or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Home Entertainment & Theater Builder › General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms › Need some guidance on upgrading my Home Theater Receiver
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Need some guidance on upgrading my Home Theater Receiver

post #1 of 16
Thread Starter 
In my current theater set up (5.1), I have an old Yamaha RX-V1200 that pushes my current peripherals with no problem.

However, I have a Western Digital WD TV Live that can be connected to the Yamaha, but I for some reason, there is no audio.

As a result, I've been streaming video via the WD TV Live connected directly to the TV. Clearly, not very good use of the theater.

My current set up includes DVD Player, Dish Receiver, TV, 2 Atlantic Technology 4200e (L/R Front)
1 Atlantic Technology 4200e (Center), 2 Atlantic Technology 6.3e (Ceiling), Mirage Sub. Nothing more.

All I want to do is add the WD TV Live to the mix.

I figure this is a good excuse to upgrade the receiver so I wanted to hear your thoughts on the Yamaha Yamaha RX-V673.

http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-RX-V673-7-2-Channel-Network-Receiver/dp/B007JF85WE/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=SG2O0H1VLKGD&coliid=I2DDX6OYLLPSQY

I narrowed it down to this receiver based on Amazon and Crutchfield reviews for receivers at this price point.


THanks!
Edited by roadratx - 9/11/12 at 5:10pm
post #2 of 16
Not familiar with the WD thing or your AVR but if everything else works through the AVR but this WD unit's audio, why not figure that out first? How do you have the WD connected when trying to use your present setup? As to reviews at Amazon and Crutchfield, meh. What did you find here on AVS?
post #3 of 16
I have a wdlive and I've always had audio... It was never surround as I didn't use hdmi but it made noise. When shopping a new receiver make sure it has the features you need cuz at that level ~500 they all sound the same.
post #4 of 16
If you cannot get the WD to pass audio directly to the Yamaha, you might also consider trying a $5 optical audio cable from Monoprice to pass that audio from the TV to the Yamaha. Could work and save you a lot of trouble and money (unless, of course, you're just looking for an excuse to upgrade).
post #5 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBWIII View Post

$5 optical audio cable from Monoprice to pass that audio from the TV to the Yamaha.

Thanks. I'm definitely not trying to just find an excuse....too much hassle to change out the core piece of HT equipment and reprogramming my Harmony remote.

Did I read your post correctly....optical audio FROM tv to Yamaha? I didnt realize that was possible.
post #6 of 16
Yes, as long as your TV has an optical audio out jack on the back, and you're passing a digital signal to the TV. What model TV?
post #7 of 16
Be a bit careful about using the optical jack from the TV. Many sets, especially those a couple of years old will only pass the L+R stereo channels through the optical jack and you lose the surround information.
post #8 of 16
Ok lets slow down a second. There is no reason that the WD live wont push audio to the receiver. Lets check how you have it hooked up. Are you using the composite output to the reciever (yellow red and white) or are you using component (red blue and green)? are you trying to use the optical at all? I would recommend trying to use the optical from the WD Live to the receiver and then go into the menus on the WD live and make sure the digital output is selected. This is assuming this is the newest version of the WD live.
post #9 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick_si View Post

Ok lets slow down a second. There is no reason that the WD live wont push audio to the receiver. Lets check how you have it hooked up. Are you using the composite output to the reciever (yellow red and white) or are you using component (red blue and green)? are you trying to use the optical at all? I would recommend trying to use the optical from the WD Live to the receiver and then go into the menus on the WD live and make sure the digital output is selected. This is assuming this is the newest version of the WD live.

I have not tried optical. I am trying composite (red, white, yellow) to connect the (latest generation) WD Live to the Receiver. Will this work or do I need an optical cable?
post #10 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadratx View Post

I have not tried optical. I am trying composite (red, white, yellow) to connect the (latest generation) WD Live to the Receiver. Will this work or do I need an optical cable?

Holy cow this is bizarre. I cant even connect the WD directly to the Receiver for video or audio now. I connected it to the V-AUX composite inputs up front, changed the video source and nothing. Tried the cbl/sat composite inputs in back, changed the input source and nothing. Any suggestions?
post #11 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadratx View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick_si View Post

Ok lets slow down a second. There is no reason that the WD live wont push audio to the receiver. Lets check how you have it hooked up. Are you using the composite output to the reciever (yellow red and white) or are you using component (red blue and green)? are you trying to use the optical at all? I would recommend trying to use the optical from the WD Live to the receiver and then go into the menus on the WD live and make sure the digital output is selected. This is assuming this is the newest version of the WD live.

I have not tried optical. I am trying composite (red, white, yellow) to connect the (latest generation) WD Live to the Receiver. Will this work or do I need an optical cable?

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadratx View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadratx View Post

I have not tried optical. I am trying composite (red, white, yellow) to connect the (latest generation) WD Live to the Receiver. Will this work or do I need an optical cable?

Holy cow this is bizarre. I cant even connect the WD directly to the Receiver for video or audio now. I connected it to the V-AUX composite inputs up front, changed the video source and nothing. Tried the cbl/sat composite inputs in back, changed the input source and nothing. Any suggestions?

Do you need to tell your receiver what type of input you're using? Or does it auto detect? Why use composite at all? Optical would give you better audio at least.
post #12 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post

Do you need to tell your receiver what type of input you're using? Or does it auto detect? Why use composite at all? Optical would give you better audio at least.

It auto detects, but I also tried manually switching. I havent tried optical because I cant even get video. Ughh.
post #13 of 16
1. How do you have the receiver connected to the TV? Component or composite?
2. Before, was the receiver sending the WD Live's video signal to the TV (even when you aren't hearing the audio)?

Also, have you tried resetting the receiver to its default settings?
post #14 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBWIII View Post

1. How do you have the receiver connected to the TV? Component or composite?
2. Before, was the receiver sending the WD Live's video signal to the TV (even when you aren't hearing the audio)?
Also, have you tried resetting the receiver to its default settings?

1. TV is connected with Component
2. Yes, when we initially hooked up the WD, we got video, but not audio.

I havent tried resetting the receiver to its default settings.
post #15 of 16
sometimes receivers won't output through different means, (input composite output component doesn't work) It sounds like maybe it worked in the past... don't know why it would stop now. try hooking your receiver to your tv using composite (yellow) and see if it works then.

You are really limiting the output of the wd live by not using HDMI. No HD no surround sound, I would get a new receiver. Give yourself a HDMI makeover.
post #16 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick_si View Post

sometimes receivers won't output through different means, (input composite output component doesn't work) It sounds like maybe it worked in the past... don't know why it would stop now. try hooking your receiver to your tv using composite (yellow) and see if it works then.
You are really limiting the output of the wd live by not using HDMI. No HD no surround sound, I would get a new receiver. Give yourself a HDMI makeover.

AGREED. Can you help me in this post: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1429798/5-years-since-my-last-theater-upgrade-what-would-you-do
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Home Entertainment & Theater Builder › General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms › Need some guidance on upgrading my Home Theater Receiver