or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › Official OPPO BDP-103/BDP-105 Anticipation Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official OPPO BDP-103/BDP-105 Anticipation Thread - Page 44

post #1291 of 2827
Thanks -I guess I'll just wait until they iron out the details on it. Since my HP can access smb no problem and my other laptops (mac and windows) can access my smb shares no problem I'm going to guess there are some kinks to work out. I'm willing to bet if oppo includes and option to add ip and or share, it will work flawlessly but they are probably trying to make it easier to configure. I sent oppo a support request yesterday but I'm going to guess as it is experimental they won't have too many suggestions yet until they finalize it.

I do appreciate your efforts. It isn't an emergency but as an IT person I like to experiment with new things.
post #1292 of 2827
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajglass View Post

Why drop the e-Sata port? As the owner both a 93 and 95, that's a deal breaker for me.

I believe the chip set used for the new players (which adds all the other new features) doesn't have it.

There was no real advantage to eSATA on the player side. Maybe it was better for populating the device on the PC side.

-Bill
post #1293 of 2827
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

I believe the chip set used for the new players (which adds all the other new features) doesn't have it.
There was no real advantage to eSATA on the player side. Maybe it was better for populating the device on the PC side.
-Bill

I see. So could I remove the fully populated 1TB drive that's now attached to my BDP-95 and re-install it as an exterior drive on my PC with running into file format problems?

- Andy
post #1294 of 2827
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajglass View Post


I see. So could I remove the fully populated 1TB drive that's now attached to my BDP-95 and re-install it as an exterior drive on my PC with running into file format problems?

- Andy

Sure. How was it formatted and populated in the first place? The player doesn't change the format or anything on the drive.

-Bill
post #1295 of 2827
Quote:
Originally Posted by boe View Post

Thanks -I guess I'll just wait until they iron out the details on it. Since my HP can access smb no problem and my other laptops (mac and windows) can access my smb shares no problem I'm going to guess there are some kinks to work out. I'm willing to bet if oppo includes and option to add ip and or share, it will work flawlessly but they are probably trying to make it easier to configure. I sent oppo a support request yesterday but I'm going to guess as it is experimental they won't have too many suggestions yet until they finalize it.
I do appreciate your efforts. It isn't an emergency but as an IT person I like to experiment with new things.
I forgot to mention that when I first got the Dune HD as a tool to help me diagnose if the issue of SMB shares not working at all on the Oppo was an issue on the Oppo end or not, I was able to use the feature on the Dune that allows you to type in a share name (\\pcname\sharename or \\ipaddress\sharename) with success, but wasn't able to use the Dune's browser to find the shares. And as I said in my earlier post, I've never had any issues accessing shares between my PC's. So the fact that your HP can access the share by typing in the \\ipaddress\sharename path unfortunately doesn't rule much out, though it obviously confirms that network access works and the share works at some level. The ability to type in a share path has been suggested, but I'm not sure if it will be added or not.
post #1296 of 2827
That's actually a good suggestion, if Oppo doesn't want to include IP\share as an option, they could release a diagnostic tool so you could track down the issue. Granted, it would probably have to be run on another computer for it to be valid but it would probably state why you couldn't log in.
Edited by boe - 10/1/12 at 8:20am
post #1297 of 2827
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

Aye, there's the rub.
-Bill

Bill, are you one of those people that always has to get the last word in on any topic?

I only ask because this reply and the one previous to it were almost completely content free and served no purpose (unlike your many other posts) except to show that you had something more to say. And if you want to play that game, just let me know, ok?
post #1298 of 2827
Quote:
Originally Posted by rakosnicek View Post

Bill, are you one of those people that always has to get the last word in on any topic?
I only ask because this reply and the one previous to it were almost completely content free and served no purpose (unlike your many other posts) except to show that you had something more to say. And if you want to play that game, just let me know, ok?
His point was that if you would like to go to the effort of compiling the list of info, he'll be happy to add it to his FAQ. It isn't reasonable to expect HIM to research everything.
post #1299 of 2827
Quote:
Originally Posted by boe View Post


On the oppo it shows my workgroup under network sources including my oshare and windows media server sources.
I select workgroup and it has me select photo, music or video.
I select video and it prompts me for a username, password and if I want to save the password.

This tells you that the Oppo is seeing your shares as it should. The issue is in the authentication on the shared PC. If there are multiple PCs sharing, that might relate to the issue you are seeing.
Quote:
FYI, I do notice the oppo sometimes lists my PC by name under sources, sometimes it only shows the workgroup name. I'm not changing anything on the PC when it flip flops between the two.

This is normal at present. Be aware that BOTH "workgroup" and the PC by name will store separate passwords in the player even if they are the same. Whether the share is called workgroup or PC name is pretty random, and either will work.
post #1300 of 2827
Since buyers are receiving the new BDP-103 now, can anybody report as to the improvement, if any, in the picture from a Directv satellite relative to the 103's ability to accept a 720p/1080i feed from a Directv DVR and scale it to 1080p for their display?

Thx for the information.
post #1301 of 2827
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

If you can hear a difference in DSD -> LPCM conversion in the player vs. it happening in the receiver -- where the same audio processing is happening to that resulting LPCM in both cases (same post processing, same volume level, etc.) -- I'd say that you've found a bug in one or the other. I.e., it can happen, but it's not the EXPECTED outcome. The bug could either be in the way one of them does that conversion, or it could be in the way the receiver treats HDMI LPCM input (which would impact other content played via LPCM as well).
One of the Beta Testers has a receiver with that 2nd problem. It just doesn't do well with HDMI LPCM input, regardless of the originating content. Bitstream and Analog input work fine. Some gear just has strange behavior. But that's not an indictment of LPCM input in general.
This is the same debate as to whether there's a reason to prefer Bitstream decoding in the player vs. in the receiver. I.e., it's not SUPPOSED to matter -- the results sound identical or the difference is due to a bug rather than some sort of "better" way of doing the decode.
--Bob

I think we all know that DSD->LPCM conversion is part art not all science, particularly with respect to what filters are deployed. Check out a little upgrade for the Oppo called the Vanity93 by Audiopraise and, as I've posted before, the debate on the Whatsbestforum and Linn forums between the DSD->LPCM conversion done by Weiss Saracon versus Korg Audiogate.

http://audiopraise.com/vanity93/overview.php
post #1302 of 2827
Long time lurker reading about the BDP-93 who missed the bus on that unit, looks like maybe a 103 is in the cards for Christmas.

I've been reading the posts about the SMB connection issue(s) and thinking perhaps I may be able to contribute here.

I have read some suppositions about what may (or may not) be happening, but I haven't seen any objective data.

If I had a 103 here is the approach I would take to figure out what is going on. A complete step by step description of what I am suggesting is beyond the scope of this post.

First of all, I would start with my 103 off, and have another desktop or laptop available as a client to connect to the server machine. I would start with the client machine off as well. I want to gather information about what a successful connection to my server looks like before trying to analyze failure.

Then, in the spirit of Spinal Tap, I would crank my security logging on my Windows server up to 11. :-)

As with all things Windows, there will be various ways to get there, and various places to do things depending on your version of Windows.

Open Computer Management->Event Viewer, then check the System and Security logs for any errors which may relate to file share issues.

Under Shares, do you see the shared directories you think you have shared?
Under Sessions, do you see any open sessions from other machines?

If you turn on security logging and Auditing for the drive and/or share you are trying to connect to you will then get some data on the success or failure of login attempts from the 103. (Internet search Security Logging and Auditing for your appropriate version of Windows)

After setting up some additional logging, connect to the server from your other client using the same account you have been trying from the Oppo. I would do this troubleshooting with an account that has Admin credentials. What do you see in the System and Security event logs when you have a successful connection? What do you see in Shares, Sessions and Open Files when a successful client is connected? There should now be a user in Sessions, and some file paths under Open Files.

Shut down that client, then try the same account from the 103.

It may be some as silly as // slashes ('Nix / Mac OS X) versus \\ (Windows) for presenting server and file paths.

Example - a valid drive map from a Windows box would be (net use z: \\myserver\mymediashare) and specifying where the account credentials come from would be (net use z: \\myserver\mymediashare /USER:myworkgroup\me)

The same equally valid connection from a 'Nix variant could be smb://myserver/mymediashare or smbclient //myserver/mymediashare or smbclient //(someipaddress)/mymediashare

I don't see anything in the manual about how a 103 user enters or presents account credentials, so I would try the following in order with the previous known good account. Check the logs and sessions/shares after each attempt to see if there is any indication the 103 is even contacting the server.

Windowsy connection variants...
\\myserver\mymediashare
\\myserver\mymediashare /USER:myworkgroup\me
\\(someipaddress)/mymediashare
\\(someipaddress)/mymediashare /USER:myworkgroup\me

'Nixy connection variants...
//myserver/mymediashare
//myserver.local/mymediashare
//(someipaddress)/mymediashare

We need to see if we can generate any errors on the Windows server side so we have some idea if the 103 is even talking to the server.
post #1303 of 2827
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

This tells you that the Oppo is seeing your shares as it should. The issue is in the authentication on the shared PC. If there are multiple PCs sharing, that might relate to the issue you are seeing.
This is normal at present. Be aware that BOTH "workgroup" and the PC by name will store separate passwords in the player even if they are the same. Whether the share is called workgroup or PC name is pretty random, and either will work.

Thanks - could you clarify " If there are multiple PCs sharing, that might relate to the issue you are seeing. " - does that mean more than one device accessing my shares? If not right now my oppo is the only thing accessing it. If you mean having media sharing and oshare turned on my PC, I'll be happy to turn them offf.
post #1304 of 2827
Questions for the beta testers or new owners (I'm looking at you Bob, Neuro, wmcclain smile.gif. Given that I'm most interested in the new 5.1 capabilities of the 103's netflix app, I wanted to know if netflix has put restrictions on outputting DD 5.1 Plus audio over the analog outputs? I have an older receiver with only 5.1 inputs (no hdmi), and I'm interested in upgrading to the 103 over my 93 for the improved netflix 5.1 sound and interface. But does the 103 output DD 5.1+ over the analog outputs on the 103? Or has it been restricted to hdmi only? Also, some of the newer panasonic players on the market (DMP-BDP220) have an option to enable 24p for Netflix streams. This is an awesome feature, but I don't believe the oppo 103 supports it. Can any of you confirm?

I know I'm basically using ancient technology, but it's a huge pain in the ass that no one is making devices with 5.1 analog outs anymore. So far, I believe the bdp-103 is the only player with these outputs that also supports DD 5.1+ for Netflix. All the dedicated streaming boxes only push DD 5.1+ over hdmi, and I want this higher bitrate sound on my system. Short of buying a new blu-ray player or receiver, I just don't see any streaming devices that would fit my needs. (netflix 5.1 over analog outs) Anyone found one that I haven't?
post #1305 of 2827
Quote:
Originally Posted by boe View Post

Thanks - could you clarify " If there are multiple PCs sharing, that might relate to the issue you are seeing. " - does that mean more than one device accessing my shares? If not right now my oppo is the only thing accessing it. If you mean having media sharing and oshare turned on my PC, I'll be happy to turn them offf.

No, I just meant if you have more than one PC on the network with shares. I use nothing but guest accounts with no passwords and have no issues. I see this as no particular risk since my network is wired and behind a firewall. The Oppo sees both my PC and my Dune player which also acts as NAS. DNLA servers are also listed.
post #1306 of 2827
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

No, I just meant if you have more than one PC on the network with shares. I use nothing but guest accounts with no passwords and have no issues. I see this as no particular risk since my network is wired and behind a firewall. The Oppo sees both my PC and my Dune player which also acts as NAS. DNLA servers are also listed.

Thanks - -i've enabled guest access and it still doesn't work. I have a MAC running OSX, two other Windows machines, an ipad, an android phone and an HP scanner - all of which can access smb shares. I've turned all of the other machines off so the main PC is the only thing broadcasting. It says it cannot log on. No firewall of any kind on at the moment, and the pc and oppo are on the same unmanaged switch so there is no routing or iphelper or anything fancy going on. A friend of mine is an MVP for MS and he remoted to my PC and verified all the settings as well.

I believe you when you say you got yours to work. I'm just not able to get mine working yet even though it sounds like we have some similar environments. I'll wait to hear back from Oppo or until they have a firmware update.

Again I really do appreciate all your efforts to help me on this. There are certainly bigger issues in the world than me playing with this toy so I'll put this on hold for now.
Edited by boe - 10/1/12 at 10:37am
post #1307 of 2827
Since few have commented on the 103's AQ--and I've been listening to mine for 3 days--I''ll give a brief report:
It clearly sounds better than the the 93 and even the 95, both of which I owned until last week. I know the phrase is overused, but this 103 is going to be a giant-killer. (Can't even imagine how the 105 will sound.) The 2-CH CD audio is simply clearer, more detailed, fuller, and um, realistic! The transients and dynamics are just incredible. Vocals and instruments are clearly positioned in the soundfield. Bass is fuller, deeper. Electric guitars have an immediancy I didn't hear on the 93/95. Vocals are wonderful. And you don't want to get me started on how great SACD and DVD-A and 5.1/7.1 and FLAC files sound...
I don't know how Oppo made such an improvement at the same price-point as the 93, but they absolutely did. Kudos, Oppo.... (and my 103 is still breaking in and sounding even better every day.)
post #1308 of 2827
Quote:
Originally Posted by hifi.guy View Post

Since few have commented on the 103's AQ--and I've been listening to mine for 3 days--I''ll give a brief report:
It clearly sounds better than the the 93 and even the 95, both of which I owned until last week. I know the phrase is overused, but this 103 is going to be a giant-killer. (Can't even imagine how the 105 will sound.) The 2-CH CD audio is simply clearer, more detailed, fuller, and um, realistic! The transients and dynamics are just incredible. Vocals and instruments are clearly positioned in the soundfield. Bass is fuller, deeper. Electric guitars have an immediancy I didn't hear on the 93/95. Vocals are wonderful. And you don't want to get me started on how great SACD and DVD-A and 5.1/7.1 and FLAC files sound...
I don't know how Oppo made such an improvement at the same price-point as the 93, but they absolutely did. Kudos, Oppo.... (and my 103 is still breaking in and sounding even better every day.)

I assume you're speaking of the analog outs on the 103. Since the 103 doesn't have the SABRE DACs of the 95, I'm not sure how the 103 could improve on the AQ of the 95.

In your testing, did you do ABX comparisons between the 103 and both the 93 and 95? It sounds like you didn't have all 3 at the same time to test against each other so you are relying on memory. If so, this is an extremely unreliable method of comparison.
Edited by scolumbo - 10/1/12 at 11:31am
post #1309 of 2827
Quote:
Originally Posted by boe View Post

Thanks - -i've enabled guest access and it still doesn't work. I have a MAC running OSX, two other Windows machines, an ipad, an android phone and an HP scanner - all of which can access smb shares. I've turned all of the other machines off so the main PC is the only thing broadcasting. It says it cannot log on. No firewall of any kind on at the moment, and the pc and oppo are on the same unmanaged switch so there is no routing or iphelper or anything fancy going on. A friend of mine is an MVP for MS and he remoted to my PC and verified all the settings as well.
I believe you when you say you got yours to work. I'm just not able to get mine working yet even though it sounds like we have some similar environments. I'll wait to hear back from Oppo or until they have a firmware update.
Again I really do appreciate all your efforts to help me on this. There are certainly bigger issues in the world than me playing with this toy so I'll put this on hold for now.

All this is no doubt part of the reason that Oppo is calling SMB an "experimental" and unsupported function. Authentication issues are common and unrelated to the player as far as we can tell. Folks who already have media boxes set up and using shares should have no issues just plugging the player in and using it. Unfortunately Windows has dozens of related settings that can mess you up, and no help is available for sorting it out. Someone might suggest drawing a chalk pentagram on top of the player and a small animal sacrifice. I went through days of cursing and fuming to get shares set up for my Dune player. But after that the Oppo was plug and play for SMB.
post #1310 of 2827
Quote:
Originally Posted by scolumbo View Post

I assume you're speaking of the analog outs on the 103. Since the 103 doesn't have the SABRE DACs of the 95, I'm not sure how the 103 could improve on the AQ of the 95.
In your testing, did you do ABX comparisons between the 103 and both the 93 and 95? It sounds like you didn't have all 3 at the same time to test against each other so you are relying on memory. If so, this is an extremely unreliable method of comparison, as to be virtually meaningless.

In my ears I trust. I've been in the audio business for many, many years. You can listen for yourself and give your own report. These are my initial subjective impressions. Take them, or don't.
Edited by hifi.guy - 10/1/12 at 11:36am
post #1311 of 2827
Quote:
Originally Posted by sta363 View Post

Since buyers are receiving the new BDP-103 now, can anybody report as to the improvement, if any, in the picture from a Directv satellite relative to the 103's ability to accept a 720p/1080i feed from a Directv DVR and scale it to 1080p for their display?
Thx for the information.

I would appreciate knowing how the BDP-103/105 interfaces with a DirectV receiver.
post #1312 of 2827
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

The new Digital Media Renderer DLNA support may give you an alternate way to do that now. We need to see how folks take advantage of that.
--Bob

Hmmm...I have no idea what that means (I am not very computer savvy redface.gif )

I'll keep following the 103/105 thread and see how this develops.
post #1313 of 2827
Quote:
Originally Posted by hifi.guy View Post

Since few have commented on the 103's AQ--and I've been listening to mine for 3 days--I''ll give a brief report:
It clearly sounds better than the the 93 and even the 95, both of which I owned until last week. I know the phrase is overused, but this 103 is going to be a giant-killer. (Can't even imagine how the 105 will sound.) The 2-CH CD audio is simply clearer, more detailed, fuller, and um, realistic! The transients and dynamics are just incredible. Vocals and instruments are clearly positioned in the soundfield. Bass is fuller, deeper. Electric guitars have an immediancy I didn't hear on the 93/95. Vocals are wonderful. And you don't want to get me started on how great SACD and DVD-A and 5.1/7.1 and FLAC files sound...
I don't know how Oppo made such an improvement at the same price-point as the 93, but they absolutely did. Kudos, Oppo.... (and my 103 is still breaking in and sounding even better every day.)

Very interested to hear more on this - I would not have guessed the 103 analog out would (could?) sound better than the 95 analog out.

Can you comment on the rest of your system - how the 103 was cabled to your other components, etc?

Thanks.
post #1314 of 2827
Quote:
Originally Posted by boe View Post

Thanks - -i've enabled guest access and it still doesn't work. I have a MAC running OSX, two other Windows machines, an ipad, an android phone and an HP scanner - all of which can access smb shares. I've turned all of the other machines off so the main PC is the only thing broadcasting. It says it cannot log on. No firewall of any kind on at the moment, and the pc and oppo are on the same unmanaged switch so there is no routing or iphelper or anything fancy going on. A friend of mine is an MVP for MS and he remoted to my PC and verified all the settings as well.
I believe you when you say you got yours to work. I'm just not able to get mine working yet even though it sounds like we have some similar environments. I'll wait to hear back from Oppo or until they have a firmware update.
Again I really do appreciate all your efforts to help me on this. There are certainly bigger issues in the world than me playing with this toy so I'll put this on hold for now.

The first thing you want to look is Windows' Event Log. Windows 7 (or XP for that matter) has very small default stack for file share stuff. I have a number of media players ran into this kind of problem. If there an error in the log. Search solution using the error code or description.
post #1315 of 2827
Quote:
Originally Posted by hifi.guy View Post

Since few have commented on the 103's AQ--and I've been listening to mine for 3 days--I''ll give a brief report:
It clearly sounds better than the the 93 and even the 95, both of which I owned until last week. I know the phrase is overused, but this 103 is going to be a giant-killer. (Can't even imagine how the 105 will sound.) The 2-CH CD audio is simply clearer, more detailed, fuller, and um, realistic! The transients and dynamics are just incredible. Vocals and instruments are clearly positioned in the soundfield. Bass is fuller, deeper. Electric guitars have an immediancy I didn't hear on the 93/95. Vocals are wonderful. And you don't want to get me started on how great SACD and DVD-A and 5.1/7.1 and FLAC files sound...
I don't know how Oppo made such an improvement at the same price-point as the 93, but they absolutely did. Kudos, Oppo.... (and my 103 is still breaking in and sounding even better every day.)

this merry-go-around of a thread has been spinning so fast i didn't know where to jump in. long story short, i bought a bdp-95 about a month ago when i got my 2ch tube amp in so that i could listen to some cd's and sacd's. i've only had a pair of so-so headphones to hook up the amp to (speakers are to arrive on thu), so my experience is not only limited, but may not be terribly accurate for speaker applications.

the bdp-95 sounded really quite nice when i played my diana krall and yo yo ma sacd's on it. that being said, these are the first two sacd's i've ever owned. so i guess i've jumped from mp3 quality music over laptop outputs to sacd quality processed by an oppo bdp-95 and output via a tube amp (albeit a budget-ish one). the details in the sound quality (prob as a result of the sacd more so than the bdp-95) was pretty incredible. on the headphones, i could hear the musicians taking a gasp of air. with the yo yo ma (ennio morricone) sacd, if you close your eyes, it's as if you're sitting on stage with the musicians. i'm not sure how else to describe it. the diana krall sacd provided a lot of vocal clarity as well. the cut off of her voice as she sings seems very precise. again, this could be b/c i'm listening to it on headphones.

sooooo...after having had the bdp-95 for 3 weeks, i signed up for the bdp-103 email list. the day i received the pre-order email, i ordered the player. it arrived less than 48hrs later. great, now i can try the two players back to back. long story short, both my wife (daughter of a musician with pretty close to perfect pitch and a very keen sense of hearing) listened to the same pieces on the two players back to back. i did a "blind" test on her, so to speak, and she couldn't tell the difference between the two players. initially, she said that the bass was richer on the bdp-95 when i played the yo yo ma sacd, but the next day, when i didn't tell her which was which, she really could not distinguish the two. i personally could not either. i didn't think to break the player in either - both are fairly new and have not had many hours logged on it.

given the lack of noticeable (to our ears) difference b/w the two players, i ended up returning the bdp-95 to magnolia yesterday. the manager there said i could keep it until the bdp-105 comes out and exchange it well after the 30day return period, but i think i'm going to stick with the 103 for now. i might want the bdp-105 for the DAC capabilities, but i'm not sure that's worth $700. if the reviews come in and the bdp-105 is head and shoulders above the 103, then i might be inclined to drop the extra $700 for it. otherwise, i think the bpd-103 will suit my needs perfectly fine. looking forward to getting my monitor speakers in this thursday and providing a more detailed review as i break the player, amp and speakers ins!

btw, for those that may be curious as to my setup - i used the 2ch dedicated analog out for the bdp-95 and the FR/FL out of the 7.1 analog out of the bdp-103 with the down-mixing option set to output through the 2 front channels. those analog outs were connected to my tube amp (musical paradise MP-301 MK3), from which my audio technica headphones were power. just a side note, and this may be a function of my amp, but it may not be. each time i plugged the analog cables into the bpd-95, there was a slight hum/buzz. with the bdp-103, there was no such hum/buzz. not sure what could cause that. initially, i thought it was b/c the MP-301 was made to be used with higher impedance (25+ ohms) headphones, of which my AT are not. but that the bdp-103 produced no hum/buzz was a bit perplexing, albeit a welcome difference from bdp-95.
Edited by jomama - 10/1/12 at 12:21pm
post #1316 of 2827
Quote:
Originally Posted by scolumbo View Post

I assume you're speaking of the analog outs on the 103. Since the 103 doesn't have the SABRE DACs of the 95, I'm not sure how the 103 could improve on the AQ of the 95.
In your testing, did you do ABX comparisons between the 103 and both the 93 and 95? It sounds like you didn't have all 3 at the same time to test against each other so you are relying on memory. If so, this is an extremely unreliable method of comparison.

+1
post #1317 of 2827
Maybe the mods that were made to the analog section of the 103 are producing SQ close to that of the 95. I was not planning on using the analog section of the 103. But with the latest posts here I'll certainly give it a listen when my 103 arrives smile.gif.

Bill
post #1318 of 2827
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jottle View Post

Questions for the beta testers or new owners (I'm looking at you Bob, Neuro, wmcclain smile.gif. Given that I'm most interested in the new 5.1 capabilities of the 103's netflix app, I wanted to know if netflix has put restrictions on outputting DD 5.1 Plus audio over the analog outputs? I have an older receiver with only 5.1 inputs (no hdmi), and I'm interested in upgrading to the 103 over my 93 for the improved netflix 5.1 sound and interface. But does the 103 output DD 5.1+ over the analog outputs on the 103? Or has it been restricted to hdmi only? Also, some of the newer panasonic players on the market (DMP-BDP220) have an option to enable 24p for Netflix streams. This is an awesome feature, but I don't believe the oppo 103 supports it. Can any of you confirm?

I know I'm basically using ancient technology, but it's a huge pain in the ass that no one is making devices with 5.1 analog outs anymore. So far, I believe the bdp-103 is the only player with these outputs that also supports DD 5.1+ for Netflix. All the dedicated streaming boxes only push DD 5.1+ over hdmi, and I want this higher bitrate sound on my system. Short of buying a new blu-ray player or receiver, I just don't see any streaming devices that would fit my needs. (netflix 5.1 over analog outs) Anyone found one that I haven't?

Yes, the Netflix app on the 103 supports Dolby Digital+ 5.1 over the Analog audio outputs (as well as over the digital outputs). In fact the VUDU app supports Dolby Digital+ 7.1!

So you are good to go for audio.



The Netflix app in the current 103 firmware does *NOT* output 1080p/24. You get 1080p/60. The Beta Testers have flagged that back to OPPO engineering and we'll see what they can make happen, but as always with Netflix, the problem is that the app comes from Netflix, and when running it seizes control of all aspects of the hardware (which makes it hard to slip things in behind its back). In short, it can be a nuisance to get changes implemented. Stay tuned.
--Bob
post #1319 of 2827
Quote:
Originally Posted by emylly View Post

Very interested to hear more on this - I would not have guessed the 103 analog out would (could?) sound better than the 95 analog out.
Can you comment on the rest of your system - how the 103 was cabled to your other components, etc?
Thanks.

Interesting, the assumptions people make:) ... My comments are based on listening to the 103's HDMI 2 output. I will of course evaluate the analog outs soon, but I assume the majority of users will hookup the 103 using the HDMI outputs for their MC system. (If what you hear on the HDMI connection sounds good, you can bet the analog output will sound even better, less jitter, blah-blah-blah...) I'm using the Split A/V configuration, feeding an HDTV with HDMI 1 and a Marantz SR6005 driving Magnepan 1.7's. (Also have a pair of Hsu subs for LFE's.) Thanks for your interest.smile.gif
post #1320 of 2827
Quote:
Originally Posted by hifi.guy View Post

Interesting, the assumptions people make:) ... My comments are based on listening to the 103's HDMI 2 output. I will of course evaluate the analog outs soon, but I assume the majority of users will hookup the 103 using the HDMI outputs for their MC system. (If what you hear on the HDMI connection sounds good, you can bet the analog output will sound even better, less jitter, blah-blah-blah...) I'm using the Split A/V configuration, feeding an HDTV with HDMI 1 and a Marantz SR6005 driving Magnepan 1.7's. (Also have a pair of Hsu subs for LFE's.) Thanks for your interest.smile.gif

Maybe I could have worded it better - I think it would be safe to say that it would be *unexpected* for the 103 to sound better than the 95 - analog of course.

I wouldn't expect the digital outputs to be significantly different at all - they're just acting as transports in that case and all the real work is done by whatever DAC you have in the chain and your amps and speakers.

I guess that's why I assumed you were talking analog.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Blu-ray Players
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › Official OPPO BDP-103/BDP-105 Anticipation Thread