Originally Posted by petew
My lumber dealer warned me that the stuff wasn't the greatest. They told me it had a lot of warp, which I figured was ok for well braced speaker cabs (I have lots of clamps). The worst drawback is the face veneer glue does not stick. You can peel the veneer off in big sheets. I've done dado joints everywhere to remove the face veneer and it's worked alright.
Yup, that looks like the same stuff. Every other ply is some weird type of wood that doesn't route well.. it just tears.
On the theater front... I got all of the doors trimmed and re-hung. No more rubbing on the carpet. They all needed about 1/8-1/4" removed.
I also got the doorknob installed in the main door. I was going to get a nice Baldwin set to match the rest of the house, but it was $180 (satin nickel on the outside, satin black on the inside. So instead I got a commercial leverset to match my mechanical room door. The mechanical room is UL rated 2-hour (UL door, door buck, hinges and leverset), so that never matched anything else. Well, now it matches something
It's a Hager leverset with the higher ANSI rating. Nice solid feeling and good action:
I also got the rear fabric panels reinstalled after the carpet. I got some of the banana plugs and the RCA for future sub terminated. Then I ran out of quickport decora inserts (HTH did that happen??). So I couldn't finish that. I bought the solderable banana jack keystones from Monoprice in white. What a PITA. I had to disassemble them to paint them black, then solder them and reassemble. There is no way you could solder those while they are tight on the plastic keystone. They would melt in an instant. And the banana jack has this annoying little nub you're supposed to solder too. Fine if you're using 18ga. Not so fine with 12ga. Major pain. I would definitely buy a different brand in black with a better soldering point:
I got the rear surrounds installed. I've worried about the placement versus the 4" recessed lights.. but I think it worked out pretty good. I like the shadow line across the front of them. Well, I more than like it.. I think it's pretty badass as far as that goes:
I also got 2 full wet coats of lacquer in the sealed subs. One side was a little too
wet and I got some runs. There's a fine line between "full wet" and "too f-in wet":