or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Software › Led Zeppelin: 'Celebration Day' coming to Blu Ray NOVEMBER 19, 2012. Looks awesomely promising!!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Led Zeppelin: 'Celebration Day' coming to Blu Ray NOVEMBER 19, 2012. Looks awesomely promising!! - Page 3

post #61 of 112
Thread Starter 
Full song release of kashmir.

These guys look like they've been ready to do this for a long time! What I wouldn't give to see them live on tour now. But this will do.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PG49QZw0Kc4&feature=player_embedded
post #62 of 112
Good job, best thread on the forum....
post #63 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland View Post

Full song release of kashmir.
These guys look like they've been ready to do this for a long time! What I wouldn't give to see them live on tour now. But this will do.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PG49QZw0Kc4&feature=player_embedded

Awesome, thanks.
post #64 of 112
Seems this dropped in price (21%) to $29.99 - joy!
post #65 of 112
Thread Starter 
Mine had shipped from Amazon!
post #66 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland View Post

Mine had shipped from Amazon!

Report back after you watch it. I am still on the fence with buying this TBH and it is not available for rental through Netflix.
post #67 of 112
Review:

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Led-Zeppelin-Celebration-Day-Deluxe-Blu-ray/56148/#Review

"Has it been worth the wait? Most definitely. This amazing performance has been captured with a wealth of high definition imagery from a variety of angles, and with overall superb sounding lossless audio. Celebration Day is being released in several different editions, so you probably want to check through all of the options before deciding which one to get, but if you're a Zeppelin fan, there's no question you are going to want this. This particular edition offers the entire concert on two CDs as well as a really fantastic bonus DVD with great (if hard to see) rehearsal footage. Highly recommended."

Video: 4 out of 5
Audio: 4.5 out of 5

From http://ultimateclassicrock.com/led-zeppelin-celebration-day-formats/

Led Zeppelin to Release ‘Celebration Day’ in Six Different Formats

1. The standard edition is a one DVD or
2. Blu-ray and two CD set, but the
3. deluxe edition includes bonus video from rehearsals and news footage from the BBC.
4. There is also a music-only CD set and a
5. music-only Blu-ray that features high-resolution HD sound but no video.
6. Fans of vinyl can also purchase the 16-song set on three LPs, and the whole thing can also be downloaded at digital retailers.
Edited by eweiss - 11/18/12 at 2:50pm
post #68 of 112
Any idea if the vinyl was pressed from high-rez digital files (24/96, 24/192) or if they just pressed the CD (16/44.1) files?
post #69 of 112
Thread Starter 
Great find!
post #70 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by eweiss View Post


From http://ultimateclassicrock.com/led-zeppelin-celebration-day-formats/

Led Zeppelin to Release ‘Celebration Day’ in Six Different Formats

1. The standard edition is a one DVD or
2. Blu-ray and two CD set, but the
3. deluxe edition includes bonus video from rehearsals and news footage from the BBC.
4. There is also a music-only CD set and a
5. music-only Blu-ray that features high-resolution HD sound but no video.
6. Fans of vinyl can also purchase the 16-song set on three LPs, and the whole thing can also be downloaded at digital retailers.

^ That's a hot mess... Amazon has a much easier to understand breakdown of the different sets on their product pages.
post #71 of 112
Looking for some thoughts on the AQ on the BD thanks!
post #72 of 112
Thread Starter 
I'm popping mine in tonight. I will post back after I go through the tracks. Cannot wait!
post #73 of 112
I just picked up from EBay for $20.94 w/shipping. Amazon sucks for pricing!
post #74 of 112
Just picked up the BD/CD version (no dvd) from HMV .... looking forward to an epic audition on my Buttkicker-equipped, 17-speaker, and tri-subbed 140-in screen setup cool.gif

To quote Maximus from 'Gladiator' -- "At my signal, unleash hell."
post #75 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey1 View Post

Looking for some thoughts on the AQ on the BD thanks!

+1

And what kind of recording/mix is it? These concerts are more subjective than anything and what one person likes, another wont. Every time I buy a concert on blu ray, I feel like it is such a gamble as far as the recording/mix. So my question to those with this disc is the recording/mix more along the lines of the super clean, clear soundboard type like Police Certifiable, Talking Heads Stop Making Sense Studio Mix, Peter Gabriel Growing Up, Dream Theater Live in Budokan, etc.......or is it more the "lets try and recreate being at the actual show and in the actual venue" with hall reverb, lots of audience etc.......a perfect example of this is Rush Snakes and Arrows. So which type of recording/mix is this Zep? If you had to compare it to another blu ray concert in your collection strictly from a recording/mix standpoint, what would you compare it to?


Thanks!
post #76 of 112
Thread Starter 
Up to Dazed and Confused. Best track so far!
The audio is great but a lIttle soft in some if the lower frequencies (bass drums, etc) but the guitar riffs just scream and Robert Plant carries things awesomely. A lot if discrete effects in Dazed[i/]. Jimmy Page is a mad man on this track!

Stairway up next. DTS MA track is louder, better than the LPCM.
post #77 of 112
Keep em' coming!



...not that it really matters, anything Zep is a day 1 blind-buy for me.
post #78 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland View Post

The audio is great but a lIttle soft in some if the lower frequencies (bass drums, etc) .

Uhhgg.....this is probably my biggest pet peeve with concert recordings. frown.gif Really wish Netflix had this for rent so I could test fly it first now.
post #79 of 112
Thread Starter 
Mini review:

The audio at times was stellar and at others a little muddy and bright.. My Queen Live from Montreal Blu Ray is my reference for audio for rock bands. Queen was a crisper recording but this one was no slouch. The sound space was large and the dynamics were good... But not as good as I think they could've been as sometimes things seemed a bit flat. A bit on the bright side on occasion, I recall in an interview with Jimmy Page (after the concert) where he said it would be a 'nightmare' to mix. However, on the whole this was a solid production.

Robert Plant couldn't quite belt it out like he used on a couple tracks (but hell, he's 30 years older) but he came to rock the crowd and he did! His vocals really energized the music with Jimmy Page's amazing guitar. Jimmy hasn't lost a step. They really played great together and truly enjoyed seeing Jason Bonham play along (particularly on the last track).

That said, it was an electrifying concert that delivered the goods and then some for even a modest Zeppelin fan. I'm very pleased! Could it have been better? Of course but overall I'd give it a solid B+ for the audio. Same B+ with the video... And an A+ for the group in delivering a concert for the ages!

Highly recommended!
post #80 of 112
For the audio fans, Celebration Day is now also on HDTracks at 24/48. Does the video BluRay (not the audio only BD) also have 24/48 hi-res audio? Does it say anywhere on the cover or inside the cover?

Can the audio tracks of the BD video be ripped using DVDA extractor? Most important to me is getting the hi res audio in a portable form (FLACs or some other loss less format) but if I can get the video too that would be good.
post #81 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbtv View Post

For the audio fans, Celebration Day is now also on HDTracks at 24/48. Does the video BluRay (not the audio only BD) also have 24/48 hi-res audio? Does it say anywhere on the cover or inside the cover?
Can the audio tracks of the BD video be ripped using DVDA extractor? Most important to me is getting the hi res audio in a portable form (FLACs or some other loss less format) but if I can get the video too that would be good.

The Blu Ray video has 16/48 PCM stereo. The DTS HD is listed as 48khz by my Oppo but I don't know if it's 16 or 24 bit.
post #82 of 112
Just an FYI... the Deluxe version with the Blu-ray, 2 audio cds and bonus rehearsal footage dvd appears to be very hard to find in most big box stores. I lucked out and found the only one among a large stack of the lesser packages at a local Best Buy after hitting almost half a dozen BB's, Targets and a Walmart. All were in the cd sized box configurations, no dvd/br sized cases.

Also, my BB price matched Amazon's current price which saved me about 4 bucks.
post #83 of 112
I'm having a very weird problem with my copy

I'm in Europe so my set of 2CD+BR+DVD may just have run into regional problems since I have a US Panasonic BD-55 (I think the name is)

The Blu-ray does not give any indication of regional coding when I pop it in. The meny pops up in a few seconds with sound. I can choose between PCM Stereo and 5.1 DTS-HD MA and booth will play. However I get no actual video playing. Doesn't matter if I go through the concert tab or choose individual tracks. The screen is pitch black anytime I don't press meny.

Also anytime I pick a new track on the meny I get a still picture (from the video, I know what the stage looks like since I was there) for about half a second and then it goes black again.

In previous cases a regional coding has prevented discs to play at all just getting a warning message.

The bonus DVD from this set says cannot play indicating that it is region coded.

Anyone seen a problem like this ever? Clearly I shouldn't see the menys and hear sound if it's a region issue?

Unfortunatly I have no other blu-ray or dvd hooked up at the moment so I can't do any more checking.

And yeah, I didn't get the audio only version.
post #84 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Partyslammer View Post

Just an FYI... the Deluxe version with the Blu-ray, 2 audio cds and bonus rehearsal footage dvd appears to be very hard to find in most big box stores. I lucked out and found the only one among a large stack of the lesser packages at a local Best Buy after hitting almost half a dozen BB's, Targets and a Walmart. All were in the cd sized box configurations, no dvd/br sized cases.
Also, my BB price matched Amazon's current price which saved me about 4 bucks.

I concur. My local Wal-Mart didn't have ANY copies and I went to three Best Buy's before finding the deluxe version.
post #85 of 112
Our Best Buy had the deluxe BD + 2 CDs + DVD bonus features/rehearsal package, but it was $35.99.
post #86 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

Uhhgg.....this is probably my biggest pet peeve with concert recordings. frown.gif Really wish Netflix had this for rent so I could test fly it first now.

+1.....hope this isn't true, I hate those screaming guitars and weak bass and drum kit mixes.
post #87 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey1 View Post

+1.....hope this isn't true, I hate those screaming guitars and weak bass and drum kit mixes.


You know exactly what I like as far as these concert recording/mixes go as all your recs have been right up my alley. wink.gif I was hoping you would take one for the team, grab this Zep show and tell me if I should buy it........ biggrin.gif
post #88 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

You know exactly what I like as far as these concert recording/mixes go as all your recs have been right up my alley. wink.gif I was hoping you would take one for the team, grab this Zep show and tell me if I should buy it........ biggrin.gif

Hey Todd, Happy Thanksgiving!

LOL, I may just risk buying this one to see for my self what the AQ is like but I have so many "coasters" done in my HT it is getting old and a waste of cash of course. Probably will pick it up unless I hear a lot more neutral or negative reviews.
My problem is that even when some folks say that a certain disc sounds good or great I hate the sound, not sure if it is my ears, my room or my rig:D
post #89 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey1 View Post

Hey Todd, Happy Thanksgiving!
LOL, I may just risk buying this one to see for my self what the AQ is like but I have so many "coasters" done in my HT it is getting old and a waste of cash of course. Probably will pick it up unless I hear a lot more neutral or negative reviews.
My problem is that even when some folks say that a certain disc sounds good or great I hate the sound, not sure if it is my ears, my room or my rig:D

Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family as well! smile.gif

I feel the exact same way. I think these concert recordings/mixes are way more subjective than anything. Some people like the mix tilted more one way or the other as far as lows/highs, some like a mix that recreates being at the show, some like me prefer a mix that focuses on the music and having all the various elements front and center in the recording/mix, etc...... You and me are sticklers for a great and solid low end it seems as we need to have that bass drum and/or bass guitar firmly planted in the mix with the high end kept in check.............all this is why it is hard as you say to put much weight behind any opinion from those you are not familiar with as far as what they like and that is why one of us needs to buy this disc and report back to the other since we do seem to be in alignment with each other on this! smile.gif I might just take a chance on it as well if I get some holiday gift cards or it goes on sale. The other thing is it is hard to know how much people are letting the hype of this type of release influence their judgment which all of us have been guilty of at one point or another. It is after all Led Zep and a reunion show and all that.........BIG time hype behind this one which could be blinding subjectivity for some.

I am also curious how the new Coldplay blu ray sounds and is another gamble it seems.
Edited by Toe - 11/22/12 at 9:38am
post #90 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland View Post

Mini review:
The audio at times was stellar and at others a little muddy and bright.. The sound space was large and the dynamics were good... But not as good as I think they could've been as sometimes things seemed a bit flat. A bit on the bright side on occasion, I recall in an interview with Jimmy Page (after the concert) where he said it would be a 'nightmare' to mix. However, on the whole this was a solid production.
Robert Plant couldn't quite belt it out like he used on a couple tracks (but hell, he's 30 years older) but he came to rock the crowd and he did! His vocals really energized the music with Jimmy Page's amazing guitar. Jimmy hasn't lost a step. They really played great together and truly enjoyed seeing Jason Bonham play along (particularly on the last track).
That said, it was an electrifying concert that delivered the goods and then some for even a modest Zeppelin fan. I'm very pleased! Could it have been better? Of course but overall I'd give it a solid B+ for the audio. Same B+ with the video... And an A+ for the group in delivering a concert for the ages!
Highly recommended!
very cool, thanks!

I just bought the bonus package (ie. CD, DVD, BD), I think a priceless value. So far have listened to the CD, definitely a great show, nice current takes on very famous music. Wish I were there myself. Can't wait to watch the BD on my system.

Are you still using your Denon DVD-3800BDCI?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Blu-ray Software
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Software › Led Zeppelin: 'Celebration Day' coming to Blu Ray NOVEMBER 19, 2012. Looks awesomely promising!!