or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Other Areas of Interest › What's Your System Configuration › Gorilla83's Humble Basement Hangout
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Gorilla83's Humble Basement Hangout - Page 12

post #331 of 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunga99 View Post

Stunning!! eek.gifeek.gif
I also really like the angle shot of the 3 speakers.cool.gif

You mean the one where you can see his socks??? tongue.gif
post #332 of 580
Thats exactly the one I was talking about. Socks and all, the speakers and angle of that shot looks great biggrin.gif

Cant believe how great this room looked when he started and how it just keeps getting better and better. Awesome Job!! smile.gif
post #333 of 580
Thread Starter 
Thanks Bunga! A huge amount of work went into transforming the room in the last year and it seems to have paid off. It's a work in progress, but it's quite enjoyable for me.

There are some small tweaks to be done, but I have to say the theater area is right where I want it to be right now. I suppose the next focus will be on decorating the bar area and perhaps adding an arcade game or two. wink.gif

Jim - you are lucky I didn't have my shorts down for the pic. biggrin.gif
post #334 of 580
looks amazing man.

have you thought about putting the sub on its side to drop the height of the center down slightly? not sure that it would make any difference
the lack of symmetry would bother me even when hidden
post #335 of 580
this setup does not look gtg friendly for speaker shoot outs!

awesome looking speakers btw
post #336 of 580
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ufokillerz View Post

this setup does not look gtg friendly for speaker shoot outs!

awesome looking speakers btw

Thanks Raymond - and I've got to thank you again for this front stage, it sounds amazing. Agreed it's a bit more effort for shootouts, but it makes for an EASY way to compare blind. smile.gif
post #337 of 580
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sibuna View Post

looks amazing man.

have you thought about putting the sub on its side to drop the height of the center down slightly? not sure that it would make any difference
the lack of symmetry would bother me even when hidden

Good idea, I could pick up (or lose) 2 inches changing the sub's position. Although I've kind of gotten used to the "dominating" center look.
post #338 of 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla83 View Post

Thanks Raymond - and I've got to thank you again for this front stage, it sounds amazing. Agreed it's a bit more effort for shootouts, but it makes for an EASY way to compare blind. smile.gif

Blind = Crucial!

Stubled upon this video this morning. Really enjoyed it.

First 5 minutes give a bit more perspective on the importance of blind testing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYTlN6wjcvQ&feature=endscreen&NR=1

That one Ethan guy seems to know a thing or two about acoustics. Very interesting watch and I thought the timing was right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla83 View Post

Good idea, I could pick up (or lose) 2 inches changing the sub's position. Although I've kind of gotten used to the "dominating" center look.

I like the dominating center! However, it looks to me as if the center could use a bit more support though. Maybe floor to ceiling sub arrays would help make sure everything was nice and safe back there... Just a thought.
post #339 of 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla83 View Post

Jim - you are lucky I didn't have my shorts down for the pic. biggrin.gif

smiley-sick029.gif
post #340 of 580
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by popalock View Post

Blind = Crucial!

Stubled upon this video this morning. Really enjoyed it.

First 5 minutes give a bit more perspective on the importance of blind testing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYTlN6wjcvQ&feature=endscreen&NR=1

That one Ethan guy seems to know a thing or two about acoustics. Very interesting watch and I thought the timing was right.
I like the dominating center! However, it looks to me as if the center could use a bit more support though. Maybe floor to ceiling sub arrays would help make sure everything was nice and safe back there... Just a thought.


Not sure if you're joking about Ethan but have you seen his site? He is really the "authority" when it comes to room treatments. There is a s-ton of information on his site, I've read it all many times but I still haven't fully grasped it all yet. biggrin.gif

http://www.realtraps.com/


As far as the "support" near the center channel - Dammit it you make a good point! biggrin.gif
post #341 of 580
lol... you know I'm playing.

He's awesome.
post #342 of 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla83 View Post

Finished up the front wall treatments. The center treatment pretty much gets hidden by the center channel entirely. Listening now and can't say I noticed a huge difference with the addition of just these 4 treatments, but the cost was very low and it was a fun little project.

Other updates:

-Riser carpet supposed to be delivered on Thursday.
-New sub amps supposed to be delivered sometime this week.

Some pics - enjoy:

Made my own French cleats to hang them:


Sample:


Hung up - I also added one more behind the sub after the pic was taken:


Ssssiiiicckkk! I love it! smile.gif
post #343 of 580
Thread Starter 
Thanks Scott! Enjoying this setup nearly every night never fails to make me smile, heh.

Should also have both new amps for the subs up and running this weekend. cool.gif
post #344 of 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla83 View Post

Thanks Scott! Enjoying this setup nearly every night never fails to make me smile, heh.

Should also have both new amps for the subs up and running this weekend. cool.gif

Cool! So you like the new Peavey?

I really like your setup and it's been fun watching it evolve. smile.gif
post #345 of 580
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian View Post

Cool! So you like the new Peavey?

I really like your setup and it's been fun watching it evolve. smile.gif

I will get quite a bit more time in with the peaveys this weekend but from what i've seen/heard so far they seem really great. More to come, stay tuned.

Scott, you have a bunch of the D4's right? Great match for the peavey. wink.gif
post #346 of 580
Yes. I have eight d4's. I won't lie, sometime down the road I'd like some more powerful amps but this is how I'm going to have it for now:

I own a Cerwin Vega CV5000 that can do 2,500w per channel @ 2ohms. I'll have four d4's per channel for ~625w each. I was considering either two or three 14k clones or one 10kQ but I'll keep an eye on the Peavey you just got.
post #347 of 580
Thread Starter 
Honestly I'm sure the CV will do a great job and if anything would only be a DB or two away from full potential.

I spent some timing dialing in the Peaveys and the minidsp 10x10 this morning. I had yet to use 4 separate sub channels - so much tinkering to do but I improved the phase relationship quite a bit! Got to pound on both amps for about 45 minutes or so. The fans really get going but as soon as you back down so do they. Output is very impressive - I've got to be careful in 2 ohm mode but there is definitely not a shortage of power. smile.gif

D82F3A04-29A7-460D-AB3E-B8660DC32E8A-5572-000002DEA3C1109F_zps00288fa4.jpg

Also since I seemed to have been running out of room in my current equipment rack in the main room, I decided to start tinkering with a design of my own. Had most of the 'scrap' wood laying around so figured why not. This gives me over twice the space with a good 10" of height for each space. Will help greatly with cable management as well.

Got most of it assembled, but now spending time sanding and filling. I have the holes drilled for wheels at the bottom as well. This sucker is pretty heavy now. smile.gif

78EB81B8-0D22-4429-AC5C-0E317BC72D71-5572-000002DE9E51A673_zps857aa9f0.jpg

5E758920-E358-4DF4-9918-246FB1E4C015-5572-000002C6C00B5578_zps58f0e09e.jpg

Going to try a new finish - Sherwin Williams pre-cat epoxy paint, in black of course. We will see how it goes, supposed to be very durable.

0AC42EDD-27E9-42CB-8954-C72C58AA1D66-5572-000002C6B4EC48E1_zps2534701e.jpg
Edited by Gorilla83 - 7/20/13 at 8:24am
post #348 of 580
Thread Starter 
Carpet on the riser came out fantastic. Glad I had the guys do it who did the upstairs carpet. tongue.gif Edges are pretty much perfect and would not have been if I was wrapping. I spent more than I wanted to on this little project but very glad I did.





Also - the new equipment rack is still drying/curing but will have some new pics up soon.
post #349 of 580
I don't believe any of that happened until I see it with my own eyes. Just saying...
post #350 of 580
looking great
post #351 of 580
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson View Post

I don't believe any of that happened until I see it with my own eyes. Just saying...

I know, I know. Why don't you take a ride down this weekend or next? I'm free from ~2:30 on this Saturday and all day Sunday.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sibuna View Post

looking great

Thanks man!
post #352 of 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla83 View Post

I know, I know. Why don't you take a ride down this weekend or next? I'm free from ~2:30 on this Saturday and all day Sunday.

I'll be in VA this weekend visiting family (one of my nephews joined the Army and they're having a party for him on his final weekend home).

Besides, you have far more pressing needs to attend to. Can't be more than 2-3 weeks left at this point, right? How's your wife doing?
post #353 of 580
Thread Starter 
Looking at 3-4 weeks as of now, but we'll see how comfortable he gets in there. smile.gif Wife is uncomfortable, but healthy so we can't complain. tongue.gif

Pics coming tonight of the painted AV stand/rack.
post #354 of 580
Thread Starter 
AV cabinet painted and wheels installed. Will move all of my gear sometime this weekend.




post #355 of 580
Thread Starter 
A few new ideas:

I've got a bit of black carpet left over so I may lay that on the floor under the screen to dampen as many light reflections as I can. The wife agreed it would be cool to do the whole room in black carpet eventually but right now not in the budget. I'm also thinking I can build a small panel covered in velvet or something that can be placed above the screen to do the same. I'm thinking it could be the width of the screen and about 2-3' deep or so. That should pretty much take care of all light reflections with the white ceiling.

I also thought it might be helpful to share my top 5 upgrades/items in my theater. In my experience, my favorite stuff, in order:

1) False wall and AT screen - LOVE this setup
2) Yorkville U215 L/C/R - Straight up amazing, especially considering their price point
3) Octo 18 sub build and Peavey amps - provides sound quality and output that makes you giggle every time.
4) Riser build - very much adds to the 'movie' experience and allows us to accommodate guests easily and comfortably
5) MiniDSP 10x10 - tons of flexibility and tweaking options to get the sound just the way you want it. 10 channels of EQ, with IR capability, in a 1RU enclosure for this price is pretty awesome.
Edited by Gorilla83 - 7/26/13 at 7:59am
post #356 of 580
You've got the ultimate system, now. smile.gif

I gotta catch up!


And dude... idk why but I am suddenly in love with this new Peavey IPR2 7500. Wish you had got this months ago before I bought the CV5000 and save about 60lbs of weight. tongue.gif
post #357 of 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla83 View Post

A few new ideas:

I've got a bit of black carpet left over so I may lay that on the floor under the screen to dampen as many light reflections as I can. The wife agreed it would be cool to do the whole room in black carpet eventually but right now not in the budget. I'm also thinking I can build a small panel covered in velvet or something that can be placed above the screen to do the same. I'm thinking it could be the width of the screen and about 2-3' deep or so. That should pretty much take care of all light reflections with the white ceiling.

I also thought it might be helpful to share my top 5 upgrades/items in my theater. In my experience, my favorite stuff, in order:

1) False wall and AT screen - LOVE this setup
2) Yorkville U215 L/C/R - Straight up amazing, especially considering their price point
3) Octo 18 sub build and Peavey amps - provides sound quality and output that makes you giggle every time.
4) Riser build - very much adds to the 'movie' experience and allows us to accommodate guests easily and comfortably
5) MiniDSP 10x10 - tons of flexibility and tweaking options to get the sound just the way you want it. 10 channels of EQ, with IR capability, in a 1RU enclosure for this price is pretty awesome.

Uh oh. My list would be exactly like yours except sub the Noesis for the Yorkville's and SI's instead of Daytons. Other than that identical. Yet you say AT screen trumps them all. This is no good. I cannot be reading posts like this. smile.gif

In other news I experienced 3D at mrsmithers last night. I was blown away. Better than the theater by far. At the theater I can tell on eye is looking at something different than the other, not the case at his place. To top it off the screen was a dirty, wrinkly, sheet since he is waiting on his screen and still it was incredible. Ha, he didn't even have the sound hooked up yet so we were sitting there with no audio... blown away....

Next projector I will be getting 3D for sure.
post #358 of 580
Thread Starter 
Carp - damn you for bringing up the 3d! That is one thing I'm missing but never thought much of it. Anyway it will be some time before I change projectors but my next will also have 3d for sure.
post #359 of 580
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian View Post

You've got the ultimate system, now. smile.gif

I gotta catch up!


And dude... idk why but I am suddenly in love with this new Peavey IPR2 7500. Wish you had got this months ago before I bought the CV5000 and save about 60lbs of weight. tongue.gif

Scott - I got a chance to spend a few hours this afternoon really pounding on the new peaveys. The sound quality and massive power on tap is incredible. I would highly recommend these to anyone needing a ton of power to drive subs. The ultra low end power (BHD Irene, blades) power is downright scary!! It's just stupid to hear the output considering these amps weigh nothing.

System right now is founding fabulous. If I attempt to change things up anytime soon, someone stop by and slap me please.

Projector lens shifting faltering to the massive LFE - Master of commander scene at -2.5 and 10db hot. biggrin.gif

post #360 of 580
Ok, I've made it. And read through it all. Better late than never to THIS party smile.gif I feel like I have been here all along however. I have already got some things swimming around in my mind regarding moving some subs out into the room for the first time ever.... Dead flat of the front wall has gotten me dead flat at the LP, but it never hurts to switch it up a little....Get that tactile feel thing going on biggrin.gif

I thought for a bit I was slightly ahead of you, or at least keeping up, but not until looking at the timestamps did I truly realize how many moves you had made just since the g2g. I definitely need to catch back up!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Other Areas of Interest › What's Your System Configuration › Gorilla83's Humble Basement Hangout