or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Front HT speakers
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Front HT speakers

post #1 of 25
Thread Starter 
Hey Guys,
I'm pretty new to the subject of Home Theater and I'm just starting to piece together a system. I just went out and bought a Pioneer VSX-40 receiver. I've been looking a lot at the monitor series by Polk since the reviews seem to be pretty solid. If anyone has any recommendations for some front speakers under or around $200 it'd be much appreciated.

Thanks!
post #2 of 25
Also, look at the Infinity Classia
http://www.amazon.com/Infinity-Classia-C205BK-Two-Way-Speaker/dp/B0015YTYKM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1345510709&sr=8-1&keywords=infinity+classia+c205

For a little more, the Definitive SM350
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882325059

The RTi6 is a better option over the Monitor 40
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882290252
Edited by zieglj01 - 8/20/12 at 6:07pm
post #3 of 25
Thread Starter 
Also what sub woofer would you recommend for under $300?
post #4 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by studioholic55 View Post

Also what sub woofer would you recommend for under $300?

For under 300 I would recommend a Polk Audio PSW505, off amazon for usually about 200-220.

and I'd go with the Rti6 over monitors as well http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882290252
post #5 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by studioholic55 View Post

Also what sub woofer would you recommend for under $300?

The Energy S10.3 > and it will go down low
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882269026

http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/article/energy-take-series-home-theater-speaker-system?page=0,2
post #6 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by studioholic55 View Post

Hey Guys,
I'm pretty new to the subject of Home Theater and I'm just starting to piece together a system. I just went out and bought a Pioneer VSX-40 receiver. I've been looking a lot at the monitor series by Polk since the reviews seem to be pretty solid. If anyone has any recommendations for some front speakers under or around $200 it'd be much appreciated.
Thanks!

In terms of pure transparent sound quality? Go for the Pioneer SP-FS52. Its MSRP is $125 each. http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Pioneer+-+5-1/4%26%2334%3B+Floor+Speaker+(Each)/5086937.p?id=1218610014331&skuId=5086937

It easily outperforms others costing twice as much! Famed, former KEF and current Tad designer Andrew Jones designed them, and these are the 2nd iteration of them.
post #7 of 25
Thread Starter 
How does the Bic F-12 compare to the energy s 10 or Polk 505?
post #8 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by studioholic55 View Post

How does the Bic F-12 compare to the energy s 10 or Polk 505?

I'd order them like this:

PSW 505
F-12
S 10

The S 10 is in last, because it is a 10 inch driver opposed to 12" like the 505 and F-12. The PSW 505 has 300W continuous, the F-12 has 150W continuous. They both have a BASH amplifier. The PSW 505 is not on sale right now, but normally it can be found for 200-220 on amazon. The F-12 is on sale right now for 200 on amazon.
post #9 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by studioholic55 View Post

How does the Bic F-12 compare to the energy s 10 or Polk 505?

The Energy sub measures better, and goes lower than the Polk sub - the Energy sub has been
measured in a 7,500 cubic foot room, and has good spl down low.

Polk review and measurements
http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_12_2/polk-psw-505-subwoofer-4-2005.html

The Bic sub also begins to roll off early - your choice and good luck.
post #10 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by studioholic55 View Post

Also what sub woofer would you recommend for under $300?

best sub for 300$
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882780078&Tpk=rw12d
post #11 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgrotel View Post

best sub for 300$
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882780078&Tpk=rw12d

Ooooh, great find!
post #12 of 25
Thread Starter 
The klipsch is $500 on Newegg and I haven't heard too many good reviews on it.
post #13 of 25
the energy specs show it goes lower than the klipsch given +/- 3dbs, but i find that hard to believe based on the fact that the energy is a 10" driver and the klipsch is a 12" driver. maybe there are graphs somewhere showing that is the case though, but i find it hard to believe.
post #14 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgrotel View Post

the energy specs show it goes lower than the klipsch given +/- 3dbs, but i find that hard to believe based on the fact that the energy is a 10" driver and the klipsch is a 12" driver. maybe there are graphs somewhere showing that is the case though, but i find it hard to believe.

HT Labs also measured the Energy sub - it does go low.
http://www.hometheater.com/content/energy-reference-connoisseur-rc-70-speaker-system-ht-labs-measures

The Klipsch measures good
http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/article/shootout-five-mid-price-subwoofers?page=0,3
Edited by zieglj01 - 8/21/12 at 1:50pm
post #15 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgrotel View Post

best sub for 300$
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882780078&Tpk=rw12d

Oh that looks like a good deal. I'd go with that over the f-12 energy or polk one.
post #16 of 25
Thread Starter 
I'm seeing that the klipsch is listed at $500
post #17 of 25
green letters on the add show a coupon code for 200$ off
post #18 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgrotel View Post

green letters on the add show a coupon code for 200$ off

Here is the link with the green letters
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882780078
Edited by zieglj01 - 8/21/12 at 2:06pm
post #19 of 25

based on that 10.3 graph, it looks like it falls off pretty hard at 30hz, whereas the rw12d falls off just above 20hz:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1390563/klipsch-rw-12d-omnimic-frequency-response-graphs


another option is the jamo 650 sub for 250$ right now reviewed here:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1425552/jamo-sub-650-omnimic-frequency-response-graphs
post #20 of 25
Thread Starter 
ohh haha didn't see that! Thanks!! That is very tempting. Anybody ever heard or topchoose.com? It has crazy deals but looks kinda sketchy.
post #21 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgrotel View Post

based on that 10.3 graph, it looks like it falls off pretty hard at 30hz, whereas the rw12d falls off just above 20hz:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1390563/klipsch-rw-12d-omnimic-frequency-response-graphs
another option is the jamo 650 sub for 250$ right now reviewed here:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1425552/jamo-sub-650-omnimic-frequency-response-graphs

There are a lot of people that would be happy with a 10" sub, that is -3db at 25 hz. > Woofer size
will not always guarantee the lowest octive.

For mainly Home Theater, the Klipsch will give you better spl overall - Since music is also important
to me, then I will take the Energy over the Klipsch sub.

The thing is, that there are options out there for diffferent preferences - The Jamo looks interesting.
post #22 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01 View Post

There are a lot of people that would be happy with a 10" sub, that is -3db at 25 hz. > Woofer size
will not always guarantee the lowest octive.
For mainly Home Theater, the Klipsch will give you better spl overall - Since music is also important
to me, then I will take the Energy over the Klipsch sub.
The thing is, that there are options out there for diffferent preferences.

great points, i was assuming home theater use since op never mentioned music, and i have seen people pick the s10.3 over the klipsch for mostly music listening. OP, what size is your room and what is the main purpose the system will be used for? what percentage movies and home theater vs music listening?
post #23 of 25
the jamo sub i posted earlier too is supposed to be very flat down to 20hz and is a sealed design so might sound better with music but not high spl output. this is all merely my opinion from reading reviews. i just got my klipsch a couple weeks ago, but have not even had it on yet. i am a little jealous at how flat the jamo 650 sub is however, good luck with your decision.
post #24 of 25
Thread Starter 
Is the klipsch better for music than the Bic Subs?
post #25 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by studioholic55 View Post

Is the klipsch better for music than the Bic Subs?

My preference is neither one - however, your option.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Speakers
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › Front HT speakers