or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Programming › "American Horror Story: Asylum" on FX HD
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

"American Horror Story: Asylum" on FX HD - Page 3

post #61 of 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonwolf615 View Post

Some of us might have a higher opinion of it than you do. smile.gif

Some of us don't (but it's only been one episode). smile.gif
post #62 of 227
Awesome. Good episode.

So many things were shocking eek.gif
post #63 of 227
I'm liking this more than last year. And I liked last year.
post #64 of 227
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

+1 Thank you. smile.gif It's so easy to go to IMDB or the show's website if you forget a name; just takes a minute.

Yeah, I know exactly what you mean ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

I was thinking Olivia was a paranormal evildoer just like Gavin - they seemed to be in cahoots - but now it appears she's "human" and still mourning the loss of her daughter (which I'm convinced is the klepto-girl).

It's so easy to just go to the ABC site for 666 Park Avenue, it's iMDB page or Wikipedia entry or it's Wikia and look up the character of Nona. Only takes a minute. tongue.gif

I was disappointed we didn't get to see more of Jenny Wade. I would much rather have her onscreen than Chloe Sevigny. I just find her character annoyingly overacted.

The show is throwing out a lot of red herrings regarding bloody face. Is it the perverted, mad doctor? The mutants roaming the woods? The sympathetic shrink? Humans under the control of aliens/demons? Is it Kit, the mild-mannered mechanic ... could be!

And I take it back. I think Adam Levine was a good casting choice for this role. biggrin.gif
post #65 of 227
Good episode last night. Is it me or does this season seem more intense?
post #66 of 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wytchone View Post

Good episode last night. Is it me or does this season seem more intense?

As in edge of you seat intense? No, it's not just you, I get the same feeling. biggrin.gif The possession swap should provide some interesting future story lines.
post #67 of 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by curtlots View Post

As in edge of you seat intense? No, it's not just you, I get the same feeling. biggrin.gif The possession swap should provide some interesting future story lines.

Demon in Hot Nun's body. Yep no trouble coming from that at all. No sir're nothing at all cool.gif
post #68 of 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post

Whats this thing you call exercising???? I have never heard of it wink.gifbiggrin.gif

Ha. I lost a pregnant-like beer belly and gained rectus abdominis (6 pack) muscles. It's a transformation! eek.gif
Anyways.
post #69 of 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonwolf615 View Post

I'm liking this more than last year. And I liked last year.

The wife and I deleted our season pass to this after last night's episode. We loved last year, but this year just seems to be going over the top for the 'slasher/gore/shock' factor. The story is lacking and it's just seems to be a bunch of scenes trying to 'one up' the last one with over the top gore and shocking subject matter.

I'm kinda of glad... our DVR was overflowing as it was. smile.gif
post #70 of 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post

Yeah, I know exactly what you mean ...
It's so easy to just go to the ABC site for 666 Park Avenue, it's iMDB page or Wikipedia entry or it's Wikia and look up the character of Nona. Only takes a minute. tongue.gif

Touché. tongue.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn 
The show is throwing out a lot of red herrings regarding bloody face. Is it the perverted, mad doctor? The mutants roaming the woods? The sympathetic shrink? Humans under the control of aliens/demons? Is it Kit, the mild-mannered mechanic ... could be!

Since Bloody Face appeared at Wendy's apartment and dragged her off to (presumably) her doom, he must be able to freely come and go from the Asylum, i.e. not a patient. OTOH, we now know there's a tunnel.
post #71 of 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTiVo View Post

The wife and I deleted our season pass to this after last night's episode. We loved last year, but this year just seems to be going over the top for the 'slasher/gore/shock' factor. The story is lacking and it's just seems to be a bunch of scenes trying to 'one up' the last one with over the top gore and shocking subject matter.
I'm kinda of glad... our DVR was overflowing as it was. smile.gif

Story lacking after 2 episodes? get out :P

They have just been laying ground work and for the msot part introducing the characters....IMO if you cant take the gore, then this show really isnt for you....paying homage to the horror\slaher movies of old with this seasson....For me I think they are still building things up, and Im still hooked, interested, the gore doesnt bother me at all and instead just takes me out of it (ala early episodes of Spartacus)...They ahve so much going on right now focusing on more characters than they did last year, so its been "harder" to get a grip on where they want to go....
post #72 of 227
All I can say is, if you knew where the show was going after two episodes last year you're better than I am. smile.gif In fact watching last season has prepared me for this one-I don't expect to know whats going on this early. But this season seems more tightly focused than last to me, at least so far. The writing seems more confident, the characters better defined. Last year they seemed to be feeling their way at this point in the run. This year I get the impression they know exactly where they are going. I'm more than willing to just sit back and enjoy the ride. Outside of Fringe I can't think of another serial show now on I'd say that about.
post #73 of 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTiVo View Post

The wife and I deleted our season pass to this after last night's episode. We loved last year, but this year just seems to be going over the top for the 'slasher/gore/shock' factor. The story is lacking and it's just seems to be a bunch of scenes trying to 'one up' the last one with over the top gore and shocking subject matter.
I'm kinda of glad... our DVR was overflowing as it was. smile.gif
I feel exactly the same way. This season is very different and is essentially a combination of horror movies we've seen before.
post #74 of 227
I think the word we are looking for is BIZARRE:eek:
post #75 of 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTiVo View Post

The wife and I deleted our season pass to this after last night's episode. We loved last year, but this year just seems to be going over the top for the 'slasher/gore/shock' factor ...

This is almost what I was going to write. The wife and I cancelled the season pass a couple of days ago after watching the latest episode, albeit with a lot of regret, because we loved the first season.

There is a lot going for AHS this season - excellent cast, all chewing the scenery so dramatcially that I'm surprised there's any scenery left, lots of mysteries to solve, and it's not clear to me where the plot lines are going (which is a plus in my book). But the tone has shifted from sublime psychological (and sexual) suspense and mystery to slasher / gore, which is something neither my wife or I are interested in. Not knowing who was a ghost, why they became a ghost, when they became a ghost, etc in the first season was brilliantly done. And having the ghosts assume full physical form and function (with certain limitations) was also brilliant, because there was never a quick and easy answer for the ghost questions (no "hazy outlines wavering in the air" ... and definitely no Caspar characters!).

I'll keep an eye out (hmmm - that could have a different meaning this close to Halloween) for the third season, assuming ratings hold and the show is renewed, to see what differences there might be for the next iteration.

Cliff
post #76 of 227
Can't wait for tonight! biggrin.gif

Interesting to see people turned away from too much nastiness and gore when the word "horror" is in the title of the show.
This show sort of takes Showtime's Masters of Horror to the next level in a way. MoH had a lot of gore, but AHS has it in a different, freaky, way.

Masters of Horror was a great TV series. Classic 1-hour horror flicks.
post #77 of 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by Young C View Post

Can't wait for tonight! biggrin.gif
Interesting to see people turned away from too much nastiness and gore when the word "horror" is in the title of the show.
.

Have to agree. The way I understood it, the show was conceived to explore the various subgenres of horror. Like it or not gore has been the defining feature in most horror for the last 40 years-the show had to go there.
post #78 of 227
Spectacular. Such a wild show.
post #79 of 227
WHile I liked the first season, it was getting to the point where that was becoming one crowded gaggle of ghosts under one roof. I'm enjoying the second season MUCH more...not just because it's bloodier, but it's also very nihilistic and suspenseful as well. Got a kick out of Chloe Sevigny recreating her notorious "Bunny" role. I think it's gonna be hard for a third season to top it, at least so far.. No offense meant to anyone but I'm kinda glad to hear that some find it repellant. Good horror should be offensive...most folks probably don't realize that "Frankenstein" offended many people back when it was first released. (With some scenes, as we know, removed...but thankfully restored now). And has Cromwell ever attacked a role like this before? After his stint is done on AHS, might need to see BABE!
post #80 of 227
I find this show more inventive, exciting, and scary, than 95% of the movies being made!
post #81 of 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by curtlots View Post

I find this show more inventive, exciting, and scary, than 95% of the movies being made!

So far, I find this season too stagey, inelegant, and fragmented, but that won't stop me from watching each episode! smile.gif
Edited by Joseph - 11/1/12 at 4:55pm
post #82 of 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinema13 View Post

WHile I liked the first season, it was getting to the point where that was becoming one crowded gaggle of ghosts under one roof. I'm enjoying the second season MUCH more...not just because it's bloodier, but it's also very nihilistic and suspenseful as well. Got a kick out of Chloe Sevigny recreating her notorious "Bunny" role. I think it's gonna be hard for a third season to top it, at least so far.. No offense meant to anyone but I'm kinda glad to hear that some find it repellant. Good horror should be offensive...most folks probably don't realize that "Frankenstein" offended many people back when it was first released. (With some scenes, as we know, removed...but thankfully restored now). And has Cromwell ever attacked a role like this before? After his stint is done on AHS, might need to see BABE!
Very nicely put. Totally agree.
post #83 of 227
I loved watching the despicable character of Sister Jude getting some payback!
post #84 of 227
I'm enjoying the second season and noticing what may be a homage to Italian horror which I love.
post #85 of 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by Young C View Post

... Interesting to see people turned away from too much nastiness and gore when the word "horror" is in the title of the show. ...

Nastiness and gore is not the issue - the other series we (wife and I) are watching (and loving) have plenty of it - The Walking Dead and Game of Thrones (just starting to watch it on disc) are just two of them, and AHS had quite a bit in the first season. So it's mainly the emphasis and shift towards a genre we don't enjoy (WD and GoT I would not classify as slasher / gore horror series). I still think of AHS season 1 as a ghost story, definitely with a lot of modern horror / violence / gore / sexual aspects to it.

Cliff
post #86 of 227
Cliff,

Thanks for the reply biggrin.gif
post #87 of 227
I think this season is a pale comparison to season 1. There seems to be no underlying storyline like in season 1 that is keeping things together, just a lot of jumbled things tossed together. Seems like they are trying to force these diffferent stories into one over all arc. Gonna stick with it, but not as happy as season 1.
post #88 of 227
I think the jury's still out on how effectively all this will tie together in the end. They've got the dual task of building a suspenseful season-long arc while also making each individual episode a barn-burning fright-fest, this time without ghosts. All the gore is probably because that's where Hollywood has set the horror bar in recent years and what viewers have come to expect. '666 Park Avenue' is trying a more talkie, less gory path, and isn't succeeding very well, I'm afraid. Last year's AHS was more of that variety, so they're trying something different this year. I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt.
post #89 of 227
Originally Posted by cinema13

WHile I liked the first season, it was getting to the point where that was becoming one crowded gaggle of ghosts under one roof. I'm enjoying the second season MUCH more...not just because it's bloodier, but it's also very nihilistic and suspenseful as well. Got a kick out of Chloe Sevigny recreating her notorious "Bunny" role. I think it's gonna be hard for a third season to top it, at least so far.. No offense meant to anyone but I'm kinda glad to hear that some find it repellant. Good horror should be offensive...most folks probably don't realize that "Frankenstein" offended many people back when it was first released. (With some scenes, as we know, removed...but thankfully restored now). And has Cromwell ever attacked a role like this before? After his stint is done on AHS, might need to see BABE!

Meh, I don't know about this season. Last season everyone chattered about who was a ghost, how they got to be a ghost and what was going to happen to them. Maybe it's just me but all the sexual and totally anti-Catholic stuff is really putting me off. The scene with the Virgin Mary statue was over the top. And I'll never be able to look at Zefran Concoran, the father of the Warp drive - Star Trek (James Cromwell) the same way again.
post #90 of 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltownsend View Post

The scene with the Virgin Mary statue was over the top. And I'll never be able to look at Zefran Concoran, the father of the Warp drive - Star Trek (James Cromwell) the same way again.

THE EXORCIST had a similar scene. And it's a tribute to the talent of Cromwell (and the writer, Jennifer Salt,, who starred in DePalma's excellent SISTERS) that he can have you revile his character as much as you enjoyed his portrayal of Cochran.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: HDTV Programming
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Programming › "American Horror Story: Asylum" on FX HD