took about 10 minutes. Time to wait for me also. Thanks again. biggrin.gif
post #669 of 1188
Quote:
Originally Posted by King_David View Post

I just recieved my 642 three days ago...very nice!
Question:
Does anyone have a full calibration setting for this DLP?
Thanks.

Calibration is a very deep subject. I would not put much stock in any user specific settings. I use a Radiance because I like autopilot. Don't know on the 2012s but in Natural and Advanced mode on the 2011s blue is undersaturated. I use bright picture mode with lamp on bright. That gets fully saturated color unfortunately too saturated by a long way. Perfect Color and Perfect Tint if you have them are not terribly useful in fixing the oversaturation. Hence the Radiance! The 125 point calibration gets the set to a level that is impossible with the factory controls not perfect but very close.

When people provide settings I wonder what they are. Everyones lamp is at a different age, their ambient conditions are different and normal production variances apply. I am not saying somebody's settings can't look better than yours... but it is largely chance.

I will tell you that Natural and Low for grayscale are the closest you get out of the box.
post #670 of 1188
Quote:
Originally Posted by SantiP80 View Post

The following is from the instruction manual and is what I was referring to. I highlighted the pertinent information.

VNC is basically like gotomypc or logmein.. they are remote control applications. With vnc you don't just see still images. You see your mouse moving around, the cursor typing, etc, you could even see a youtube video. BUT, because it is compressed and sent over, the frame rate of a video will be like 1 or 2 frames a second. Very poor. Unbearable. Often the image compression also takes out a ton of the quality. Definitely not the way to stream video.

The other ways to stream video should be used. VNC will be really poor. On the otherhand it is a very convenient way to use your computer on a big screen for other non video uses.
post #671 of 1188
Just got my 73742 this morning and have been putting it through its paces. Very, very nice! Great picture, sharp and crystal clear with vivid colors. Now waiting for the Disney WOW disc to show up so I can get things tweaked.

I had a screwup today from fiddling. Got a 3D movie to check out how well that worked. Well it didn't look like 3D at all. Checked all the settings on the Sony 590 and they seemed right and finally found that I had turned off 3D on the DLP. Duh! smile.gif

One thing I'd like is a quick way to toggle the 3D between 'auto' and '2d conversion', but I can't seem to find any way to do that. Is there a way?

thanks.
post #672 of 1188
Never thought of the Disney WOW disc. I'll get that and do the adjustments to suit my viewing style. .

Also I think i will let the thing thaw for an hour or so. I need to read the manual after all.
post #673 of 1188
I was going to let mine sit for about an hour, but we had a pretty warm day today, so after I got everything connected, I let 'er rip!

I was surprised at how little fiddling I had to do to get things looking great. Just a bit of adjustments in the basics and I was good to go.

I have found that my 3D viewing will be at night because of the darkness of the glasses.
post #674 of 1188
Edit:
I made a poll for my 742 vs 842 question here: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1450920/mitsubishi-73-dlp-742-or-842
Edited by daiei27 - 1/10/13 at 12:16am
post #675 of 1188
Quote:
Originally Posted by daiei27 View Post

Edit:
I made a poll for my 742 vs 842 question here: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1450920/mitsubishi-73-dlp-742-or-842

I don't see a choice for the 642?
post #676 of 1188
Quote:
Originally Posted by yadfgp View Post

I actually tried that also after my last message, and it took about 10 minutes. Time to wait for me also. Thanks again. biggrin.gif

I see my $50 credit already online on the credit card summary from PaulsTV.
post #677 of 1188
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

I see my $50 credit already online on the credit card summary from PaulsTV.

Thanks for the update aaron. biggrin.gif

I just checked on mine a few minutes ago and nothing yet. It's only been I think 2 days now though since I bugged Pauls about it though.
post #678 of 1188
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

I don't see a choice for the 642?

I was thinking the same thing. tongue.gif
post #679 of 1188
After a couple months with my 73742, I finally picked up some 3D glasses and I have to say I was quite impressed. I was planning to spend $50 per pair but then decided to go the PS3 route for $20 each and I'm glad I did. The first thing I watched was the 3D version of the Avengers Blueray which was pretty impressive, next was the Green Lantern off On-Demand from our cable company which was less impressive but still fun. Have to see what else to watch this weekend, recommendations are appreciated.
post #680 of 1188
I watched Men in Black 3 in 3D last night, was very good.

I just wish there were some 3D glasses that weren't so damned dark! frown.gif

I've got Avengers 3D rented as well as Green Lantern, so I'll be checking them out soon too.
post #681 of 1188
I would say Avatar is always a good standard bearer for 3D movies.
post #682 of 1188
Avatar is vey good in 3D as well as Titanic.(Titanic was surprising good) I picked up both of those within the past week.

I've been watching some 3D content every day since i got my TV. I have been really enjoying it. Last night I watched the Dredd 3D BD.
post #683 of 1188
Anyone ever dealt with AGS for delivery? I ordered the 73742 from Pauls a few days ago and got an email to set up a delivery time, I chose the 10th between 9-12 and it was accepted. Got a tracking number and it showed it was in Phoenix, then Tucson at 4am this morning, and indeed scheduled to be delivered here (southern AZ, 1 hour from Tucson) today. Just called to check on the status as it's 1:30 and the guy says it just left Phoenix and isn't scheduled to be delivered until Monday. That doesn't seem right at all.
post #684 of 1188
Quote:
Originally Posted by SantiP80 View Post

I would say Avatar is always a good standard bearer for 3D movies.

I've heard that, but unfortunately for me it isn't available to rent locally and I tend to not buy many movies. frown.gif
post #685 of 1188
Quote:
Originally Posted by SantiP80 View Post

The following is from the instruction manual and is what I was referring to. I highlighted the pertinent information.


Actually, the VNC viewer is awful, even for still pictures, e.g. applications run on a computer displayed on the TV. I run my notebook computer directly to the Mits via a ~20 ft HDMI cable (see www.monoprice.com for excellent, low-priced cables) for both applications and movies. For watching videos from my desktop PC (i.e. wireless connection) I've tried TVersity via my Xbox, but there's no support for 5.1 audio (that I can see) and some content (same filetype, e.g. mkv) just won't play when others will. Either way, VNC should probably be your LAST (and hopefully avoidable) option.
post #686 of 1188
Quote:
Originally Posted by MANTI5 View Post

Anyone ever dealt with AGS for delivery? I ordered the 73742 from Pauls a few days ago and got an email to set up a delivery time, I chose the 10th between 9-12 and it was accepted. Got a tracking number and it showed it was in Phoenix, then Tucson at 4am this morning, and indeed scheduled to be delivered here (southern AZ, 1 hour from Tucson) today. Just called to check on the status as it's 1:30 and the guy says it just left Phoenix and isn't scheduled to be delivered until Monday. That doesn't seem right at all.


I don't think they scan their "tracking" labels. I have delivery tomorrow as well, and It still shows the last scan as phoenix as well. Mine is coming from Associated Air Frieght, a division of AGS. The delivery date hasn't changed, and I didn't order from Pauls either. I ordered from Amazon directly.
post #687 of 1188
Just got a call from fedex letting me know they have the tv now and it will be here tomorrow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrenaline78 View Post

I don't think they scan their "tracking" labels. I have delivery tomorrow as well, and It still shows the last scan as phoenix as well. Mine is coming from Associated Air Frieght, a division of AGS. The delivery date hasn't changed, and I didn't order from Pauls either. I ordered from Amazon directly.
post #688 of 1188
Quote:
Originally Posted by lparsons21 View Post

I've heard that, but unfortunately for me it isn't available to rent locally and I tend to not buy many movies. frown.gif

Yes, i definitely feel you on that... I remember when BluRay discs first came out they were priced significantly higher than DVDs, silly me, I thought the prices would have gone down by now but instead they have gone up...

If you had to buy a 3D movie though, Avatar is the way to go. I first saw it on IMAX 3D and was just shocked by the 3D technology, I didn't realize we were that far along. I later saw the movie at home on TV as regular 2D and wasn't really impressed by the movie. The 3D is what really makes the movie.
post #689 of 1188
My son had bought me Avatar 2D a bit back, so I just tried it using the 2D to 3D conversion of the Mitsi. Very impressive! Yeah, not true 3D but it did look amazingly better.

BTW, I just called Mitsi parts because I'm kind of anal about having a spare bulb. You can't order them online from them for some reason. The woman I talked to was fine with selling me one, but then she asked for the date of purchase and serial number and after telling me that I was under warranty, and I again explaining that I wanted a spare, she is sending me one gratis. She assured me I don't have to send the 'bad' one back as they don't do that. I'm tickled as that saved me a $100 and also lets me have that spare lamp just in case. I'm kind of anal about having a spare one.
post #690 of 1188
I would love to get one for free. But with my past experience with DLP sets, I have not needed a bulb replacement. I had considered getting one for my DLP I got in 2007 but it's still on the original bulb. So i'm glad I never purchased one.

I wonder if it's worth trying to get a free one? What is the normal warranty period on the bulb that comes with the TV?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Rear Projection Units
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Rear Projection Units › 2012 Mitsubishi 3D DLP Owners Thread (C12/642/742/842 series)