or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Software › The Dark Knight Rises
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Dark Knight Rises - Page 6

post #151 of 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhafner View Post

As much as Nolan and Pfister claim they are about quality and true heroes fighting substandard digital technology by using pure film paths, the corresponding Blu Rays continue to disappoint at times as they show neither film nor digital in their best light.
You know what's at the end of TDKR"s end credits?

THIS MOTION PICTURE WAS SHOT AND FINISHED ON FILM

So yeah, they're THAT proud smile.gif
post #152 of 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanddrews View Post

Wait a second... are you guys saying that 3-D is being misused in order to charge more for tickets and home media? That would also mean that they are taking advantage of mass ignorance to blindly swallow "3-D Experience" without question. I dunno. That seems pretty far-fetched!

Fixed!
post #153 of 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by inspector View Post

Fixed!

Hmm, goes both ways.
post #154 of 410
I'd take good 3D over what Nolan's doing with his IMAX cameras any freakin' day to be honest. For me, watching this in 70mm IMAX was an unpleasant experience. The framing, camera movements, and editing on the giant screen were disorienting and rarely gave you much of a sense of the format's resolution, then the next second it would cut to some godawful overprocessed 35mm shot, then back again, with little rhyme or reason.
post #155 of 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterXDTV View Post

I would suggest you to check out VUDU HDX, it might have a constant aspect ratio (TDK does have Constant AR on Vudu). Vudu uses high bitrate 1080p and Dolby Digital Plus 5.1, that is very high quality. The best for digital downloads, iTunes uses more compression and has traditional Dolby Digital 5.1!
I understand your pain but TDKR has 72 minutes this way, you can't compare to transformers 2 that has one scene. The shifting ratio is part of the intended look of the film. Otherwise they would have to crop vertically from 1.44:1 to 2.40:1 that's way too much IMHO...

Do you or anyone else know if they do a straight crop to get the 2:35:1 version? Or do they do a pan and scan type operation??
post #156 of 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by talon95 View Post

Do you or anyone else know if they do a straight crop to get the 2:35:1 version? Or do they do a pan and scan type operation??
It's not a constant crop, they manually extracted the scope area.
post #157 of 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by talon95 View Post

Do you or anyone else know if they do a straight crop to get the 2:35:1 version? Or do they do a pan and scan type operation??

It's manually extracted but Pan and Scan is out of the question, obviously
post #158 of 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by 42041 View Post

I'd take good 3D over what Nolan's doing with his IMAX cameras any freakin' day to be honest. For me, watching this in 70mm IMAX was an unpleasant experience. The framing, camera movements, and editing on the giant screen were disorienting and rarely gave you much of a sense of the format's resolution, then the next second it would cut to some godawful overprocessed 35mm shot, then back again, with little rhyme or reason.
Butt he's a genius! wink.gif
post #159 of 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by 42041 View Post

I'd take good 3D over what Nolan's doing with his IMAX cameras any freakin' day to be honest. For me, watching this in 70mm IMAX was an unpleasant experience. The framing, camera movements, and editing on the giant screen were disorienting and rarely gave you much of a sense of the format's resolution, then the next second it would cut to some godawful overprocessed 35mm shot, then back again, with little rhyme or reason.

IMHO, IMAX means amazing picture quality, 3D means amazing headache just to fill the pockets of movie studios....
post #160 of 410
Received my copy of the US Blu-ray Saturday and it looks fantastic, only had time to try out the stock exchange robbery and end truck chase but this is my new demo disc smile.gif
post #161 of 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by 42041 View Post

I'd take good 3D over what Nolan's doing with his IMAX cameras any freakin' day to be honest. For me, watching this in 70mm IMAX was an unpleasant experience. The framing, camera movements, and editing on the giant screen were disorienting and rarely gave you much of a sense of the format's resolution, then the next second it would cut to some godawful overprocessed 35mm shot, then back again, with little rhyme or reason.

I'd go with that. The plane grab is IMO a terrific sequence because it's all IMAX, it's not arbitrarily cutting back and forth and when they do that, the 15/70 format does indeed lose some of its impact because you just can't take it in quickly enough. I know I couldn't, anyways.
post #162 of 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post

I'd go with that. The plane grab is IMO a terrific sequence because it's all IMAX, it's not arbitrarily cutting back and forth and when they do that, the 15/70 format does indeed lose some of its impact because you just can't take it in quickly enough. I know I couldn't, anyways.

It was very Cliffhanger/Licence to Kill In fact Nolan name checked the Dalton Bond's directly in interviews.
But it was the best sequence in film bar far
post #163 of 410
Will there be any limited editions blu rays with extra features released at specific retailers like Target or Bestbuy ?
post #164 of 410
There are more stills at blu-ray.com. The IMAX stills look good (better than the ones from the last Batman), the 35mm mediocre (they are all from IP and not OCN).
post #165 of 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by champer View Post

Will there be any limited editions blu rays with extra features released at specific retailers like Target or Bestbuy ?

Yes. There's one with a documentary about the trilogy. I don't remember who is selling it off the top of my head but I think it's Best Buy.
post #166 of 410
post #167 of 410
Got the single BR disc today, will watch it tonight.
post #168 of 410
So I watched The Dark Knight Rises tonight. Didn't get a chance to see it in theaters and managed to stay spoiler free so I came into this pretty cold.

Have to say I was very let down by this one. The Bane character was just a confusing mess - one scene he seems to have this well thought out socio-political agenda, the next he's a Joker-esque character of murderous random chaos. It didn't help he really wasn't a physically imposing figure and his voice sounded like he had his head stuck in a toilet. In fact, the overall story seemed a bit like the last movies themes regurgitated for no good reason. The pacing sucked, I mean, nearly an hour before Batman shows up...?!? And having Bruce pull himself together from a physical wreck *twice* in the same movie (what, no Rocky fanfare music?!?) to get his act together to go back out and fight the bad guys.. fail.

The good points: I was very pleasantly surprised how well the Cat... Burgler came out. Not ridiculously over the top, believably conflicted and a worthy foil for Bruce/Batman. Nice to see the Scarecrow character get another extended cameo. Most of the acting was typically good but there were a few bad notes, one in particular with Alfred practically bawling at the funeral was cringe-worthy. Some of the action sequences, obviously the opening scene with the hijacking were spectacular. Most of the fight scenes seemed poorly staged and choreographed to me.

Oh yeah, the presentation itself.... IMAX scenes looked excellent, the 2:35:1 35mm film scenes looked... subpar. At times, it was really jarring dealing with the abitrary switches between aspect ratios. The audio was solid with good surround usage but a little murky on the low end.

Definitely the weakest of the trilogy.
post #169 of 410
I'm looking forward to seeing this again but I did feel that the pacing was sluggish compared to the previous two when I saw it at the cinema. Felt like they were a little stuck for ideas of how to keep the film moving at times. I kinda hope this Batman series does still continue despite this being billed as a trilogy, but I also think new writers/director would do the series good as well.
post #170 of 410
This was godfather 3 to me... can't explain it any other way.
post #171 of 410
PQ wise I found this one overly dark. I double checked my TVs settings and, while not professionally calibrated, I couldn't compensate for it. It's probably deliberate but a few scenes left me wondering if I was missing detail because of it.

Story and acting wise, it made me think if I ever liked Bale playing Batman to begin with. I found his Batman a bit hollow in this one, which might have been the case for the other films however were overshadowed by more interesting villains and "how are they going to do that" technology moments. Bane portrayed very well and he had some very cool moments, but overall Scarecrow, Ra's and Joker were much more interesting and carried their respective films much better.
post #172 of 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by z0mb View Post

PQ wise I found this one overly dark. I double checked my TVs settings and, while not professionally calibrated, I couldn't compensate for it. It's probably deliberate but a few scenes left me wondering if I was missing detail because of it.
Story and acting wise, it made me think if I ever liked Bale playing Batman to begin with. I found his Batman a bit hollow in this one, which might have been the case for the other films however were overshadowed by more interesting villains and "how are they going to do that" technology moments. Bane portrayed very well and he had some very cool moments, but overall Scarecrow, Ra's and Joker were much more interesting and carried their respective films much better.

They shoot ugly, ugly movies compare it to Skyfall and its night and day
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superman2 View Post

This was godfather 3 to me... can't explain it any other way.

It's really not that good
post #173 of 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdmike007 View Post

They shoot ugly, ugly movies compare it to Skyfall and its night and day
I wouldn't call TDKR ugly, but I have to say it's my least favorite Nolan's Batman when it comes to cinematography and the overall look.
post #174 of 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by z0mb View Post

PQ wise I found this one overly dark. I double checked my TVs settings and, while not professionally calibrated, I couldn't compensate for it. It's probably deliberate but a few scenes left me wondering if I was missing detail because of it.
Story and acting wise, it made me think if I ever liked Bale playing Batman to begin with. I found his Batman a bit hollow in this one, which might have been the case for the other films however were overshadowed by more interesting villains and "how are they going to do that" technology moments. Bane portrayed very well and he had some very cool moments, but overall Scarecrow, Ra's and Joker were much more interesting and carried their respective films much better.
Did you see it in theaters? That's about how it looked, if memory serves.
post #175 of 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by 42041 View Post

Did you see it in theaters? That's about how it looked, if memory serves.

I did, and I remember it being dark but not thinking I might be missing detail. That said it's a bit different at home with ambient lighting and a significantly smaller screen.
post #176 of 410
Picked up my copy today, finally get a chance to watch it tonight.
post #177 of 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

Picked up my copy today, .

From where, dagnabbit!
post #178 of 410
It's released over here today in Aus.
post #179 of 410
anyone with a CIH set up care to comment on the image positioning of the "IMAX" scenes?
post #180 of 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by rboster View Post

anyone with a CIH set up care to comment on the image positioning of the "IMAX" scenes?

I would also like to hear about this.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Blu-ray Software
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Software › The Dark Knight Rises