or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Sony XBR-HX950 Owners' Thread (XBR-55HX9​50 and XBR-65HX95​0)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sony XBR-HX950 Owners' Thread (XBR-55HX9​50 and XBR-65HX95​0) - Page 69

post #2041 of 4484
Ok Im not in full pixel, i thought i was. The problem is still there. I also tried disconnecting my AV receiver to see if that was causing the problem, its not.
post #2042 of 4484
Mrizz can u post me your settings pls thanks
post #2043 of 4484
Quote:
Originally Posted by gulhi-falhu View Post

Mrizz can u post me your settings pls thanks

see PM
post #2044 of 4484
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMRIZZO View Post

see PM

Can i as well please Rizz, you did send them a while back but i stupidly deleted the message and reset my tv (its an ocd thing).

Cheers,

Aaron
post #2045 of 4484
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaRd2BeAr View Post

Can i as well please Rizz, you did send them a while back but i stupidly deleted the message and reset my tv (its an ocd thing).
Cheers,
Aaron

done
post #2046 of 4484
koffas,

Any thought about the durability of the the Gorilla Glass covering the front? My son threw a block at my Panny GT 65" and cracked the screen the first month we had it. My wall has been empty since then! Do you think the screen is pretty durable and would offer protection from little devils?

Thanks!
post #2047 of 4484
Quote:
Originally Posted by kickalillas2 View Post

Ok Im not in full pixel, i thought i was. The problem is still there. I also tried disconnecting my AV receiver to see if that was causing the problem, its not.

Just exchange the TV.
post #2048 of 4484
Thread Starter 
{duplicate post!}
Edited by koffas - 12/19/12 at 2:11pm
post #2049 of 4484
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kablam View Post

koffas,
Any thought about the durability of the the Gorilla Glass covering the front? My son threw a block at my Panny GT 65" and cracked the screen the first month we had it. My wall has been empty since then! Do you think the screen is pretty durable and would offer protection from little devils?
Thanks!

I have (purposely!) not tested the strength of the gorilla glass on the Sony, but it is definitely more rigid vs the front glass on my PDP panel. The HX950 flexes very little when buffing away fingerprints, etc.

Check out these crazy Israelis hurling remotes at a HX820... resilient, but not indestructible.

post #2050 of 4484
Quote:
Originally Posted by kablam View Post

koffas,
Any thought about the durability of the the Gorilla Glass covering the front? My son threw a block at my Panny GT 65" and cracked the screen the first month we had it. My wall has been empty since then! Do you think the screen is pretty durable and would offer protection from little devils?
Thanks!

Can't guaranty it can withstand that kinda punishment but it is quite durable, but still remember it's GLASS !
post #2051 of 4484
L
Quote:
Originally Posted by koffas View Post

I have (purposely!) not tested the strength of the gorilla glass on the Sony, but it is definitely more rigid vs the front glass on my PDP panel. The HX950 flexes very little when buffing away fingerprints, etc.
Check out these crazy Israelis hurling remotes at a HX820... resilient, but not indestructible.

LOL gotta love Israelis!! That's insane
post #2052 of 4484
koffas, Da'Rizz, et. al...

Nothing like some simulated real world testing -that's really funny -the remote toss olympic even:) I purposely haven't bounced any "tennis/dog" balls off mine yet, but I'm sure I'll get a "just a bit outside" one of these days and hit it on a bank. I really don't think it will hurt it, but I definitely wouldn't encourage it....still laughing at the remotes. The scouts might start watching your fireballer who threw a block at the screen. He must have really been happy with whatever was happening at the time. lol, good end to a stressful day...
post #2053 of 4484
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hdfanboy444 View Post

L
LOL gotta love Israelis!! That's insane



They have missiles dropping on their heads every day. I'd think throwing remotes around the house would be considered sport! biggrin.gif
post #2054 of 4484
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarrettF77 View Post

I haven't taken any sets back over a channel not looking right smart@$$. 8 sets went back between the TWO sets I bought and still own 2! The ones that went back had a cluster of dead pixels in the middle, a few stuck pixels on the screen, severe banding down the middle that was a huge distraction after giving it 3 weeks and trying to adjust to it, and two had little balls of fuzz under the glass that appeared as dark spots on the panel. If you would pay what the TV costs and keep them then you are probably what every low quality television manufacturer wants. Next....
nothing wrong with taking sets back..i just took a cheapshot because you gave me one..no harm done and i agree with you about taking those sets back..i just got two pms from people that told me they had the same defect with 3d and didnt know what was going on..i told them what mike50 said and hopefully they can get those 850s back...i think i might have some banding on my 950 55 and have clouding when local dimming is off but im going to keep it since i dont watch anything with local dimming off and i just put up with it while playing games because its very faint..
post #2055 of 4484
question for the guys that watch br and 3d using a ps3 on the 950..do you plan on getting a stand alone player or do you think ps3 is fine..when i paid for my 950 i was talked into getting the sony 790 player but i think i may take it back because for some reason imo the ps3 plays 3d br better. maybe the 790 has some upscaling for dvd and better pq for reg br so thats why he talked me into it..i dont know, still need to watch a dvd and reg br but i really think ps3 is better for 3d than the 790..
post #2056 of 4484
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellotv View Post

question for the guys that watch br and 3d using a ps3 on the 950..do you plan on getting a stand alone player or do you think ps3 is fine..when i paid for my 950 i was talked into getting the sony 790 player but i think i may take it back because for some reason imo the ps3 plays 3d br better. maybe the 790 has some upscaling for dvd and better pq for reg br so thats why he talked me into it..i dont know, still need to watch a dvd and reg br but i really think ps3 is better for 3d than the 790..

PS3 is fine, but does not play MKV encoded movies. So, I also have a stand alone for that purpose.
post #2057 of 4484
I have been working my way through this lengthy thread and reading reviews on the 950. Forgive me if this has been answered, but has anyone confirmed whether the 950 has significantly more picture deterioration than the 929 when viewed off-angle?
post #2058 of 4484
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldmine848 View Post

I have been working my way through this lengthy thread and reading reviews on the 950. Forgive me if this has been answered, but has anyone confirmed whether the 950 has significantly more picture deterioration than the 929 when viewed off-angle?

I don't remember anyone posting that comparison, And these panels vary somewhat, so some panels get better off-axis viewing (but not by a significant difference) than others.
Edited by IMRIZZO - 12/20/12 at 5:15pm
post #2059 of 4484
Thought I'd share my experience thus far with my XBR65HX950. Sony is definitely not the Sony I grew up on. They now assemble their flagship TVs in Mexico and boy does it show. I'm on the exchange merry-go-round and I'm on set number 4 right now. Every single set has significant banding issues. I can't imagine I'll find one without it so I'll call Sony and see what they can do, I'm done hauling a 65" TV back and forth....it's not that much fun believe it or not. I'm holding out hope that Sony can deliver one without it because aside from the banding, it's a very impressive set with an amazing picture. For $5k though you shouldn't have to watch football through cloudy black bars.
post #2060 of 4484
@Mbart11
Four sets with the same color banding issues? Sounds more like a problem with source. Are you seeing the same issues with multiple inputs ( blu-ray vs. hd cable/sat? ). Also what does your wiring situation look like? $5 hdmi cables from Amazon or something decent (not monster cable)......?

For every PS3 owner that uses it for blu ray playback, consider an Oppo. You won't regret it! I love my BDP-103. If you have enough dough for this tv, you have enough $$ for good cables (don't even start with the zeroes and ones retort) and a great blu ray player.
post #2061 of 4484
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartizi View Post

@Mbart11
Four sets with the same color banding issues? Sounds more like a problem with source. Are you seeing the same issues with multiple inputs ( blu-ray vs. hd cable/sat? ). Also what does your wiring situation look like? $5 hdmi cables from Amazon or something decent (not monster cable)......?
For every PS3 owner that uses it for blu ray playback, consider an Oppo. You won't regret it! I love my BDP-103. If you have enough dough for this tv, you have enough $$ for good cables (don't even start with the zeroes and ones retort) and a great blu ray player.

The source has nothing to do with it. What's funny is the best image to see it on is a grey background and Sony's own no input screen is grey. All you need to do is switch to an hdmi input without a source and you will see it.

I'm getting my replacement today.
post #2062 of 4484
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartizi View Post

@Mbart11
Four sets with the same color banding issues? Sounds more like a problem with source. Are you seeing the same issues with multiple inputs ( blu-ray vs. hd cable/sat? ). Also what does your wiring situation look like? $5 hdmi cables from Amazon or something decent (not monster cable)......?
For every PS3 owner that uses it for blu ray playback, consider an Oppo. You won't regret it! I love my BDP-103. If you have enough dough for this tv, you have enough $$ for good cables (don't even start with the zeroes and ones retort) and a great blu ray player.

From everything I've read on strictly a PQ standpoint there is no difference between the PS3 and the Oppo. And from your comment about the cables, it's obvious you've fallen into plantinum plated, diamond studded HDMI cable trap. The guys at Best Buy must love it when you walk through the doors smile.gif
post #2063 of 4484
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbart11 View Post

Thought I'd share my experience thus far with my XBR65HX950. Sony is definitely not the Sony I grew up on. They now assemble their flagship TVs in Mexico and boy does it show. I'm on the exchange merry-go-round and I'm on set number 4 right now. Every single set has significant banding issues. I can't imagine I'll find one without it so I'll call Sony and see what they can do, I'm done hauling a 65" TV back and forth....it's not that much fun believe it or not. I'm holding out hope that Sony can deliver one without it because aside from the banding, it's a very impressive set with an amazing picture. For $5k though you shouldn't have to watch football through cloudy black bars.

You have more patience than I.
post #2064 of 4484
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Sloan View Post

You have more patience than I.

I went through 4 sets for each of the two I bought. One good one came from song after escalating to national relations, the other came from best buy and waiting until I got a more recent build. One has a slight band, but it's less severe than the other. The other has to light bands on either sides of the Sony logo. I see it as a matter or principle. If they are content to charge what they do, I will make it a point to keep swapping. I pissed Sony off on the number of exchanges, but unfortunately, aside from the overpriced elite, this is the best option aside from Plasma which I'll never do again due to IR and BI. One shouldn't have to babysit a TV. Just use it.
post #2065 of 4484
Hello

I'm a new HX950 owner and I have a question. Is there a way to configure the HX950 to receiver the Rovi guide through the wireless network rather than broadcast? Rovi is discontinuing the broadcast TVGOS service.

Thanks
James
post #2066 of 4484
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog750 View Post

From everything I've read on strictly a PQ standpoint there is no difference between the PS3 and the Oppo. And from your comment about the cables, it's obvious you've fallen into plantinum plated, diamond studded HDMI cable trap. The guys at Best Buy must love it when you walk through the doors smile.gif

There is a diff in PQ between the two.
Edited by CRITICALSHOT - 12/22/12 at 11:09am
post #2067 of 4484
I was potential buyer of 65hx950, but after seeing so many QC issues I went with Elite 70"
sure Elite costs more, just don't want to go through hell of exchanges
post #2068 of 4484
Exactly what Phil said. The source has nothing to do with vertical banding. You don't even need to plug anything into the set to see the issue immediately on Sony input screen.

Just to answer your question though. Brand new Sony 790 Blu-ray player and Sony HDMI cables.
post #2069 of 4484
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRITICALSHOT View Post

There is diff in PQ between the two.

There certainly is .....
post #2070 of 4484
Quote:
Originally Posted by jebiggers View Post

Hello
I'm a new HX950 owner and I have a question. Is there a way to configure the HX950 to receiver the Rovi guide through the wireless network rather than broadcast? Rovi is discontinuing the broadcast TVGOS service.
Thanks
James

Not sure if this helps, but check this article and see if HX950 has an option to receive data via Internet upon initial Guide set up. Link: http://www.kb.sony.com/selfservice/documentLink.do?externalId=C1032343
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: LCD Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Sony XBR-HX950 Owners' Thread (XBR-55HX9​50 and XBR-65HX95​0)