or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming › Most kid friendly media server
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Most kid friendly media server

post #1 of 11
Thread Starter 
RIght now in my main viewing location I'm using an AIOS PIVOS which for the most part I like. I'm thinking for Christmas I'm going to set up a new TV for the kids but it will not have input other than from the media server. I'm curious as to opinions for the cheapest and most kid friendly solution out there. All that would need to be done would be playing of .avi or .mkv files. If at all possible I would like to be able to set it up so that it can only see shares set up for the kids if I want.
post #2 of 11
Almost any of the boxes out there will do this now. If you go with something like the popbox v8 you can have a kids only yamj jukebox, Same with going with a popcorn hour just share the kids folder and make a jukebox of that folder so it displays cover art. Dune will function the same way.

If you dont want cover art any of the current players will allow you to just add one share. If you are worried about them getting into other shares just make sure to password protect them
post #3 of 11
Thread Starter 
It sounds like my needs are pretty easy to meet. Looks like popbox, popcorn hour and dune are more expensive than I thought. When I originally bought the AIOS I had looked between that and the WD LIVE, which both run between $70-100. Are there other options in that range? What would I benefit by say upgrading my main room to the more expensive option and giving them the AIOS?
post #4 of 11
If you want a player with a Jukebox or media wall, you'll have to pay a little bit more. The less expensive streamers will FUNCTION the way you want, but will not give you the pretty UI. Another option with a great UI (the best built-in UI, no other programs needed) is the Boxee Box. You can probably score a used one of these on Ebay for around $100 or so, maybe less.
post #5 of 11
Another option would be to go with something like the Roku with Plex Client and have your PC running Plex Media Server.
post #6 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishdoom View Post

If you want a player with a Jukebox or media wall, you'll have to pay a little bit more. The less expensive streamers will FUNCTION the way you want, but will not give you the pretty UI. Another option with a great UI (the best built-in UI, no other programs needed) is the Boxee Box. You can probably score a used one of these on Ebay for around $100 or so, maybe less.
.


www.woot.com had the Boxee Box for $105 last week. You can find a used PCH-A210 for $120 - $150. I bought a PCH-A210 from ebay a few months ago for the master bedroom, and it has been solid streaming movies. I bought it for $120 + shipping was like $30 dollars. I think the PCH-A200 / 210 is a excellent player if you can find one for less that $200 I would suggested.

Dune media players are solid and reliable, but I do agree they are over priced. However, if you don't mind not having HD sound, the Dune TV series are pretty good. I've been thinking of getting two of them for my kids rooms. I'm actually thinking of selling my PCH-A210 and getting 3 Dune TV's. That way I can stop running and updating two different jukeboxes. It would be easier just running the Zappiti jukebox for the whole house.
post #7 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGus748s View Post

.
www.woot.com had the Boxee Box for $105 last week. You can find a used PCH-A210 for $120 - $150. I bought a PCH-A210 from ebay a few months ago for the master bedroom, and it has been solid streaming movies. I bought it for $120 + shipping was like $30 dollars. I think the PCH-A200 / 210 is a excellent player if you can find one for less that $200 I would suggested.
Dune media players are solid and reliable, but I do agree they are over priced. However, if you don't mind not having HD sound, the Dune TV series are pretty good. I've been thinking of getting two of them for my kids rooms. I'm actually thinking of selling my PCH-A210 and getting 3 Dune TV's. That way I can stop running and updating two different jukeboxes. It would be easier just running the Zappiti jukebox for the whole house.

yamj/eversion is an option the newest release works on dune, so you can keep using yamj if that is what you are using.
post #8 of 11
Quote:
yamj/eversion is an option the newest release works on dune, so you can keep using yamj if that is what you are using.
Didn't know about it. Where is accident continuing discussion in support of Eversion these days?
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfelite View Post

yamj/eversion is an option the newest release works on dune, so you can keep using yamj if that is what you are using.

Negative. Zappiti is much better and easier to maintain. So, no. Furthermore, accident doesn't own a Dune player. He depends on Dune users to provide feedback and bug issues. I don't have the time nor will I make time to test it.
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brajesh View Post

Didn't know about it. Where is accident continuing discussion in support of Eversion these days?

Its on the mpc forums.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGus748s View Post

Negative. Zappiti is much better and easier to maintain. So, no. Furthermore, accident doesn't own a Dune player. He depends on Dune users to provide feedback and bug issues. I don't have the time nor will I make time to test it.

Do you have that many problems with yamj? I have not changed a single thing in my yamj for months and I get 99% correct titles and images every time, Now I might use some more advanced settings inside yamj then most but its pretty simple.

The last two people that used dune/eversion said it worked fine. So i think playback is at least working fine and the skins are working normally do not much more to test.
post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfelite View Post

Its on the mpc forums.
Do you have that many problems with yamj? I have not changed a single thing in my yamj for months and I get 99% correct titles and images every time, Now I might use some more advanced settings inside yamj then most but its pretty simple.
The last two people that used dune/eversion said it worked fine. So i think playback is at least working fine and the skins are working normally do not much more to test.

There has been a several issues that I've had with YAMJ/ Eversion scrapping the wrong information specially with TV Shows. However, I finally figure out how to set up YAYMAN, and that has work well for any editing that I need to make. However, that is just another piece of software I've got to use. I would like to have one Jukebox for everything, and I think having Zappiti throughout the house would be the best set up since my wife and kids know how to use it. I don't have anything against YAMJ / Eversion, but I like how easy and simple Zappiti is.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming › Most kid friendly media server