or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Mr.Tim's 15x27 Theater - Page 18

post #511 of 595
If it ain't broke... biggrin.gif
post #512 of 595
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

....i5 CPU with SSD, 8GB DDR3 (not the slow crap) and a Radeon 7790 or higher GPU. Your not going to run all the goodies on an openELEC or linux platform with a RasPi

SVP alone will crush an i3 CPU into brutal submission.


Edited by TMcG - 8/28/13 at 5:15am
post #513 of 595
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMcG View Post

ROFLMAO
post #514 of 595
In HTPC world the "deathstar" is a moniker given to a notoriously high failure rate on a specific series of Hitachi brand hard drives called "deskstar".


post #515 of 595
Thread Starter 
Finally got all of the subwoofers hooked up and tuned in. Here's what it looks like:

20130831%2520all%2520subs.png




Here is what the sealed vs horns looks like:

20130831%2520subs.png


I set a LP filter in the sealed subs at 30 and the improvement was amazing. I should measure again without the LP filter.. but I'm afraid to touch anything! biggrin.gif


Tim
post #516 of 595
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Tim View Post

Finally got all of the subwoofers hooked up and tuned in. Here's what it looks like:

20130831%2520all%2520subs.png




Here is what the sealed vs horns looks like:

20130831%2520subs.png


I set a LP filter in the sealed subs at 30 and the improvement was amazing. I should measure again without the LP filter.. but I'm afraid to touch anything! biggrin.gif.


Tim
. What kind of improvement are you talking about? Have any measurements before the lp filter?
post #517 of 595
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pain Infliction View Post

. What kind of improvement are you talking about? Have any measurements before the lp filter?

No, I neglected to save that measurement. I think I had a phase issue, but it was difficult to tell because you can't overlay the phases. Basically, a peak and null above the 30Hz region.

Tim
post #518 of 595
Looks like you did a great job integrating them together and with the eq!
post #519 of 595
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pain Infliction View Post

Looks like you did a great job integrating them together and with the eq!

Thanks, the DCX2496 worked out really well.

Now it's just a matter of getting the sub level correct. Supposed to be 10dB hotter than the mains? I see REW has a "subwoofer" checkbox in the generator... time to read some more.

Tim
post #520 of 595
Tim, it's supposed to be wherever you want it. Now that it's flat, just turn the gain up on the amps until it sounds right.
post #521 of 595
i can't seem to find what sealed subs you are using. What are they? Their output looks really goo on the low end. What amp are you feeding them as well?
post #522 of 595
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by HopefulFred View Post

Tim, it's supposed to be wherever you want it. Now that it's flat, just turn the gain up on the amps until it sounds right.

Thanks, Fred. I thought there was a level for "reference". I was going to start there and adjust as necessary. When we watched our first movie SWBO said "too much! You're crazy!"

I'm powering the F20's with a Behringer NU1000. The amp is not even close to being clipped and I have the gain at about 3 o'clock IIRC.


Tim
Edited by Mr.Tim - 10/7/13 at 5:11pm
post #523 of 595
Thread Starter 
Here's the frames for my fabric panels:

IMG_1807.JPG

IMG_1808.JPG

IMG_1809.JPG


The frames are 2-1/2" deep. 3/8" ply on the back keeps them square and provides a surface to mount the z-clips. I'll be using 2" knauf rigid insulation in them.

If anybody needs z-clips, let me know. I found a manufacturer about an hour from me so I ordered a ton of them. I think I'll have at least 100 of them left over.

Tim
post #524 of 595
Looking good Tim !
post #525 of 595
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScAndal View Post

Yatse is much more polished, faster and less buggy. The official app is not awful, just not as good as Yatse. Yatse on the tablet is gorgeous. Not a game changer, just a bit better at the same cost wink.gif

I installed Yatse. I can't speak about a longer-term trial and consequently reliability.. but right off the bat I can say the interface is way better than the official XBMC app. Hands-down the Yatse app is way nicer looking. As long as it continues to work I will definitely use it.


Tim
post #526 of 595

HOw many panels did you make?

 

Is your premier still this weekend?

post #527 of 595
Just some advice.....I do not know what color fabric you are using, but painting the wood the same color of close to the same color makes it so you dont see the wood behind the fabric. I used burlap and when it is stretched over the wood I could see the wood. I then painted all the frames black ( I had black fabric) and they were not noticeable any more.
post #528 of 595
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by NGiovas View Post

HOw many panels did you make?

Is your premier still this weekend?

21 panels.. Premier is Wednesday. Many of the panels aren't actually treatments, they just even out the look. I spend hours (and hours) trying to figure out panel sizes that would work across all of the walls.. Turns out smaller sizes worked better. The agony.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pain Infliction View Post

Just some advice.....I do not know what color fabric you are using, but painting the wood the same color of close to the same color makes it so you dont see the wood behind the fabric. I used burlap and when it is stretched over the wood I could see the wood. I then painted all the frames black ( I had black fabric) and they were not noticeable any more.

I have painted all of my frames black so far. MDF is brown-ish and I am seriously considering foregoing the paint. My walls are brown anyway smile.gif I'll wrap one and see how it goes. Thanks for the tip.

Tim
post #529 of 595
Lol I hear ya on that. What sucks is actually have to make all of those panels. I think the worst part is wrapping them with the fabric. You will go through more staples then you would think.
post #530 of 595
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pain Infliction View Post

Lol I hear ya on that. What sucks is actually have to make all of those panels. I think the worst part is wrapping them with the fabric. You will go through more staples then you would think.

Don't I know it.. I went through a lot of black fabric so far. I do have to say the porter cable air stapler works like a champ. I can't imagine trying to do all these panels with some cheap stapler.

The other task is cutting the fabric. If I had it to do all over I would set up some sort of cutting table.

Tim
post #531 of 595
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Tim View Post

Don't I know it.. I went through a lot of black fabric so far. I do have to say the porter cable air stapler works like a champ. I can't imagine trying to do all these panels with some cheap stapler.

The other task is cutting the fabric. If I had it to do all over I would set up some sort of cutting table.

Tim

Keep track of how many staples you end up using. I will be curious...
post #532 of 595
I used over 5000 in my theater. That was for my acoustic panels and front wall panels. I uses a manual cheap stapler too lol. biggrin.gif
post #533 of 595
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

Keep track of how many staples you end up using. I will be curious...

I used between 25-30,000 on 100 panels.
post #534 of 595
Mr. Tim,

Thank you so much for taking the time to put so much detail into your thread as well as your theater. As a newbie theater builder who will start him this winter your post here will be so informative. This is definitely a "subscribed" thread. I hope mine turn out half as good as yours.

Thanks,

Chip
post #535 of 595
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pain Infliction View Post

I used over 5000 in my theater. That was for my acoustic panels and front wall panels. I uses a manual cheap stapler too lol. biggrin.gif

You poor bastard! I would make some off remark about the strength of your right hand, but I'm too busy feeling bad for you!


Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceman View Post

I used between 25-30,000 on 100 panels.

I have two boxes (10k per box, I think?) and have about half left IIRC.


Quote:
Originally Posted by chiptouz View Post

Mr. Tim,

Thank you so much for taking the time to put so much detail into your thread as well as your theater. As a newbie theater builder who will start him this winter your post here will be so informative. This is definitely a "subscribed" thread. I hope mine turn out half as good as yours.

Thanks,

Chip

No problem! There are many threads that have a lot of detail. I just tried to add mine to the collective. Thanks for stopping by!

Tim
post #536 of 595
How did the premier go Wednesday?
post #537 of 595
Quote:
Originally Posted by NGiovas View Post

How did the premier go Wednesday?

+1
post #538 of 595
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by NGiovas View Post

How did the premier go Wednesday?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMcG View Post

+1

It went well. Light turnout but we had a blast. One person jumped out of their seat when the first bass punch hit.

Olympus Has Fallen... holy crap the LFE was phenomenal. The next day one person said "I thought than damn plane was going to land on my lap"

I also learned that my HVAC calcs were spot on.. the whole house CAC will not handle a full theater... It will hold steady with 5 people, anything more temp starts to rise. WHich means you have to cool it before people arrive.. you can't sit people in there then bump the stat down and expect the temp to drop. I knew that going in... I had figured the CFM for 3 people and roughed for a mini-split.

Also, the halogen bulbs will affect the temperature immensely. With all of them on the system struggles.

Tim
Edited by Mr.Tim - 10/7/13 at 5:05pm
post #539 of 595

Glad to hear it went well.  It's always fun to see peoples reactions when they first see the theater. Even more fun to see the their reaction when you actually start the movie.

 

Where did you get the theater shorts from?  Did you just get them from Youtube? And is the Cinema Experience just an XMBC thing?

 

PS...

 

You are invited to our local theater meet in a couple of months.  Make sure you plan to stop in :).

post #540 of 595
Great news on the premiere! Also, a topic that I'm particularly sensitive to, great to hear the AC worked well. That issue keeps me awake at night.

You may have convinced me to give HTPCs another try. I had one several years ago, but I got tired of having to test every movie to make sure it would work, and there seemed to be endless tweaks required to keep it working well. The features you're describing are ones I've been wanting, but didn't see a clear way to get to.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home