or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › Yamaha rx-a720 "official" owner's thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Yamaha rx-a720 "official" owner's thread - Page 5

post #121 of 302
So I was playing with the manual set up of my speakers tonight.

I used the YPAO to initial set everything up then I went into the manual settings.

I changed my fronts and center from large to small, my distances were fine.

My levels showed:

sub 0.0db
left +0.5db
center -1.0db
right +0.5db
rs +5.5db
ls +6.5db

now when i go into the parametric eq settings an pick manual. I set the frequency of the L,C,R,RS,LS all to 78.7hz

My question is what is Q?

My other question is what should the gain be set at? I noticed it is different on all speakers.

I did import the YPAO flat eq and used that as the baseline to adjust from, I didnt change the gain setting.
post #122 of 302
Hi,

I am having the same issues with updating firmware: Can't do it directly using the IP address to the receiver through a browswer, can't do it through the YWA-10 and can't do it through the front USB port. Each time I receive a message stating that it's VERIFYING followed by DEVICE ERROR.

Can someone tell me exactly how to update using the front USB port?

Thanks!
post #123 of 302
Use a empty USB stick and just put the .bin file in the root with no directories. when I did it it was "R0305-114.bin": I have an RX-V473 receiver. My network connecton gave me device error,
USB work great, it takes a very long time so be patient.
post #124 of 302
Thanks but can you give me the steps? Do you have to actually unplug the receiver? I have a blank USB drive formatted FAT32 with only the BIN file. What do I do from that point?

Thanks!
post #125 of 302
I just picked one of these up.. Replacing an older Pioneer VSX-D511 .. For some reason, it just doesn't sound as "chunky" on the bass as the pioneer did.. And by chunky I mean good snappy and accurate bass.. I am using an SVS PB1000 Sub.. I had to turn it up to compensate.. I wonder if this is due to the loudness feature not being present on the Yamaha,.. I always used it on the Pioneer...

Also, The Yamaha reads -20db to obtain the same listening level as I got on the pioneer at around -40 give or take..

Anyone have any thoughts on this?
post #126 of 302
First thing I would ask is if you have moved the sub to a different part of the room or moved it to close to a wall or corner? Also check the ohm's on the sub and be sure it matches with the output of the receiver. The 720's default is 8 ohm's (If I remember correct)
post #127 of 302
no not moved at all.. Nothing moved except old amp out and new amp in.. I've heard no mention of ohms in relation to subs.. And its not listed on their tech specs.. The old Pioneer was 8 ohms so I cant see this as being a factor.
post #128 of 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eron View Post

I just picked one of these up.. Replacing an older Pioneer VSX-D511 .. For some reason, it just doesn't sound as "chunky" on the bass as the pioneer did.. And by chunky I mean good snappy and accurate bass.. I am using an SVS PB1000 Sub.. I had to turn it up to compensate.. I wonder if this is due to the loudness feature not being present on the Yamaha,.. I always used it on the Pioneer...

Also, The Yamaha reads -20db to obtain the same listening level as I got on the pioneer at around -40 give or take..

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Ypao is setting the subs down to low.You can go in and manually adjust the level up under speaker setup. -20 is normal listening level on these receivers.
post #129 of 302
Thanks for the assurance..

I haven't actually used Ypao to setup.. I tried it once and it basically set my distances and volumes how I have them anyhow.. Does it make fine adjustments to the deeper settings of the parametric EQs?

I assume this is recommended to get a reference setting then tweak from there?


Anyhow, I am enjoying more that I know -20 is normalish.. It does sound damn good in Neo 6 Music.. wink.gif
post #130 of 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eron View Post

Thanks for the assurance..

I haven't actually used Ypao to setup.. I tried it once and it basically set my distances and volumes how I have them anyhow.. Does it make fine adjustments to the deeper settings of the parametric EQs?

I assume this is recommended to get a reference setting then tweak from there?


Anyhow, I am enjoying more that I know -20 is normalish.. It does sound damn good in Neo 6 Music.. wink.gif

It will equalize each individual speaker.I think most users are using YPAO then tweaking afterwards as you suggested.
post #131 of 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnjeepin View Post

So I was playing with the manual set up of my speakers tonight.

I used the YPAO to initial set everything up then I went into the manual settings.

I changed my fronts and center from large to small, my distances were fine.

My levels showed:

sub 0.0db
left +0.5db
center -1.0db
right +0.5db
rs +5.5db
ls +6.5db

now when i go into the parametric eq settings an pick manual. I set the frequency of the L,C,R,RS,LS all to 78.7hz

My question is what is Q?

My other question is what should the gain be set at? I noticed it is different on all speakers.

I did import the YPAO flat eq and used that as the baseline to adjust from, I didnt change the gain setting.

The EQ has 3 parameter Frequency, Gain, and Q. Everybody seems to understand frequency and +/- gain. When you pick a frequency the gain is centered at that frequency. Frequencies around that chosen frequency also get affected. Think of a bell curve. How many frequencies adjacent to the center frequency get affected is the Q or how wide the curve is. The higher the Q the narrower the curve and the lower the Q the wider the curve. A Q of ~4.3 is about of 1/3 octave or compare it to a graphic equalizer with 30 sliders(bands). A Q of 1.4 is ~ 1 octave or a graphic equalizer with 10 bands. All of these parameters should be set individually for each speaker. Like not all speakers may have a problem at 200hz, you only correct the ones that do. You can use the parametric EQ as expanded tone controls to adjust the bass, miss and treble to your liking.
post #132 of 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by dankenton View Post

Thanks but can you give me the steps? Do you have to actually unplug the receiver? I have a blank USB drive formatted FAT32 with only the BIN file. What do I do from that point?

Thanks!

Follow instructions in your manual, this is what mine looks like for RX-V473

post #133 of 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by MitsMarty View Post

Follow instructions in your manual, this is what mine looks like for RX-V473



Sorry this is network part, look for your USB upgrade and just follow steps and be patient it takes 15-30 minutes using usb
post #134 of 302
Well.. Here's my setup.

Yamaha RX-A720
Fronts : Energy RC-70s
Rear's : Energy CB-10s
Center : Energy CC-10
Sub : SVS PB1000

I'm still tweaking.. I'm kind of wondering what speaker size setting people are using with this amp for large towers like the rc-70s.
post #135 of 302
Very pleased with my 720 so far. Replaced an aging Sony unit which stopped producing sound in the FR and FL channels after my recent move.

Current setup:

Yamaha RX-A720
Panasonic Viera 50" LCD
Xbox 360 - doubles as DVD player
Panasonic Blu-ray player that came with the TV and small HTiB speakers I"ve never used. Model # escapes me and is inconvenient to look at right now..
DirecTV Satellite Genie DVR

Speakers are currently Polk RM6750 HTiB set. YPAO did a solid job of auto-setup on the speaker placement and levels, I'm as pleased as I'm going to get with the sound these speakers make. Now exploring the wonderful and expensive world of speaker upgrades. Looking to replace the fronts and center with Polk RTi4 or RTi6 and CSi3 or CSi5 over the next few months, and then wall-mount the four RM6751 Satellites to expand from 5.1 to 7.1 setup.

I did have a problem similar to the one described on the R673 thread involving loss of sound from the Blu-ray input. Worked fine the day I put everything together, but then the TV auto-shutoff due to inactivity while the Blu-ray input was selected, and since then I have not gotten sound, just video. I fiddled with all the ARC settings on the AVR, TV, and Blu-ray player as per other posts on this topic, but no help. Ultimately I solved the problem by switching inputs in the back of the unit - DirecTV now lives in HDMI 1, and Blu-ray is HDMI 2. After making the switch, Blu-ray plays with no problem.
post #136 of 302
Thinking about replacing my Onkyo 805 with this Yamaha receiver. Is this as good as the Onkyo?
The Onkyo started giving me an EEPROM error and every now and then it forgets all my settings, very annoying.
post #137 of 302
Seeing there isn't a thread for the RX-A820 I thought I would chime in here with my question. I am running a 7.1 set-up and for some reason the auto function for the extended surround is not working as anything that is 5.1 is being coverted to 7.1. There isn't any issue if I go in and manually turn off the extended surround as this method works but I would sure like the auto feature to work. I should also point out that any thing under 5.1 the extended surround auto works as expected. This is the case for all devices I have connected to the receiver. Again not a big issue as there is a simple work around. I should also mention that this is happening in Sraight mode as well.
post #138 of 302
What are you expecting the Auto setting to do? The problem with Auto is you get different behaviour with different discs, so most people who want to use all their speakers set Extended Surround to PLIIx Movie. You'll get better positioning of sounds with 4 surrounds than 2, so I would recommend using PLIIx all the time.
post #139 of 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by kriktsemaj99 View Post

What are you expecting the Auto setting to do? The problem with Auto is you get different behaviour with different discs, so most people who want to use all their speakers set Extended Surround to PLIIx Movie. You'll get better positioning of sounds with 4 surrounds than 2, so I would recommend using PLIIx all the time.

Mainly I'm looking for things to be played back in their native mix. After reading on in the manual it appears that Auto does mix 5.1 material into 7.1 so in all likely hood if I'm looking for playback of 5.1 using only those speakers I'll need to set the extended to off. Really the only native 5.1 mixes I want played back this way are the SACD's I have which can be accomodated by using the Pure Direct mode as well as turning off the extended.
post #140 of 302
Another question I have is in regards to the YPAO. With my old Yammy when you performed the YPAO you first were required to select the equalization type (Flat, Natural or Front) then perform the optimization and to my understanding the result would be equal to that of the "equalization type". Say you performed the YPAO using the Natural settings and for whatever reason you wanted to try FLAT you would need to run the YPAO again in order to have the corrections made for that selection. I guess my question is with these newer models does the YPAO now account for all 3 Equalization choices at set up or do I need to go in and perform it all over again should I select another one?
post #141 of 302
The new models calculate and store the settings for all YPAO modes at the same time, then you can switch between them without having to re-run YPAO.
post #142 of 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by kriktsemaj99 View Post

The new models calculate and store the settings for all YPAO modes at the same time, then you can switch between them without having to re-run YPAO.

Awesome
post #143 of 302
I just purchased the RX-A720 and I have two issues.

1. When I go into "server mode" it detects my laptop computer but not my desktop, which is the one I want it to pull from. I have them both in the same homegroup so I do not understand why this would be happening. Both units are turned on and not in standby mode.

2. Does this unit support HEC for HDMI 1.4? My thought was to run my one ethernet cable I have in the area to the 720, then branch out to my other components via the HDMI cables that all support ethernet. None of my components are connecting to the internet, only the receiver is working.
post #144 of 302
Unfortunately, there are very few product that support the ethernet over HDMI feature. It would be great if you didn't have to add a switch and ethernet cables to connect all your components but at this time that is the only way except wireless of course. But, I prefer wires when possible.
post #145 of 302
Just finished installing mine. I had an Onkyo ht-r-360 crap out on me 2 weeks ago - the 'ol bad HDMI board w/ no video issue!

Check it out. I have an old xbox360 w/ the component connection. With my Onk I was able to connect the xbox360 w/ the component/Toslink connection to the Onk. Then I just had the Onk plugged into my TV via the one hdmi connect. No need to connect more component cables to my TV etc. I never even thought for a moment my new and beefy Yam would NOT be able to do the same thing the 2 year old Onk did.

The new Yam has everything I need and more. Except the ability to do what I was doing with the Onk. Unless I'm missing something.

I'd like to run component/Toslink to AV1 port on the Yam. Then just have the HDMI connected to the TV via the Yam. I;d like to get both audio and video. Right now just audio.
post #146 of 302
You're out of luck with the 720 (except for 480i, which is not a lot of use). This is the first year they dropped component to HDMI conversion at this price point, as last year's 710 could do it. It seems like a bad move to me. The 1020 and higher can do what you want.
post #147 of 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by kriktsemaj99 View Post

You're out of luck with the 720 (except for 480i, which is not a lot of use). This is the first year they dropped component to HDMI conversion at this price point, as last year's 710 could do it. It seems like a bad move to me. The 1020 and higher can do what you want.

Thanks for the info kriktsemaj99.

At least I know it wasn't me just not seeing the config. Hard to believe that my crappy Onk @ about $350 had that ability. Not going that route again. I paid 6 hundy for this thing. Dang. I guess I'm the numbskull thinking it was a basic feature.

For future reference isn't this called "Component Video Conversion" right?
post #148 of 302
It's hard to figure out what it can do from the list of features on the website. But all recent Yamaha manuals have a nice Video Conversion Table (page 125 in the 673 manual) that makes it clear what can and cannot be converted or upscaled.
post #149 of 302
Hi guys


I've been shopping for a new receiver (as id like 3d)

I was recommended to start looking at the RX-573 by a helpful member on here and my searching has led me to the RX-A720

I know there are differences in the build and the inputs/outputs etc but my question is

Would i notice a difference in Sound Quality between these units? or would I have to go up to something like the RX-A1020/2020 before I really notice any changes in that regard?
because im wondering if the price difference is just because of the added features (inputs, build, warranty)

Im using mirage omni 550 speakers if that helps


Thanks very much
post #150 of 302
Does any one know if there is a way to adjust the receiver settings( or rhapsody/sirius account info ) with out having it hooked to an hdmi output?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Receivers, Amps, and Processors
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › Yamaha rx-a720 "official" owner's thread