or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Programming › Last Resort on ABC
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Last Resort on ABC - Page 17

post #481 of 581
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTiVo View Post

I'm not so sure he was going to go so quietly. He had his own handgun under the bible he was holding. smile.gif

Good catch! I missed that. Also interesting that he had already figured out who the spy was.
post #482 of 581
Was this week the episode they retooled post-cancellation? It felt as if there was a lot of exposition and most of it was needed to explain some of the left-field plot angles that appeared.

For some reason the dialog channel was dropping out every time Sirat appeared. Hilariously even though I couldn't hear what was happening it made no difference to following the episode! It shows how superfluous that entire angle is. Anyone missing the Dollhouse bartender? The show definitely isn't.
post #483 of 581
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post

Was this week the episode they retooled post-cancellation? It felt as if there was a lot of exposition and most of it was needed to explain some of the left-field plot angles that appeared.

For some reason the dialog channel was dropping out every time Sirat appeared. Hilariously even though I couldn't hear what was happening it made no difference to following the episode! It shows how superfluous that entire angle is. Anyone missing the Dollhouse bartender? The show definitely isn't.

I posted about that missing audio... and was surprised to see nobody else mention it!

It was just Sirat and whomever he was talking to at the time... all the sound effects and music were still there. I'm beginning to think it was intentional, and not an audio glitch... As you say, maybe that whole subplot has been rendered meaningless with the cancellation... so maybe they just self-censored that?
post #484 of 581
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post

Was this week the episode they retooled post-cancellation? It felt as if there was a lot of exposition and most of it was needed to explain some of the left-field plot angles that appeared.

For some reason the dialog channel was dropping out every time Sirat appeared. Hilariously even though I couldn't hear what was happening it made no difference to following the episode! It shows how superfluous that entire angle is. Anyone missing the Dollhouse bartender? The show definitely isn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMe2 View Post

I posted about that missing audio... and was surprised to see nobody else mention it!

It was just Sirat and whomever he was talking to at the time... all the sound effects and music were still there. I'm beginning to think it was intentional, and not an audio glitch... As you say, maybe that whole subplot has been rendered meaningless with the cancellation... so maybe they just self-censored that?

Must be a NC thing, sound was just fine here....
post #485 of 581
Doubt if it was an NC thing - I had no problems with audio either. Might be "a provider thing". TWC here.
post #486 of 581
If location is anything to go by, I would say the audio problem was an ABC11 fault.
post #487 of 581
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMe2 View Post

Anybody else have audio issues tonight?

I lost voice audio twice... it was curious too... both times the music and ambient noise were there... just the character dialog was gone... and both times it was the same character involved!

Made me wonder if there was intentional work at play or something.

Had one minor loss of all audio when XO was talking to the Capt. but pretty sure it was my DVR.
post #488 of 581
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

Good catch! I missed that. Also interesting that he had already figured out who the spy was.

He figured it out because he was on the radio and they said the launch boat would be delayed because they were having trouble so he couldn't get on the sub yet. Soon as he got off the radio the spy came in and made the comment that she was securing the launch boat. He knew she was lying because the launch boat hadn't left yet.
post #489 of 581
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post

He figured it out because he was on the radio and they said the launch boat would be delayed because they were having trouble so he couldn't get on the sub yet. Soon as he got off the radio the spy came in and made the comment that she was securing the launch boat. He knew she was lying because the launch boat hadn't left yet.

Ah, another good catch. I need to pay closer attention...redface.gif
post #490 of 581
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post

If location is anything to go by, I would say the audio problem was an ABC11 fault.

Yeah... that's what it sounds like. I wonder how important that plot bit was. Looked like he was giving vials of something to people and talking about it.
post #491 of 581
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMe2 View Post

Yeah... that's what it sounds like. I wonder how important that plot bit was. Looked like he was giving vials of something to people and talking about it.

It's on Hulu. It's just a callback to the soil mining samples the French woman faked. Sirat had another person do them in secret and reveals his cunning plan to rule the island (and then the world! Muhahaha!) by turning it into a huge rare earth metal mining complex.

The woman wanted the island to stay small and quiet instead.
post #492 of 581
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post

It's on Hulu. It's just a callback to the soil mining samples the French woman faked. Sirat had another person do them in secret and reveals his cunning plan to rule the island (and then the world! Muhahaha!) by turning it into a huge rare earth metal mining complex.

The woman wanted the island to stay small and quiet instead.

Thanks for that... so, ok... that surely can't figure much into the larger plot as they play these final series episodes.
post #493 of 581
Would have been nice to hear from the Destroyer Captain after he had been fired upon. He apparently had a lot to say prior to engaging the Chinese ship, so his silence afterward didn't seem to really pay off.
post #494 of 581
I have watched this week's Last Resort episode, which I thought was toweringly silly, so was not surprised to see that I seem to be the first to post about it. I just hope that (1) ABC stands by its decision to cancel this very disappointing series and (2) that next week's finale really wraps up the series in a satisfactory way.
post #495 of 581

It was pretty bad and possibly was the result of some last minute editing to bring a conclusion.  I had the sense that several scenes were very hastily put together or re-edited to move toward the last episode next week and conclude the show.  If that's the case, I give them a pass as I would prefer some sort of conclusion vs. just stopping as so many cancelled series do.  Yes, it was silly and unimaginative, but hopefully the last episode will be better since they reportedly had time to craft it as a finale.

post #496 of 581
Quote:
I give them a pass as I would prefer some sort of conclusion vs. just stopping as so many cancelled series do.
Like 'V' did. mad.gif
post #497 of 581
Wow, the previuos two episodes were enjoyable at least. This episode has stepped back into the same soap opera BS that got the show canned! They are set up and ready to overthrow the administration and then suddenly some secret news changes everything and now it all falls apart? I'll just committ suicide while on television.rolleyes.gif
post #498 of 581
Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post

Like 'V' did. mad.gif

Or, most recently, '666 Park Avenue'. ABC isn't even going to run the last few episodes (3...?) already filmed and in the can. Maybe they'll burn them off in the summer or something.
post #499 of 581
Quote:
They are set up and ready to overthrow the administration and then suddenly some secret news changes everything and now it all falls apart? I'll just committ suicide while on television.
Let's see now, all set to overthrow the US government including the President, but wait, it was then foiled out of the blue...........did I miss something during the lat break?
Quote:
ABC isn't even going to run the last few episodes (3...?) already filmed and in the can.
How do they justify that expense? What, supposedly $1 mil per episode?
post #500 of 581
Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post


How do they justify that expense? What, supposedly $1 mil per episode?

My guess would be it's really hard to sell ad space on a show that's already cancelled; repeats of another show would generate more revenue. The calculation for 'Last Resort', since we're getting those last filmed episodes, may be different based on demographic numbers or something only the network accountants know.
post #501 of 581
Hey, if lovin' this show is wrong, I don't want to be right.

Thought the last ep was another nail-biter. Plot twists in serialized dramas are nothing new, and this was a doozy. Obviously they had something on the Speaker that totally crushed the coup. Admittedly, the suicide on the House floor was a bit over the top, but you've got to give them credit for having the guts to do it in prime time. biggrin.gif

I still think this show could have been really good had it been allowed to run its course. But one season might have been enough as you just can't keep up that pressure all season long without taking on some water, so to speak. What would really have taken guts is if they had planned it to be one season from the outset, and marketed it that way. Just the novelty of it might have gotten the show a higher initial sampling, and people wouldn't have been worried about it being cancelled out from under them. Maybe a different time slot as well. Thursdays are awfully competitive, and it's not really an 8:00 show. Oh well...

I just finished reading Stephen King's "Under the Dome". Talk about a rip-roaring nail-biter! CBS is going to make a 13 episode summer series of UtD to air this year; they start filming next month. It's the kind of "midi-series" that English networks often do and which I wish they'd try more of over on this side of the pond. We've seen 'Harper's Island' and 'Persons Unknown" in recent summers but this one will be a much higher profile, and likely quality level, from those. That it's CBS that's doing it is surprising to me. They haven't done a genre show since 'Jericho'.
post #502 of 581
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

Hey, if lovin' this show is wrong, I don't want to be right.

Thought the last ep was another nail-biter. Plot twists in serialized dramas are nothing new, and this was a doozy. Obviously they had something on the Speaker that totally crushed the coup. Admittedly, the suicide on the House floor was a bit over the top, but you've got to give them credit for having the guts to do it in prime time. biggrin.gif

I just finished reading Stephen King's "Under the Dome". Talk about a rip-roaring nail-biter! CBS is going to make a 13 episode summer series of UtD to air this year; they start filming next month. It's the kind of "midi-series" that English networks often do and which I wish they'd try more of over on this side of the pond. We've seen 'Harper's Island' and 'Persons Unknown" in recent summers but this one will be a much higher profile, and likely quality level, from those. That it's CBS that's doing it is surprising to me. They haven't done a genre show since 'Jericho'.

As noted in a earlier post, I thought this week's Last Resort was preposterous nonsense. I agree with you, however, that the prospect of a BBC type "midi-series" for Stephen King's Under the Dome excites me, too. Loved the book and think it has a chance to be turned into a great one season series. Just hope the showrunners and CBS don't get greedy and try to turn it into a multi-season series. Does the name, Veena Sud, pop into anybody else's mind?
post #503 of 581
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

I just finished reading Stephen King's "Under the Dome". Talk about a rip-roaring nail-biter! CBS is going to make a 13 episode summer series of UtD to air this year; they start filming next month.

I haven't read Dome, but I hope ABC doesn't inflate any vague romance into more Lifetime Primetime to fit in with ABC's formula. The track record for King adaptations on television is pretty poor.
post #504 of 581
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post

I haven't read Dome, but I hope ABC doesn't inflate any vague romance into more Lifetime Primetime to fit in with ABC's formula. The track record for King adaptations on television is pretty poor.

Um, dude, it's CBS. And no worries: there's virtually no romance at all in the book, although there may be a stray coupling or two.
post #505 of 581
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

I agree with you, however, that the prospect of a BBC type "midi-series" for Stephen King's Under the Dome excites me, too. Loved the book and think it has a chance to be turned into a great one season series. Just hope the showrunners and CBS don't get greedy and try to turn it into a multi-season series. Does the name, Veena Sud, pop into anybody else's mind?

That's the beauty of it -- it's a book adaptation and Kind didn't write any sequels, which wouldn't have been possible anyway as the story has a definitive end. In fact, he began the book back in 1976, got stuck, and didn't pick it back up until 30 years later in 2007. The plotline had a long time to percolate and coalesce in his subconscious (a place I wouldn't necessarily want to visit).

I've read just about all King's stuff. He can sometimes suffer from "Tom Clancy Disease" (the pathological need to turn a 500 page book into a thousand page book for no particular reason other than the lovely sound of his own voice). But that's not the case here. As you know from reading it, "Dome" rocks, rocks hard, and doesn't stop rocking until the end. I think this 13 part midi-series is just about the perfect length. I'm excited too, and that's not something I typically say about much of anything else on CBS. Not since 'Jericho', anyway.
post #506 of 581
I've really enjoyed Last Resort...going to miss it. the military terminology is real. the episode where the SEAL had to spend time at 300ft+ depth, using Tri-mix & decompression stops that is real (TM is helium + O2 + air) any technical diver (cave, wreck, commercial) would appreciate that they didn't go all Voyage to Bottom of the Sea hocum or just throw a diver into the water & pick him up eek.gif

the story had the ingredients a good govt conspiracy story should have. the acting is good.

too bad it's been hard for the the typical viewing audience to grasp - they can go back to American Idol rolleyes.gif

I hope the show producers have some kind of quasi-ending in mind where it could have gone & that it doesn't just end.
post #507 of 581
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

I think this 13 part midi-series is just about the perfect length. I'm excited too, and that's not something I typically say about much of anything else on CBS. Not since 'Jericho', anyway.

Jericho was awesome. My wife & I really thought it was well done. If there's a chance the show you're talking about is Jericho quality, we're in!
post #508 of 581
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

Um, dude, it's CBS. And no worries: there's virtually no romance at all in the book, although there may be a stray coupling or two.

My mistake. Thankfully! Still not convinced based on the King's track record on television but at least it won't be forced to aim for specific demo model.
post #509 of 581
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post

My mistake. Thankfully! Still not convinced based on the King's track record on television but at least it won't be forced to aim for specific demo model.

King's record with translations of his work to film has been uneven. As you have pointed out, some of the made for television adaptations have been awful. On the other hand his work has been adapted into some of the very finest films ever made. The Shawshank Redemption, The Green Mile, and The Shining come to mind, although King hated the changes Kubrick made to his novel in Kubrick's screenplay for The Shining. I have the BDs of all three films.
post #510 of 581
I'm not happy that this show got cancelled, but now that we know it is...ugh.... I'm just ready for it to end.

Any point in reading into ABC calling it a "SEASON finale"?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: HDTV Programming
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Programming › Last Resort on ABC