or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The DVD Is Dying - Page 44

post #1291 of 1422
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post



Warner Bros. extends Digital Copy expiration dates to 2017, gives new life to old codes

http://www.theverge.com/2012/8/20/3255980/warner-bros-extends-digital-copy-expiration-2017


Quote from your link.

"By all accounts, however, UltraViolet has struggled to resonate with consumers, so we don't expect to see studios abandon Digital Copy anytime soon. Thanks to this Warner Bros. extension, you've got all the more reason to hunt for old bargain bin Blu-rays that include one."
post #1292 of 1422
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Palmer_Cass View Post

UV Privacy Policy
https://my.uvvu.com/ssp/public/privacyStatementPage.jsf

That doesn't say anything different then what I posted.
post #1293 of 1422
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Palmer_Cass View Post

Quote from your link.
"By all accounts, however, UltraViolet has struggled to resonate with consumers, so we don't expect to see studios abandon Digital Copy anytime soon. Thanks to this Warner Bros. extension, you've got all the more reason to hunt for old bargain bin Blu-rays that include one."

UV is less than a year old. It is a marathon, not a sprint. There are now over 5 million consumers signed up for UV.

Lionsgate's first UV title was The Hunger Games. Fox's first UV title will be Prometheus.
post #1294 of 1422
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post



Warner Bros. extends Digital Copy expiration dates to 2017, gives new life to old codes

http://www.theverge.com/2012/8/20/3255980/warner-bros-extends-digital-copy-expiration-2017



I missed your topic twist at first. A "digital copy" is probably only a digital download.

Is "streaming" included in that policy? After all, streaming is what we are talking about!
post #1295 of 1422
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Palmer_Cass View Post

Quote from your link.
"By all accounts, however, UltraViolet has struggled to resonate with consumers, so we don't expect to see studios abandon Digital Copy anytime soon. Thanks to this Warner Bros. extension, you've got all the more reason to hunt for old bargain bin Blu-rays that include one."

UV is less than a year old. It is a marathon, not a sprint. There are now over 5 million consumers signed up for UV.

Lionsgate's first UV title was The Hunger Games. Fox's first UV title will be Prometheus.


Fine. I am not one of them.

UV will track the actions of those 5 million consumers. What you watch, what equipment you watch the movie on, when you watch the movie and things like where you shop for a movie.
post #1296 of 1422
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Palmer_Cass View Post

UV Privacy Policy
https://my.uvvu.com/ssp/public/privacyStatementPage.jsf

That doesn't say anything different then what I posted.



What you don't say is probably more important than what you do say!
post #1297 of 1422
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Palmer_Cass View Post

Fine. I am not one of them.
UV will track the actions of those 5 million consumers. What you watch, what equipment you watch the movie on, when you watch the movie and things like where you shop for a movie.

So?

Your credit card purchases are tracked by all retailers. How do you know what they are doing with it?

IMO you are just being paranoid - nothing more.
post #1298 of 1422
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Palmer_Cass View Post

What you don't say is probably more important than what you do say!

If you read the info on that link I posted, it tells you a whole lot more than just what UV publishes on their website in their policies, much of which was written by lawyers.
post #1299 of 1422
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post

So?
Your credit card purchases are tracked by all retailers. How do you know what they are doing with it?
IMO you are just being paranoid - nothing more.

it would be very hard to get all my purchases into one database:

I buy at amazon, fry's, bestbuy, walmart, target, blockbuster, ect. i doubt all those companies share info.

I used 4 different credit cards.
sometimes i use my wifes creditcard (oops)
sometimes i use cash
sometimes i use a bank debit card

but with UV all your movies are at ONE PLACE. I see easy manipulation
post #1300 of 1422
Quote:
Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

I buy at amazon, fry's, bestbuy, walmart, target, blockbuster, ect. i doubt all those companies share info.

They sell it to third parties to distribute it to anyone who wants to buy from it. So, yes, those companies ALL share info.
Quote:
I see easy manipulation

They don't manipulate info. That defeats the purpose of collecting it in the first place. They just use it to tailor ads based on your preferences. That's all they can really do with it anyway.

They're going to shoot ads at you no matter what. They just figure you might buy something more like what you've already bought before rather than random crap.
post #1301 of 1422
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulpa View Post

They sell it to third parties to distribute it to anyone who wants to buy from it. So, yes, those companies ALL share info.
They don't manipulate info. That defeats the purpose of collecting it in the first place. They just use it to tailor ads based on your preferences. That's all they can really do with it anyway.
They're going to shoot ads at you no matter what. They just figure you might buy something more like what you've already bought before rather than random crap.

Its illegal for Walmart to sell information about what I bought unless i sign off on it.
I don't think they can sell information that can tract to the individual level.

I think the only legal database is for purchase returns.

Of course Walmart can share the information with their affiliates but they cant sell it without my approval.
post #1302 of 1422
Quote:
Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

Its illegal for Walmart to sell information about what I bought unless i sign off on it.

So if you feel that is correct, then why would it be any different with Ultraviolet? We already have an analysis that says UV can't disclose your personal data without your permisson.
post #1303 of 1422
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post

So if you feel that is correct, then why would it be any different with Ultraviolet? We already have an analysis that says UV can't disclose your personal data without your permisson.

but UV has no need to share info. they have ALL of it in one place.
plus they could simply release a privacy wavier which 99% of the people wont read and give them rights to sell the info.
post #1304 of 1422
Quote:
Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

but UV has no need to share info. they have ALL of it in one place.
plus they could simply release a privacy wavier which 99% of the people wont read and give them rights to sell the info.

And Walmart couldn't do the same thing? Or your Credit Card companies?

UV only has your video content. The above have everything you buy on a credit card.

You are grasping at straws. Creating some kind of a What If Boogeyman.
post #1305 of 1422
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post

And Walmart couldn't do the same thing? Or your Credit Card companies?
UV only has your video content. The above have everything you buy on a credit card.
You are grasping at straws. Creating some kind of a What If Boogeyman.

wrong.
Walmart can only share with their affiliates. Walmart, Costco, Target, Amazon, Bestbuy are NOT affiliates, thus they cannot share info.

I have 4 creditcards i buy with.
they do not share either.

bottom line is all you movies will be at one place in UV.
To get that same information from physical media would be impossible and illegal.
post #1306 of 1422
Quote:
Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

wrong.
Walmart can only share with their affiliates. Walmart, Costco, Target, Amazon, Bestbuy are NOT affiliates, thus they cannot share info.
I have 4 creditcards i buy with.
they do not share either.
bottom line is all you movies will be at one place in UV.
To get that same information from physical media would be impossible and illegal.

You forgot - you changed the playing field by saying:
Quote:
plus they could simply release a privacy wavier which 99% of the people wont read and give them rights to sell the info.

If UV could do that, so could any retailer or CC company.
post #1307 of 1422
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post

You forgot - you changed the playing field by saying:
If UV could do that, so could any retailer or CC company.

lol.

UV has everything.

in my situation over a dozen companies would need to conspire to find out all the movies i bought.

would you tell a company all the movies you purchased? thats what you are doing if you go UV exclusive.
post #1308 of 1422
Quote:
Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

lol.
UV has everything.
in my situation over a dozen companies would need to conspire to find out all the movies i bought.
would you tell a company all the movies you purchased? thats what you are doing if you go UV exclusive.

I could care less if they know what movies I bought or watched. I have other things in life to be more concerned about. Things that count.

With my vierwing habits, movies represent about 15% of my total viewing time. The other 85% is spent watching TV shows on HD cable.
post #1309 of 1422
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post

I could care less if they know what movies I bought or watched. I have other things in life to be more concerned about. Things that count.
With my vierwing habits, movies represent about 15% of my total viewing time. The other 85% is spent watching TV shows on HD cable.

i care.
once they realize I've purchased 4 versions of the LOTR (dvd,dvd ext, blu, blu ext) they will spam me non stop until I buy the uber LOTR final edition.
post #1310 of 1422
UV knows who you slept with while you were on that "business trip". tongue.gif
post #1311 of 1422
Quote:
Originally Posted by cctvtech View Post

UV knows who you slept with while you were on that "business trip". tongue.gif

Mastercard knows you went to a strip club and had 3 lap dances. biggrin.gif
post #1312 of 1422
Just issue the discs sooner while films are leaving the theaters. Streaming is okay but it must be as the director intended full resolutions of sound and picture. OKAY.
post #1313 of 1422
Quote:
Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

wrong.
Walmart can only share with their affiliates. Walmart, Costco, Target, Amazon, Bestbuy are NOT affiliates, thus they cannot share info.
I have 4 creditcards i buy with.
they do not share either.
bottom line is all you movies will be at one place in UV.
To get that same information from physical media would be impossible and illegal.
Where are you getting this idea from? Any info you WILLINGLY give them(or any business) in a transaction is as much their property as yours. You're confused about what you're LEGALLY(not ethically) entitled to. The only constraints they have are the ones they CONTRACTUALLY have entered into w/ financial institutions. The affiliates policy is just that-a policy. It's not enforced on them by any legal authority. Simply put: they can do whatever they want w/ your info except for what is prohibited by their agreement w/ whomever. Also, sharing a customer's personal info(even if they CAN) is bad for business, so a prominent company wouldn't do it anyway.
post #1314 of 1422
Quote:
Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post

And Walmart couldn't do the same thing? Or your Credit Card companies?
UV only has your video content. The above have everything you buy on a credit card.
You are grasping at straws. Creating some kind of a What If Boogeyman.

wrong.
Walmart can only share with their affiliates. Walmart, Costco, Target, Amazon, Bestbuy are NOT affiliates, thus they cannot share info.

I have 4 creditcards i buy with.
they do not share either.

bottom line is all you movies will be at one place in UV.
To get that same information from physical media would be impossible and illegal.

the banks that issue your credit cards certainly do share information with each other... everyone who issues credit, regardless of form, shares information... if you'd stop and think a second, that's VERY obvious...

you would be very surprised (obviously) about how much information is easily available on just about anything... without anything being "illegal" about it...

"wishing" or "hoping" something is illegal doesn't make it be so...

paranoia is a horrible thing...
Edited by ccotenj - 9/14/12 at 6:59pm
post #1315 of 1422
"your" government basically sold you out when it comes to credit firms and sharing information, sorry. Buy an account with Lexis Nexis or other information firms and you might be amazed at what you can find is out there about ya!
post #1316 of 1422
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post

"your" government basically sold you out when it comes to credit firms and sharing information, sorry. Buy an account with Lexis Nexis or other information firms and you might be amazed at what you can find is out there about ya!

That is the reaction to the Great Recession and the record high number of bankruptcies
post #1317 of 1422
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post

"your" government basically sold you out when it comes to credit firms and sharing information, sorry. Buy an account with Lexis Nexis or other information firms and you might be amazed at what you can find is out there about ya!

That is the reaction to the Great Recession and the record high number of bankruptcies

I more attribute it to the sell out of our government to corporate interests. YMMV. We haven't actually seen the worst yet IMHO, "Great" is premature smile.gif

I've had enough issues with the "credit reporting firms" with crappy file keeping and information and any lack of control by us, the owners, due to our totally lame legislators...Why on earth is the internet "owned" by ISPs?
post #1318 of 1422
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post

"your" government basically sold you out when it comes to credit firms and sharing information, sorry. Buy an account with Lexis Nexis or other information firms and you might be amazed at what you can find is out there about ya!
I'll vouch for that. A couple of years ago, I attended a presentation by LexisNexis. Scary stuff! eek.gif Its amazing what information is available to almost anyone willing to spend the money. They demonstrated how they can track you and all of your acquaintances back and link people and places. The presenter showed a chart detailing all of his connections since college. There were hundreds of links.

What I found scary is their claim that they will only release the first five numbers of your SSN to business/private entities (law enforcement/government agencies get all nine). When I pointed out that there are many ways to get the last four digits, they had nothing to say.

And now they also use social media to drill down into your private lives even deeper. I wonder about the modern generation who posts their every move on Facebook, twitter and the like. Don't they realize that will eventually bite them?

Add to that government initiatives to incorporate facial recognition everywhere and you have a recipe for total control of your lives. See here: FBI's next-gen identification system stirs Big Brother fears.

George Orwell was right - just off by a few years.
Edited by cctvtech - 9/15/12 at 9:52am
post #1319 of 1422
Quote:
Originally Posted by rightintel View Post

Where are you getting this idea from? Any info you WILLINGLY give them(or any business) in a transaction is as much their property as yours. You're confused about what you're LEGALLY(not ethically) entitled to. The only constraints they have are the ones they CONTRACTUALLY have entered into w/ financial institutions. The affiliates policy is just that-a policy. It's not enforced on them by any legal authority. Simply put: they can do whatever they want w/ your info except for what is prohibited by their agreement w/ whomever. Also, sharing a customer's personal info(even if they CAN) is bad for business, so a prominent company wouldn't do it anyway.

BS.

Companies can't legally disclose your personal information to non affiliates. They can't say for example every single product you purchased in the last 12 months. Show me a link or proof that ANY MAJOR RETAILER SELLS SUCH INFORMATION. You won't find it because its illegal and bad business. Look at Walmarts privacy policy. Most major retailers policy is very similar.

http://corporate.walmart.com/privacy-security/walmart-privacy-policy
post #1320 of 1422
^^^

where in there does it support your statement that anything is "illegal"... the only thing in there that states "law" in terms of consent is in regard to medical info, which is covered under hippa... they don't even have to put that in there, as hippa requires express consent...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home