or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming › POPCORN HOUR A-400 is coming soon
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

POPCORN HOUR A-400 is coming soon - Page 7

post #181 of 2280
^^correct. No netflix but with so many BD, TVs, PS3, XBOX, etc already having it it should not be an issue for most. No issue for me since I dropped that part when they bumped up the subscription cost: I will take physical media over streaming any day.
post #182 of 2280
Quote:
Originally Posted by breadvan View Post

I rip to full disc ISO only, and this is what I do:
1. I got DVDFab Passkey, and the free and awesome Imageburn
2. DVDFab is a very simple decryption utility, all you need to do is to set some very minor preferences, and start the program whenever you want to rip anything
3. Insert the BD/DVD you want to rip
4. DVDFab will attempt to find the encryption on the disc and decrypt it, once decrypted,
5. Run Imageburn, select the optic drive you want to rip the disc from, and the destination and name of your ISO file
6. Click 'Image File from Disc'
That's it !

I rip to full disc ISO with Lifetime AnyDVD HD. and this is what I do:

1. Rip

That's it !
post #183 of 2280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wryker View Post

^^correct. No netflix but with so many BD, TVs, PS3, XBOX, etc already having it it should not be an issue for most. No issue for me since I dropped that part when they bumped up the subscription cost: I will take physical media over streaming any day.

Correct and I dont see it coming either, as they have stated NetFlix wants them to be "closed" and more secure, which Sybase wasnt willing to do. Ive given up on a one device fits all fits all solution as Boxee was the closest, but failed at certain local media things...
post #184 of 2280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary J View Post

I rip to full disc ISO with Lifetime AnyDVD HD. and this is what I do:
1. Rip
That's it !
I use anydvd and imgburn for full disc iso rips. one click rip to image, done. I can then later go back and "trim the fat" if I feel like it...
post #185 of 2280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post

. . . NetFlix wants them to be "closed" and more secure, which Sybase wasnt willing to do. . .
Just a little fine-tuning: . . . NetFlix's content-providers wants them to be "closed" and more secure, which Sybase wasn't able to do.

In order to satisfy the security requirements, you need to start with an platform approved by NetFlix. The Sigma SoCs used in prior PCH players never received NetFlix's approval. As far as I know, the 891x family does not yet have NetFlix certification, but I'm sure it is on Sigma's 'to-do' list. I would not hold my breath, though.
post #186 of 2280
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkHotchkiss View Post

Just a little fine-tuning: . . . NetFlix's content-providers wants them to be "closed" and more secure, which Sybase wasn't able to do.
In order to satisfy the security requirements, you need to start with an platform approved by NetFlix. The Sigma SoCs used in prior PCH players never received NetFlix's approval. As far as I know, the 891x family does not yet have NetFlix certification, but I'm sure it is on Sigma's 'to-do' list. I would not hold my breath, though.

Not sure where the fault is held I know the popbox-3d actually had a netflix app, if you hacked the 3d you could find it hiding in a folder on the nand so PCH completed a netflix app in flash. But somewhere along the lines either netflix turned down PCH or turned down sigma for the final ok. Even had the approved SSL keys from my investigation if I could get the app working or not.
Edited by halfelite - 10/23/12 at 2:35pm
post #187 of 2280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary J View Post

I rip to full disc ISO with Lifetime AnyDVD HD. and this is what I do:
1. Rip
That's it !

I could do it too with Passkey with a right click function, I just gotten used to my silly old routine.

I should have mentioned this, thanks for alerting me.

post #188 of 2280
Quote:
Originally Posted by breadvan View Post

I could do it too with Passkey with a right click function, I just gotten used to my silly old routine.
I should have mentioned this, thanks for alerting me.

You can do the same thing with Any DVD HD. But I typically just use Image Burn with Any DVD HD running in the background.
post #189 of 2280
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

You can do the same thing with Any DVD HD. But I typically just use Image Burn with Any DVD HD running in the background.

That's what I do with Passkey too but I usually do not start it along with Windows and run it in the background, so the extra step of starting Passkey manually.
post #190 of 2280
has anyone received their pre-order units yet?
post #191 of 2280
I think its still too early, the devices were not expected to ship until next week. From a look on the PCH forum it seems that EU resellers are stating tehre is goign to be around a 2-3 week delay for the devices.........As soon as someone does get one, beleive me if they are a part of this forum theyd post here wink.gif
post #192 of 2280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post

I think its still too early, the devices were not expected to ship until next week. From a look on the PCH forum it seems that EU resellers are stating tehre is goign to be around a 2-3 week delay for the devices.........As soon as someone does get one, beleive me if they are a part of this forum theyd post here wink.gif

We will have to see what popcoorn.fr does they still have there batch sitting going out the 7th.
post #193 of 2280
Quote:
Originally Posted by essg88 View Post

has anyone received their pre-order units yet?

Someone on the NMT forums said that their pre-order shipped today. I haven't received an email for mine yet and online it doesn't show anything on my account yet. Hopefully that will change over the next few hours. It will certainly be nice if I receive my A-400 this week.
post #194 of 2280
The French pch reseller confirmed that the shipment left china last Friday. If everything is going ok with customs, a400 should be shipped to consumers by the end of this week.
post #195 of 2280
Werner also confirmed there is a delay of 1-2 weeks while they get firmware finished.
post #196 of 2280
Yes I see Diamond Design posted on the NMT forums that their ETA to ship the A-400 is now 11/15. I guess that is for the people who paid the $8 for them to get their batch air shipped from China?

As long as I can get it before Thanksgiving I will be happy, since I'll have a few days to play around with it.
post #197 of 2280
Will this unit do full BD-ISO menus? Not just BD-Lite navigation. I would like to try a PCH player but I don't want another dumbed down unit that won't play all my content. I currently have a Dune Base 3.0 that does pretty much everything I want. I also have a Mede8er 500 that is great for simple navigation on a second setup but because of the way it reads certain BD-ISO files, it sometimes plays the wrong file such as a narrated version or directors commentary version. I guess this is normal for BD-Lite navigation as I think it just plays the largest file? I have a few movies that are rendered useless due to this unless I'm playing them on the Dune.
post #198 of 2280
Quote:
Originally Posted by dropzone7 View Post

Will this unit do full BD-ISO menus? Not just BD-Lite navigation. I would like to try a PCH player but I don't want another dumbed down unit that won't play all my content. I currently have a Dune Base 3.0 that does pretty much everything I want. I also have a Mede8er 500 that is great for simple navigation on a second setup but because of the way it reads certain BD-ISO files, it sometimes plays the wrong file such as a narrated version or directors commentary version. I guess this is normal for BD-Lite navigation as I think it just plays the largest file? I have a few movies that are rendered useless due to this unless I'm playing them on the Dune.

No full bd menu support
post #199 of 2280
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 View Post

No full bd menu support

Thanks Damian. So it sounds like I need to buy a few old C200's and or Dune's if I want to utilize my full BD-ISO's. I just started using MKV for my new rips which is much simpler anyway.
post #200 of 2280
Quote:
Originally Posted by dropzone7 View Post

Thanks Damian. So it sounds like I need to buy a few old C200's and or Dune's if I want to utilize my full BD-ISO's. I just started using MKV for my new rips which is much simpler anyway.

Yup, full BD support will be gone with all new players
post #201 of 2280
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 View Post

Yup, full BD support will be gone with all new players

Wow, kind of takes away the incentive to buy anything new. It does help me make up my mind about all formats going forward though. No reason to do anything but MKV. Too bad I just renewed my DVDFab license. I guess I will still use that for my wife's TV show DVD's which are all old stuff anyway. She likes having the menus for episodes.
post #202 of 2280
Quote:
Originally Posted by dropzone7 View Post

Wow, kind of takes away the incentive to buy anything new. It does help me make up my mind about all formats going forward though. No reason to do anything but MKV. Too bad I just renewed my DVDFab license. I guess I will still use that for my wife's TV show DVD's which are all old stuff anyway. She likes having the menus for episodes.

THis is becasue of Cinavia, if you want full Blu-ray movies you need the license to go with it, which will automatically include Cinavia. If you include Cinavia you are basically killing any chance of using ANY file except for the fulll untouched ISO (and even that may be iffy)......So most current players will only do BD-lite so that people can use the file types they want. The only reason cartain players continue to have it, is due ot them being grandfathered in, thus not being required to include Cinavia.......
post #203 of 2280
Quote:
Originally Posted by dropzone7 View Post

Thanks Damian. So it sounds like I need to buy a few old C200's and or Dune's if I want to utilize my full BD-ISO's. I just started using MKV for my new rips which is much simpler anyway.

I like the C200 option. Not sure how MKV is simpler than rip->ISO = done.
post #204 of 2280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary J View Post

I like the C200 option. Not sure how MKV is simpler than rip->ISO = done.

Maybe it's the way I'm doing it that makes ISO a longer process. I use DVDFab and then create the ISO with Imgburn. It's an automated process but does take a while. I use MakeMKV to rip movie only and it's much faster but then again it's less data being ripped.

My point is that if I can't realize the full potential of an ISO rip anymore then why use the format.
post #205 of 2280
I rip 99% of my movies in .mkv. There are a few scenarios where I need .iso support:

- 3D blu ray's (although if the A-400 will play 3D MKV, I'd immediately switch to MKV!!)

- Concert discs: It's nice to be able to choose a song.

- TV shows: Most of the time I rip each individual episode to .mkv, but sometime's that's just way too much work.

- Special features: Some discs have really cool special features, like the re-release of jaws.

- Multi-version movies: Best example: Apocalypse Now. You have the choice of playing the original or Redux. The whole .iso is about 50GB and if I wanted to use mkv, I'd have to rip it twice: Once for the original (35GB) and once for the redux (45GB). The .iso just uses a "playlist" to select scenes for each.

- Audio track incompatibilities: I've found some MKV's won't play at all in my current player (Oppo BDP-93), but if I make them basic movie-only .iso's they play fine. Certain types of audio tracks seem to be the cause. I'm not sure if the A-400 will have this issue.

- I've also found that some subtitles won't work in .mkv files on some players.

All that being said, basic iso playback with lite menu support should cover all of that, right?
post #206 of 2280
Quote:
Originally Posted by robneal81 View Post

I rip 99% of my movies in .mkv. There are a few scenarios where I need .iso support:
- 3D blu ray's (although if the A-400 will play 3D MKV, I'd immediately switch to MKV!!)
- Concert discs: It's nice to be able to choose a song.
- TV shows: Most of the time I rip each individual episode to .mkv, but sometime's that's just way too much work.
- Special features: Some discs have really cool special features, like the re-release of jaws.
- Multi-version movies: Best example: Apocalypse Now. You have the choice of playing the original or Redux. The whole .iso is about 50GB and if I wanted to use mkv, I'd have to rip it twice: Once for the original (35GB) and once for the redux (45GB). The .iso just uses a "playlist" to select scenes for each.
- Audio track incompatibilities: I've found some MKV's won't play at all in my current player (Oppo BDP-93), but if I make them basic movie-only .iso's they play fine. Certain types of audio tracks seem to be the cause. I'm not sure if the A-400 will have this issue.
- I've also found that some subtitles won't work in .mkv files on some players.
All that being said, basic iso playback with lite menu support should cover all of that, right?

Yes, just keep in mind that bd lite will give you basic support. You can choose titles but it won't be clear exactly what title you are choosing. For example, with a TV Show disc you will see a title for each episode but no way of knowing what episode is each titles without playing first
post #207 of 2280
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 View Post

Yes, just keep in mind that bd lite will give you basic support. You can choose titles but it won't be clear exactly what title you are choosing. For example, with a TV Show disc you will see a title for each episode but no way of knowing what episode is each titles without playing first

Also, as in my situation, a few of my full BD-ISO rips include directors commentary versions of the film like those Maximum movie versions which may be larger than the actual movie. In these cases, BD-Lite is going to play the largest file which might not necessarily be the theatrical version of the film. One example just last night was X-Men First Class.
post #208 of 2280
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 View Post

Yes, just keep in mind that bd lite will give you basic support. You can choose titles but it won't be clear exactly what title you are choosing. For example, with a TV Show disc you will see a title for each episode but no way of knowing what episode is each titles without playing first

Are you sure? I have a Netgear TV-550 that supposedly only supports bd lite and it's worked with every .iso menu I've tried. The menu won't pop up during the movie (I don't care about that anyway), but the main menu and it's subfolders work.
post #209 of 2280
Quote:
Originally Posted by robneal81 View Post

Are you sure? I have a Netgear TV-550 that supposedly only supports bd lite and it's worked with every .iso menu I've tried. The menu won't pop up during the movie (I don't care about that anyway), but the main menu and it's subfolders work.

I belive that player has always done full BD menus with certain BD profiles supported.
post #210 of 2280
Quote:
Originally Posted by dropzone7 View Post

Also, as in my situation, a few of my full BD-ISO rips include directors commentary versions of the film like those Maximum movie versions which may be larger than the actual movie. In these cases, BD-Lite is going to play the largest file which might not necessarily be the theatrical version of the film. One example just last night was X-Men First Class.

Correct. And to add pain to it, BD Lite is buggy with seamless branch movies as it makes the transition from 1 m2ts to the next. You don't have to deal with this if you make a main movie mkv or CLown_BD created movie
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming › POPCORN HOUR A-400 is coming soon