or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › Burn-in is not a thing of the past! Not for Panasonic PDP!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Burn-in is not a thing of the past! Not for Panasonic PDP! - Page 2

post #31 of 117
I find all of this as amazing. I have owned high end LCD for Years but I did own a non-Kuro Plasma (5071) in the day.

I never did any break-in slides like others were doing. Never tip-toed around what I was watching and how long I had a static image on-screen ect.

I never had an IR image in almost 2.5 years I owned that display.

The idea of a wipe function and all this other preemptive steps are ridiculous to me. It's a frigging display for tv and movies viewing pleasure.

Is this happened with my old Pioneer it would have went out the door and I never would have considered Plasma again.

As stated never had this issue. Surprised to hear this.

Rick
post #32 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvtom35 View Post

My Panasonic GT50 has horrible burn-in, not IR, but classic burn-in. I ran the slides for the first 100 hours and then noticed the burn-in from a TV station logo about the 125 hour mark. I am around the 300 hour mark now and the logo has not faded at all. Panasonic will not help me at all and I did not purchase the Best Buy warranty, so I will be staring at the burn-in on the corner of my TV screen for the next 3 years until I can afford to destroy the thing and upgrade. If I could do it all over again, i would break the tv in at least 300 hours before watching anything with a logo.

It seems to be hit or miss most of us don't have any burn-in or even persistent IR, while some folks do. What picture mode are you using? And what is your Contrast set to? Which station logo is getting burned into your screen? Do you watch this particular channel repetitively?

Break in doesn't really do anything to reduce the chance of burn-in nowadays so that wouldn't have really helped you. My GT50 has no burn-in at all and i pretty much watched it normally right out of the box, in Custom mode or THX Daytime mode with the Contrast around +85. I do get some noticeable IR from one particularly bright local news logo that's up on my screen for about 3+ hours every day, but it washes away when i watch other content later in the evening. But even when the IR is in that lower corner, i don't notice it too much because i tend to look more at the center of the screen, and it doesn't really draw my eye to it since it's pretty faint. The Speed Channel logo and banners and tickers are up on my screen a lot more than that news logo but unlike that news logo, there is zero IR from that Speed logo - probably because it's red and not bright white.

Are you within your 30 day return period? If so, you should consider returning it and buy a different brand or an LCD. If you want to keep it, the Pixel Flipper is said to be useful in washing away persistent IR, and other stuff like slideshows of HD images and Pixar animated movies can help wipe IR away too.
post #33 of 117
sucks that IR and even Burn in is happening.
I remember the last couple years how A/V mags were claiming it was
a thing of the past.
I also did not believe them then and know people are getting it.

Please understand that the slides are NOT for IR or burn in protection.
Only time will condition the panel to lesson the time IR takes to disappear.

I personally think it is past 1000 hrs. with the 2010 model 2500hrs because of the voltage
increases.

I repeat, Slides are to quickly get the phosphors to a worn state for CALIBRATION.
There are reported Shifts in the colors emitted.
early plasma literature described how much each color shifted over time.
post #34 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by yenal View Post

My contrast was 100.

frown.gif

post #35 of 117
You don't have "burn in", those slides weren't meant for "burn in", and if you can't handle a little temporary IR, then don't abuse your panel in torch mode with logos, sports, news, games, less than fullscreen content, falling asleep with it on, etc. You also didn't have to call Panasonic to learn that IR isn't covered either. That being said, I'm glad Amazon is taking care of you so that you can get a display better suited for your situation. Since cranking the brightness & contrast are top priority, "LED" is probably better suited for the average J6P who cares more about "POP" than PQ.

smile.gif
post #36 of 117
Funny how no one has a problem with the crummy companies that insist on putting their damn logos on the content you paid to watch that cause the IR/BI in the first place. Write letters. Cancel service. Otherwise it's going to happen. It happened with other phosphor based tech, too (I had a RP CRT that had horrible BI from that stupid ESPN outfit).

PS forgot the rolleyes.gif
post #37 of 117
RandyWalters,

In addition to running slides during the first 100 hours, I also watched blu-rays, zoomed in TV content, Netflix, even browsed the internet. As soon as I let my guard down around that 125 hour mark and began watching normal programming was when I noticed the logo (ID Network). My GT50 at that time was set to THX Cinema, 79 contrast, and 59 brightness, I have not watched the ID channel for the last 175 hours and despite the anti-image retention scrolling bars, analog static, and attempting to torch the TV in vivid mode with the settings maxed out, the ID logo has not faded. I can say that the TV was never paused on the logo and commercials were running in between programs when it occurred. I am outside the 30 day Best Buy period, so I will be keeping my GT50 at this point. I kept telling myself it was just persistent IR for some time, but I really think it is classic burn-in.
post #38 of 117
Most of the IR reports are from brand new or relatively new posters.

I am beginning to wonder:

1. Are we getting the full truth/story?
2. Are they over reacting?
3. Is there bad quality control at Panasonic?

My money is on a combination of 1 and 2 with a few extreme cases falling into the category of 3

There should be a sticky thread in this forum that states the purpose of Break-in Slides. Most newcomers think it is meant to help reduce the chance of getting IR which isn't entirely true. I, for one, never use break-in slides. I buy a TV to watch it and that is exactly what I do, but I do baby it for the first 100 hours or so (mixed content, avoid logos for extended periods of time)
post #39 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBartoletti View Post

This is ridiculous. Who in their right mind wants to deal with this stuff when spending thousands on a TELEVISION? I want to just plug it in and go, not have to do this and that. It's stories like these that totally dissuade me from buying a plasma. Yeah, not everyone has these problems but who wants to take that chance? It's frustrating and I am not even the one it happened to!

Firstly, I 100% agree with you....BUT....

Just assuming but it sounds like you have an LCD television. If so please don't post those words without recognizing daily issues people have with LCD's. Plasma customers generally buy plasma because they can't deal with the constant issues of LCD. Image Retention from plasma technology is a very small issue compared to the annoyances that LCD brings. After spending thousands on an LCD TV the consumer is welcomed with clouding (white patches all over the screen), flash-lighting (white spotlights) in each corner of the screen and the worse issue of all is not being able to get the same PQ from every angle in the room. You have to sit directly in front of an LCD (sweet spot) to get the premium picture. Couple that with not being able to achieve "true cinema-level" black levels can make movie watching no fun on an LCD. You will get a better experience with the ELITE TV but it's starts upwards of $5000 for a 55" and it still doesn't fully rival a plasma.

Plasma Image Retention doesn't happen constantly and when it does it's very faint and very temporary and honestly the consumer doesn't really have to do anything but watch TV to get rid of it.
post #40 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by HLdan View Post

Firstly, I 100% agree with you....BUT....
Just assuming but it sounds like you have an LCD television. If so please don't post those words without recognizing daily issues people have with LCD's. Plasma customers generally buy plasma because they can't deal with the constant issues of LCD. Image Retention from plasma technology is a very small issue compared to the annoyances that LCD brings. After spending thousands on an LCD TV the consumer is welcomed with clouding (white patches all over the screen), flash-lighting (white spotlights) in each corner of the screen and the worse issue of all is not being able to get the same PQ from every angle in the room. You have to sit directly in front of an LCD (sweet spot) to get the premium picture. Couple that with not being able to achieve "true cinema-level" black levels can make movie watching no fun on an LCD. You will get a better experience with the ELITE TV but it's starts upwards of $5000 for a 55" and it still doesn't fully rival a plasma.
Plasma Image Retention doesn't happen constantly and when it does it's very faint and very temporary and honestly the consumer doesn't really have to do anything but watch TV to get rid of it.

In a nutshell.. when buying an LCD, you almost ways start with poor screen uniformity. With a plasma, there is a chance you might get poor screen uniformity (IR)
post #41 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by HLdan View Post

Firstly, I 100% agree with you....BUT....
Just assuming but it sounds like you have an LCD television. If so please don't post those words without recognizing daily issues people have with LCD's. Plasma customers generally buy plasma because they can't deal with the constant issues of LCD. Image Retention from plasma technology is a very small issue compared to the annoyances that LCD brings. After spending thousands on an LCD TV the consumer is welcomed with clouding (white patches all over the screen), flash-lighting (white spotlights) in each corner of the screen and the worse issue of all is not being able to get the same PQ from every angle in the room. You have to sit directly in front of an LCD (sweet spot) to get the premium picture. Couple that with not being able to achieve "true cinema-level" black levels can make movie watching no fun on an LCD. You will get a better experience with the ELITE TV but it's starts upwards of $5000 for a 55" and it still doesn't fully rival a plasma.
Plasma Image Retention doesn't happen constantly and when it does it's very faint and very temporary and honestly the consumer doesn't really have to do anything but watch TV to get rid of it.

I do not have a LCD. I am currently actively shopping and will be purchasing in the next couple of weeks and have gone back and forth between LED/LCD and plasma.
post #42 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBartoletti View Post

I do not have a LCD. I am currently actively shopping and will be purchasing in the next couple of weeks and have gone back and forth between LED/LCD and plasma.

Oh okay, well please keep in mind those things I mentioned about LCD technology so you can take that into account while you make your final decision. Today's TV technology isn't perfect just because it's "today's technology". smile.gif
post #43 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by yenal View Post

My 3 months old 60" ST50 has a TV channel logo burned in to the screen and yes, this is not a bad image retention. Basically during the first 100 hours of the TV I ran the slides as recommended to prevent problems like this. Later on we were still careful about varying channels while we watch cable. However this channel that my wife watches about 2-3 hours a day got its logo burnt in to the screen.

I seriously doubt it is burn-in. That's only 270 hours of logo on a 100,000 hour panel.

It may take weeks to fade, and a lot of screen washing, but I think it will fade out. I would run continuous full white for a few days, if the IR is darker than the background.

Michael
post #44 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvtom35 View Post

.... As soon as I let my guard down around that 125 hour mark and began watching normal programming was when I noticed the logo (ID Network). ..... I can say that the TV was never paused on the logo and commercials were running in between programs when it occurred. I am outside the 30 day Best Buy period, so I will be keeping my GT50 at this point. I kept telling myself it was just persistent IR for some time, but I really think it is classic burn-in.


Our 60ST50 was prone to Medium- to Long-Duration IR up until some point past the 400+ hour mark. Did not notice this until around 200+ hours, as was pretty careful with the panel before that time.

Bright White logos or lettering (such as the Uverse "GUIDE" lettering) were the primary culprits. Note that the "GUIDE" is seldom on screen for more than a few minutes at any one time - but it is FREQUENTLY displayed throughout any typical viewing day. At least for this panel, Frequently Shown static content was as likely to cause IR as content that remained on screen constantly for a couple of hours...

The good news is that once the panel aged enough, IR became less of a problem. There was no "magic" number of hours of usage, but at some point AFTER 400 hours, it began taking a longer display time for IR onset to occur, AND the duration of any IR began to shrink. The set has continued to improve in this regard, and is currently no worse (or, seemingly, better) than either of our other Pan plasmas - which is to say that I can still DEMONSTRATE IR, if necessary, but no longer consider it to be a problem (assuming reasonably normal usage).

Hopefully your IR will fade with continued usage - I found that full-screen, no static image, animation worked rather well when IR was a problem, although currently a few minutes of any "normal" programming takes care of the odd bit of IR that still shows up...
post #45 of 117
All this talk about IR on 2012 Panasonic plasma's is swaying me to go with Samsung instead. Currently have the Samsung 51D490, no IR whatsoever, whether I am gaming, or watching TV on one channel for hours together.

I am a fan of Plasma's and love the picture on them, and was really hoping to get the Panasonic UT50 this time, but this is scary. I don't want to spend hours together running slides or pixel Flipper etc etc. Looks like folks watching even regular TV are getting faint IR. Granted it goes away, but it would freak me out. Bummer, cause i did fall in love with the UT50 model. I think Samsung E550 it is for me. But it would be interesting to know how many folks are really getting IR on their Panny's, perhaps time for a poll / survey. rolleyes.gif
post #46 of 117
Thread Starter 
I am baffled to see people questioning validity of *these accounts* posting into this thread. Seriously what would the benefit of posting this *false* information? I am telling you that this was *burn in* not IR. I've tried various methods for days to remove the *burned in* logo to no avail. Actually some people need to take their Panasonic shirts off.
post #47 of 117
Thread Starter 
Actually I am still thinking of giving plasma one more chance with the Samsung plasmas. But I am really scared. I guess I might need to go with 55HX950 even though I can purchase a 65" plasma for the same price.
post #48 of 117
Just don't run contrast at 100 again


Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2
post #49 of 117
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by primetimeguy View Post

Just don't run contrast at 100 again
Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

Based on tvtom35's feedback that does not solve the problem for good... What would be a reasonable contrast then?
post #50 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by yenal View Post

I am baffled to see people questioning validity of *these accounts* posting into this thread. Seriously what would the benefit of posting this *false* information? I am telling you that this was *burn in* not IR. I've tried various methods for days to remove the *burned in* logo to no avail. Actually some people need to take their Panasonic shirts off.

What about the validity of all of the owners who have NOT reported IR?

Or who have Specifically reported a LACK of IR, even after looking for it?

Or the handful of owners - like ourselves - who reported having a "problem" with IR fairly early in the life of a panel, only to see that issue Self Correct as the panel aged?

In the grand scheme of things, only a tiny fraction of owners have reported significant IR problems which have continued past the first few hundred hours of ownership (perhaps because many owners experiencing IR have not kept their panels for that long of a time).

I am certain that those owners who are complaining about IR are, indeed, seeing IR on their panels. After all, if you have significant IR, it is fairly easy to pick out, even during normal programming.

But, given the wide disparity in owner's experience in this area, rather than an assumption that ALL 2012 Panasonics are afflicted wth a fatal IR problem, it seems much more likely that....
A) There is some GLITCH that impacts a small percentage of 2012 panels; and/or -
B) A handful of owners may be using inadvisable picture settings, and/or leaving Bright, Static Images on-screen for too long, too early in the life of their panel; and/or -
C) Are new plasma owners who simply do not understand the nature of the beast, and become Agitated when they Game for 8 hours, then toss on a gray slide & see some image retention; eek.gif
And/or - D) Don't understand the difference between normal Short-Duration IR, which dissipates readily upon normal usage of the panel, and actual "Burn In," which is rare on current panels - but which I DO believe can happen.

And, yes, for All Practical Puposes, "IR" that lasts for WEEKS might as well BE "Burn-in" in the minds of most users: although that happened some time ago to our 50" Pan, which is now approaching 3 years old and shows no remaining traces of that incident. (Our fault: a bright static image was left on screen for Quite A While - and did remain visible, against the "right" background, for a couple of MONTHS afterwards before fading away....).

Have a lot of sympathy for those having serious IR problems with their panel - try searching on Green Blobs and/or Pink Tint on 2011 panels - but based upon the totality of owner reports thus far, it seems a mistake to condemn the entire year's production...
post #51 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dierkdr View Post

What about the validity of all of the owners who have NOT reported IR?
Have a lot of sympathy for those having serious IR problems with their panel - try searching on Green Blobs and/or Pink Tint on 2011 panels - but based upon the totality of owner reports thus far, it seems a mistake to condemn the entire year's production...

So true, just because someone has BI and thinks running slides will prevent BI doesn't mean all 2012 models are like that. Stop scaring and misleading people just because you had a bad apple, I' ve had my GT 50 for 4 months and it's been nothing but flawless, BEST tv I've ever owned. And I had a top of the line sharp LCD before. Almost every damn channel has a logo in it, I never had burn in at all. Just speaking from my experience.
post #52 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinoheat View Post

So true, just because someone has BI and thinks running slides will prevent BI doesn't mean all 2012 models are like that. Stop scaring and misleading people just because you had a bad apple, I' ve had my GT 50 for 4 months and it's been nothing but flawless, BEST tv I've ever owned. And I had a top of the line sharp LCD before. Almost every damn channel has a logo in it, I never had burn in at all. Just speaking from my experience.

This is weak argument , so many logical fallacies in this type of argument its silly. ( read Argument from silence )


Let just be honest here Panasonic Fan Boys and People Who Work For Panasonic and Post on these forums:

Tests Were Done on IR and Panasonic Failed. See CNET REVIEW.

Your Company's plasma TV for the year 2012 have a problem with IR. There are too many reports of this from numerous websites that it can't be a fluke.

And Just to prove I have nothing against Panasonic; the same type of negative reviews exist for Samsung Plasmas regarding buzzing noise. Just like the Panasonic negative reviews, there are are many who claim that it doesn't exist, that its a small sample size ,etc. And guess what ? They do buzz !!

The reality is that there are too many SHILL REVIEWS online that it becomes obvious when defects come to be noticed. They stick out like sore thumb amongst the "this is so awesome best TV is world ever " reviews.

Admit your company made a crap product and hope they fix it.
post #53 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearzfan1963 View Post

This is weak argument , so many logical fallacies in this type of argument its silly. ( read Argument from silence )
Let just be honest here Panasonic Fan Boys and People Who Work For Panasonic and Post on these forums:
Tests Were Done on IR and Panasonic Failed. See CNET REVIEW.
Your Company's plasma TV for the year 2012 have a problem with IR. There are too many reports of this from numerous websites that it can't be a fluke.
And Just to prove I have nothing against Panasonic; the same type of negative reviews exist for Samsung Plasmas regarding buzzing noise. Just like the Panasonic negative reviews, there are are many who claim that it doesn't exist, that its a small sample size ,etc. And guess what ? They do buzz !!
The reality is that there are too many SHILL REVIEWS online that it becomes obvious when defects come to be noticed. They stick out like sore thumb amongst the "this is so awesome best TV is world ever " reviews.
Admit your company made a crap product and hope they fix it.
This is a blanket statement sure there are bad units from every brand the forums are littered with them does that mean the whole line is bad no and it does not reflect sales versus returns unless you have statistics showing otherwise.
The beauty part of my line of work I get to see what brands fail and what problems exist and for the record Panasonic holds up better than most are they perfect no are there widespread problems no.
post #54 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearzfan1963 View Post

This is weak argument , so many logical fallacies in this type of argument its silly. ( read Argument from silence )
Let just be honest here Panasonic Fan Boys and People Who Work For Panasonic and Post on these forums:
Tests Were Done on IR and Panasonic Failed. See CNET REVIEW.
Your Company's plasma TV for the year 2012 have a problem with IR. There are too many reports of this from numerous websites that it can't be a fluke.
And Just to prove I have nothing against Panasonic; the same type of negative reviews exist for Samsung Plasmas regarding buzzing noise. Just like the Panasonic negative reviews, there are are many who claim that it doesn't exist, that its a small sample size ,etc. And guess what ? They do buzz !!
The reality is that there are too many SHILL REVIEWS online that it becomes obvious when defects come to be noticed. They stick out like sore thumb amongst the "this is so awesome best TV is world ever " reviews.
Admit your company made a crap product and hope they fix it.

"Your Company's ???? TV for the year 2012 have a problem with {fill in the blank}."

There isn't a TV on this forum that doesn't have a problem, if not several, or even many, regardless of price. It may be clouding, off angle loss of contrast or and/or color shift, poor performance with lower quality video, poor gamma, poor uniformity, blooming, cracked screens, motion blur, edge artifacts, cross-talk, poor motion resolution, soap opera effect, banding, buzzing, unexpected reboot, chromaticity errors, faulty calibration controls, judder, slow response times, audio delays, undefeatable processing, high black levels, floating blacks, dead or stuck pixels, ...

The bottom line is the Panasonic Plasmas are the best of the lot this year, with the Sharp Elite also right up there. Yes, I would like to see Panasonic improve IR and the banding on the right side of the screen for 2013.

Let's hear what your perfect TV is.

Michael
post #55 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by oztech View Post

This is a blanket statement sure there are bad units from every brand the forums are littered with them does that mean the whole line is bad no and it does not reflect sales versus returns unless you have statistics showing otherwise.
The beauty part of my line of work I get to see what brands fail and what problems exist and for the record Panasonic holds up better than most are they perfect no are there widespread problems no.


this is the problem in trying to defend your arugment- cnet did a burn in test and panasonic results were similar to the result people on these and other boards have complained about

so are you saying cnet and all these people are lying ? or do you just believe cnet and other reviews that are only postive?!

the problem with 2012 panasonic plasma are not only IR but banding on sports, below average picture processing , and noisy fans/ buzz sound.

i personally just want a good tv that doesnt have these stupid issues- i would be glad to buy a panasonic plasma if i didnt have to worry about logos being burnt in and artifacts and banding when watching sports.

i too didnt believe negative reviews thinkng they were shills but when i rolled the dice on samsung plasma i confirmed that it has a buzzing problem. should i have listened to the complaints i wouldve saved myself the hasssel of returning it.

as i. said before- this is a pretty easy case to confirm since CNET did the testing for us. Please see the burn in test results. So the orginally poster was correct- pansonic panels of the 2012 vintage suffer IR
post #56 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael2000 View Post

"Your Company's ???? TV for the year 2012 have a problem with {fill in the blank}."
There isn't a TV on this forum that doesn't have a problem, if not several, or even many, regardless of price. It may be clouding, off angle loss of contrast or and/or color shift, poor performance with lower quality video, poor gamma, poor uniformity, blooming, cracked screens, motion blur, edge artifacts, cross-talk, poor motion resolution, soap opera effect, banding, buzzing, unexpected reboot, chromaticity errors, faulty calibration controls, judder, slow response times, audio delays, undefeatable processing, high black levels, floating blacks, dead or stuck pixels, ...
The bottom line is the Panasonic Plasmas are the best of the lot this year, with the Sharp Elite also right up there. Yes, I would like to see Panasonic improve IR and the banding on the right side of the screen for 2013.
Let's hear what your perfect TV is.
Michael

i agree with you when you say all tvs have issues or problems.

its sucks that the 2012 panasonic plasmas have ir issues and banding problems etc.


thats the point of this thread- was to warn people that you may get IR with 2012 panasonic plasma tvs

personally , i like the samsung e6500 plasma for out of box picture quality and what appears to be strong resistance to IR. problem i have in recommending the tv is due to this annoying buzzing noise it makes while on. was going to return it for a vt50 but read how poorly it handled IR with logos that it would be ruined with my sports and video game viewing habits

end result- pick a tv that has a defect you can live with in 2012.
post #57 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by yenal View Post

My TV was actually calibrated with a meter. Is it so hard to understand people might actually want to watch content brighter in a sunny living room. Call it torch mode or whatever but a TV should be able to handle this. Anyway I am done with Panasonic and their terrible customer at this point.

I use THX Bright Room all the time. I have no hint of anything resembling image retention. YMMV.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvtom35 View Post

My Panasonic GT50 has horrible burn-in, not IR, but classic burn-in. I ran the slides for the first 100 hours and then noticed the burn-in from a TV station logo about the 125 hour mark. I am around the 300 hour mark now and the logo has not faded at all. Panasonic will not help me at all and I did not purchase the Best Buy warranty, so I will be staring at the burn-in on the corner of my TV screen for the next 3 years until I can afford to destroy the thing and upgrade. If I could do it all over again, i would break the tv in at least 300 hours before watching anything with a logo.

You can run whatever you want; I doubt your logo is permanent and I find your ability to diagnose this highly questionable. The TV has an estimated 100,000 hour life; it's amazing you already know after 300 hours that this logo is permanent.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBartoletti View Post

This is ridiculous. Who in their right mind wants to deal with this stuff when spending thousands on a TELEVISION? I want to just plug it in and go, not have to do this and that. It's stories like these that totally dissuade me from buying a plasma. Yeah, not everyone has these problems but who wants to take that chance? It's frustrating and I am not even the one it happened to!

No one wants to deal with it and virtually none of us have to. What's worth exploring is why some people are having bad experiences when the rest of us clearly are not.
post #58 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by yenal View Post

Actually I am still thinking of giving plasma one more chance with the Samsung plasmas. But I am really scared. I guess I might need to go with 55HX950 even though I can purchase a 65" plasma for the same price.

eek.gif

PLEASE don't, or else you'll just end up with another nasty case of the burn ins, make another thread about it, cause more confusion, libel another company's name, repeat etc. It's a vicious cycle. Just stick with LED & max out itsvsettings, use & abuse without having to constantly scrutinize slides for traces of IR. Besides,you're going to want all that POP!
post #59 of 117
I've got a Panasonic VT50 on a truck to my house in the next few days, so the title of this thread is a bit scary to me.

In the manual, it recommends that the "4:3 Side Bar" setting be "Bright". My current set is a CRT, and the recommended setting was a grey, with the assumption that this would be about the same as the average brightness of the rest of the picture and thus allow the phospor to wear evenly. Note that the same sort of dire warnings about burn-in were part of my CRT manual. I never did anything special other than calibrate the set (which reduced the contrast a lot), and use grey bars on 4:3 content (which was about 70% of the use over the 10 years I've had the TV, and even more in the first year or so, when HD wasn't available much).

I'm puzzled as to how IR or true burn-in can be caused by having no picture on a portion of a plasma display. I can see that you might have a dimmer center if you watch a lot of 4:3 with black sidebars (just like watching a lot of 2.35:1 movies would make the top and bottom lighter), and the sharp line between the regions might look like IR, but it wouldn't be IR, but rather uneven phosphor aging. What do people who watch 4:3 content in the correct aspect ratio set their sidebar color to?

Also, even if I set the TV to "Bright", much of my 4:3 watching will be through my DirecTV receiver, which only has grey, dark grey, and black as sidebar choices, so would grey (which seems to be around 190 luminance) be an OK substitute?
post #60 of 117
I have a 3 year old Sammy 50b560 and I get drunk and fall asleep all the time. I wake up to cursors or the desktop icons seared into the display! I just put on the tv tuner in a full screen hd channel for 5 mins and it clears up! My contrast is only 80 but burn in? I get drunk a lot and it has never burned in permanently...maybe get a Samsung? I'm talking about static images for 8+ hours a couple times a week! Last week I swore my desktop icons would be there forever!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Plasma Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › Burn-in is not a thing of the past! Not for Panasonic PDP!