or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP › The official Panasonic PT-AR100U Owners Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The official Panasonic PT-AR100U Owners Thread - Page 5

post #121 of 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by mym6 View Post

What kind of screen do you have BTW?

That's a long story but essentially a DIY. Originally it was a Saaria screen (bought in the 90's) with a gray screen material but I hated the look. I kept the frame and had a new screen made from 1.1 gain white material. No hot-spotting with excellent field of view.
post #122 of 144
Looks great. At least it certainly comes across in photos much better than my DIY BOC based screen.

Thanks again for the photo!
post #123 of 144
Support deems it to be within specs, so nothing will be done.
post #124 of 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by mym6 View Post

Support deems it to be within specs, so nothing will be done.

Well certainly not the kind of response one would hope for since color uniformity problems are more likely to occur with LCD projectors. However there is one more thing to consider - dust.

Here's a possibly related thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/572889/attention-lcd-owners-fix-your-color-uniformity-problems-by-cleaning
post #125 of 144
***New reading***

I measure the brightness of the AR100U bulb in VIVID CINEMA picture mode (eco setting) using my lux meter, taking the average of 9 points on the screen.

January (2014) reading: 930 lumens (2507 hours)

September (2013) reading: 946 lumens (2000 hours)

April (2013) reading: 1163 lumens (1510 hours).

November (2012) reading: 1300 lumens (1000 hours).

July (2012) reading: 1333 lumens (600 hours).

February (2012) original reading: 1417 lumens.

The latest measurement shows a fairly small loss over past 500 hours of 16 lumens...and a total loss of 487 lumens since the bulb was new.

This represents roughly a loss of 34% in brightness for 2500+ hours of use (the hours are calculated by the AR100U's internal clock).

This is unusually good and much better than the average among other projectors. I use the projector almost every day for 3-4 hours.

The next measurement will likely be the last since I will have reached the lamp replacement (3000 hours) recommendation - which based on my rate of use should be in May 2014.

An overview of how measurements are accomplished and what it means is covered nicely in this article: The Life of a Projector's Lamp.
post #126 of 144
That projector has more than a full time job! Hope you're paying overtime. biggrin.gif
post #127 of 144
Actually, I misread the years. That's still pretty good usage right there. Sounds like a strong bulb.
post #128 of 144
Indeed, so far it's been a very strong lamp. A lux meter (inexpensive and easily found on eBay) is invaluable for any hobbyist who wants to track the rate of decline of their projector light output over time, rather than just eyeballing.
post #129 of 144
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post

***New reading***

I measure the brightness of the AR100U bulb in VIVID CINEMA picture mode (eco setting) using my lux meter, taking the average of 9 points on the screen.

January (2014) reading: 930 lumens (2507 hours)

September (2013) reading: 946 lumens (2000 hours)

April (2013) reading: 1163 lumens (1510 hours).

November (2012) reading: 1300 lumens (1000 hours).

July (2012) reading: 1333 lumens (600 hours).

February (2012) original reading: 1417 lumens.

The latest measurement shows a fairly small loss over past 500 hours of 16 lumens...and a total loss of 487 lumens since the bulb was new.

This represents roughly a loss of 34% in brightness for 2500+ hours of use (the hours are calculated by the AR100U's internal clock).

This is unusually good and much better than the average among other projectors. I use the projector almost every day for 3-4 hours.

The next measurement will likely be the last since I will have reached the lamp replacement (3000 hours) recommendation - which based on my rate of use should be in May 2014.

An overview of how measurements are accomplished and what it means is covered nicely in this article: The Life of a Projector's Lamp.


Thanks for doing this, my ar100u is exactly around the same bulb life as yours and its very informative! I can definitely tell its a lot dimmer then when it was new. Will you be doing this until you bulb burns out? I'm saving your stats as you go. Hopefully we get 3-4k hours on these bulbs and it will justify the $300 price!
post #130 of 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Kelley View Post

Thanks for doing this, my ar100u is exactly around the same bulb life as yours and its very informative! I can definitely tell its a lot dimmer then when it was new. Will you be doing this until you bulb burns out? I'm saving your stats as you go. Hopefully we get 3-4k hours on these bulbs and it will justify the $300 price!

I'm glad you find the information useful. I'm a little surprised that the lamp only lost around 16 lumens during the past 500 hours, would almost seem like it's plateauing. Guess I'll know when I measure at 3000 hours.

It's tempting to think I can push this lamp past 3000 hours and 4000 hours seems feasible since the picture is pretty bright. Even at its current level it's still much brighter than my old Panasonic PT-AE900U with a new bulb.

But because I like the projector so much I'm already planning on buying a new bulb from Provantage. I don't want to risk popping/exploding the bulb and possibly damaging the electronics although the odds of that happening are small. Usually they die a more peaceful death and just refuse to fire.
post #131 of 144
Thread Starter 
Have you ever experienced your AR100u fans from automatically going up 100% speed even while in eco-mode? I notice mine getting very warm especially during the winter when my furnace goes on, causing the projector fans to speed up and quiet down several times within an hour.

I clean my filter out every 700hr's with an air compressor but i'm thinking there could be some dust buildup on the exhaust fans. I'm thinking of taking it apart to make sure they're clean. Anyone done this? I don't want to break, or expose any dust between the lens and the LCD, hoping that's enclosed.
post #132 of 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Kelley View Post

Have you ever experienced your AR100u fans from automatically going up 100% speed even while in eco-mode? I notice mine getting very warm especially during the winter when my furnace goes on, causing the projector fans to speed up and quiet down several times within an hour.

I clean my filter out every 700hr's with an air compressor but i'm thinking there could be some dust buildup on the exhaust fans. I'm thinking of taking it apart to make sure they're clean. Anyone done this? I don't want to break, or expose any dust between the lens and the LCD, hoping that's enclosed.

We're experiencing a brutal winter in the Great Lakes region and my furnace is running constantly it seems. However my heating registers are across the room from where the projector is ceiling mounted so I have not had this problem at all.

Our wall thermostat is set at 70 degrees and the air at the ceiling may be a few degrees warmer but I don't think a temperature of say 72 degrees is going to be the problem. Some people run their projectors in the summertime when it's much warmer without issue. So what's happening with your unit is a bit of a puzzle. Also remember the AR100U has 5 cooling fans.
post #133 of 144
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post

We're experiencing a brutal winter in the Great Lakes region and my furnace is running constantly it seems. However my heating registers are across the room from where the projector is ceiling mounted so I have not had this problem at all.

Our wall thermostat is set at 70 degrees and the air at the ceiling may be a few degrees warmer but I don't think a temperature of say 72 degrees is going to be the problem. Some people run their projectors in the summertime when it's much warmer without issue. So what's happening with your unit is a bit of a puzzle. Also remember the AR100U has 5 cooling fans.
What view mode are you using? We keep outs on (normal)
post #134 of 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Kelley View Post

What view mode are you using? We keep outs on (normal)

I almost always run my AR100U in Vivid Cinema (eco-mode). I've calibrated the REC-709 mode for movies, but I don't use it.
post #135 of 144
I got my pt-ar100u in april last year and havent had any problems really except lately i've noticed these sort of ghost/translucent horizontal lines that scroll up or down the screen sometimes, especially when watching dark scenes. I can't remember if it occurs just on the ps4 while watching a movie or also during regular cable watching. Does anyone else have this problem? Thinking maybe its hdmi cable because I had to add another hdmi cable because i didn't have this problem on the ps3 which is also hooked up.
post #136 of 144
Also is their any maintenance that you guys do? Been 1300 hours or so and haven't really done anything to the filters, etc.
post #137 of 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSpecTypeR View Post

I got my pt-ar100u in april last year and havent had any problems really except lately i've noticed these sort of ghost/translucent horizontal lines that scroll up or down the screen sometimes, especially when watching dark scenes. I can't remember if it occurs just on the ps4 while watching a movie or also during regular cable watching. Does anyone else have this problem? Thinking maybe its hdmi cable because I had to add another hdmi cable because i didn't have this problem on the ps3 which is also hooked up.

The scrolling bars you are seeing sound similar to hum bars - meaning an electrical disturbance is being introduced somewhere in your signal path. Google the term 'hum bars' for more info. Also 'ground loop'.

I would try to isolate the problem by first making sure the AR100U is working okay. Disconnect all of the video cables and then check the display by projecting the test patterns built into the AR100U - the test patterns are in the menu under 'options'. Instructions are also on page 70 of the owner's manual. If everything looks good with no scrolling bars then the problem is external.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSpecTypeR View Post

Also is their any maintenance that you guys do? Been 1300 hours or so and haven't really done anything to the filters, etc.

The only maintenance required is to vacuum clean the foam filter and electrostatic filter on a regular basis. I do mine every 500 hours - some do it more often.
post #138 of 144
Had this on the "old" thread but perhaps it's more appropriate here.

Well I love the AR 100 but I guess I can count on spending $300 a year on a bulb unless I get a new PJ...which will prolly be the case anyway, soon. If you can start getting bulbs with twice the life that's obviously $150 annually, assuming a comparable $300 lamp cost. In a few years it starts to legitimize a ~$2,000 higher-performing alternative.

At just under a year of ownership I'm up to 2600+ hours and that's with 2+ months outside and ~10 hours a week viewing between August and the World Series. And while it's still fine with some light control, it's noticeably dimmer than last February. When it gets moved to a more permanent indoor installation surely I'll be near 3,000 hours within a year with my "tv-style" watching habits and a 3 year old home with my guidance-counselor wife during the summer.

For as much as I'd like to keep it for dedicated outdoor viewing and get another for inside I simply cannot justify it as I have but 4-5 months out of the year for such activity in Wisconsin. Sigh.

Oh well. Great PJ, it's just the pinch of 300 fazools every twelve months for me.

Take care, all.

James
post #139 of 144
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastermaybe View Post

Had this on the "old" thread but perhaps it's more appropriate here.

Well I love the AR 100 but I guess I can count on spending $300 a year on a bulb unless I get a new PJ...which will prolly be the case anyway, soon. If you can start getting bulbs with twice the life that's obviously $150 annually, assuming a comparable $300 lamp cost. In a few years it starts to legitimize a ~$2,000 higher-performing alternative.

At just under a year of ownership I'm up to 2600+ hours and that's with 2+ months outside and ~10 hours a week viewing between August and the World Series. And while it's still fine with some light control, it's noticeably dimmer than last February. When it gets moved to a more permanent indoor installation surely I'll be near 3,000 hours within a year with my "tv-style" watching habits and a 3 year old home with my guidance-counselor wife during the summer.

For as much as I'd like to keep it for dedicated outdoor viewing and get another for inside I simply cannot justify it as I have but 4-5 months out of the year for such activity in Wisconsin. Sigh.

Oh well. Great PJ, it's just the pinch of 300 fazools every twelve months for me.

Take care, all.

James

Umm You shouldn't get anything with a bulb including any projectors in that case. That's a lot of use. You might want to look into large LED's or something else.
post #140 of 144
Ummm, no. Show me an 120-150" LED that's not 5-10x the cost of this projector. A 60-70" LED is not a subsitute, I already own a 60" Kuro.

And even if my use is abover average at 6 1/2 hrs a day if you cut it 50% you're still talking about a $300 bulb every 18 months.

The fact of the matter is that there are a ton of options out there with 5-6,000 hour bulb lifes, the AR100 is not one of them.

Again, it's ok, the pj is still great, but when you begin to understand this is really a "video" projector aimed at living rooms that typically see more viewing than bona fide man caves and theaters, it would be nice if those hour figures were reversed.

Until the cost of LARGE (not 60 or 70") panels come down dramtically, I and others will still continue to pick up these awesome $1200 light cannons and just live with the bulb cost. Again, small price to pay for what you get.

James
post #141 of 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastermaybe View Post

Had this on the "old" thread but perhaps it's more appropriate here.

Well I love the AR 100 but I guess I can count on spending $300 a year on a bulb unless I get a new PJ...which will prolly be the case anyway, soon. If you can start getting bulbs with twice the life that's obviously $150 annually, assuming a comparable $300 lamp cost. In a few years it starts to legitimize a ~$2,000 higher-performing alternative.

At just under a year of ownership I'm up to 2600+ hours and that's with 2+ months outside and ~10 hours a week viewing between August and the World Series. And while it's still fine with some light control, it's noticeably dimmer than last February. When it gets moved to a more permanent indoor installation surely I'll be near 3,000 hours within a year with my "tv-style" watching habits and a 3 year old home with my guidance-counselor wife during the summer.

For as much as I'd like to keep it for dedicated outdoor viewing and get another for inside I simply cannot justify it as I have but 4-5 months out of the year for such activity in Wisconsin. Sigh.

Oh well. Great PJ, it's just the pinch of 300 fazools every twelve months for me.

Take care, all.

James

Wow James, 2600+ hours in one year! You have caught up to my usage (almost 2700 hours) and I've owned the AR100U for 2 years. I use it regularly 3-4 hours a night, rarely during the day.

I'm also really enjoying my AR100U and if you've read my post #125 on light measurements you have seen that the lumen output has only dropped 34% since the lamp was new.

I hardly notice the drop in brightness which will make ordering my new lamp in May (based on my current use) difficult. I knew the lamp would need a replacement at 3000 hours so I'm okay with that. I've ordered several lamps for my other LCD projectors over the years and by the end of the lamp use knew that a replacement was necessary (too dim). But with the AR100U the picture is still bright so swapping out the lamp will seem premature. At any rate I've budgeted for the replacement.

A fellow Wisconsinite? Hope your snow-thrower is gassed up. wink.gif
post #142 of 144
Hi G:

Ha ha re the snow- thankfully there's an upside to your inlaws living next door...one has a plow on his truck, lol.

Yep, make no mistake about it, it's pretty much our "tv" and is on from 4PM-9/10PM, Monday through Friday and another 15-20 hours on the weekend. I'd bet we get 45-50 on it a week...well OBVIOUSLY we do, lol (50x52 = 2600). Having a little one around jacks up those hours...especially in the Summer when there's the AM in there and earlier afternoon hours. Doesn't mean we're all watching, all the time, of course...I think we're like many others: it just goes on and is "there". Prolly not the greatest of habits, I realize. tongue.gif

Re the brightness: I guess I'll really know when I get my new bulb, but it just seems to me that it fares noticeably worse than it did with any ambient light these days...make no mistake about it, it still is plenty bright in as 90-100% dark room. I'm sure there's a bit of longevity variance between the thousands of bulbs produced in the first place, so no biggie.

I'm also sure that the ultra bright capabilities of the bulb prolly have something to do with the more limited rating, too. I can easily see these 5, 6, and 7K ratings from other PJ's stemming from lower brightness levels.

Enjoy the snow, I'm happy we're "just" 10 degrees below normal today.

James
Edited by mastermaybe - 2/17/14 at 8:00am
post #143 of 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post

***New reading***

I measure the brightness of the AR100U bulb in VIVID CINEMA picture mode (eco setting) using my lux meter, taking the average of 9 points on the screen.

January (2014) reading: 930 lumens (2507 hours)

...

The next measurement will likely be the last since I will have reached the lamp replacement (3000 hours) recommendation - which based on my rate of use should be in May 2014.

I am also in the same time frama as you and wonder, where will you get your new bulb from? Will you get a manufacturer bulb ($350-400), or a less expensive (~$150) manufacturer?
post #144 of 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmkaz View Post

I am also in the same time frama as you and wonder, where will you get your new bulb from? Will you get a manufacturer bulb ($350-400), or a less expensive (~$150) manufacturer?

I've zoomed up to 2800 hours since my last measurement so I'll likely order one sometime in April/May when I reach 3000 hours.

The price on the Panasonic OEM lamp has actually dropped in price ($11) since a year ago at Provantage.

http://www.provantage.com/panasonic-et-laa110~7PANP0T6.htm

I will be ordering here. It's selling for $300.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP › The official Panasonic PT-AR100U Owners Thread