or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Video Download Services & Hardware › Fox to Sell Digital Downloads of Films Before Their Blu-ray Release Dates
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Fox to Sell Digital Downloads of Films Before Their Blu-ray Release Dates - Page 2

post #31 of 142
I would only consider this download if it's in 3D. Nevertheless, I cleaning the lens right now on MY BenQ7000 in anticipation of the October Blu-ray 3D release. Already have seen Prometheus 4 times at the theater.

Think I will pick up Titanic 3D today from Best Buy. It's only $24.99 if you print the $5.00 coupon from their website
post #32 of 142
We're all looking forward to the day when the release date for our home theater as is identical to the release date for the multiplex down the street, right?

RHETORICAL QUESTION: Does this development get us closer to that reality or farther away?

Baby steps, people. Baby steps. The suits get so much wrong, would a little positive reinforcement headpat for a move in the right direction kill ya?

I was jonesing to see Prometheus in the theater but I missed it for a myriad of stupid reasons. I, for one, will be streaming that muther foyer on September 17th the minute I get home from work and I'll be locking the theater door for the first time ever so the kids don't interrupt my viewing.


post #33 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by quad4.0 View Post

The sudios better wake up!

And tremble in fear before the might of the legions of AV-ophiles who represent such a large percentage of their current and future income rolleyes.gif. The studios are not interested in super high quality PQ and AQ unless it sells. If they don't make a buck selling these pre-BD-release streams/downloads then they will stop selling them. If not, they'll give us more.
post #34 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by cshawnmcdonald View Post

We're all looking forward to the day when the release date for our home theater as is identical to the release date for the multiplex down the street, right?
RHETORICAL QUESTION: Does this development get us closer to that reality or farther away?
Baby steps, people. Baby steps. The suits get so much wrong, would a little positive reinforcement headpat for a move in the right direction kill ya?
I was jonesing to see Prometheus in the theater but I missed it for a myriad of stupid reasons. I, for one, will be streaming that muther foyer on September 17th the minute I get home from work and I'll be locking the theater door for the first time ever so the kids don't interrupt my viewing.

I am in the same boat. i live for Ridley Scott movies and LOVE the Alien series and was foaming at the mouth for Prometheus. I, also, missed it in the theater for a myriad of reasons (along with the Dark Knight Rises) and am EAGERLY anticipating it's release! Hopefully it will be one of the first I get to view on my new VT50, which I will hopefully be getting at the end of september.

School and work are fracking time vampires right now... :*(
post #35 of 142
Joe Public can buy Prometheus for $15 - HD digital download (3 weeks earlier than the OD release). . . or he can spend $24.99 (current Amazon price) for the BD Combo.

Is Joe Public demanding that he have the very best PQ and AQ, or is Joe motivated by price and maybe an earlier release date?
post #36 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post

Joe Public can buy Prometheus for $15 - HD digital download (3 weeks earlier than the OD release). . . or he can spend $24.99 (current Amazon price) for the BD Combo.
Is Joe Public demanding that he have the very best PQ and AQ, or is Joe motivated by price and maybe an earlier release date?

One never knows how the public will react. The Hunger Games from Amazon:

Digital HD = $14.99
DVD = $19.96
BD = $22.96

From Vudu:

HDX = $22.99
HD = $22.99
SD = $17.99

Can not find any info on THG digital sales, it must be insignificant compared to physical sales.
post #37 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell R. Breland View Post

One never knows how the public will react. The Hunger Games from Amazon:
Digital HD = $14.99
DVD = $19.96
BD = $22.96
From Vudu:
HDX = $22.99
HD = $22.99
SD = $17.99
Can not find any info on THG digital sales, it must be insignificant compared to physical sales.

I am sure they are insignificant. They all went on sale the same time right? Disc and DHD?

Lionsgate does not have a 28 day embargo on their titles for rental, Fox does
post #38 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post

I am sure they are insignificant. They all went on sale the same time right? Disc and DHD?
Lionsgate does not have a 28 day embargo on their titles for rental, Fox does

The point: Digital HD $14.99 vs. DVD $19.96 or BD $22.96. I think you were implying price would triumph quality. I was just pointing out in the case of THG it did not appear so.
post #39 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post

Is Joe Public demanding that he have the very best PQ and AQ, or is Joe motivated by price and maybe an earlier release date?

It depends upon the saturation level of available movies I want to see. If there is a backlog, then I'll wait for the blu-Ray of a visual spectacle (Prometheus) while I CinemaNow romcoms my wife wants to see or the latest exercise in the various and sundry household items Jason Statham can use to kill someone.

If I'm parched for quality content on a movie night, then I'm going to download/stream whatever entertainment I can find.

Speaking for myself, the DVD Release Schedule right now is a desert. Nuttin'. Nada. Bupkiss.

So this Joe Public is going to stream Prometheus instead of waiting another month for blu-Ray.
post #40 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell R. Breland View Post

The point: Digital HD $14.99 vs. DVD $19.96 or BD $22.96. I think you were implying price would triumph quality. I was just pointing out in the case of THG it did not appear so.

How much media exposure did THG Digital HD get? AFAIK, - none.
post #41 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by cshawnmcdonald View Post

It depends upon the saturation level of available movies I want to see. If there is a backlog, then I'll wait for the blu-Ray of a visual spectacle (Prometheus) while I CinemaNow romcoms my wife wants to see or the latest exercise in the various and sundry household items Jason Statham can use to kill someone.
If I'm parched for quality content on a movie night, then I'm going to download/stream whatever entertainment I can find.
Speaking for myself, the DVD Release Schedule right now is a desert. Nuttin'. Nada. Bupkiss.
So this Joe Public is going to stream Prometheus instead of waiting another month for blu-Ray.

It's not a stream. It's a download. You download Prometheus to your PC's hard drive. You do not have to be connected to the internet to watch it.
post #42 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post

It's not a stream. It's a download. You download Prometheus to your PC's hard drive. You do not have to be connected to the internet to watch it.

Probably will be both. IIRC, Prometheus will be a UV title. Depending upon viewing method it could be a stream or download.
post #43 of 142
Why not just drop the price of Blu-ray to $15.00.
post #44 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post

How much media exposure did THG Digital HD get? AFAIK, - none.

There may be a reason for that. The folks responsible may feel they would not get a return on their advertising dollars spent for THG Digital HD.

Can not speak for PS3, Xbox, Roku users but Amazon and Vudu featured the title very prominently on their streaming services.
post #45 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by nelson57 View Post

Why not just drop the price of Blu-ray to $15.00.

Because this is a special promotional event. For Vudu: You can buy the Digital HD version on 9-18, the SD version 10-11. You can rent all versions on 10-11.

Amazon has no info on a digital version. That may be because they do not do UV.
post #46 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell R. Breland View Post

There may be a reason for that. The folks responsible may feel they would not get a return on their advertising dollars spent for THG Digital HD.
Can not speak for PS3, Xbox, Roku users but Amazon and Vudu featured the title very prominently on their streaming services.

How much more would it have cost for Lionsgate to advertise "Available on BD, DVD and Digital HD?"
post #47 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by nelson57 View Post

Why not just drop the price of Blu-ray to $15.00.

Once you start dropping the price of a premium product, consumers will expect that price to become the norm.

BTW - Fox will make more money on a per unit basis from their Digital HD then they will from their BD Combo.
post #48 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by nelson57 View Post

Why not just drop the price of Blu-ray to $15.00.

Forgot to add:

This is not a apples to apples price comparison. The Blu-ray version will include a DVD, digital copy and most likely extras that include the alternate endings and lossless audio. UV is ?? There will be another (higher price) Blu-ray bundle that includes the 3D version.

The $15.00 digital version is movie only and lossy audio. There will be a digital bundle that includes the alternate endings but you can bet: the audio will be the lossy type (DD+) and cost more money.
post #49 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell R. Breland View Post

Forgot to add:
This is not a apples to apples price comparison. The Blu-ray version will include a DVD, digital copy and most likely extras that include the alternate endings and lossless audio. UV is ?? There will be another (higher price) Blu-ray bundle that includes the 3D version.
The $15.00 digital version is movie only and lossy audio. There will be a digital bundle that includes the alternate endings but you can bet: the audio will be the lossy type (DD+) and cost more money.

I believe that Prometheus will be Fox's first UV title. By buying the $15 Digital HD version, that would entitle you to having the UV benefits when you register your purchase at the UV website.
post #50 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post

By buying the $15 Digital HD version, that would entitle you to having the UV benefits when you register your purchase at the UV website.

At present you can not “redeem” a title at the UV site. In the case of Prometheus the most likely site will be Vudu. All the titles that I have redeemed at Universal, Paramount, Sony, etc. were linked to my UV account and are available for streaming via Vudu.

It is not clear if the Blu-ray package will have a UV redemption code hence the ??

Just curious, do you plan on purchasing the HD digital version of Prometheus?
post #51 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell R. Breland View Post

At present you can not “redeem” a title at the UV site. In the case of Prometheus the most likely site will be Vudu. All the titles that I have redeemed at Universal, Paramount, Sony, etc. were linked to my UV account and are available for streaming via Vudu.
It is not clear if the Blu-ray package will have a UV redemption code hence the ??
Just curious, do you plan on purchasing the HD digital version of Prometheus?

Yes - Fox will be using Vudu to access the UV streaming. That was covered in the media.

LOL - I don't plan on buying any version of Prometheus. Saw it in the theater in 3D - good 3D but meh movie. I will rent it from Netflix on BD if I want to see it again.

I don't buy many movies. A handful of 3D BDs. Some BDs, a bunch of HD DVDs that I bought for pennies on the dollar. I learned my lesson after LD (800) and DVD (1000). Still have about 600 DVDs left.
Edited by Lee Stewart - 9/14/12 at 10:26pm
post #52 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post

I learned my lesson after LD (800) and DVD (1000). Still have about 600 DVDs left.

Being a professional audio/video person (now retired) I have and will always want the best available source material. Had a fair size LD selection, several titles repurchased because they were redone using digital audio tracks. No commercial titles on VHS, only 3 titles on βeta. Had several hundred DVD’s, most have been sold or given away. Had about ¾ of all titles released on D-VHS D-Theater, most have been sold, have only 5 titles remaining. Have about 350 titles on Blu-ray and counting.

When a physical format comes along that supercedes Blu-ray then I most likely will buy into that.

I have about 10 UV titles, some were redeemed Blu-ray and the others were DVD to UV upgrades. Probably will not do anymore, too many stops for re-buffering.

Between my Blu-ray library, Blockbuster Blu-ray by mail, OTA (edited), PBS via AMC-21 satellite I have more HD than I can watch. (PBS is free but donations are welcomed, click here)

Have Amazon Prime & Netflix streaming to fill in the gaps when needed.
post #53 of 142
Streaming ain't BD, but some of it's not so bad. Forum member msgohan's "Netflix PS3 streaming comparison PIX" thread had a ton of precisely synchronized frames obtained via his HDMI capture card from Blu-ray discs and a variety of streaming services at different resolutions. Sadly, ImageShack seems to have auto-magically screwed them all up, converting them from 1920x1080 to 800x450 (or, if it still has the originals, it's not giving them up to the public) rolleyes.gif. Before that happened I'd saved a tiny handful of my favorites off, the same frames captured from Blu-ray discs and 1080p Netflix (all facial close-ups, lots of tiny details):


(To compare these, I like to open a window in the Chrome browser, placing the frames in two separate tabs. Blow it up full-screen with F11 and instantly bounce back and forth between the two with CTRL-TAB. I like to use Chrome for this because full-screen is full-screen; no vertical or horizontal scrollbars. If you use Chrome as your regular browser, like me, drag one of the links into the New Tab at the top of this window, drag that tab off into its own window, then drag the other link into that new window's New Tab).

The quality of both Blu-ray and Netflix video encodes vary some; not all comparisons were this close. If you look at msgohan's thread you can see that he posted dozens of these, comparing a number of different streaming and download services, including Netflix 720p/1080p, VUDU HD/HDX, Amazon, Zune and iTunes 720p/1080p, both streams and downloads where available; the loss of these is very disappointing. For many he included frames from BDs; the difference between BD and 3-bar VUDU HDX (9 Mbps) was often very subtle, difficult to detect with the naked eye. Of course, none of the streaming services offer lossless audio, often encoded at bit rates equal to or exceeding streaming service video bit rates.
Edited by michaeltscott - 9/15/12 at 9:17pm
post #54 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by swarm87 View Post

do they think people are stupid, why pay $$ for a sub par digital version of a movie; if i want a crappy "take anywhere with me" copy i'll either rip the film myself or um, you know.....

Know what? STEAL it? What do you want? Something for FREE? I don't own a Blu-ray don't plan on owing one. HD Netflix looks just fine to me. You don't even know what the HD digital version looks like yet you can comment on the quality? A digital HD version for $15 or a DVD for $20 or a Blu-ray for $30? Hmmmm let's see. I love how some people think everyone is or should be a videophile and they are somehow lesser if they aren't. So no I'm NOT stupid if I choose a $15 digital copy over a Blu-ray for $30. Too each his own. As soon as you buy me a blu-ray player and agree to pay the difference in price of the media then I'll start buying blu-rays. Deal?
post #55 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post

Streaming ain't BD, but some of it's not so bad. Forum member msgohan's "Netflix PS3 streaming comparison PIX" thread had a ton of precisely synchronized frames obtained via his HDMI capture card from Blu-ray discs and a variety of streaming services at different resolutions. Sadly, ImageShack seems to have auto-magically screwed them all up, converting them from 1920x1080 to 800x450 (or, if it still has the originals, it's not giving them up to the public) rolleyes.gif. Before that happened I'd saved a tiny handful of my favorites off, the same frames captured from Blu-ray discs and 1080p Netflix (all facial close-ups, lots of tiny details): (To compare these, I like to open a window in the Chrome browser, placing the frames in two separate tabs. Blow it up full-screen with F11 and instantly bounce back and forth between the two with CTRL-TAB. I like to use Chrome for this because full-screen is full-screen; no vertical or horizontal scrollbars. If you use Chrome as your regular browser, like me, drag one of the links into the New Tab at the top of this window, drag that tab off into its own window, then drag the other link into that new window's New Tab).
The quality of both Blu-ray and Netflix video encodes vary some; not all comparisons were this close. If you look at msgohan's thread you can see that he posted dozens of these, comparing a number of different streaming and download services, including Netflix 720p/1080p, VUDU HD/HDX, Amazon, Zune and iTunes 720p/1080p, both streams and downloads where available; the loss of these is very disappointing. For many he included frames from BDs; the difference between BD and 3-bar VUDU HDX (9 Mbps) was often very subtle, difficult to detect with the naked eye. Of course, none of the streaming services offer lossless audio, often encoded at bit rates equal to or exceeding their video bit rates.

Anyone compare Blu-ray to Vudu HDX copies which should be superior to Nexflix 1080p. Honestly in those examples I could barely tell a difference unless I really looked which of course you're not going to watch a movie that way. Also I really don't need to see every poor on someone's face to enjoy a movie more.
Edited by BCF68 - 9/15/12 at 12:06pm
post #56 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCF68 View Post

Anyone compare Blu-ray to Vudu HDX copies which should be superior to Nexflix 1080p.

From my post that you quoted: "For many he included frames from BDs; the difference between BD and 3-bar VUDU HDX (9 Mbps) was often very subtle, difficult to detect with the naked eye." Even 2-bar HDX was superior to 1080p Netflix (1-bar was about the same). Given the difference in cost ($8/month for all-you-can-watch versus $6 to view one HDX title for 24 hours), you'd kind of expect to get superior quality (I often catch the 99 cent move of the day on VUDU though, which can be viewed in HDX). Sadly all of those frame captures are dead, seemingly converted to 800x450 by ImageShack.
post #57 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post

Streaming ain't BD, but some of it's not so bad.
I think frame captures are good tools and use them myself, but they only tell part of the story. For example, recently I was watching a HD title on Netflix and the opening scene had a large stationary title graphic keyed over a moving background that contained large trees with green leaves.

The moving leaves really played havoc on the title graphic causing all kinds of jaggies, some tears, etc. I would wager many would not notice but it does occur. Now if one were to capture such frames it would be easy for anyone to see the difference between a frame with such artifacts and those without the artifacts.
post #58 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell R. Breland View Post

I would wager many would not notice but it does occur. Now if one were to capture such frames it would be easy for anyone to see the difference between a frame with such artifacts and those without the artifacts.

I did say that both BD and Netflix video encodes are variable in quality and that Netflix did not fare as well against BD in all frame cap comparisons smile.gif. It was always detectibly softer, but often held up surprisingly well in comparisons, particularly considering the relative encode average bit rates, 3-8 times richer for BDs.

I used to measure bandwidth consumption of various streaming services and used the film Ong Bak 2: The Beginning as my standard. I chose it because it had a long video encoder-taxing high-action sequence near the start that should be (and was) encoded at the maximum average BR for the service (and because it was available on a variety of services, including Netflix, Amazon (prime), VUDU and Zune. The scene was martial arts combat in the rain, interlaced with a boy fighting a crocodile in a pool of muddy water (also in the rain). People and objects moving quickly and raindrops moving all over the screen: the sort of thing that would dissolve into a mess of macro-blocking when encoded poorly, but there were no such problems that I could detect in the Netflix encode.
post #59 of 142
Let's not forget and I've seen it many times that Netflix will deliver you an HD movie at a lower resolution just to get started faster and switch to the HD stream once running. I even saw that last night watching a film on my Acer tablet. I think they even wrote a tech blog article about doing that.
post #60 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post

Let's not forget and I've seen it many times that Netflix will deliver you an HD movie at a lower resolution just to get started faster and switch to the HD stream once running.
This is true. And?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Video Download Services & Hardware › Fox to Sell Digital Downloads of Films Before Their Blu-ray Release Dates