or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Cloud Atlas - Page 2

post #31 of 301
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

I, for one, think The Fountain is terrific...there, I said it.tongue.gif


You're not alone!
post #32 of 301
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinema13 View Post

You're not alone!
It's one of those movies where I don't understand the negative criticism heaped on it.
It's almost as though some of those folks saw a completely different movie than I did.confused.gif
post #33 of 301
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

It's one of those movies where I don't understand the negative criticism heaped on it.
It's almost as though some of those folks saw a completely different movie than I did.confused.gif

The Fountain is a favorite of mine as well. Which is why I'm very much looking forward to Cloud Atlas, both films seem to share some very similar elements. The Fountain had one of the most powerful stories I've seen recently, beautiful and tragic.
post #34 of 301
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheo View Post

The Fountain had one of the most powerful stories I've seen recently, beautiful and tragic.
I couldn't say it better....wink.gif
post #35 of 301
Not to mention some stunning and stylish visuals...no mean feat given the slashed budget and pulled plug when Brad Pitt ankled.
post #36 of 301
Just saw it... on one hand, it's a goofy and pretentious bunch of hooey. And on the other hand, it's beautifully made, profound and emotionally moving.

It doesn't take much to realize it's about reincarnation. (It also plays the eternal recurrence card, but its allegory is all over the place and it's hard for it to claim that).I hoped what was happening with the characters in the various stories showed a progression of some sort (and perhaps they do- further viewings are probably manditory for a movie like this, assuming the viewer liked it the first time), and it owes a lot to the old Twilight Zone episode with Dennis Weaver on death row, Shadow Play, and a little to O Lucky Man! Even though it's really complicated, it's also spolierable, so you might want to go see it soon if you think you're interested.

It you are annoyed by rubber prostheses then you might as well not bother.
post #37 of 301
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaded Dogfood View Post

...........It you are annoyed by rubber prostheses then you might as well not bother.

biggrin.gif You win favorite quote of the day!
post #38 of 301
I want to see it for much the same reason I go to any movie these days (and it's more of a rarity every year) - for the visual and aural spectacle.
post #39 of 301
I want to see it for much the same reason I go to any movie these days (and it's more of a rarity every year) - for the visual and aural spectacle.

Well it delivers that and then some.
post #40 of 301
I'm hoping I can keep expectations in check. With such a great cast and so much money available to the filmmakers to create something truly spectacular, one cannot help but think this should be EPIC. But how often are epics EPIC?
post #41 of 301
one cannot help but think this should be EPIC. But how often are epics EPIC?

It's pretty epic. But it has the flaws of epic films: it doesn't always fit together well, it sometimes cries for more connectivity, and in the third act you want it to be more than it is. But it's never boring, and it achieves a lot. I like it way better than any other of the Wachowski siblings' films. They seem to want ot mount a seamless allegory of the religious experience, and they still can't quite do it. But they come closer here than they did in the Matrices.
Edited by Shaded Dogfood - 10/26/12 at 8:17pm
post #42 of 301
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaded Dogfood View Post

one cannot help but think this should be EPIC. But how often are epics EPIC?
It's pretty epic. But it has the flaws of epic films: it doesn't always fit together well, it sometimes cries for more connectivity, and in the third act you want it to be more than it is. But it's never boring, and it achieves a lot. I like it way better than any other of the Wachowski siblings' films. They seem to want ot mount a seamless allegory of the religious experience, and they still can't quite do it. But they come closer here than they did in the Matrices.

Sounds like Prometheus. Should I get ready for the hate and trolling?
post #43 of 301
Sounds like Prometheus. Should I get ready for the hate and trolling?

Probably. In many ways it's a big mess, but it dares to reach high and be different, unlike most sure bet garbage out there these days.
post #44 of 301
I'm makin' like a baby and heading out! Will come back with a review after I've seen this nearly 3 hour movie and worked the circulation back into my legs.
post #45 of 301
RT looks exactly like, I'm guessing, many of us expected it to.
post #46 of 301
It only made 3.5 million Friday. Ouch. MAJOR ouch. Unless the film cleans up overseas, it's going to take a bath. I'll make sure to see it Monday before it leaves the decent sized screens.
post #47 of 301
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_Stevens View Post

It only made 3.5 million Friday. Ouch. MAJOR ouch. Unless the film cleans up overseas, it's going to take a bath. I'll make sure to see it Monday before it leaves the decent sized screens.
In my tv viewing circles, I've rarely seen it advertised.
post #48 of 301
Well, Mrs. Archie and I did our part to help that box office today (only the second movie I've gone to see this year). And I can unequivocally say it was worth every penny of that 21 clams we spent. Wish it had been on the IMAX screen at my local octoplex. They had that one showing Paranormal Activity 4. mad.gif

Found it to b exhilarating and, at times exasperating. Occasionally thrilling, frequently spectacular, and a sumptuous feast for eye and ear. Very cleverly edited, considering how the 6 stories they were telling had to be interconnected in complex ways. Lots of jumping back and forth between epochs and characters who may be reincarnated multiple times. Best I can describe it without spoilers is that some of us are just born bad and are irredeemable. Some of us are born good and are likewise incorruptible. And some of us spend a few incarnations being thoroughly rotton but can eventually be redeemed through the power of love.

Whatever. The 3 hours flew by. From a visual and sound perspective, this flick is pretty awesome. And that's mostly why I go out to movies anymore. One thing's for sure: you'll feel like you got your money's worth from this one.
post #49 of 301
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

Well, Mrs. Archie and I did our part to help that box office today (only the second movie I've gone to see this year). And I can unequivocally say it was worth every penny of that 21 clams we spent. Wish it had been on the IMAX screen at my local octoplex. They had that one showing Paranormal Activity 4. mad.gif
Found it to b exhilarating and, at times exasperating. Occasionally thrilling, frequently spectacular, and a sumptuous feast for eye and ear. Very cleverly edited, considering how the 6 stories they were telling had to be interconnected in complex ways. Lots of jumping back and forth between epochs and characters who may be reincarnated multiple times. Best I can describe it without spoilers is that some of us are just born bad and are irredeemable. Some of us are born good and are likewise incorruptible. And some of us spend a few incarnations being thoroughly rotton but can eventually be redeemed through the power of love.
Whatever. The 3 hours flew by. From a visual and sound perspective, this flick is pretty awesome. And that's mostly why I go out to movies anymore. One thing's for sure: you'll feel like you got your money's worth from this one.
Bloody Damn, I was going to wait for the BD!
Hopefully, the local IMAX, on the other side of the hill, will have it.

I got a day or two left in the cabin before I hit the Pass...
post #50 of 301
I really enjoyed the book.

When I saw this thread I wondered which short story they'd chosen from it, I went to the Wikipedia page and saw they'd chosen all of them, very ambitious!

I hope the do justice to "The Ghastly Ordeal of Timothy Cavendish", that was my favourite.
post #51 of 301
I just hope Josh likes it.
post #52 of 301
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamian View Post

I just hope Josh likes it.
Who is laying odds?biggrin.gif
post #53 of 301
I am disappointed that the nearby theater doesn't have Cloud Atlas even though they showed the trailer and list it as "coming soon." I wanted it to be my Halloween Escape film. It's at the other plexes though. The local theater being all digital has become mass market 3D and D-Box hell with some films taking up two auditoriums.
post #54 of 301
is this filmed in real imax?
post #55 of 301
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulls View Post

is this filmed in real imax?

It doesn't look that way...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1371111/technical
post #56 of 301
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

Who is laying odds?biggrin.gif
I'll bet even money he likes it better than Prometheus.
post #57 of 301
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post

I am disappointed that the nearby theater doesn't have Cloud Atlas even though they showed the trailer and list it as "coming soon." I wanted it to be my Halloween Escape film. It's at the other plexes though. The local theater being all digital has become mass market 3D and D-Box hell with some films taking up two auditoriums.
Huh?
Martinez isn't far from alot of places...confused.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamian View Post

I'll bet even money he likes it better than Prometheus.
I'll take that bet....tongue.gif
post #58 of 301
I'm in NYC and not one IMAX, be it real or fake, has Cloud Atlas. mad.gif
post #59 of 301
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamian View Post

I just hope Josh likes it.

Since you asked...

http://www.highdefdigest.com/blog/cloud-atlas-poll/
post #60 of 301
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

Found it to b exhilarating and, at times exasperating. Occasionally thrilling, frequently spectacular, and a sumptuous feast for eye and ear.
Sounds like my sex life.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home