or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews › Indiana Jones: The Complete Adventures (Blu-ray) Official AVSForum Review
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Indiana Jones: The Complete Adventures (Blu-ray) Official AVSForum Review - Page 2

post #31 of 72
I'm still going to get it regardless. Thanks Ralph for review. smile.gif
post #32 of 72
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

I'm still going to get it regardless. Thanks Ralph for review. smile.gif

Greetings,

As well you should Frank. Enjoy it..smile.gif


Regards,
post #33 of 72
Yep, Raiders definitely looks terrible. That's why AVS gave it an 84 on video or "excellent".
post #34 of 72
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyBatty88 View Post

That's why AVS gave it an 84 on video or "excellent".


Greetings,

Exactly.. wink.gif


Regards,
post #35 of 72
Just watched raiders and i can say, for me anyhow, i am completely disappointed. The audio is decent, but the video ( again, in my opinion) is horrible. Some frames looked like i was watching DVD and others would be very defined. If this is the directors view of how the film should be seen, save your money and watch the dvd. I did not finish watching it, so maybe the video restoration improved?
post #36 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by bosoxfan View Post

Just watched raiders and i can say, for me anyhow, i am completely disappointed. The audio is decent, but the video ( again, in my opinion) is horrible. Some frames looked like i was watching DVD and others would be very defined. If this is the directors view of how the film should be seen, save your money and watch the dvd. I did not finish watching it, so maybe the video restoration improved?

The sound (imo) is REALLY good. I'm hoping (praying actually) that the studio does something (ala Gladiator) about it but I seriously doubt it. If it looks better then DVD, it's not by much. I'll be holding onto my HD caps for the time being.
post #37 of 72
Excellent review! Just one thing...

"The first example came in the opening segment just after Belog obtains the idol from Indy and holds it up in the air (just after Indy scampers off and he gives the order to kill him)."

It's Belloq. Though the Germans call him "Bellosh". [disengage OCD nitpick hypersensitive overdrive] biggrin.gif
post #38 of 72
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by gridbug View Post

Excellent review! Just one thing...
"The first example came in the opening segment just after Belog obtains the idol from Indy and holds it up in the air (just after Indy scampers off and he gives the order to kill him)."
It's Belloq. Though the Germans call him "Bellosh". [disengage OCD nitpick hypersensitive overdrive] biggrin.gif

Greetings,

biggrin.gif

Corrected. Thanks gridbug..wink.gif


Regards,
post #39 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Murphy View Post

Then that makes this set even more disappointing to me. I use the one from the first set (DVD) but was hoping to get a HD version.

I would strongly just recommend downloading the AVS test patterns and burning them to a disc, or buying HD DVE or one of the other reputable HD test pattern/calibration discs.
post #40 of 72
^^ As a complete off topic side note, I got to see "The Master" today in 70MM..

If it doesn't make for one of the best looking BR discs ever I'll be shocked... make sure you get dibs on reviewing that early next year. wink.gif
post #41 of 72
Yeah.. I got the DVD set and was so looking to get blu-ray... Guess I might have to pass on this, unless Amazon had some crazy special on-sale . Well, am looking forward to finding Nemo!
post #42 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmMixer View Post

^^ As a complete off topic side note, I got to see "The Master" today in 70MM..
If it doesn't make for one of the best looking BR discs ever I'll be shocked... make sure you get dibs on reviewing that early next year. wink.gif

You reckon they will release that on blu ray Marc?
post #43 of 72
While Raiders may be disappointing PQwise, it's a day 1 purchase for the set. We may or may not get a new master. I say if SS approved this one then we are wishful thinking. Again, day 1 purchase. The set includes two of the best movies of all time.
post #44 of 72
Hopefully I should be picking up my set up tomorrow, if I get the time.
post #45 of 72
I'll reserve judgment until I watch my set (getting it tomorrow for sure), but Ralph still gave it a good review. Seems like people are overreacting. Even my upconverted DVD copy of Raiders looks pretty decent - and from reading the forums over at Blu-Ray.com it would seem like this BD is the first Indy home video release to get color timing correct. This movie is thirty years old and it may just be "how it looks.". I'd rather watch the film "how it looks" than over sharpened and excessively cleaned. Good review!
post #46 of 72
I definitely think Jaws was one of the better catalog titles to be released. They really did an awesome job with the restoration. The 9-10 minute special feature about the restoration really blew my mind on what they had to do, what they did and how long it took to achieve a great looking transfer. Thanks for the in depth review on this one. I will have to put this on my wish list! I am sure many on here may have been hoping that Raiders got a reference score, but it is what it is and will look better than anything previously viewed on DVD or cable/sat. Like Ralph said, maybe this is the best we can hope for. Maintaining the integrity of the film is the most important and I think we can be thankful that there was not a lot of digital tinkering.
post #47 of 72
I watched Raiders tonight. I agree with most of what Ralph had to say. It's not very remarkable PQ but is very likely as good as it can look. I saw no real evidence of digital manipulation of the sort that could have been used on such marginal material. The audio was a large improvement over previous releases. The video is what it is, nothing to get excited about either pro or con.
post #48 of 72
I just finished watching Raiders and enjoyed it until I got to this part, When Indy attempts to blow up the Ark on the Island a fly goes across Belloq's face and it looks like it disappears in his mouth.
post #49 of 72
Picked up my copy tonight looking forward in watching it this weekend.
post #50 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post


I remember my father took me to see Raiders of the lost Ark at the theater when it came out in 1981. My parents divorced when I was seven and Raiders was the first movie he and I saw together. It was a special event all around and I was immediately a fan. For him it reminded him of the serials he used to see at the movies when he was a boy and for me it represented something I really hadn’t experienced in a film to that point. I knew Harrison Ford from Star Wars but heroes for me either had laser pistols, superpowers or rode horses and carried six shooters. As I watched Raiders I couldn’t help but feel that Indiana Jones was larger than life and in many ways fit the aforementioned hero bill (less the laser pistols of course).

My son and I are doing a marathon on Saturday. He's nine and hasn't seen any of these films. I can't wait, I hope he has the same memories of this that you do. smile.gif
post #51 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by lgans316 View Post

Well balanced review Ralph. A bit disappointed to hear about the PQ issues with Raiders of the Lost Ark.mad.gif

I watched ROTLA last night enjoyed the movie but I have to say the PQ was disappointing. You think they will put just as much effort in this box set as they did with Jaws.
post #52 of 72
Not to be a conspiracy theorist but considering the popularity of Raiders and Star Wars and the likewise expectations of a BD rendering, I think it's odd that these two particular movies brought in, while better than DVD, less than superior results. Just sayin.

In full disclosure, I have not yet seen Raiders on BD.
post #53 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Closet Geek View Post

Not to be a conspiracy theorist but considering the popularity of Raiders and Star Wars and the likewise expectations of a BD rendering, I think it's odd that these two particular movies brought in, while better than DVD, less than superior results. Just sayin.
In full disclosure, I have not yet seen Raiders on BD.

And what have those two films got in common George Lucas.
post #54 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

And what have those two films got in common George Lucas.

I think George Lucos wrote it, but gave the script to Steven Spielberg, as George wanted to see the film and not have the magic spoilt(for him) by making it.
post #55 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMyers View Post

I'm sad.
Thanks for the reviews.
Indy deserved the Jaws treatment, not this.
... Altan

Went ahead with the purchase...

Watched Raiders last night...

Thoroughly enjoyed it. No regrets.

IMHO it's the best Raiders has looked and it looks the way it was filmed.
post #56 of 72
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMyers View Post

Went ahead with the purchase...
Watched Raiders last night...
Thoroughly enjoyed it. No regrets.
IMHO it's the best Raiders has looked and it looks the way it was filmed.

Greetings,

Glad to hear it.. enjoy! cool.gif


Regards,
post #57 of 72
I agree with others who were disappointed with the "restoration" of Raiders. Not all I was expecting and hoping it would be. And I agree with Ralph about the sound. Too much surround level - not a natural balance at all. Those who love their surrounds loud, normally, will probably like it, but it wasn't correct. At first "Temple of Doom" started off the same way, boosted surround levels, but seemed to calm down later in the film. And I had one of those copies where the holder refused to give up the discs. I've read where others have had the discs fall out for being too loose.
post #58 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Vaughn View Post

I totally agree with Ralph about Raiders...it's pretty flat and rarely has you sitting up in your seat saying WOW (unlike Jaws)

Flat as compared to what...Jaws? It's probably the source and close to the best we will ever have. Real fans of the film will appreciate having the chance to view and own it.

Thanks for the review Ralph and nice setup you have.
post #59 of 72
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus00 View Post

Flat as compared to what...Jaws? It's probably the source and close to the best we will ever have. Real fans of the film will appreciate having the chance to view and own it.
Thanks for the review Ralph and nice setup you have.

Greetings,

Thanks Lotus00. smile.gif

Regards,
post #60 of 72
Perfect review Ralph; especially of the opening scenes in raiders. I was worried, then it statbilized to a nice presentation. LOVE The Last Crusade. This is an amazing set to own
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews › Indiana Jones: The Complete Adventures (Blu-ray) Official AVSForum Review