or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP › Offical JVC DLA-RS4810 Owners Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Offical JVC DLA-RS4810 Owners Thread - Page 59

post #1741 of 1794
Quote:
Originally Posted by johng View Post

I purchased a b-stock from AVS. It was an upgrade from the RS45 and we could not be happier. It was definitely an upgrade in picture quality. Jump on it while you can

Well I missed out on the current bstocks. Have to see if more come. What would you say is better pq wise?
post #1742 of 1794
My bstock unit is coming Wednesday. Looking forward to it!
post #1743 of 1794
Well, my B stock RS4810 arrived today and so far I am extremely pleased.

The until was like brand new in the way it was packaged and handled. There were zero hours on the lamp. eek.gif There was also a QC checklist of a variety of performance checks they performed before sending it out. I did the focus and convergence and everything seemed good. I am having Chad Billheimer out next month to calibrate it.

I spent several hours viewing against the white walls in the dedicated room it will be in. The room is about 12x10 (not counting closet space where the projector will be ceiling mounted). This is my first projector and I am just stunned at how cool this is going to be. I am sitting about 10 feet back at 125" 16:9 and it's just amazing. I am experimenting a bit with the size, but really like that so far. Incredibly theatrical. I am getting the room painted black (shooting for the Rosco velour black) and carpeted black within the next 7-10 days. I can only imagine once I select a screen size, in the finished room, and calibrated how incredible this is going to be.

I also just want to say it has been an absolute pleasure working with Mike Garrett of AV Science Sales. He's been outstanding and very courteous to work with answering many of my questions on the phone and e-mail - with very fast replies. Highly recommended.
post #1744 of 1794
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post

...
I am having Chad Billheimer out next month to calibrate it.
...

Congrats on your score!

A month may be a bit early to have it calibrated. A rule of thumb is to get 100 hours on the bulb before calibration as there is a lot of change in those first 100 hours. Then they tend to calm down more.
post #1745 of 1794
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post

Congrats on your score!

A month may be a bit early to have it calibrated. A rule of thumb is to get 100 hours on the bulb before calibration as there is a lot of change in those first 100 hours. Then they tend to calm down more.

Thanks, I might have to run some color slides to get the hours up there before he comes out.

One question. In normal lamp mode, I can lightly hear fan noise when the room is completely silent...even 10 feet away from the projector. It's sitting on a bookshelf right now but well ventilated. I will be ceiling mounted soon enough, but is this light, but noticeable noise normal? It's not a harsh or winding sound. It's more of a light constant running "whoosh". This is my first projector so I am not sure if this is normal or there is something off with it.
post #1746 of 1794
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post

One question. In normal lamp mode, I can lightly hear fan noise when the room is completely silent...even 10 feet away from the projector. It's sitting on a bookshelf right now but well ventilated. I will be ceiling mounted soon enough, but is this light, but noticeable noise normal? It's not a harsh or winding sound. It's more of a light constant running "whoosh". This is my first projector so I am not sure if this is normal or there is something off with it.

That's normal. Also the e-shift device makes a high-pitched buzz that might be part of what you're hearing. Try switching it off (MPC to Off, iirc) and see if it makes a difference.
post #1747 of 1794
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottJ View Post

That's normal. Also the e-shift device makes a high-pitched buzz that might be part of what you're hearing. Try switching it off (MPC to Off, iirc) and see if it makes a difference.

Thanks. Yep, I still hear the low level "whoosh" it with that off.
post #1748 of 1794
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post

Thanks. Yep, I still hear the low level "whoosh" it with that off.
I thought in the plasma thread you said you were getting an RS4910. Did you change your mind?
post #1749 of 1794
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwa View Post

I thought in the plasma thread you said you were getting an RS4910. Did you change your mind?

I did because the price was so good on the 4810 and from what I've heard, it's just incremental improvement and I won't use a lot of the 4910 features.

How is the fan noise on yours in a completely quiet room? I'm going to hook up the speakers and receiver tonight to get a good idea how this is during movies.
post #1750 of 1794
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post

I did because the price was so good on the 4810 and from what I've heard, it's just incremental improvement and I won't use a lot of the 4910 features.
...

I'm waiting for a 4910 because I really want that new "Intelligent Iris". I have a dedicated room with dark everything and I'm really, really curious.
post #1751 of 1794
I spent a few hours watching and listening to various scenes with my receiver and speakers hooked up tonight.

Here is what I am experiencing - and I am just trying to find out if this is normal or not.

During quiet scenes, I can hear the lamp at a low level. Anything beyond that the audio from the speakers masks it out.

The projector is two feet behind me and about one foot over my head. Once it's ceiling mounted, looking at two feet overhead. However, totally silent, I can hear the lamp at any spot in the room.

Normal lamp mode, altitude off, as well as 4K and general enhancements. I would like to just verify if this is in spec or not.
post #1752 of 1794
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post

During quiet scenes, I can hear the lamp at a low level. Anything beyond that the audio from the speakers masks it out.

The projector is two feet behind me and about one foot over my head. Once it's ceiling mounted, looking at two feet overhead. However, totally silent, I can hear the lamp at any spot in the room.

Normal lamp mode, altitude off, as well as 4K and general enhancements. I would like to just verify if this is in spec or not.

That matches my experience with my 4810. I actually find the e-shift buzz more objectionable than the fan noise, but once the movie starts playing, I forget all about it.
post #1753 of 1794
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post

I spent a few hours watching and listening to various scenes with my receiver and speakers hooked up tonight.

Here is what I am experiencing - and I am just trying to find out if this is normal or not.

During quiet scenes, I can hear the lamp at a low level. Anything beyond that the audio from the speakers masks it out.

The projector is two feet behind me and about one foot over my head. Once it's ceiling mounted, looking at two feet overhead. However, totally silent, I can hear the lamp at any spot in the room.

Normal lamp mode, altitude off, as well as 4K and general enhancements. I would like to just verify if this is in spec or not.

Yes... in fact silence has come a LONG way in recent years. People used to build hush boxes and projection booths so they didn't have to listen to the noise. I have a projection booth.
post #1754 of 1794
Thanks, guys. Just wanting to make sure everything is "normal". smile.gif
post #1755 of 1794
By the way, I am still in utter, complete awe of front projection. It really has to be seen. Cannot wait to get the room completed.
post #1756 of 1794
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post

By the way, I am still in utter, complete awe of front projection. It really has to be seen. Cannot wait to get the room completed.

Yup, yup, yup, yup... my wife thought home theaters were stupid excesses for the rich when I met her. Now she asks what we're going to watch almost every night. smile.gif
post #1757 of 1794
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post

Yup, yup, yup, yup... my wife thought home theaters were stupid excesses for the rich when I met her. Now she asks what we're going to watch almost every night. smile.gif

That's because there is a huge misconception of what home theater is these days. For most that means a 40" LCD with a $100 HTIB sound system. Once you see what it's really capable of there's no going back. smile.gif
post #1758 of 1794
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108 View Post

That's because there is a huge misconception of what home theater is these days. For most that means a 40" LCD with a $100 HTIB sound system. Once you see what it's really capable of there's no going back. smile.gif

My wife was actually talking about the dedicated room/stadium seating/10' wide screen/6kW audio home theater that I have when she thought it was only for rich snobs. She sure changed her tune! No going back for us. She was all on-board when I wanted to get the Lumagen/C6/CalMAN ColorCube auto-cal system. And now that the RS-20 is developing the dreaded magenta stripe she wants to get a new one. Sheesh... talk about a convert.
post #1759 of 1794
Quote:
My wife was actually talking about the dedicated room/stadium seating/10' wide screen/6kW audio home theater that I have when she thought it was only for rich snobs. She sure changed her tune! No going back for us. She was all on-board when I wanted to get the Lumagen/C6/CalMAN ColorCube auto-cal system. And now that the RS-20 is developing the dreaded magenta stripe she wants to get a new one. Sheesh... talk about a convert.

Good for her! My wife is a convert too. She loves the Winter Olympics, and can't wait to watch more on the big screen in the theater! I'm truly blessed !!
post #1760 of 1794
How's the overall quality of 3D on this projector? I know it's not nearly as good as some out there, but just curious as I like to pop in a 3D movie every couple of months or so.
post #1761 of 1794
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post

How's the overall quality of 3D on this projector? I know it's not nearly as good as some out there, but just curious as I like to pop in a 3D movie every couple of months or so.
Not the greatest, but still watchable if you only watch a 3D movie every once in awhile.
post #1762 of 1794
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post

How's the overall quality of 3D on this projector? I know it's not nearly as good as some out there, but just curious as I like to pop in a 3D movie every couple of months or so.

I'd say "pretty good". Like everything else, it depends on the source. Avatar looks fantastic. Note: you need to use the 3D image mode if you want to watch a 3D movie, otherwise the image will be too dark. Using the 3D mode also increases fan noise.
post #1763 of 1794
It sounds adequate. I can probably live with the high fan noise in that mode for the occasional 3D movie.

I guess I could always pick up a used, lower priced 3D DLP projector if I choose to watch more occasionally? I often hear DLPs are best for 3D. I wonder if going from a 65" to around a 120" screen will encourage my 3D viewing. smile.gif
post #1764 of 1794
3D is fading away and although is a must feature on most displays and PJs the focus is now on 4K.
It is a shame as I really enjoy watching a 3D on my 4810. The image is good and bright enough if your room is fully light controlled.
post #1765 of 1794
Yes, my room will be painted and carpeted black with full light control. Likely going with the Carada Brilliant White screen. Hopefully, 3D brightness will not be much of an issue.
post #1766 of 1794
Has anyone used the custom masking settings on the 4810? I am now leaning towards a 2:35 screen and it seems these would help limit the "black bars" from 2:35 material spilling below the screen (and on top of my speakers mounted below the screen) where as there seems to be more vertical range to nearly completely black out 16:9 black bars on such a screen.
post #1767 of 1794
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post

Has anyone used the custom masking settings on the 4810? I am now leaning towards a 2:35 screen and it seems these would help limit the "black bars" from 2:35 material spilling below the screen (and on top of my speakers mounted below the screen) where as there seems to be more vertical range to nearly completely black out 16:9 black bars on such a screen.

The black level of the mask you'd get is only the black level the projector is capable of anyway. So masking isn't going to make the black bars any blacker.
post #1768 of 1794
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post

The black level of the mask you'd get is only the black level the projector is capable of anyway. So masking isn't going to make the black bars any blacker.

So, I pretty much would have to use manual masks (black material) to soak up the light if needed?
post #1769 of 1794
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post

So, I pretty much would have to use manual masks (black material) to soak up the light if needed?

Yes, and those would have to be on the screen, otherwise their borders would be fuzzy, getting fuzzier as the masks move closer to the lens. People use black velvet as a screen border to good effect. All the way back at the lens it would be completely useless.
post #1770 of 1794
Yep, makes sense.

If I go 2:35 and since I will be using the Rosco black velour paint (painter starting tonight smile.gif ), I wonder if the black bars will even be an issue?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP › Offical JVC DLA-RS4810 Owners Thread