or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › The **OFFICIAL** DENON AVR-4520CI thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The **OFFICIAL** DENON AVR-4520CI thread - Page 2

post #31 of 7680
Quote:
Originally Posted by filcro1 View Post

My 4308CI and 3312CI are both broken even after repairs by Denon. I wonder if the 450CI really works?
I've had so many HDMI and NET streaming issues with the AVR-4308CI and AVR-3312CI that I wonder if the AVR-4520CI has fixed these issues. So many HDMI boards have blown on Denon receivers that they are now back ordered by over 2 weeks.
Any one know if Denon has fixed the defective parts and firmware yet?
Thanks

Just for an alternative view point for anyone reading this......I have had zero issues with my 3808CI. It is comparable in features to the 4308, but not the 3312........the 12 is a different animal all together. I would think many of the internals of the '08 models would be the same.

FWIW, I would very much consider upgrading from my 3808 to the 4520.......
post #32 of 7680
Wow, Denon has finally released something that I truly feel will be a nearly irresistible upgrade from by 4308ci. This is going to be hard to resist.

To the guy claiming Denons are not reliable... Perhaps they were not designed for operation outdoors in the rain, and I bet if you move it indoors, it will last a lot longer. Haha

Seriously though, I got my 4308ci just after original launch, and it has been completely trouble free to this date (knock on wood). Then again, I have central AC in my house, so perhaps that helps. My Onkyo 5507 in the bedroom is doing great, but my Onkyo 806 in my office is showing signs of the caps in the HDMI board failing (a bit blue fringe noise on left edge of black screens), so with Onkyos being famouse for crapping out HDMI boards, I'm fairing well.

Sorry to thread-jack, but Denons are not well-known for being unreliable IMHO.
post #33 of 7680
On Amazon the status of the 4520 has changed from "out of stock. We will notify you when it will be available" to "Currently unavailable.
We don't know when or if this item will be back in stock". I hope that just means they are not taking any more pre-orders for the time being?
post #34 of 7680
Any idea on how the video processing would compare on this unit to say...Onkyo's HQV/QDEO combination or a hihg-end Marantz unit?
post #35 of 7680
^^^

i'll eat the ipad i'm typing on if the new "high end" marantz unit has any different video processing...

if you really care about video processing, the combination of a denon 4311 and a lumagen radiance mini would cost only slightly more than a 4520 (and less than the forthcoming marantz, which will be essentially a clone of the 4520) and be a vastly superior solution...
post #36 of 7680
Quote:
Originally Posted by kemac View Post

On Amazon the status of the 4520 has changed from "out of stock. We will notify you when it will be available" to "Currently unavailable.
We don't know when or if this item will be back in stock". I hope that just means they are not taking any more pre-orders for the time being?

More than likely it means their initial order has been bought out via the pre-orders and they must wait until they have confirmation from Denon on delivery of their 2nd order.
post #37 of 7680
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeblast View Post

Any idea on how the video processing would compare on this unit to say...Onkyo's HQV/QDEO combination or a hihg-end Marantz unit?

No reason to believe it won't be the same ADV 8003 chip used in the XX13 "CI" models which haven't gotten any really good (or bad) props from posts in the XX13 Owner's thread.
post #38 of 7680
So I'm planning on putting my 4520 in a SnapAV strong rack. Any ideas where I can get rack ears or a shelf for it?

Anyone have experience mounting ears on a Denon AVR? How much did the ears/shelf cost ? Did you need it custom built? I see Middle Atlantic can make custom shelves, they don't provide pricing info and I don't know if the shelf will be compatible with the rack I'm getting.
post #39 of 7680
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

More than likely it means their initial order has been bought out via the pre-orders and they must wait until they have confirmation from Denon on delivery of their 2nd order.

That's what I am hoping for...since I should be in the first batch...
post #40 of 7680
So is the 4520 different to the 4308 in that nowhere is offering the crazy pre-order discounts I remember seeing before 4308 launched?
post #41 of 7680
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

^^^
i'll eat the ipad i'm typing on if the new "high end" marantz unit has any different video processing...
if you really care about video processing, the combination of a denon 4311 and a lumagen radiance mini would cost only slightly more than a 4520 (and less than the forthcoming marantz, which will be essentially a clone of the 4520) and be a vastly superior solution...

For $1200, it better go to the kitchen and make me a sammich too! Wowsers.

Though I do see your point in that if he is upgrading just to improve the video, there are far better ways of spending that money.
post #42 of 7680
Quote:
Originally Posted by papa_laz View Post

So is the 4520 different to the 4308 in that nowhere is offering the crazy pre-order discounts I remember seeing before 4308 launched?

In todays economy, it's tough to get "crazy" deals via pre-orders; however, you'll find the best deals by "calling" the resellers rather than just checking their websites which will generally list MSRP.
post #43 of 7680
My 4308ci is still going strong after 4 years without any problems. I am in the middle of a large condo expansion project right now and am adding the new 4520ci to my set up as I need 16 channels for my large party mode stereo set up. My AV/home automation designer was initially trying to get me to go with a Marantz 7005 and 2 Niles distribution amplifiers but once we started thinking about it recycling the 4308ci as a distribution amp with the 4520ci as the main surround sound amplifier was just as effective an option and more affordable. We already had a 8x8 HDMI matrix switcher in the design and as to the Denons it essentially bridges the amps and their multi zones and really allow the amps to work together as a large distribution amplifier. Sucks you still need to run analog to zones 2 and 3 though.

Really looking forward to my new 4520ci. Hopefully it sounds as good as my 4308ci.
post #44 of 7680
I am going to be using my next unit as a pre amp only so I am really wondering if the 4520 is the way to go or not? The marantz 880X is also in the running for my audio dollars this year.
post #45 of 7680
It looks like most in this thread are looking to upgrade from their 4308 including me...
post #46 of 7680
Gee... I've had bad luck with my 4308CI HDMI issues and it freezes and the USB / NET stops and I get green screen.

I would wait to sse what BUGS are in the 4520 . Denon has not had a good record with fixing issues with past recivers I've owned. Their quality control is way down from what it used to be.
post #47 of 7680
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenonLover View Post

It looks like most in this thread are looking to upgrade from their 4308 including me...
I'm looking to go from a 4806, though I'd likely incorporate it to facilitate 11 channels.
post #48 of 7680

Here are the specs from the Denon site:

 

 

- What is D.D.S.C.-HD32?  Do any prior receivers, like the 4311, have this technology?

- Are the Analog Devices and Hammerhead SHARC chips audio chips, and are they an improvement?

- Are three CPU's an improvement?

- What is NSV?

- Independent power supplies--for all nine channels?

 

Obviously I'm looking for a reason to upgrade from my 4311.  While some of the new features are nice, I don't see any "must-have" additions.  So, a sonic or a video improvement would entice me to purchase one.  Any advise?

 

I don't see this AVR available for pre-sale when I do a search.  Has anyone pre-ordered it?

 

Edit: The product description states "9-channel, 150 watts per channel 7 HDMI Inputs, 3 HDMI Outputs 4K Video Scaling, Pass-through and GUI Overlay AirPlay, DLNA 1.5 11.2 Channel Processing, dts Neo:X, Audyssey DSX Ethernet Hub (4 Ports) 4 Source/4 Zone".  That is a nice feature.

post #49 of 7680
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post

Here are the specs from the Denon site:



- What is D.D.S.C.-HD32?  Do any prior receivers, like the 4311, have this technology?
- Are the Analog Devices and Hammerhead SHARC chips audio chips, and are they an improvement?
- Are three CPU's an improvement?
- What is NSV?
- Independent power supplies--for all nine channels?

Obviously I'm looking for a reason to upgrade from my 4311.  While some of the new features are nice, I don't see any "must-have" additions.  So, a sonic or a video improvement would entice me to purchase one.  Any advise?

I don't see this AVR available for pre-sale when I do a search.  Has anyone pre-ordered it?

Edit: The product description states "9-channel, 150 watts per channel 7 HDMI Inputs, 3 HDMI Outputs 4K Video Scaling, Pass-through and GUI Overlay AirPlay, DLNA 1.5 11.2 Channel Processing, dts Neo:X, Audyssey DSX Ethernet Hub (4 Ports) 4 Source/4 Zone".  That is a nice feature.

For a little while Amazon was taking preorders...but not currently. I have ordered and I really hope to have it by Oct...but no ship date listed...
post #50 of 7680
Went to Best Buy Magnolia on Long Island, NY yesterday. The sales guy informed me they had 27 in the warehouse. I ordered one to the store and was told it'll be there Thursday the Sept. 27th. Hopefully I'll be picking it up Thursday.
post #51 of 7680
4311ci user here.

I'd like to try the Neo:X 11 channel... might be nice.

However, I'm not seeing anything yet that's begging me to upgrade.

The multi-zone features seem to be improved a lot, but that's not something I use.

Also, it weighs the same as the 4311ci. And we all know the weight of a receiver is the ultimate judge of quality. Heh.

I think the main issue is that the 4311ci is still a top-dog reciever.... heck NO OTHER receiver has full 11.1 DSX. Things
have been pretty dead on the receiver front lately.
post #52 of 7680
Quote:
Originally Posted by S_rangeBrew View Post

4311ci user here.
I'd like to try the Neo:X 11 channel... might be nice.
However, I'm not seeing anything yet that's begging me to upgrade.
The multi-zone features seem to be improved a lot, but that's not something I use.
Also, it weighs the same as the 4311ci. And we all know the weight of a receiver is the ultimate judge of quality. Heh.
I think the main issue is that the 4311ci is still a top-dog reciever.... heck NO OTHER receiver has full 11.1 DSX. Things
have been pretty dead on the receiver front lately.

The new Onkyo xx10 series do support 11 channel DSX and NeoX
post #53 of 7680
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post

Here are the specs from the Denon site:

- What is D.D.S.C.-HD32?  Do any prior receivers, like the 4311, have this technology?
- Are the Analog Devices and Hammerhead SHARC chips audio chips, and are they an improvement?
- Are three CPU's an improvement?
- What is NSV?
- Independent power supplies--for all nine channels?

1. D.D.S.C has been around for quite awhile (10 years+) on the mid level and higher models to include the 4311CI. It has likely been updated to 32 bit to correspond with the upgrade from AL24 to AL32. D.D.S.C. is Denon's unique solution to the problem of accurately processing multi-channel audio signals.
2. Analog Devices is the company that mfr's some of the various processors and video chips used in Denon AVRs to include the Hammerhead SHARC processor, also used on the 4311CI.
3. Yes, 4311CI only uses 2 processors.
4. Noise Shaped Video (NSV) has also been around awhile on the various models with video chips and works to reduce noise in the video signal frequency band.
5. This has been a feature listed for all models for years, more likely referring to the independent amps.

And although not 100% accurate, you can compare the 4520CI and 4311CI here ---> http://usa.denon.com/us/product/pages/productcomparision.aspx?pIDs=AVR4311CI(DenonNA)|avr4520ci(denonna)&catID=AVReceivers(DenonNA)

Also, review post #1 for a list of new features.
post #54 of 7680

^ Thanks, JD.  I don't see any web sites actually listing this unit yet.  I'm sure someone will post to this thread when it becomes available.

 

Edit:  As usual, thanks to JD and Batpig for providing useful information in the thread's first several posts.


Edited by AustinJerry - 9/24/12 at 8:18am
post #55 of 7680
As previously noted, Amazon has already sold out of their initial pre-order batch. Your best bet is to "call" several of the usual resellers often listed (eg. AVS sales, Electronics Expo, J&R, etc.) and ask when they expect to have stock on hand. If as noted earlier, Best Buy already has received units, the on-line resellers should be receiving their initial shipments soon as well.
post #56 of 7680
Thread Starter 
Jerry, here's link to the DDSC entry from Denon's website glossary: http://www.denon.com/pages/GlossaryDetail.aspx?GId=18

Here's a quote I found on NSV: "This technology, from Analog Devices, uses oversampling and advanced techniques such as multi-bit sigma-delta processing and bitshuffling to improve converter performance by moving converter noise to an area of the spectrum where it can be removed by an analog filter. This improves the accuracy of signal representation, allowing images to be displayed at much higher resolutions."

As far as I can tell NSV applies when converting analog video to digital output.
post #57 of 7680
Just posting here so that I can subscribe to the thread as I may have an interest in this receiver smile.gif
post #58 of 7680
Me too...replacing my 987 for the GUI menu, HDMI inputs and 9.2 support. Been lurking for months...I guess now I am 'LURKING OFF' biggrin.gif

West coast Best Buys are starting to show sporadic in-store availability. I called yesterday to confirm availability at their Oxnard - it's more than just a pretty name! - location and, while they couldn't locate their SINGLE unit in the store, they sold me one over the phone with free delivery scheduled for TODAY. I am skeptical but hopeful. Installation may be a ways down the road as I have some cabinetry work to complete...
post #59 of 7680
Quote:
Originally Posted by purbeast View Post

Just posting here so that I can subscribe to the thread as I may have an interest in this receiver smile.gif

There's a "Subscribe" link at the top and bottom of every thread (just above or below the "Post a Reply" button), so you can easily monitor a thread without actually posting anything. That's what I was doing for this one. smile.gif
post #60 of 7680
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by purbeast View Post

Just posting here so that I can subscribe to the thread as I may have an interest in this receiver smile.gif

There's a "Subscribe" link at the top and bottom of every thread (just above or below the "Post a Reply" button), so you can easily monitor a thread without actually posting anything. That's what I was doing for this one. smile.gif

Yes. For the desktop. But Tapatalk doesn't seem to have a subscribed thread list.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Receivers, Amps, and Processors
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › The **OFFICIAL** DENON AVR-4520CI thread