or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Other Areas of Interest › Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion › Chris Pine as Jack Ryan in "Jack Ryan"
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Chris Pine as Jack Ryan in "Jack Ryan"

post #1 of 25
Thread Starter 
http://insidemovies.ew.com/2012/08/31/chris-pine-jack-ryan-photo/

Perhaps I missed it but I didn't even know this was being considered let along in the works, let further alone starring Chris Pine. I've always liked Clancy's stories and I like Pine. We'll see what happens with this one.
post #2 of 25
Hope they don't try to make it too much a Bourne clone. Ugh. *shudders*
post #3 of 25
I can actually see Pine doing well, providing the script suits him.
post #4 of 25
Can't be worse then Ben.
post #5 of 25
+1.

Just hope it's not another remake.
post #6 of 25
Quote:
The legendary Kenneth Branagh is directing the latest big screen treatment of Tom Clancy's Jack Ryan in Manhattan;

The original script was written by Adam Cozad and has since been worked on by David Koepp. The movie is a prequel to the previous Jack Ryan films, and follows a 20-something Ryan.

It shows him leaving the Marines to take up a position as a financial consultant for a Russian billionaire, and he's framed in a terrorist plot, then forced to go on the run.
Costner plays William Harper, a legendary CIA field agent who recruits Pine's Jack Ryan and becomes his mentor.

Kiera Knightley will be playing the film's female lead.

From Manhattan the other day;

adkZI0m1.jpg achY9tEO.jpg adnZhiEC.jpg abwOyxRM.jpg adxNcJEI.jpg adcF7sMZ.jpg acgEjmma.jpg
post #7 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolscan View Post

It shows him leaving the Marines to take up a position as a financial consultant for a Russian billionaire, and he's framed in a terrorist plot, then forced to go on the run.
Costner plays William Harper, a legendary CIA field agent who recruits Pine's Jack Ryan and becomes his mentor.

Just from this description alone, how blatantly obvious is it that a plot twist in the last reel will reveal Costner to be the evil mastermind behind the whole plot?
post #8 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post

Just from this description alone, how blatantly obvious is it that a plot twist in the last reel will reveal Costner to be the evil mastermind behind the whole plot?
How about some SPOILER TAGS?
You've ruined it for me.biggrin.gif
post #9 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post

Just from this description alone, how blatantly obvious is it that a plot twist in the last reel will reveal Costner to be the evil mastermind behind the whole plot?

But, Kevin Costner is The Bodyguard! There is no way he would be behind something so sinister. If anything, he'll take a bullet for good ol' Jack.
post #10 of 25
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSmith83 View Post

But, Kevin Costner is The Bodyguard! There is no way he would be behind something so sinister. If anything, he'll take a bullet for good ol' Jack.

That's actually very funny! I would have gone the Elliott Ness route, you know, do gooder boy scout and all. The Bodyguard was clearly the way to go.
post #11 of 25
If he's secretly a Russian spy, does that make this both a prequel to the Jack Ryan movies and a sequel to
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
No Way Out?
post #12 of 25
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post

If he's secretly a Russian spy, does that make this both a prequel to the Jack Ryan movies and a sequel to Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
No Way Out?

Nicely played!
post #13 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post

Just from this description alone, how blatantly obvious is it that a plot twist in the last reel will reveal Costner to be the evil mastermind behind the whole plot?
It's pathetic that the scenario you just mentioned is not only plausible, but completely expected. I'm hoping he gets shot or blowed up either way. Preferably with an eyeball flying straight at the screen in order to take full advantage of the successful thr33 dymenshanel format that will Shirley be used since it makes crappy movies great.
post #14 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by sb1 View Post

It's pathetic that the scenario you just mentioned is not only plausible, but completely expected. I'm hoping he gets shot or blowed up either way. Preferably with an eyeball flying straight at the screen in order to take full advantage of the successful thr33 dymenshanel format that will Shirley be used since it makes crappy movies great.

No 3D. 2D only - but TONS of lens flares, shaky cams and 360 degree spinning POV camera shots which ALL add to the enjoyment of 2D movies.

rolleyes.gif
post #15 of 25
Josh, I'd wager a kick to the nutsack you are right.
post #16 of 25
Does this thing have the slightest bit to do with anything Tom Clancy wrote? I'm assuming it doesn't, which is why Josh's scenario is all too plausible. Ryan was writing books and working as a CIA analyst before "Red October", not some Bourne-like superspy or something.
post #17 of 25
Looking at the trailer, it's more like a John Clark movie, not Jack Ryan.
post #18 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonbud0 View Post

Looking at the trailer, it's more like a John Clark movie, not Jack Ryan.

I saw the trailer for this when I saw Gravity. Looked more like another Bourne movie rolleyes.gif than a decent Jack Ryan movie.
post #19 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Closet Geek View Post

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2012/08/31/chris-pine-jack-ryan-photo/

Perhaps I missed it but I didn't even know this was being considered let along in the works, let further alone starring Chris Pine. I've always liked Clancy's stories and I like Pine. We'll see what happens with this one.
This has actually been in the works for awhile, the first thing that was known that Pine would play Ryan, beyond that the actual story concept wasn't quite set.
Paramount has been looking for away to restart the Jack Ryan franchise for a number of years.
post #20 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceAgeTom View Post

Does this thing have the slightest bit to do with anything Tom Clancy wrote? I'm assuming it doesn't, which is why Josh's scenario is all too plausible. Ryan was writing books and working as a CIA analyst before "Red October", not some Bourne-like superspy or something.
Wait for more information, trailers don't tell as much as you think...That's all I,m allowed to say.
post #21 of 25
"Restart"? This is a complete reboot, since Jack Ryan in his 20's would have a 1970's setting. But the vehicles and costumes above are completely contemporary 2010's versions. Jack Ryan WAS IN THE COLD WAR, after all. Nothing about this makes any sense, it is 100% Hollywood nonsense.

But then again, the average teenage moviegoer could not explain where the Cold War was fought, much less that it was not actually fought, or that it was NATO vs. Soviet Union.
post #22 of 25
Jack Ryan is too young in this. Pass.
post #23 of 25
I think he was pretty young when he started out in the Clancy novels. And that's apparently the Jack Ryan we meet here. It's a reboot, or more accurately, a re-imagining of the character. Don't really understand why, other than Hollywood's predilection for recognizable names translating to more box office from a jaded public.

Jack eventually rising all the way to president was kind of ridiculous (the series' "jump the shark" moment), but I guess Clancy felt the need to keep "growing" the character in some fashion.
post #24 of 25
No doubt a complete reboot. Look, today a film like THE HUNT FOR RED OCTOBER would be almost impossible to make. Not enough 'action' would be the excuse. 'Too much talking.' Etc. etc. Yet it's one of the most suspensful films I have had the pleasure of seeing in a theater and the massive box office proves just hot effective it was (and still is). Unfortunately for us studios are now obsessed with sticking to an actual formula of so many action beats per page, followed by so many pages of comedy, etc. etc. The writers are actually following a written down formula. I've seen it. I've been forced to do it.

The BOURNE thing is huge and with the Daniel Craig Bonds doing boffo box office, this is what we are going to get. I love those films, but one size does not fit all.

By the way, I look at Clancy's first four books as being the Holy Grail of suspense novels. After that I felt it was diminishing returns, but hot damn, Clear and Present Danger is a terrific read.

Back on topic... If the film is good, I'll forgive. But I have my doubts and as Josh pointed out earlier, I think we will have a twist two thirds in we can see coming just from the actors involved.
post #25 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_Stevens View Post

No doubt a complete reboot. Look, today a film like THE HUNT FOR RED OCTOBER would be almost impossible to make. Not enough 'action' would be the excuse. 'Too much talking.' Etc. etc. Yet it's one of the most suspensful films I have had the pleasure of seeing in a theater and the massive box office proves just hot effective it was (and still is). Unfortunately for us studios are now obsessed with sticking to an actual formula of so many action beats per page, followed by so many pages of comedy, etc. etc. The writers are actually following a written down formula. I've seen it. I've been forced to do it.

The BOURNE thing is huge and with the Daniel Craig Bonds doing boffo box office, this is what we are going to get. I love those films, but one size does not fit all.

By the way, I look at Clancy's first four books as being the Holy Grail of suspense novels. After that I felt it was diminishing returns, but hot damn, Clear and Present Danger is a terrific read.

Back on topic... If the film is good, I'll forgive. But I have my doubts and as Josh pointed out earlier, I think we will have a twist two thirds in we can see coming just from the actors involved.
Hunt for Red October was a period piece from the Soviet Era, that alone would not get it made today, too much of a political mine field. Paramount is not the house of Bourne. If anything be on the lookout for influences from a little film series called Mission Impossible (which Paramount owns).
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Other Areas of Interest › Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion › Chris Pine as Jack Ryan in "Jack Ryan"