or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › The "Official" Pioneer Elite SC-61/-63 Owners Forum
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The "Official" Pioneer Elite SC-61/-63 Owners Forum - Page 10

post #271 of 863
Quote:
Originally Posted by I WANT MORE View Post

No go again on the update. Got to 20% and received Error 6. I give up. I have Pandora on 15 other devices guess I'll use those. Thanks anyway for the help folks.

Your upgrade should work fine using a USB drive. If you are doing that, maybe your files were not properly unzipped. (weird...).

Pandora on the Web plays 64k AAC+ for free listeners and 192k for Pandora One subscribers. All in-home devices play 128k audio, and mobile devices receive a variety of different rates depending on the capability of the device and the network they are on, but never more than 64k AAC+. So you will get a lot more quality with your receiver than with any other device unless you were a Pandora One subscriber.

Good luck!
post #272 of 863
Fought with ARC all night last night. I cannot get my receiver to output audio from the TV through ARC. Enabled ARC on both the TV and Receiver, made sure i was plugged into the HDMI port on my TV that supports ARC and nothing. My TV did keep trying to switch my Receiver to the TV input, but would just give me static and no audio when using smart TV functions. Im wondering if my HDMI cabling is not up to par. I thought i read somewhere that you needed high speed 1.4 cables. I honestly dont know what I have. Unfortunately, if this is the case all my cabling from the receiver to the TV is in the wall and runs through a wall pass through connector. Would be a lot of work to upgrade the in wall HDMI cables. I might try just an external cable to the TV just to see if this really is the case. I can just stick with using the smart features of my BD player, though the smart features on the TV are a bit nicer.
post #273 of 863
Howdy folks,
New to the Pioneer scene--I just got my C-61 last week--
And I'm pretty happy with it as I'm learning it --
But I haven't figured out how to use the remote to operate the other devices I programmed into it.
I did get it to work the TV on the separate panel, so I think I got the codes into where I want them.
BUT, I don't know how to make the remote function as the remote for the device-like the cable box or DVD player--

All that seems to happen is that I switch the input on the AVR to that source.
My old Integra had a separate area to switch the remote function.

The manual is only on the DVD and is a pain to flip back and forth to--
I did read what I found but couldn't find anything to answer this.

Thanks
post #274 of 863
^^
do you have sync mode turned on? if so, try turning it off, may or may not work.

IMO, someone who wants to use ARC is going to have to call Pioneer & ask and then PLEASE post the answer. why? because you are not the only one who is struggling to make it work. unfortunately, all the ones asking for help just disappear from the threads so we have no idea if they ever figured it out, got help from Pioneer or gave up!

this is not directed to you smile.gif but this is not a one-way street. hundreds of posts from people with < 20 post asking for help and way too few knowledgeable owners who are posting. I'm one of the ones who tries smile.gif

please call Pioneer & ask them then help others here by posting what they tell you & if you get it to work. it's probably something simple but no one seems to know the answer in multiple threads rolleyes.gif or if they do figure it out, they aren't bothering to help others by telling what they did.

I'd be willing to help by experimenting on my setup but I don't have a TV with ARC.
post #275 of 863
Quote:
Originally Posted by sethman916 View Post

Fought with ARC all night last night. I cannot get my receiver to output audio from the TV through ARC. Enabled ARC on both the TV and Receiver, made sure i was plugged into the HDMI port on my TV that supports ARC and nothing. My TV did keep trying to switch my Receiver to the TV input, but would just give me static and no audio when using smart TV functions. Im wondering if my HDMI cabling is not up to par. I thought i read somewhere that you needed high speed 1.4 cables. I honestly dont know what I have. Unfortunately, if this is the case all my cabling from the receiver to the TV is in the wall and runs through a wall pass through connector. Would be a lot of work to upgrade the in wall HDMI cables. I might try just an external cable to the TV just to see if this really is the case. I can just stick with using the smart features of my BD player, though the smart features on the TV are a bit nicer.

Yes, you need a 1.4 HDMI cable for ARC to work. Once enabled on both the receiver/tv, and you're plugged into the right HDMI ARC port supported by your tv, this should work automatically.

Had to edit this to reflect using the right port on the tv. I incorrectly assumed it was HDMI 1 and I don't want to give others any extra headaches.
Edited by PickleJuice - 2/13/13 at 10:29am
post #276 of 863
A must read if you are using your PS3 as your blu-ray player. Especially if you have the PS3 slim version.

I'm sure this info can be found elsewhere but I'm putting this here for the new SC-61 owners as I wish I had come across this on day 1.

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=40872
post #277 of 863
Quote:
Originally Posted by PickleJuice View Post

Yes, you need a 1.4 HDMI cable for ARC to work. Once enabled on both the receiver/tv, and you're plugged into HDMI 1 on your tv, this should work automatically.

1.4 cable - now I learned something. Thanks for the info; this will help a lot of folks.
post #278 of 863
Quote:
Originally Posted by PickleJuice View Post

Yes, you need a 1.4 HDMI cable for ARC to work. Once enabled on both the receiver/tv, and you're plugged into HDMI 1 on your tv, this should work automatically.

Not so sure this is my only issue. I did some reading and found some information. The only feature of 1.4 that you need newer 1.4 cables for is Ethernet. ARC is supposed to work with 1.3 cables just fine. 3D is supposed to require 1.4 as well and it works perfectly in my system. I cannot confirm that my cables are not 1.4, but they were purchased last year, well after the standard had come out. So, I'm guessing that my cables are 1.4. I think there is more involved than just 1.4 cables. I will see if i can find a cable that i know for a fact is 1.4 and try a direct connection from the receiver to the TV and see if this solves it.

http://www.differencebetween.net/technology/difference-between-hdmi-1-3-and-1-4/

From the above website.

All of the features of HDMI 1.4 can be used while using older cables that were designed for version 1.3. That is except the Ethernet channel. For that you need a cable that was built for version 1.4. HDMI 1.4 also saw the introduction of the micro HDMI connector. It is identical to the bigger connectors and is pretty much like the micro USB connectors.

Read more: Difference Between HDMI 1.3 and 1.4 | Difference Between | HDMI 1.3 vs 1.4 http://www.differencebetween.net/technology/difference-between-hdmi-1-3-and-1-4/#ixzz2KjNwJXV3
post #279 of 863
Also make sure that your AVR and TV, Bluray player, STB all have the latest firmware version.
post #280 of 863
Posted this earlier, but no replies...

Should I be able to see all the functions (volume control, input selected, etc) thorugh my TV screen? I'm running my BD, Cable, and Apple TV through the SC-61, and the SC-61 to my TV.

Anyone???
post #281 of 863
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ejs71 View Post

Posted this earlier, but no replies...

Should I be able to see all the functions (volume control, input selected, etc) thorugh my TV screen? I'm running my BD, Cable, and Apple TV through the SC-61, and the SC-61 to my TV.

Anyone???

Nope.. SC-61 doesn't have OSD for these kind of things. the one and only thing i am disappointed about with this AVR.
post #282 of 863
Quote:
Originally Posted by sethman916 View Post

Not so sure this is my only issue. I did some reading and found some information. The only feature of 1.4 that you need newer 1.4 cables for is Ethernet. ARC is supposed to work with 1.3 cables just fine. 3D is supposed to require 1.4 as well and it works perfectly in my system. I cannot confirm that my cables are not 1.4, but they were purchased last year, well after the standard had come out. So, I'm guessing that my cables are 1.4. I think there is more involved than just 1.4 cables. I will see if i can find a cable that i know for a fact is 1.4 and try a direct connection from the receiver to the TV and see if this solves it.

http://www.differencebetween.net/technology/difference-between-hdmi-1-3-and-1-4/

From the above website.

All of the features of HDMI 1.4 can be used while using older cables that were designed for version 1.3. That is except the Ethernet channel. For that you need a cable that was built for version 1.4. HDMI 1.4 also saw the introduction of the micro HDMI connector. It is identical to the bigger connectors and is pretty much like the micro USB connectors.

Read more: Difference Between HDMI 1.3 and 1.4 | Difference Between | HDMI 1.3 vs 1.4 http://www.differencebetween.net/technology/difference-between-hdmi-1-3-and-1-4/#ixzz2KjNwJXV3

I think some 1.3 cables will work but most won't. Either way if I was you I would hit up walmart or somewhere where it's easy to return stuff and try using a newer cable if all your settings are right.
post #283 of 863
Quote:
Originally Posted by PickleJuice View Post

I think some 1.3 cables will work but most won't. Either way if I was you I would hit up walmart or somewhere where it's easy to return stuff and try using a newer cable if all your settings are right.

i would test purely out of curiosity since changing my in wall cables is going to be a pain.
post #284 of 863
Arc not working? First of all keep in mind that only 1 HDMI from the TV has Arc built in. Not all hdmi inputs has ARC. Check the manual to see which hdmi inputs has arc. For example my Samsung TV has ARC only on HDMi 2. Second, there is a very simple solution for that. Check if your tv has a toslink connection. If so all you have to do is to connect it to the receiver. Easy solution. I cant remember which one needs to be out and in. But works excelllent on my Panasonic without ARC. You dont need high def audio because there is none channel that broadcast high def audio like dts-ma or TrueHD, but at least you can get dolby digital and that audio is so much better than rca
post #285 of 863
Quote:
Originally Posted by sethman916 View Post

I read the manual. I understand how to enable it, but the manual says nothing about how it actually works. How does the SC-61 know to use the audio from the ARC and not the selected input. I see there is no input option for ARC.

Seems no one really knows this. I guess I will have to play with it when i get home and see if i can figure it out.
ARC is enabled only on one HDMI input from the TV. So if you have a Samsung TV; its 99% that ARC is on Hdmi input 2. If you have connected the hdmi output from your receiver to hdmi 1 on your samsung tv then the Arc will never work!
post #286 of 863
Quote:
Originally Posted by javygonx View Post

ARC is enabled only on one HDMI input from the TV. So if you have a Samsung TV; its 99% that ARC is on Hdmi input 2. If you have connected the hdmi output from your receiver to hdmi 1 on your samsung tv then the Arc will never work!

Somehow I also used HDMI2 as default in my Samsung TV, that's why I've always had ARC working. In these forums anyone can also find a thread for any TV in case of any doubt about the TV capabilities regarding the HDMI-CEC or ARC.
post #287 of 863
Quote:
Originally Posted by javygonx View Post

Arc not working? First of all keep in mind that only 1 HDMI from the TV has Arc built in. Not all hdmi inputs has ARC. Check the manual to see which hdmi inputs has arc. For example my Samsung TV has ARC only on HDMi 2. Second, there is a very simple solution for that. Check if your tv has a toslink connection. If so all you have to do is to connect it to the receiver. Easy solution. I cant remember which one needs to be out and in. But works excelllent on my Panasonic without ARC. You dont need high def audio because there is none channel that broadcast high def audio like dts-ma or TrueHD, but at least you can get dolby digital and that audio is so much better than rca

Yes I under stand this. On my LG the ARC is on HDMI1 and I had to move my cable from 4 to 1 and reprogram my harmony, but still no ARC. Its really not a huge deal since My BD offers the main smart features that we use. Just would be nice to be able to use the smart features of the TV and have sound. I will still verify when i have time with a direct cable with known 1.4 support. Then some day if i get a bored I will open everything up and replace the in wall HDMI cables. May just be that my passthrough doesnt support. I do have two passthroughs in the box on the wall. I might try the other one and see if it works there.
post #288 of 863
Are you able to use an apple airport express with an Ethernet cable to the back of the sc-61 to connect to download updates, use pandora, and stream music from my iPhone? Pioneer said no you need a wireless bridge? Isn't that what the airport express is?
post #289 of 863
Something to keep in mind is that 1.3/1.4 HDMI cables don't really exist. Those are connection specifications for the ports themselves, not the cable. The only thing that matters in regards to the cable is the bandwidth it is capable of, these are typically labeled as "high speed" and usually specifically say that they support bandwidth required by 3D, ARC, etc. It's just the 1.3/1.4 cable thing is a bit of a misnomer.

Carry on.
post #290 of 863
Quote:
Originally Posted by mab7 View Post

Are you able to use an apple airport express with an Ethernet cable to the back of the sc-61 to connect to download updates, use pandora, and stream music from my iPhone? Pioneer said no you need a wireless bridge? Isn't that what the airport express is?
I use the apple express as my eithernet connection. Works great
post #291 of 863
[QUOTEQuite right. I think Pioneer screwed the pooch on this one. The USB drive requirement is very sensitive. I've seen one gentleman have success Should make a poll. You and me no happiness to one success. I've hosed my NICard apparently trying to get this to update. I went into the SC-61 by 192.168.0.9 and found the update section there. Something bad happened and I lost the cards IP address. Installing the AVNavigator is an option if you install Win7 on your Mac. I did this and it runs fine. Still don't see the rceiver though since the card has no IP.
Good luck. Maybe you should take it to a service center...][/QUOTE]




Sorry, been out of pocket. Size really doesn't matter I found out. What you want to do is buy a simple drive, no software whatsoever on it. Turns out that the original drive I had bought had some security software on it. Even though I formatted it, it still wouldn't work. I went to Office Depot, told them I just wanted a thumb drive, nothing at all on there to begin with. Worked like a charm.
post #292 of 863
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss9001 View Post

^^
I don't think it should be doing this on its own, no. you may have a sticking remote or front panel button or something strange like that. you should be able to select the format/mode and have it stay that way. try a factory reset. this will mean doing MCACC & other settngs again but it may "free" up a glitch.

if that doesn't work, you may want to call Pioneer to see if you should take to auth shop or just return it for another one.

I agree it is strange. It happened a few times on channel 7. It just switches back and forth and everyone gets annoyed. Geek squad set up receiver that when you switch stations it picks how it will come through. I don't think it's a button stuck that I can see. I am also having issues when I change stations on occasion the plasma turns red or green and I have to **** tv off and on again. Call panasonic they say its cable or receiver. Ughhh
post #293 of 863
I just got my SC-61 yesterday. Setup was a breeze but there are a lot of features and options to look at. I have an old school Cerwin Vega's i refuse to get rid of and they just got an upgrade with this amp. 200 watts per channel at 4 ohms and we are at 4ohms. It is almost like it was made for these speakers.

I have a questions about the media server player. It seems default its setup on shuffle, which is neat so after I listen to a song of my choice it decides what to play next. So if it makes its choice can you ask it to try again if you want a random song from the remote. Also a page down feature would be nice when going through 400 artists.
post #294 of 863
That and an aluminum (as opposed to?) chassis. Probably not worth $200 premium to the average enthusiast. OTOH, if it can be had for less, it might be worth it.
post #295 of 863
Is there a way to set different crossovers for front and back channels on sc-61
post #296 of 863
The SC-63 has the aforementioned PC setup capability (not sure how that works, its not documented in the owners manual) and an aluminum chassis.
post #297 of 863
I have a 5.1 speaker system. When I try to rum full auto calibration I have to choose a speaker system setup. It shows normal wide or high using additional speakers. Which speaker system setup should I choose for 5.1 only. Or should I use zone 2 without zone 2 speakers. Either way it seems I am 2 speakers short.
post #298 of 863
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlb48 View Post

I have a 5.1 speaker system. When I try to rum full auto calibration I have to choose a speaker system setup. It shows normal wide or high using additional speakers. Which speaker system setup should I choose for 5.1 only. Or should I use zone 2 without zone 2 speakers. Either way it seems I am 2 speakers short.

Yes, zone 2 for 5.1. Connect your rear L/R speakers to the Surround L/R on the receiver....not Surround Back. You can use the Surround Back for another room if you want.
post #299 of 863
The MCACC will auto detect your speakers. Let it do the work. Don't try to outsmart it. wink.gif
post #300 of 863
Can someone please take pics of the sc-65 or sc-1522 gui and post it here? I was reading on pioneers website that this models has full color gui. Wondering if it also supports volume osd.
Edited by javygonx - 2/20/13 at 8:17am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Receivers, Amps, and Processors
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › The "Official" Pioneer Elite SC-61/-63 Owners Forum