Originally Posted by mkiedrowski
I am trying to perform a Software (Firmware) Update to the Pioneer SC-61 using a USB drive just like the instructions say but I keep getting a message that says there is something wrong with the file or the drive. I have the USB drive formatted for FAT-32 and the file is unzipped. Any suggestions. Thanks.
I had the same problems:
You can look for my posts. But in a nutshell when I was trying to get the card updated through the web interface it failed. Couldn't find it on the network anymore. So I'd recommend talking to your Pioneer service center and describing the problem. I think the fix is a NICard swap.
I got the SC-61 unit back from repair and set it up again. The Network functions are back. Different IP but that's ok. I had a USB drive plugged in and went to the Update section and found the drive had nothing on it so I swapped it for another drive (USB 2.0 Card Reader with SanDisk 512MB UltraII Stick) and restarted the update. Successful update in no time. Yea.
The repair shop said they replaced a component but didn't relate what it was. Can only guess but whatever it was, that was the culprit all along.
The unit's back, wired up and is updated. The app on my phone recognized it as SC-63. So I'm guessing the guys at Stewart Bros put a new NICard from Pioneer in. And the SC-63 card replaces the "hobbled" card of the -61. The update performed quickly and flawlessly.