or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers › Is the Energy S10.3 a good upgrade for me?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Is the Energy S10.3 a good upgrade for me?

post #1 of 9
Thread Starter 
I currently have three NHT SuperZero 2.0 for the fronts and Polk OWM3 for the rear coming off of a Onkyo 707. This is in a 11' X 11" room with 9" ceilings. But there is a 8" wide opening to another room of the same size...then in that room there is another opening to the kitchen. This set-up is 95% used for home theater and video games. Right now I have the BIC F12...while I feel there is plenty of output from the F12, it feels kind of "boomy" to me. And i'm not sure it's a good match with my SuperZeros...maybe it doesn't play enough mid-bass because I've got the SuperZeros crossed over at 120hz. I just saw the Energy S10.3 went on sale at Newegg for $200 shipped, and going by the glowing reviews I've read around here I figured this sub would be a be a good upgrade for me....what do you guys think?
post #2 of 9
I have 5 superzero 2.0s and cross them over a 100hz and it sounds great. Try lowering your crossover to 100 and see how it sounds. I ran the SZs for awhile when waiting for my sub and they have more bass than I was expecting. NHT lists the -3db point at 85hz (IIRC).

I have no experience with the subs you've mentioned.
post #3 of 9
Is your sub in a corner? If 'yes', find a spot (using a sub crawl) along a wall, move the sub there, re-calibrate and see if it sounds any better.
post #4 of 9
Does your receiver have Audyssey? If yes does it EQ the sub as well as the speakers? Are you using it? Where is the sub placed? Did you do the sub crawl?

IMO a single S10.3 may not be an upgrade, but dual S10.3s would be and upgrade. But then again adding a second BIC F-12 would be an upgrade as well.
post #5 of 9
Thread Starter 
Ill have to try lowering the crossover on my superzeros and see if that makes a difference. My receiver does have audyssey multiEQ, with a subwoofer "filter", and I am using it. I only have three placement options for my sub, and right now it's in the corner, and that's the best sounding place out of the three. I thought the 10.3 might offer a better sounding bass to match my superzeros, but it sound like my next upgrade path should be dual subs?
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kini62 View Post

I have 5 superzero 2.0s and cross them over a 100hz and it sounds great. Try lowering your crossover to 100 and see how it sounds. I ran the SZs for awhile when waiting for my sub and they have more bass than I was expecting. NHT lists the -3db point at 85hz (IIRC).
I have no experience with the subs you've mentioned.

Just FYI...

While NHT specs say -3dB @ 85Hz, measurements at HT Mag showed the -3dB at 110Hz. I think 120Hz xover would be more appropriate and give a smoother blend, especially if pushing up the volume... but if 100Hz sounds good, no reason to change it.
http://www.hometheater.com/content/nht-superzero-20-speaker-system-ht-labs-measures

That said, not all subs play well up to 120Hz... so something to keep in mind. The S10.3's upper -3dB limit is 110Hz.
http://www.hometheater.com/content/energy-take-speaker-system-ht-labs-measures
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by integ3 View Post

Ill have to try lowering the crossover on my superzeros and see if that makes a difference. My receiver does have audyssey multiEQ, with a subwoofer "filter", and I am using it. I only have three placement options for my sub, and right now it's in the corner, and that's the best sounding place out of the three. I thought the 10.3 might offer a better sounding bass to match my superzeros, but it sound like my next upgrade path should be dual subs?

If you're using Audyssey MultiEQ, don't lower the xover below what your receiver sets it... unless you're OK with their being no room correction applied to the frequencies below the xover point your AVR selects.

If your receiver is setting it relatively high, you can play with positioning a bit to see if that extends the in-room bass response enough for Audyssey to measure a lower -3dB point.

When I demo'd the SuperZero 2.0, I ran Audyssey multiple times and could not get my Denon to select lower than 150Hz for the xover unless I moved the speakers close to the rear wall, in which case it selected 120Hz. You may get different results in your room.
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by flickhtguru View Post

Does your receiver have Audyssey? If yes does it EQ the sub as well as the speakers? Are you using it? Where is the sub placed? Did you do the sub crawl?
IMO a single S10.3 may not be an upgrade, but dual S10.3s would be and upgrade. But then again adding a second BIC F-12 would be an upgrade as well.

I agree, while I like the S10.3 a lot, the BIC F12 gets the nod! smile.gif
post #9 of 9
Thread Starter 
How about the Klipsch RW-12D? This sub goes on sale often (right now) for $300. And it seems like most people put this on there list as, not as good as the $600-700 subs, but better then the cheap $200 subs. Also looks like the Energy ESW-M8 just came up in the "budget subwoofer thread". Would either of these be a good choice to mix with my mid-bass deprived NHT SuperZeros and my size of theater room?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers › Is the Energy S10.3 a good upgrade for me?