or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming › POPCORN HOUR A-400 is coming soon
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

POPCORN HOUR A-400 is coming soon - Page 47

post #1381 of 2280
So yamj then, lol. Maybe a bit more noob-proof?

James
post #1382 of 2280
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastermaybe View Post

So yamj then, lol. Maybe a bit more noob-proof?

James

NMJ is more noob proof. YAMJ can have a high learning curve. YAMJ is more tweakable and has many many options. NMJ is a scan and forget it type deal
post #1383 of 2280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wryker View Post

to add to halflite's post YAMJ does this already (multi-drive support) out of the 'box'. So it's whatever flavor you choose. NMJ's benefit is that you can use your android tablet or iPad to control your A400 and see the NMJ jukebox on it.

For me that was one of the main reasons I got a couple of A400's. Using my Andorid tablets is how I normally access the database. Although with the new changes accessing it from the A400 itself is much better and faster now. Plus it looks similar to how it looks on the tablet now. The app combined with NMJ2 has worked very well for me.
post #1384 of 2280
Just grabbed a 4TB Seagate from Costco for $139. Now just waiting on the 400.

James
post #1385 of 2280
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfelite View Post

NMJ is more noob proof. YAMJ can have a high learning curve. YAMJ is more tweakable and has many many options. NMJ is a scan and forget it type deal

Oh ok, it was sounding like the yamj was at least easier to set up for multiple sources.

James
post #1386 of 2280
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastermaybe View Post

Oh ok, it was sounding like the yamj was at least easier to set up for multiple sources.

James

YAMJ is a PIA to set up if you don't know what you doing.
post #1387 of 2280
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastermaybe View Post

Oh ok, it was sounding like the yamj was at least easier to set up for multiple sources.

James

For setting up NMJ for multiple sources you would fist kick off a NMJ scan from the pch like normal it will create a folder called NMJ_DB inside is a file called media.db you will load this into NMJtoolbox and under paths option you will setup your source paths IE if they are local drives to the PCH or network paths smb:\\computername\sharename and hit save and you are done and NMJ will scan all sources the next time you tell it to update
post #1388 of 2280
Ok, so what should I do to give myself a head start before this arrives? Visit the NMT site and download the software/NMJ toolbox?

James
Edited by mastermaybe - 5/9/13 at 7:54am
post #1389 of 2280
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastermaybe View Post

Ok, so what should I do to give myself a head start before this arrives? Visit the NMT site and download the software/NMJ toolbox?

James

Research all you can/want.
Download The Renamer & have your files named in a correct format.
Make sure that all your music is tagged with images(if you are putting music on the hard drive). NMJ doesn't download music art.
Familiarize yourself with NMJ Toolbox.
Download the latest firmware & put if on a flash drive.
Read, read, & read the forums...
post #1390 of 2280
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadett View Post

Research all you can/want.
Download The Renamer & have your files named in a correct format.
Make sure that all your music is tagged with images(if you are putting music on the hard drive). NMJ doesn't download music art.
Familiarize yourself with NMJ Toolbox.
Download the latest firmware & put if on a flash drive.
Read, read, & read the forums...

Avoid using long complicated names, and use "Name of Movie (year)" should be good enough for naming movies and TV Shows.
post #1391 of 2280
gracias, men,

James
post #1392 of 2280
I kinda like the normal jukebox in the A-400...looks good also when controlling in my ipad everything...if u guys want i can post some pics of it.
post #1393 of 2280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rui Pedro View Post

I kinda like the normal jukebox in the A-400...looks good also when controlling in my ipad everything...if u guys want i can post some pics of it.

Have you install the latest forum release with the new graphics ? They look very good :-)

Couples of shots :





post #1394 of 2280
Yes it looks similar to how it looks on the tablet app. Plus access is much faster than it used to be on the A400.

I finally don't mind accessing the DB from the A400 when my tablets batteries have died.
post #1395 of 2280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rui Pedro View Post

I kinda like the normal jukebox in the A-400...looks good also when controlling in my ipad everything...if u guys want i can post some pics of it.

I would appreciate this...never mind, thanks aaron- looks very straightforward, kinda my style. I am to receive mine tomorrow if usps tracking is to be believed. Then you poor people will feel the wrath of a drooling media player neanderthal. smile.gif

James
post #1396 of 2280
There is also a Video showing the new jukebox graphics

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PrmdhqcTG2k&feature=player_embedded
post #1397 of 2280
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

Yes it looks similar to how it looks on the tablet app. Plus access is much faster than it used to be on the A400.

I finally don't mind accessing the DB from the A400 when my tablets batteries have died.

It's really fast if you put an SSD in your a400 and mark your shares read only so the db is local.
post #1398 of 2280
I am trying to download the nmjtoolbox2 but I can't do anything with it after extracting. The same goes for the other files the Dom says to extract into the nmjtoolbox2.exe folder. I never see that folder. What am I doing wrong?

Also, when I rip a movie, do I need to pull out the internal hard drive every time to put the movie on it or is there a better way such as sending the file to the internal hard drive over my network?

I think that I am really over my head right now but am trying to learn this. I spent all last night searching and still have a few questions. Thanks
post #1399 of 2280
I will try to answer ina bit. You will get faster responses on the nmt forum for sure though.
post #1400 of 2280
Ok, I've been running about 18 hours, comments and a few questions...

Got the NMT running and after an hour of tweaking, I'm in pretty good shape. Like the WDTV Live it has retained all the cover art/ info any reasonable person could expect.

Now, the bad news. WAY too many hang ups during movies for a device that's, well, designed to play back movies.

Ferris Buellers. Finally stopped after 30 or so "wait circles". Started the file again and it played back fine. Saw the same with the Wembley Foo Fighter concert and Jack Reacher, terribly annoying. What can I do? I'm connected directly via USB and I appear to have the latest firmware. I never expected issues playing back 2D mkv files... I know this company has made MP's that do not suffer from this.

And- in a similar vein to my friend above- can I not x-fer files to the HDD when connected to the laptop via ethernet? Is there a setting within the 400 that makes it available? I currently only see the PCH and when I click on it it states: "windows cannot access- check the spelling of the name. Otherwise, there might be a problem with your network."

Having to connect via USB for all the new movies would be a real pain...but that would still pale in comparison to these playback issues.

It's like having a lawnmower that doesn't cut grass.


Thanks!

James
post #1401 of 2280
Currently my two A400s are working very well for playback over the network. There is an advanced network app to use that improves the network playback. Playing from an attached USB drive should work well too. I watched a third of JAck Reacher from over the network and it played back fine over Samba for me. I used to use some USB drives to play back my 3D BD ISOs but with the recent firmware updates I have been able to play most of them over the network reliably now. I am currently on az firmware from early May. I did not install the most recent RC1 release since it looked like all it changed was some screen saver issue. Since I don't use the screen saver I did not install that one.

I have no idea what you network access issue is. I think I had some problems last year accessing mine over the network, but that was when the box had just come out. I can currently access both of my A400's from my Windows 8 machines. It's how I delete the database and copy the new one to them every time I update NMJ using NMJtoolbox 2 on the PC.
post #1402 of 2280
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

Currently my two A400s are working very well for playback over the network. There is an advanced network app to use that improves the network playback. Playing from an attached USB drive should work well too. I watched a third of JAck Reacher from over the network and it played back fine over Samba for me. I used to use some USB drives to play back my 3D BD ISOs but with the recent firmware updates I have been able to play most of them over the network reliably now. I am currently on az firmware from early May. I did not install the most recent RC1 release since it looked like all it changed was some screen saver issue. Since I don't use the screen saver I did not install that one.

I have no idea what you network access issue is. I think I had some problems last year accessing mine over the network, but that was when the box had just come out. I can currently access both of my A400's from my Windows 8 machines. It's how I delete the database and copy the new one to them every time I update NMJ using NMJtoolbox 2 on the PC.

Thanks for the feedback. Yeah when you're not armed with a lot of experience and know how you can get into deep waters pretty quick with some of this stuff.

I of course have no clue why my HDD doesn't show up...I simply expected it to pop up "connected" to my PCH as it did with my WDTV Live. But of course that would be too easy now, lmao.

It's good to hear you're getting solid playback...as I said to another member, I find it a bit hard to believe this device- or any decent streamer for that matter- should be having problems playing back a simple 2D mkv off a drive. I've checked my f-ware and it seems current. My HDD is a brand new Seagate 4TB back up plus with a new USB cable so I don't know where to go beyond the 400, cable and HDD.

?

James
post #1403 of 2280
If you are trying to connect to the HD via USB you will not see the drive because PCH formats the drive with a Linux format. You have to download a program onto your PC that will allow you to see the drive and make changes. If you are doing it over your network, I have no clue why it is not showing up.
post #1404 of 2280
Thanks...I have it connected to the PCH via USB...it doesn't have an ethernet port like my seagate central so I'm clueless as to how else I'd get it to show up over my network other than the 400 making it visible.

It is nice to hook up my laptop to the HDD and write right to the HDD though. smile.gif

James
post #1405 of 2280
ok so I misunderstood you. I guess what I explained you already knew and I did'nt realize you were using and external HDD. Sorry
post #1406 of 2280
Yeah it's ok, lol. I was trying to figure out if you thought I was connecting to the 400 via USB and expecting to see the HDD.

James
post #1407 of 2280
Are you using or going to use the NMJToolbox2 program?
post #1408 of 2280
Well seeing the built-in has found everything so far, I'm not sure. What are the advantages if I may ask?

Thanks!

James
post #1409 of 2280
Combining multiple sources to be in one jukebox and different UI.
post #1410 of 2280
Has anybody had and issues with DirecTv and PCH? Do they interfere with each other or can you play shows off your dvr onto your PCH.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming › POPCORN HOUR A-400 is coming soon