or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers › The Subwoofer Recommendation by Pricepoint Thread.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Subwoofer Recommendation by Pricepoint Thread. - Page 10

post #271 of 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson View Post

OK, I'll be the first to ask; what on earth are you talking about?

lol I was thinking the same thing.

btw are you still rocking that xs15 or do you have a different sub now(lvr12)?
post #272 of 299
I think those were replies to posts made in August 2012 in this thread.
post #273 of 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81 View Post

btw are you still rocking that xs15 or do you have a different sub now(lvr12)?

I sent the XS15 back a few months ago and have done probably 4 or 5 reviews since then. The next will be NXG's NX-BAS-500, and then the LV12R after that.
post #274 of 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson View Post

I sent the XS15 back a few months ago and have done probably 4 or 5 reviews since then. The next will be NXG's NX-BAS-500, and then the LV12R after that.

where can i read your reviews?
post #275 of 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81 View Post

where can i read your reviews?

There are a bunch of them right here on AVS, but one spot where you can find most of them grouped together is at this link. Look for the user named theJman.
post #276 of 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson View Post

There are a bunch of them right here on AVS, but one spot where you can find most of them grouped together is at this link. Look for the user named theJman.

Thx!
post #277 of 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by RanaKabir View Post

"You lose some credibility when you start mentioning wires making a difference." You lose a LOT of credibility when you start mentioning wires DON'T making a difference. smile.gif

"And stereo subs really only can work if the subs are located next to or under the mains AND you can find the rare recording that does not sum the bass signal." Off course, that is a given! For your FYI I have thousands of recordings that do NOT sum the bass signal so they are not rare at all. In fact prior to .1 multichannel recording era this was the norm. And it is a great loss to audiophiles since those are superior in capturing the "feel" of the original recording venue. Once you experience a true stereo sub arrangement playing back true stereo subsonic material you won't go back. It is like night and day.

+1! The Dynaco Dynaquad operated by taking the very low frequency out-of-phase information in stereo recordings and sending that information to the rear-channel speakers. One of the reasons to run your subs stereo is to be able to hear the sound of the recording venue. If you listen to studio recordings only, that probably means little to you.
post #278 of 299
Which of these is best for music, not home theatre.

Pioneer Andrew Jones Designed SW-8MK2

Yamaha YST-SW012 8-Inch Front-Firing Active Subwoofer

Polk Audio Monitor Series PSW10

Martin Logan Dynamo 300

Dayton Audio SUB-1000

BIC V1020


Do any of these stand out from the rest? My budget is for $130.

It is for a 2.1 receiver in a medium bedroom, I listen mainly to Classical and Jazz.
Edited by MitchFlorida - 5/2/13 at 6:10am
post #279 of 299
At certain price points would it be better to get two of the "half-price" subs?

I.e. 2 sub-1200 at $200 instead of 1 bic f12 @ $200
2 PA-150 instead of 1 vf3 @ $800
post #280 of 299
Thread Starter 
No and no.

$100 subs stink.
I'd consider a bic f12 minimum.

A vtf3 plays a bit below 20hz. That's worth the price of admission over a couple subs that don't drop below 30Hz. -especially for movie use.
Edited by Archaea - 5/2/13 at 9:08pm
post #281 of 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post

$100 subs stink.

For $119 the Dayton SUB-1200 might not be too bad, so perhaps that's an option. It's probably close to a Captivator... biggrin.gif
post #282 of 299
Thread Starter 
Grrrrrrrrrr
post #283 of 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson View Post

For $119 the Dayton SUB-1200 might not be too bad, so perhaps that's an option. It's probably close to a Captivator... biggrin.gif

Lol!! yea them captivators are turds for the money. biggrin.gif
post #284 of 299
The PA 150 is a good sub and comes with hard hitting bass. Not an under 20 Hz titan but some very useable stuff down to 20 Hz. It can shake up a room and make things rattle of wall, I have one. I also have an Epik Legends and SVS 25-31.
post #285 of 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post

No and no.

$100 subs stink.
I'd consider a bic f12 minimum.

A vtf3 plays a bit below 20hz. That's worth the price of admission over a couple subs that don't drop below 30Hz. -especially for movie use.

OK, what about two SVS PB-1000 vs a single PSA XV-15?
Where I live they come out at the same price.

My room is sealed, 27' x 14' x 7' and I want my concert blu rays to sound great above all else.

Cheers.
post #286 of 299
IMO: Get dual PB-1000s, unless you plan to add a second sub down the road, in which case go with the XV15.
post #287 of 299
Does the Rhythmik LV12R take over for the Outlaw LFM-1 EX at $600? It sounds promising, but haven't been able to find any reviews with measured outputs yet.
post #288 of 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzie Isaac View Post

Does the Rhythmik LV12R take over for the Outlaw LFM-1 EX at $600? It sounds promising, but haven't been able to find any reviews with measured outputs yet.

I know the LV12R extends lower but as for the rest of the story, I too would like to know.
post #289 of 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzie Isaac View Post

Does the Rhythmik LV12R take over for the Outlaw LFM-1 EX at $600? It sounds promising, but haven't been able to find any reviews with measured outputs yet.

Not sure I understand what you mean by 'measured outputs', but I did a review on the LV12R recently. I included some measurements towards the end - maybe those will help.

Regarding the LV12R vs the LFM-1 EX... I have quite a bit of hands on experience with the Rythmik sub. The Outlaw I have less with, but I did convince a friend of mine to pick one up during last years annual Black Friday sale. From my perspective the LV12R is more articulate, while the the LFM-1 EX comes across as a bit "fuller". Both are very good values, given their price, but I would personally chose the LV12R. In my case precision is the most important factor, which is what would tip the scales in favor of the Rythmik for me.
post #290 of 299
Jim - thank you for the link and review. Very thorough! Defintely looks like the $600 range has a new contender.

By measured output I meant a dB vs. hz plot....I think they are called spl plots?
post #291 of 299
Is there an updated list of recommendations per $100 price point?
post #292 of 299
Thread Starter 
The polk PSW10 for $70 bucks surely takes the cake by anything I've experienced. It doesn't get loud, but plays reasonably well to ~30ish hz. For a small room and with the right expectations - it's not a bad sub at all and beats the pants off the typical budget fodder that costs <= $100.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1499414/polk-psw10-69-99-at-newegg

I measured it in my room with the omnimic and was pleasantly surprised.
post #293 of 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post

The polk PSW10 for $70 bucks surely takes the cake by anything I've experienced. It doesn't get loud, but plays reasonably well to ~30ish hz. For a small room and with the right expectations - it's not a bad sub at all and beats the pants off the typical budget fodder that costs <= $100.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1499414/polk-psw10-69-99-at-newegg

I measured it in my room with the omnimic and was pleasantly surprised.

Archaea,

I'm considering getting new subs this holiday season, but am curious if you have any information on the Rythmik LV12R vs the Outlaw LFM-1 EX. From past sales, they should be relatively close in price. From the subwoofer recommendation list, the Outlaw is a step ahead it seems. Although Jim Wilson did review it quite favorably, so I'm not too sure.

If it matters, here's my room: 14x15x8, carpeted, w/hard floor hallway extending into a kitchen. Primary use: Home Theater - 80% movies, 20% music


Theoretical sub placement good or in the other corner closer to the window?
Edited by unclerunkle - 11/14/13 at 11:45pm
post #294 of 299
Thread Starter 
Both are good subs from all the reviews I've seen around here. Those are two I've not directly experienced, but the Outlaw LFM1-EX should have more output - so for 80% movie use, I'd probably look that direction. You really can't go wrong with either sub choice there.
post #295 of 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post

Both are good subs from all the reviews I've seen around here. Those are two I've not directly experienced, but the Outlaw LFM1-EX should have more output - so for 80% movie use, I'd probably look that direction. You really can't go wrong with either sub choice there.

Thanks!
post #296 of 299
Thread Starter 
I heard a pair of gjallarhorns tonight and they were awesome! One of only a few sub woofer systems I've experienced where I've actually felt the infamous 'waves' of bass pouring over me. d_c has them in a small to medium sized room and one gjallarhorn is nearfield with the mouth of the horn firing straight into the couch. His room is on a suspended floor and the entire tactile effect is excellent. The view of that LMS-5400 driver through the horn mouth is pretty amazing. That LMS-5400 driver is bigger than it appears is pictures and twice as good looking.
post #297 of 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post

I heard a pair of gjallarhorns tonight and they were awesome! One of only a few sub woofer systems I've experienced where I've actually felt the infamous 'waves' of bass pouring over me. d_c has them in a small to medium sized room and one gjallarhorn is nearfield with the mouth of the horn firing straight into the couch. His room is on a suspended floor and the entire tactile effect is excellent. The view of that LMS-5400 driver through the horn mouth is pretty amazing. That LMS-5400 driver is bigger than it appears is pictures and twice as good looking.

Cheap Orbit Shifter knockoffs ... tongue.gifwink.gif

But seriously given enough power, I have no doubt they claim the mountain top for HT horn subs but they also take big and ugly to a whole new level ... smile.gif
post #298 of 299
Thread Starter 
Ha

That's like one big rigg calling another big rigg... um... big?

smile.gif
post #299 of 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post

Ha

That's like one big rigg calling another big rigg... um... big?

smile.gif

Yeah, but the OS's have that one svelte dimension (22.5") going for them which can be big ( tongue.gif ) when trying to place them in a room ... wink.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers › The Subwoofer Recommendation by Pricepoint Thread.