or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Display Calibration › Colormunki vs i1 basic pro?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Colormunki vs i1 basic pro?

post #1 of 27
Thread Starter 
Hi,
Which of this two meters is the most accuracy out of box?
I use Calman.

colormunki:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Pantone-CMUNPH-X-Rite-ColorMunki-Photo/dp/B00169N0BK/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1347721015&sr=8-2


i1 basic pro:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Pantone-X-Rite-i1-Basic/dp/B001RMVFSG/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1347721062&sr=1-1-catcorr


I have exactly this two to chose.
post #2 of 27
The i1 Pro is a little more accurate.

Quite a bit of the internals is shared between the two meters.

If you're measuring print or other reflective measurements the i1 Pro has a much better internal lamp. For Emissive measurements (measuring displays) they are much closer to each other.

Probably the big difference for our use is the i1 Pro has glass optics while the Munki has plastic. You've seen what clear plastic looks like in 3 or 4 years compared to glass.
post #3 of 27
Thread Starter 
Then the i1 basic pro it is.
post #4 of 27
Thread Starter 
Do i1 pro need to calibrat against black before using?
post #5 of 27
both the munki and i1 Pro need periodic dark cals
post #6 of 27
Thread Starter 
Ok, does it need to be warmd up?
If yes, how long time?
post #7 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bits123 View Post

Ok, does it need to be warmd up?
If yes, how long time?

Not really, that's what the periodic dark cals take care of.
post #8 of 27
Thread Starter 
How do i dark cal it? Do i use The White tile who come with The i1pro?
post #9 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bits123 View Post

How do i dark cal it? Do i use The White tile who come with The i1pro?

Yes or just a dark surface for the i1Pro. The i1Pro 2 requires it's dark cal on the cal plate only.
post #10 of 27
The way I was told to do the i1pro was, in calman set the button action to initialize. Then when you need to do a dark reading you put your finger over the hole and press the button on the side of the i1pro.. done. Very fast and simple to do once you get rolling in your calibration, takes all of 3 seconds.
post #11 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by airscapes View Post

The way I was told to do the i1pro was, in calman set the button action to initialize. Then when you need to do a dark reading you put your finger over the hole and press the button on the side of the i1pro.. done. Very fast and simple to do once you get rolling in your calibration, takes all of 3 seconds.

Ever put a flash light up to your finger?

I'd use something more opaque.
post #12 of 27
Thread Starter 
I did get my i1Pro today, and the certification was made 5 october 2010 and it expired 1 May 2012.
But it's new so do I need to check it out or can I just use it?

It shod be more accurat then my 1 year old i1display pro 3 right?


The cert:
post #13 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by sotti View Post

Ever put a flash light up to your finger?
I'd use something more opaque.

?? If you tv is putting out that much light you would be blind, don't you think?
post #14 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bits123 View Post

I did get my i1Pro today, and the certification was made 5 october 2010 and it expired 1 May 2012.
But it's new so do I need to check it out or can I just use it?
It shod be more accurat then my 1 year old i1display pro 3 right?
The cert:

Yes indeed. Since spectros don't have filters, they don't really age just sitting around in a box like a colorimeter. Nearly all the i1 Pro's we get in for re certification pass with flying colors.

If it really does bother you, I'd contact whoever sold it to you and complain. Getting shipped a meter with an expired certificate is a legitimate gripe, but I wouldn't worry too much about the accuracy.
post #15 of 27
Thread Starter 
Amazon dont have it left in stock, so no.

But I can use it, I can re-calibrate it against a Jeti or something later.
post #16 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bits123 View Post

Amazon dont have it left in stock, so no.
But I can use it, I can re-calibrate it against a Jeti or something later.

Re-calibrations with spectros are a bit different than creating profile.

But I would use it and wouldn't even worry about it.
post #17 of 27
Thread Starter 
Shod I store the i1 pro in a plastic bag and then i the original bag or can I just store it in the bage without the plastic bag around it?

Which one is best?

I guess that it can moisture in the bag right?
post #18 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bits123 View Post

Shod I store the i1 pro in a plastic bag and then i the original bag or can I just store it in the bage without the plastic bag around it?
Which one is best?
I guess that it can moisture in the bag right?

Moisture isnt' a huge issue with the i1 Pro, but it's always better to take better care of it.

Mine has been sitting on my desk for 3 years.
post #19 of 27
Joel,
Has anyone a SpectraCal had an opportunity to re-evaluate a ColorMunki spectro after a significant period of time? Mine is just over a year old, and I'm curious about its long term stability. I currently use it to generate a profile for my D3.
post #20 of 27
Regarding dark readings for the original i1 Pro, after doing the inital dark reading at the start of the calibration session, how far can you go before you really need to do another dark reading? (on a LED-LCD flat panel used in contact mode)
post #21 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by slb View Post

Joel,
Has anyone a SpectraCal had an opportunity to re-evaluate a ColorMunki spectro after a significant period of time? Mine is just over a year old, and I'm curious about its long term stability. I currently use it to generate a profile for my D3.

I don't know that we have. I'll ask around when I have the chance.
Edited by sotti - 9/18/12 at 4:28pm
post #22 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by sotti View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by slb View Post

Joel,
Has anyone a SpectraCal had an opportunity to re-evaluate a ColorMunki spectro after a significant period of time? Mine is just over a year old, and I'm curious about its long term stability. I currently use it to generate a profile for my D3.[/quote
I don't know that we have. I'll ask around when I have the chance.

We use them in the rental program so Darrell should know.
post #23 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaPZ80U View Post

Regarding dark readings for the original i1 Pro, after doing the inital dark reading at the start of the calibration session, how far can you go before you really need to do another dark reading? (on a LED-LCD flat panel used in contact mode)

Depends if you are going to be measuring stuff below about 5 cd/m.

If you are going to measure things that are dim, then probably 10-15 minutes.
post #24 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by sotti View Post

I don't know that we have. I'll ask around when I have the chance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekjsmith View Post

We use them in the rental program so Darrell should know.


Anything you could share would be great. BTW, I'm really liking CalMan 5 so far. I'm going to try an autocal on my Duo soon and see how it compares to my manual CalMan 4 results.
post #25 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by slb View Post

Joel,
Has anyone a SpectraCal had an opportunity to re-evaluate a ColorMunki spectro after a significant period of time? Mine is just over a year old, and I'm curious about its long term stability. I currently use it to generate a profile for my D3.

Though I'm not SpectraCaI, I have, with 7 ColorMuni Spectros now..

There is no difference, all seven are from the original release

Purchase your Colormeter as your only meter, lets have this conversation again in a few years smile.gif
Edited by turbe - 9/18/12 at 7:39pm
post #26 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by sotti View Post

Depends if you are going to be measuring stuff below about 5 cd/m.
If you are going to measure things that are dim, then probably 10-15 minutes.

Thanks.

In my case, under 5 cd/m only includes 20% gray (I do 9-step grayscale with the spectro). So, I should be fine from 30% on up.
post #27 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbe View Post

Though I'm not SpectraCaI, I have, with 7 ColorMuni Spectros now..
There is no difference, all seven are from the original release
Purchase your Colormeter as your only meter, lets have this conversation again in a few years smile.gif

Thanks Turbe. Surprisingly, except for luminance, my D3 and ColorMunki agree fairly well on my GT50 plasma and Samsung CCFL LCD.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Display Calibration
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Display Calibration › Colormunki vs i1 basic pro?