or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Programming › Last Resort on ABC
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Last Resort on ABC - Page 20

post #571 of 581
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp1080 View Post

Tighr,

What triggered this whole fiasco was the way the orders came in. I'm wondering if you asked them specifically if their Captain would launch on orders not thru the proper channels? These "ex-Navy" guys were not Captain of the submarine. Not being argumentative but they are stating their opinion and not the sub Captain's. That was the whole premise of the show at the start, he was asking as to why it was not sent properly. Chaplain was following protocol, they were not following it. .

I am a former US Navy Missile Tech that did serve on SSBN's. Based on my experience, Tighr's post above is very accurate.

The writers created a fictitious alternate method to receive launch orders called the "Arctic Network". So in the Last Resort world, there are two methods where the boat can receive an authenticated launch order. When the boat receives an authenticated launch order through a proper channel, which in this case they did, the ‘protocol’ is to launch. Period. No turning on the TV to check CNN, no transmitting a radio message for confirmation . You launch as ordered. When the boat receives an EAM (Launch Order), it is not a secret from the crew, we all knew it. It gets authenticated by two other officers under a very strict methodology. If the Captain refuses to follow a direct authenticated order, it is the XO’s duty to relieve the Captain and execute the launch order. The dramatic 'launch or don't launch' scenario is fine for movies and TV like 'Red Tide' and 'Last Resort', it's not reality.
post #572 of 581
I was looking for Gene Hackman or Denzel Washington to make a cameo appearance in the last episode. With different people taking over the boat at various times, it reminded me of "Crimson Tide"..
post #573 of 581
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandu View Post

I am a former US Navy Missile Tech that did serve on SSBN's. Based on my experience, Tighr's post above is very accurate.

The writers created a fictitious alternate method to receive launch orders called the "Arctic Network". So in the Last Resort world, there are two methods where the boat can receive an authenticated launch order. When the boat receives an authenticated launch order through a proper channel, which in this case they did, the ‘protocol’ is to launch. Period. No turning on the TV to check CNN, no transmitting a radio message for confirmation . You launch as ordered. When the boat receives an EAM (Launch Order), it is not a secret from the crew, we all knew it. It gets authenticated by two other officers under a very strict methodology. If the Captain refuses to follow a direct authenticated order, it is the XO’s duty to relieve the Captain and execute the launch order. The dramatic 'launch or don't launch' scenario is fine for movies and TV like 'Red Tide' and 'Last Resort', it's not reality.

I was a Missile Facilities Technician (Atlas F) on Combat Crew during the Cuban Missile Crisis. What you say was true back then as well......
post #574 of 581
Looks like ABC pulled it from their online streams. I missed the last episode.
post #575 of 581
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stryker412 View Post

Looks like ABC pulled it from their online streams. I missed the last episode.
They probably didn't want to sink any more money into it to keep the streaming rights.
post #576 of 581
So how did it end?
post #577 of 581
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stryker412 View Post

So how did it end?

Frenetic and rushed. Needed another couple of hours, at least.
post #578 of 581
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stryker412 View Post

So how did it end?

In Fire
post #579 of 581
Captain went down with his ship and everyone else lived happily ever after.
post #580 of 581
Quote:
Originally Posted by dealer6871 View Post

Captain went down with his ship and everyone else lived happily ever after.

You forgot to mention the lady who came up with the sub's stealth system shot and killed the president.
post #581 of 581
Quote:
Originally Posted by humdinger70 View Post

You forgot to mention the lady who came up with the sub's stealth system shot and killed the president.
Presumably. Off-camera.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: HDTV Programming
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Programming › Last Resort on ABC