or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › Official OPPO BDP-103/BDP-105 Anticipation Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official OPPO BDP-103/BDP-105 Anticipation Thread - Page 79

post #2341 of 2827
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

For lossy Bitstreams, they will be identical. (Neither form of Input on the 105 can accept lossless Bitstreams.)
For LPCM, the Optical/Coax S/PDIF Inputs are limited to 2.0 channels, and to 96KHz 24-bit. The HDMI Inputs can accept up to 5.1 LPCM at 192KHz 24-bit, and 7.1 LPCM at 96KHz 24-bit. I also suspect, but can't prove, that LPCM over the HDMI Inputs will be no more Jitter prone than the S/PDIF stereo LPCM Inputs, and may even be superior.
--Bob

Thanks Bob. I have a question regarding the HDMI input; if fed a 5.1 dts-HD Master soundtrack from a blu-ray player, can the 105 be set to down mix to stereo for the dedicated stereo analog output, and if so will it knock it down to dts core or keep the HD resolution & bitrate? What about Dolby True-HD?

Thanks.
Edited by vlach - 11/13/12 at 2:39am
post #2342 of 2827
Quote:
Originally Posted by vlach View Post

Thanks Bob. I have a question regarding the HDMI input; if fed a 5.1 dts-HD Master soundtrack from a blu-ray player, can the 105 be set to down mix to stereo for the dedicated stereo analog output, and if so will it knock it down to dts core or keep the HD resolution & bitrate? What about Dolby True-HD?
Thanks.
The HDMI inputs on the 103/105 won't accept Dolby True-HD or DTS-HD Master audio - you'll need to convert those to LPCM before they get to the Oppo. Otherwise, yes the player will handle the down mix to stereo for any format it supports on the HDMI input just as it does when playing physical media, streaming, etc.
post #2343 of 2827
^ To clarify a bit, if you set another Blu-ray player to send HDMI Bitstream of a DTS-HD MA or TrueHD track to an HDMI Input of the OPPO, what will actually get sent is the lossy "compatibility" track (as a bitstream).

If the Source player can decode the lossless tracks to LPCM and send that, then the full quality LPCM gets sent.

Either way, yes the OPPO can down-mix.
--Bob
post #2344 of 2827
Now that Oppo is accepting 105 orders... I'm waiting with bated breath to see when Crutchfield ships my preorder....
post #2345 of 2827
Hi Bob,
I just ordered mine and plan to use in a 2 channel system for CD's/SACD/etc only (replacing a mid 90's Rega Planet).

Can you tell me the optimal player settings for Analog out to preamp via RCA?

Thank you
post #2346 of 2827
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

I use HDMI 1 (only) through my D2v.
I think you should probably do the same. Set the D2v to 1080p output and turn off all of the so-called video "enhancements" you can in the Sharp -- i.e., use it like a "monitor" -- to get its processing time down.
--Bob

Thanks Bob. There is a 'game mode' tongue.gif which has essentially no delay. To get the CMS into play unfortunately requires taking on a fair amount of delay, so I'm sort of stuck with it.
post #2347 of 2827
Hoping the incoming BDP-105 will somehow allow me to solve my issues without additional gear.

Basically I had been using the BDP-93 for disc play and streaming in a stereo only environment (couldn't swing for the BDP-95 at that point in time). The BDP-93, a LST4200a (previous TV had no ATSC tuner - I do OTA and do not pay for cable TV), a Sony XDR-F1HD, and some other now defunct gear that I wont be using any longer (a PS3 that went tits up and an old Pioneer Elite DVD player) all fed an ancient (but good working) Carver C-1 Sonic Holography analog pre-amp.

Fast forward to now where two changes have made my HT setup less than desirable. First, the old DLP was replaced with a shiny new plasma but the new TV does not have analog audio outs, just Dolby Digital via Toslink or ARC, which means no audio without a Dolby Digital decoder somewhere in the chain. And second, the need to use headphones at times due to different sleeping schedules.
Ideally I sought a stereo pre-amp with Toslink in and Dolby Digital decoding, there may be one but I haven't found it yet, many have Toslink in but work with PCM and do not decode Dolby Digital. So temporarily I replaced the Carver C-1 with my old Outlaw 950 Pre-Pro, it has no HDMI but it does decode Dolby Digital injected via Toslink and in stereo bypass mode does not seem to degrade the audio from the analog outs of the BDP-93. However it has no headphone out and does not decode Dolby Digital via Zone 2 (which is feeding the headphones) so it solves one problem but creates a new one that didn't exist with just the Carver.

My thinking so far is that the BDP-105 can double as both player and pre-pro and I can feed its stereo outs directly to my power amp. I believe it has enough inputs and switching capability to handle the Sony tuner, the TV (either via ARC or Toslink), and even the BDP-93 which I may keep around for any issues faced by early adopters and/or Cinavia issues. This removes both the Carver and the Outlaw pres from the chain.

Between Toslink and ARC over HDMI, is one to be preferred over the other?

Is this all well and good so far from those with a bit more experience?

If so, now for the monkey wrench.

What happens if I decide to add a powered sub-woofer to this currently stereo only setup? Does this mean I would have to use the multi-analog outs and set the front speaker output to LT/RT + small? Or can the dedicated stereo outs still be used in this scenario as I assume they are of a higher quality than the multi-outs?

Thanks.

Chris
Edited by darkphader - 11/13/12 at 7:49am
post #2348 of 2827
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkphader View Post

My thinking so far is that the BDP-95 can double as both player and pre-pro and I can feed its stereo outs directly to my power amp. I believe it has enough inputs and switching capability to handle the Sony tuner, the TV (either via ARC or Toslink), and even the BDP-93 which I may keep around for any issues faced by early adopters and/or Cinavia issues. This removes both the Carver and the Outlaw pres from the chain.
I'm assuming you meant to write "the BDP-105 can double as both player and pre-pro".
Quote:
Between Toslink and ARC over HDMI, is one to be preferred over the other?
For your purposes, I believe they should give you equal results as long as ARC from your TV works properly.
Quote:
What happens if I decide to add a powered sub-woofer to this currently stereo only setup? Does this mean I would have to use the multi-analog outs and set the front speaker output to LT/RT + small? Or can the dedicated stereo outs still be used in this scenario as I assume they are of a higher quality than the multi-outs?
You can reassign the dedicated stereo outs to be FL / FR for the multichannel outs in this scenario so you can still take advantage of the better dedicated stereo outputs. So adding a subwoofer shouldn't create any issues.
post #2349 of 2827
What's the 5 release date?
post #2350 of 2827
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post

I'm assuming you meant to write "the BDP-105 can double as both player and pre-pro".
For your purposes, I believe they should give you equal results as long as ARC from your TV works properly.
You can reassign the dedicated stereo outs to be FL / FR for the multichannel outs in this scenario so you can still take advantage of the better dedicated stereo outputs. So adding a subwoofer shouldn't create any issues.

Yes, I meant 105 - edited post.
So the dedicated stereo outs can be assigned LT/RT?
post #2351 of 2827
I am looking to enjoy my DVD-A rips I have converted to FLAC gaplessly. I currently have a BDP-95 and use uPnP streaming from my PC. The 5.1 FLAC files work great but navigation is a pain and the pause between tracks is excruciating on albums like The Beatles "Love" DVD-A.

If I can use my computer to send via USB or HDMI content navigation would be a breeze and all files would play gapless. With this setup I am concerned about jitter being introduced.

  1. Does the BDP-105 handle 5.1 channel - 24bit - 96khz - FLAC stream via USB? What about HDMI?
  2. Is the amount of jitter between HDMI and USB different? And how does that jitter compare to using the player's built in FLAC decoding (via network or HDD)?


It's also worth noting I use the analog outputs on my Oppo because my processor does not have HDMI inputs and the cost of the Oppo is far less than a processor with a DAC as good as the Sabre 32.

Cheers,
Bryan
post #2352 of 2827
Quote:
Originally Posted by Semp1 View Post

What's the 5 release date?

Today. The notice to people on their email list of it's availability went out last night. Waiting for their/crutchfield's/other reseller's websites to update.
post #2353 of 2827
So will the dac in the oppo not play audio cd's with 192/24 music or it will but just down mix to 96
This whole time reading this forum i never saw mention that the oppo won't accept 192 for anything other than multichannel such as bluray. A bit disappointed. I have a lot of 192 files
post #2354 of 2827
Quote:
Originally Posted by bthrb4u View Post

So will the dac in the oppo not play audio cd's with 192/24 music or it will but just down mix to 96
This whole time reading this forum i never saw mention that the oppo won't accept 192 for anything other than multichannel such as bluray. A bit disappointed. I have a lot of 192 files

"Audio CDs" are 16/44. The Oppos will play any WAV or FLAC file up to 24/192 from attached storage, network or even from a ROM disc.
post #2355 of 2827
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post

I'm assuming you meant to write "the BDP-105 can double as both player and pre-pro".
For your purposes, I believe they should give you equal results as long as ARC from your TV works properly.
You can reassign the dedicated stereo outs to be FL / FR for the multichannel outs in this scenario so you can still take advantage of the better dedicated stereo outputs. So adding a subwoofer shouldn't create any issues.

This has me very confused. The Oppo can be used as a pre-pro? So you can run the Analog outputs directly to a power amp, without any other pre-amp in the signal path? This changes things a lot for me. I thought the analog output of the Oppo was fixed line level and had to be fed to the multi-channel line inputs of a pre-pro. Which of these scenarios is correct? I am really confused, and I will be pleasantly giddy if the Oppo can operate as a stand alone pre-pro!

I had planned to run the Oppo 105 analog outputs to my B&K, using only the pre-amp functionality of my B&K. I'm expecting that the analog section of the Oppo will surpass the B&K. But, if I can eliminate the B&K altogether I would definitely do that.
post #2356 of 2827
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg121986 View Post


This has me very confused. The Oppo can be used as a pre-pro? So you can run the Analog outputs directly to a power amp, without any other pre-amp in the signal path? This changes things a lot for me. I thought the analog output of the Oppo was fixed line level and had to be fed to the multi-channel line inputs of a pre-pro. Which of these scenarios is correct? I am really confused, and I will be pleasantly giddy if the Oppo can operate as a stand alone pre-pro!
I had planned to run the Oppo 105 analog outputs to my B&K, using only the pre-amp functionality of my B&K. I'm expecting that the analog section of the Oppo will surpass the B&K. But, if I can eliminate the B&K altogether I would definitely do that.

The Oppo analog outputs can be fixed or variable. There is a setting you choose in the setup menu and use the remote as a volume control if the variable output setting is chosen. (121986....birthday coming up?biggrin.gif)

post #2357 of 2827
Pre-pro = Pre amplifier-Processor ? So the Oppo isn't a pre-amp, but there may be stand alone power amps to take the analog straight from the Oppo. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'd think most users will take the analog into a mulit channel "receiver", which does the pre-amplification and then the power amplification (by-passing any processing since the Oppo converted the digital to analog). Or alternatively, connect the Oppo's HDMI out to bring the bitstream into a hi-end pre/pro (and then to separate power amp) or into an HT receiver which handles the digital to analog conversion ("processing").
post #2358 of 2827
Quote:
Originally Posted by bnieman View Post

the pause between tracks is excruciating on albums like The Beatles "Love" DVD-A.

Didn't you see the marketing materials on the Oppo website for the 103 and 105?

"The BDP-105 fully supports high-resolution lossless WAV and FLAC music formats"

Of course WAV plays gapless and FLAC does not. But that's for the naive customer to learn on their own...after they buy.
post #2359 of 2827
I received the OPPO email yesterday and I placed my order. smile.gif
post #2360 of 2827
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmusoke View Post

The Oppo analog outputs can be fixed or variable. There is a setting you choose in the setup menu and use the remote as a volume control if the variable output setting is chosen. (121986....birthday coming up?biggrin.gif )

JH901, yes. Pre-Pro is Pre-amplifier and Processor in one package. Such as an Integra DHC 80.3, or my B&K Reference 50 S2, and several others. In proper order of what is actually happening to the signal, it should read Pro-Pre, but that sounds silly!

dmusoke, yes. If the BDP-105 can in fact be used as a stand alone pre-pro and run directly to my Anthem PVA-7 power amplifier... happy birthday to meeee! cool.gif I see that on the remote it has a volume button, but this doesn't necessarily mean that it can be run as a pre-amp directly into a power amp. I definitely want to use its 2 channel DAC functionality as well. I was planning to run the balanced XLR outputs to the balanced inputs of my B&K. Not for the fact that it will benefit the sound in anyway, I just REALLY want to be able to use balanced interconnects on something! biggrin.gif

I am not opposed to using my B&K as a pre-amp if I have to, but I am getting some ground noise from its RCA analog outputs. So if I can stop using it altogether, then I will be very happy. If I still have to use it, I need to crack it open and fix or replace the RCA connections as they are causing a lot of noise on my center channel. I was able to temporarily jiggle them into submission to the noise has subsided, but I suspect that it will continue to be a problem.

I'm still on the fence about the Oppo. It will be a major purchase for me.
post #2361 of 2827
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg121986 View Post

This has me very confused. The Oppo can be used as a pre-pro? So you can run the Analog outputs directly to a power amp, without any other pre-amp in the signal path? This changes things a lot for me. I thought the analog output of the Oppo was fixed line level and had to be fed to the multi-channel line inputs of a pre-pro. Which of these scenarios is correct? I am really confused, and I will be pleasantly giddy if the Oppo can operate as a stand alone pre-pro!
I had planned to run the Oppo 105 analog outputs to my B&K, using only the pre-amp functionality of my B&K. I'm expecting that the analog section of the Oppo will surpass the B&K. But, if I can eliminate the B&K altogether I would definitely do that.

I am presently running the 95 directly to my amp's and the sound is great. That is what I will be doing when I get the 105, as well as plugging my TV into the new DAC, and that will do everything I need. What a great unit!

My attitude is that if you don't need the pre-amp to attach other things to, or if you don't use DSP, then don't bother with one. Save yourself some money, or put the money for the pre-amp into better speakers or better power amp's.
post #2362 of 2827
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg121986 View Post

I see that on the remote it has a volume button, but this doesn't necessarily mean that it can be run as a pre-amp directly into a power amp. .

Yes it does as long as the Anthem has sufficient input sensitivity.
post #2363 of 2827
What FW version is the 105 shipping with?
post #2364 of 2827
I placed my order with OPPO this morning for a 105 with rack mount. They said it would be shipping today and would be 2-3 weeks before the Canadian supplier would see theirs.....so, since I can't wait that long.... smile.gif ..... mine will be here sooner!
post #2365 of 2827
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg121986 View Post

But, if I can eliminate the B&K altogether I would definitely do that.

In audio less is more. This is an amazingly versatile product. I expect to use it for a long time because of the high quality DAC and the digital inputs, plus it's ability to play BD Audio disks. It's why I'm willing to spend 2x for it over the 103. It will find use in my home as a digital preamp long after it's been replaced as my primary video media player.

Brilliant job by Oppo.
post #2366 of 2827
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehlarson View Post

In audio less is more. This is an amazingly versatile product. I expect to use it for a long time because of the high quality DAC and the digital inputs, plus it's ability to play BD Audio disks. It's why I'm willing to spend 2x for it over the 103. It will find use in my home as a digital preamp long after it's been replaced as my primary video media player.
Brilliant job by Oppo.

I agree, this is whole new game. For those who don't need lots of inputs (those without a lot of different sources), you can now get away without using a pre-amp at all. Finally, we don't have to spend money on two DAC's, one in the receiver or pre/pro, and one in the Blu-Ray player - one of them never gets used anyways.
post #2367 of 2827
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehlarson View Post

In audio less is more. This is an amazingly versatile product. I expect to use it for a long time because of the high quality DAC and the digital inputs, plus it's ability to play BD Audio disks. It's why I'm willing to spend 2x for it over the 103. It will find use in my home as a digital preamp long after it's been replaced as my primary video media player.
Brilliant job by Oppo.

With the recent development that the Oppo can be used as a pre-amp, consider me psyched! smile.gif It will probably be a few weeks before I can get the BDP-105, however. I received the email from Oppo but due to the expense of moving over the next few weeks, I'll have to wait. mad.gif

I look forward to reading everyone's "I just received mine!" posts over and over again until I can place my order. tongue.gif
post #2368 of 2827
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehlarson View Post

In audio less is more.

Generally agreed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehlarson View Post

This is an amazingly versatile product.

Agreed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehlarson View Post

I expect to use it for a long time because of the high quality DAC

For high quality DACs, it's the *circuitry* (mainly?) together with the DAC chip(s).

Weakest link and all that. smile.gif

Keep that in mind at all times.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehlarson View Post

and the digital inputs, plus it's ability to play BD Audio disks.

For high quality sound, BD audio disks are still a small blip on the map, in comparison to the older SACD and DVD-A discs (both 5.1 and stereo).

But the new OPPO 105/103 players playback the older SACD and DVD-A discs (both 5.1 and stereo). smile.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehlarson View Post

It's why I'm willing to spend 2x for it over the 103. It will find use in my home as a digital preamp long after it's been replaced as my primary video media player.
Brilliant job by Oppo.

A key thing I want is improved playback of high quality 5.1 and stereo files (both .wav and .flac in both hi-rez and 16/44.1 format) via an external 2.5" USB HDD.

AFAICT the playback from an external 2.5" USB HDD is the same as that of the older OPPO 93/95 players.

Meaning that the whole thing about the new 105 unit's asynchronous USB capability does not seem to apply to playback from an external 2.5" USB HDD.

Am I correct in thinking that music file playback from an external 2.5" USB HDD is buffered by the 105/103/95/93 OPPO players, and therefore not an issue with regard to jitter?

And BTW one or more refs (re music file playback from an external 2.5" USB HDD), would be very much appreciated. Thanks in advance. smile.gif
post #2369 of 2827
I know a lot of you are planning on plugging your 105 straight into to your amps. Just hoping the output level has enough gain to sound good for you and not sound too thin! I need the switching features and LCD screen of my pre-pro. Back in the day I borrowed a Mark Levinson 390s and plugged it into my Levinson 335 amplifier. The sound was fantastic but I lost all the other functions I needed. I was using an Audio Research LS25 MKII to compare the 390s so there was not a huge difference as I suspect those with higher end processors or preamps will discover. Me personally I am going to just connect the HDMI 1 for Blu Ray movie playback and connect the XLR for analogue CD playback. I am using a Classe SSP-800 as my pre-pro. I am so hoping that this player sounds as good or even better than my Ayre CX-7e CD player.wink.gif
post #2370 of 2827
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp1080 View Post

I know a lot of you are planning on plugging your 105 straight into to your amps. Just hoping the output level has enough gain to sound good for you and not sound too thin! I need the switching features and LCD screen of my pre-pro. Back in the day I borrowed a Mark Levinson 390s and plugged it into my Levinson 335 amplifier. The sound was fantastic but I lost all the other functions I needed. I was using an Audio Research LS25 MKII to compare the 390s so there was not a huge difference as I suspect those with higher end processors or preamps will discover. Me personally I am going to just connect the HDMI 1 for Blu Ray movie playback and connect the XLR for analogue CD playback. I am using a Classe SSP-800 as my pre-pro. I am so hoping that this player sounds as good or even better than my Ayre CX-7e CD player.wink.gif

You're working with some high quality stuff there... I can't imagine you would receive any benefit with the Oppo other than using it as an optical disc transport.

I am worried about the output levels. I'm still skeptical about the Oppo's ability as a pre-amp. I will try it both ways.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Blu-ray Players
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › Official OPPO BDP-103/BDP-105 Anticipation Thread