or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP › Offical JVC DLA-RS4810 Owners Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Offical JVC DLA-RS4810 Owners Thread - Page 34

post #991 of 1794
Just a couple of hours seems to do the trick.
post #992 of 1794
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isantus View Post

Austin, Texas.

Know any places that I can get a solid calibration from out here?

I'm in Austin, TX as well. I got the X55R and haven't done much calibration as of yet. I am at 90 hours or so. Figured I would start looking around for different options on how to calibrate it. Actually thought about buying a meter and trying to do it myself.
post #993 of 1794
Quote:
Originally Posted by holmern View Post

I'm in Austin, TX as well. I got the X55R and haven't done much calibration as of yet. I am at 90 hours or so. Figured I would start looking around for different options on how to calibrate it. Actually thought about buying a meter and trying to do it myself.

I know I'm beating a dead horse... but...

I encourage you (and everyone) to really consider a nice calibration setup... like CalMAN or Chromapure... that can do automated calibrations and support hue/saturation/luminance color cubes.

My wife enjoys our home theater so much she gave her blessing to purchasing a CalMAN/Radiance/C6 combo to use with our RS20. The results are spectacular. Correct gamma is the most impressive, though the colors are gorgeous too. I do the automated 21 point gamma grayscale and 125 point color cube. We don't have to wait for a calibrator's availability, I can touch it up whenever I want and I can experiment with different gamma curves. Also, getting the primary and secondary colors correct across the range of saturation and luminance is something most calibrators aren't set up to do and simply can't do unless you have an appropriate color processing box (eeColor/Duo/Radiance). My wife is very pleased... she says it takes her enjoyment to a whole new level when movies are so beautiful.

Buying this combo still doesn't pass the ROI test over hiring a calibrator unless the advantages I cite make it worth the investment. For me and my wife it definitely is!
post #994 of 1794
To continue... we had a profession artist come visit on Sunday. We played Pride & Prejudice for her (our go-to- demo disk now). Her reaction was OMG... OMG... and then she could discuss the lighting and color she was seeing in technical terms. Se was especially impressed when sunlight streamed into darker interior shots, textures and color quality in dark scenes. She knows nothing about home theater. She hadn't even seen one before. But she loves movies and said she has never seen anything like this, even in commercial venues. I can't help but think she was a little bowled over. Surely commercial theaters are at least as well calibrated.
post #995 of 1794
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post

I know I'm beating a dead horse... but...

I encourage you (and everyone) to really consider a nice calibration setup... like CalMAN or Chromapure... that can do automated calibrations and support hue/saturation/luminance color cubes.

My wife enjoys our home theater so much she gave her blessing to purchasing a CalMAN/Radiance/C6 combo to use with our RS20. The results are spectacular. Correct gamma is the most impressive, though the colors are gorgeous too. I do the automated 21 point gamma grayscale and 125 point color cube. We don't have to wait for a calibrator's availability, I can touch it up whenever I want and I can experiment with different gamma curves. Also, getting the primary and secondary colors correct across the range of saturation and luminance is something most calibrators aren't set up to do and simply can't do unless you have an appropriate color processing box (eeColor/Duo/Radiance). My wife is very pleased... she says it takes her enjoyment to a whole new level when movies are so beautiful.

Buying this combo still doesn't pass the ROI test over hiring a calibrator unless the advantages I cite make it worth the investment. For me and my wife it definitely is!

I would love to go this route as I enjoy learning about it and the feeling of doing it myself. However the cost of equipment and materials are out if my reach as of this point in time. My wife barely gave me clearance to complete the other purchases. In addition I have far too many hobbies that are costing us a great deal. Gotta love it. I do appreciate the advice though and maybe some day I could go thus route.
post #996 of 1794
Quote:
Originally Posted by holmern View Post

I'm in Austin, TX as well. I got the X55R and haven't done much calibration as of yet. I am at 90 hours or so. Figured I would start looking around for different options on how to calibrate it. Actually thought about buying a meter and trying to do it myself.

Have to let me know what you find. Where in the Austin area are you located? I'm in round rock.
post #997 of 1794
I use the term "Austin" loosely. I am in Crystal Falls in Leander. Always been in Austin so I still say I live in Austin even though my zip code says otherwise.
post #998 of 1794
I am teetering between the RS4810 and the Sony 50ES. My concern with the JVC is the dim 3D and the reported disappointment in eshift2.

The Sony is brighter in both 2d and 3d but does not have remote lens movement or memory functions. My PJ will be on the ceiling so once I set it I am done but I would like to zoom for other aspect ratios on my 1.78 screen.

Current owners of the 4810 or X55 convince me!
post #999 of 1794
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveR1952 View Post

I am teetering between the RS4810 and the Sony 50ES. My concern with the JVC is the dim 3D and the reported disappointment in eshift2.

The Sony is brighter in both 2d and 3d but does not have remote lens movement or memory functions. My PJ will be on the ceiling so once I set it I am done but I would like to zoom for other aspect ratios on my 1.78 screen.

Current owners of the 4810 or X55 convince me!
I would not say the eshift 2 is a disappointment. You just have to find the right setting that works for you
post #1000 of 1794
Sony 50 doesn't have good Lens.

I advise you to look carefully to its focus. wink.gif
post #1001 of 1794
Quote:
Originally Posted by tristartristan View Post

Sony 50 doesn't have good Lens.

I advise you to look carefully to its focus. wink.gif

While this is true in general, there are some units that have great focus from corner to corner. It's all luck of the draw.

I realize that owners threads are basically giant circle jerks for people who have the specific unit, but JVC projectors have their faults as well and this model is no different. The Sony is a great projector in many ways and has several advantages over any JVC model. It's brighter, has much better LCOS panels in regards to native response times, which gives better motion handling and motion resolution as well as better 3D performance. Typically (depending on the settings) the JVC can have a better black level and the contrast is actually fairly close between these models. The JVC definitely has a better lens and that has a lot to do with how JVC manufacturers their projectors. If Sony did it the same way JVC did it would greatly benefit the HW30/50.

You need to pick and choose what you like in a projector. If you're wanting LCOS as your projection technology JVC is the way to go if great native contrast and a decent lens are wanted. If you want fantastic motion handling, something brighter, and very good 3D the Sony HW50 should be on your short list in this price range.
post #1002 of 1794
Neither Sony nor JVC manufacturer the lenses used in the projectors under discussion here. They are made in china and purchased. The issue is thje specifications set by either Sony or JVC and of course it all boils down to price. Several years ago, JVC's lens had a significant flaw. JVC then switched from a Japanese lens supplier to a Chinese. Why? To save money. And even though they saved money they were able to get a better lens for less in China.
Edited by mark haflich - 2/23/13 at 12:36pm
post #1003 of 1794
Part of my problem is this is my first front projection system so I am not sure what to expect from the various projectors. I have seen a few setups at the very few places around here (rural area) and it was hard to really tell much as nothing was side by side and the setups were their best of everything...mostly Runco stuff in fully setup theater settings so it has little relation to my setup which is not a dedicated HT but is a Media Room that is as much about music and socialization as it is watching movies. That makes much of the information on these threads moot for me since it appears most of the posters here have dedicated bat cave-like rooms. Mine is dark but not a bat cave by any means.

3D is more of a novelty to me...not something either of us cares much about but when the desire arises, we would like to enjoy the experience...just very infrequently.
post #1004 of 1794
If this is your first projector, you'll be thoroughly impressed with what ever you choose. Either model will blow you away!
post #1005 of 1794
Quote:
If this is your first projector, you'll be thoroughly impressed with what ever you choose. Either model will blow you away!

I totally agree, although I feel the RS4810 is the "sweet spot " of JVC's line up. If anyone is in the market for a new RS4810, give Mike or myself a call for a great deal this week !!
post #1006 of 1794
I just ordered the JVC DLRA48U 3-D projector with the 4k upshift. It will be ceiling mounted, about 16' from the screen. The room width is narrow, at 13' wide, but there will be three rows of seating. There will be a center channel speaker mounted beneath, but no speakers (at this time) mounted behind the screen.

We are doing a permanent fixed screen in our walk-out basement. The screen will be fixed on the wall 30 feet opposite the glass french doors and side window (which faces south). We intend to put plantation shutters on the doors and windows to control/minimize the natural light. I'm sure we'll get some light sneaking in though. Would that be controlled or uncontrolled ambient lighting?

We will be watching mainly sports, TV and some movies, probably not much 3D. What screen surface would work best for our application? Thank you.
post #1007 of 1794
Just ordered a rs4810 from mike at AVS! This is my first projector and I'm very excited, just wanted to share
post #1008 of 1794
Thread Starter 
Congratulations... Your in for a treat! smile.gif
post #1009 of 1794
What ceiling mount is best for the JVC DLRA48U projectors?
post #1010 of 1794
What screens are y'all using with the 4810? Screen shots would be greatly appreciated if possible.

Thanks
post #1011 of 1794
HiPower .... woohoo!! biggrin.gif 2.8 old school. Awesome combo. 2.4 supposed to have the same advantages for protecting from light from the screen hitting outside the screen and then some of it coming back onto it. And also ambient light from the room. Possible to angle lights and leave them on somewhat for more social gathering when not going "bat cave"
post #1012 of 1794
Quote:
Originally Posted by theUnscented View Post

What ceiling mount is best for the JVC DLRA48U projectors?
I don't know if it's the best, but this Peerless mount works great, is cheap, and is easy to set up due to independent roll, pitch, and yaw adjustments. You'll need to run to your local hardware store and buy some M5-.8 x 25mm screws and washers since the screws included with the mount are too short to fit into the JVC's recessed mount holes.

post #1013 of 1794
Does anyone know how to reduce the fan noise of RS4810 when running high lamp mode by using service menu or fan replacement?
It' way louder than HW50 and disturbs me.
post #1014 of 1794
I have a Chief mount, which worked like a dream. I bought the mount, then I had to buy the kit..... I have the threaded pipe and the ceiling plate for sale, you would just have to get the actual projector mount
post #1015 of 1794
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebits View Post

Does anyone know how to reduce the fan noise of RS4810 when running high lamp mode by using service menu or fan replacement?
It' way louder than HW50 and disturbs me.

....you first open up the iris several clicks, then switch the lamp to normal mode.
post #1016 of 1794
Do you run normal lamp mode when watching 3D? It's fundamental issue not solved by iris open up in normal lamp mode.
post #1017 of 1794
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebits View Post

Do you run normal lamp mode when watching 3D? It's fundamental issue not solved by iris open up in normal lamp mode.

I agree with Jedi and would like to run the projector in high lamp mode with the iris wide open for the extra lumens, but the fan noise is too distracting. I have not even bothered measuring the lux difference between high and low lamp mode due to the fan. I am also curious as to why the fan dB go from silent to jet like in high lamp mode even though the perceived increase in light output would not seem to be great enough to require the extra heat dissipation provided by the increased fan speed.
post #1018 of 1794
I have heard there are better and less expensive options for the 3d emitter and glasses from JVC

Anyone?
post #1019 of 1794
Im using the jvc rf emitter, and the supercheap SSG-4100B 3d glasses from samsung. The glasses cost a little over 20usd. Its not the best 3d glasses in the world, but comfy to wear and light at 23 grams.
Sending 4 kids into the theather with 3d glasses costing 200 usd a pair is not an option.
post #1020 of 1794
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamsys View Post

I have heard there are better and less expensive options for the 3d emitter and glasses from JVC

Anyone?
The JVC emitter at around $80 is very reasonably priced. You can also use the newer Panasonic RF/Bluetooth 3D glasses if you're not jazzed by the Samsung ones. I use both the Panasonic and JVC glasses with my RS4810 and I like the JVC ones the best.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP › Offical JVC DLA-RS4810 Owners Thread