or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Sony XBR-HX950 Owners' Thread (XBR-55HX9​50 and XBR-65HX95​0)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sony XBR-HX950 Owners' Thread (XBR-55HX9​50 and XBR-65HX95​0) - Page 71

post #2101 of 4483
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog750 View Post

I'm close to pulling the trigger on a 65". I'm just going down to the wire deciding on the Elite 70" vs the Sony 65". Lots of info to wade through. Both are very close in price. (Elite can be had through BB for about $200 more on a price match) the extra 5" isnt really that big a deal though. The bigger the picture, the easier it is to see the flaws in the signal.

IMHO the Sony is the way to go. Sharp isn't issuing a new model of their LED panels due to lack of sales.
post #2102 of 4483
How do you know this? I'm curious because I've been holding out to see if they do an 80" Elite or something close to it. Did Sharp make an announcement?
post #2103 of 4483
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sick Mother View Post

How do you know this? I'm curious because I've been holding out to see if they do an 80" Elite or something close to it. Did Sharp make an announcement?

They wouldn't even discuss any updates on the progress of the Eliite at CES,.nor did they make any announcement at the 2012 shootout
post #2104 of 4483
? CES isn't for another 3 weeks.
post #2105 of 4483
Why is your username so creepy?
post #2106 of 4483
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sick Mother View Post

? CES isn't for another 3 weeks.

the CES 2012, new 2013 CES is in Late Jan
post #2107 of 4483
Please don't think I'm being argumentative because I'm just looking for info but I don't understand how Sharp not announcing any new Elite models in January of 2012 means there will be no new or revised models in 2013. It would seem to me if Sharp wants to stay in business the last thing they would do is stop releasing new products. If I had to guess I would say an 80" Elite is in the works, albeit at a ridiculous price. Unfortunately Sharp hasn't called me about any of their business decisions...
post #2108 of 4483
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sick Mother View Post

Please don't think I'm being argumentative because I'm just looking for info but I don't understand how Sharp not announcing any new Elite models in January of 2012 means there will be no new or revised models in 2013. It would seem to me if Sharp wants to stay in business the last thing they would do is stop releasing new products. If I had to guess I would say an 80" Elite is in the works, albeit at a ridiculous price. Unfortunately Sharp hasn't called me about any of their business decisions...

This is a snippet quote from a financial news report on Sharp:

"In the most dire warning, Sharp forecast on Thursday a 450 billion yen ($5.6 billion) full-year loss and warned that it had “material doubts” about its ability to survive."

With those kind of loses and news that they are looking for a buyer, I doubt they will be turning out any 80" Elites anytime soon. My only interest is the fact that their current Elites are so heavily discounted if you can still find them. But I'm personally still leaning towards the Sony.
Edited by kdog750 - 12/24/12 at 9:19pm
post #2109 of 4483
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog750 View Post

This is a snippet quote from a financial news report on Sharp:
"In the most dire warning, Sharp forecast on Thursday a 450 billion yen ($5.6 billion) full-year loss and warned that it had “material doubts” about its ability to survive."
With those kind of loses and news that they are looking for a buyer, I doubt they will be turning out any 80" Elites anytime soon. My only interest is the fact that their current Elites are so heavily discounted if you can still find them. But I'm personally still leaning towards the Sony.

None of you guys know because you don't work for sharp. They have to release new product if they are gonna attract sales. Wait and see is the best approach for CES.
post #2110 of 4483
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sick Mother View Post

? CES isn't for another 3 weeks.

CES 2012]
post #2111 of 4483
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarrettF77 View Post

None of you guys know because you don't work for sharp. They have to release new product if they are gonna attract sales. Wait and see is the best approach for CES.

Yes, it is speculation. And unless you are top brass at Sharp, probably most of the people working there don't know for absolutely sure. I just personally can't imagine them going forward with a business approach that lost them 6 billion dollars. I would think at the very least, if they even survive, they would have to pull back and change business strategies instead of continuing down the same path.
post #2112 of 4483
Did Sony make a profit this year? Years past they also have lost money....http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/11/02/us-sony-earnings-idUSTRE7A10UG20111102
post #2113 of 4483
Quote:
Originally Posted by Browninggold View Post

Did Sony make a profit this year? Years past they also have lost money....http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/11/02/us-sony-earnings-idUSTRE7A10UG20111102

Yes, they lost money too but they didn't make a public announcement saying they had material doubts about their ability to survive. It's good business to be optimistic in light of corporate bad news. So if they are saying they are not sure if they can even survive, it must be pretty bad.
post #2114 of 4483
Quote:
Originally Posted by Browninggold View Post

Did Sony make a profit this year? Years past they also have lost money....http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/11/02/us-sony-earnings-idUSTRE7A10UG20111102

No. SNE's net profit margin is reported to be negative during the last 12 months based on the report I read.
post #2115 of 4483
I just bought the Panasonic TC-P65VT50 and the flicker is so bad I can't stand it. During white scenes it is almost unbearable.

Therefore, I am looking at alternatives.

Can any current owner of the Sony XBR-65HX950 comment on screen flicker especially during white scenes?

I'd like to pull the trigger but not if flicker is apparent.

Also, if you could comment on the SOE on this panel as well I would appreciate it.
post #2116 of 4483
Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmos5861 View Post

I am torn between this LCD XBR HX950 and the Panasonic VT 50 Plasma. I called two local high stores and both claim that i will be very disappointed with the 950 compared to the VT50 for multiple issues. One of them being motion blur since i mentioned I watch a lot of soccer games. I then called one of the well know company that post a lot on this site and they said the same that i will be the VT 50 was superior over the 950. Thoughts?

I'm actually considering returning my TC-P65VT50 because of flicker issues. Hopefully the Sony doesn't have this issue!
post #2117 of 4483
The Sony 950s that I have seen did not have Motion blur while watching sports. Cannot comment on the white screen question. I know for certain Sony pjs are considered by many to have the best sports watching picture. I had no complaints with my Sony VW90ES pj and I imagine they have it figured out with their flat panels also.
post #2118 of 4483
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy-r View Post

BB delivered my HX950 and picked up the VT50 yesterday, although they did show up 2 hours late..

Did they just haul the bare TV away? Did you still have the original packaging? Or, was that not required?
post #2119 of 4483
Quote:
Originally Posted by THX View Post

I just bought the Panasonic TC-P65VT50 and the flicker is so bad I can't stand it. During white scenes it is almost unbearable.
Therefore, I am looking at alternatives.
Can any current owner of the Sony XBR-65HX950 comment on screen flicker especially during white scenes?
I'd like to pull the trigger but not if flicker is apparent.
Also, if you could comment on the SOE on this panel as well I would appreciate it.

My 65HX950 has no flicker, ever. The panel really is amazing in pretty much all respects. Just make sure LED Dyanmic Control is set to Low or Standard.

As for motion there are lots of combinations but most are similar, just leave it at Motionflow Standard and Cinemotion Auto 1 and it is good for all content with almost no SOE. On really fast motion though it is still not perfect, but I don't think any LCD is.....

Another great thing about it is the panel never produces any heat at all, even in hot weather! I am not sure if other LCD's these days do or don't, but my older Samsung Series 6 definitely did...
Edited by XxDeadlyxX - 12/25/12 at 2:14pm
post #2120 of 4483
Quote:
Originally Posted by XxDeadlyxX View Post

My 65HX950 has no flicker, ever. The panel really is amazing in pretty much all respects. Just make sure LED Dyanmic Control is set to Low or Standard.
As for motion there are lots of combinations but most are similar, just leave it at Motionflow Standard and Cinemotion Auto 1 and it is good for all content with almost no SOE. On really fast motion though it is still not perfect, but I don't think any LCD is.....
Another great thing about it is the panel never produces any heat at all, even in hot weather! I am not sure if other LCD's these days do or don't, but my older Samsung Series 6 definitely did...

What is your issue as per this display with fast motion content?
post #2121 of 4483
The motion interpolation just seems to struggle slightly more when it is fast movement... it's just the way it is. The only way to solve it is to enable Motionflow Smooth and Cinemotion Auto 1 which introduces EXTREME SOE but it does fix the problem.... but is obviously not worth even trying to watch due to the SOE and artifacts....

But it may not be helping that I'm using a htpc at 24hz (mpc-hc with madvr).... I think standalone players produce slightly smoother output to begin with... from my testing with my Oppo 103 and PS3.
post #2122 of 4483
Quote:
Originally Posted by THX View Post

Did they just haul the bare TV away? Did you still have the original packaging? Or, was that not required?

BB is really cool about returns. We returned 2 LaserVues. At delivery the boxes were hauled away, but BB didn't care. They just took the bare TVs.
It's mostly because they 'refurb' and resell in those discount piles you see in the stores. (Why I will never buy anything in those piles.)
post #2123 of 4483
Hello everybody,

I had some banding/dse on my 55HX950 and i want to change my set but i'm not sure the replacement set will be better and i don't want to loose my time if it's too hard to got perfect (normal) set...

For the owners haved exchange their 55HX950, have you got a set without banding ? My impression is HX950 without banding exists only for reviews and owners don't see what problem frown.gif

Thank's wink.gif

Excuse my poor english/us frown.gif
post #2124 of 4483
New owners who are having a difficult getting results from Sony's service number. The best way to get quick results is to post your experiences to SonyListens facebook. Their consumer/reps try to expedite your problems because Sony''s quality is being tracked through those sites and they try their best to resolve any problems. Try it, Sony knows it's consumer reputation is visible to anyone with researching a purchase. Don't signon and BLAST Sony that will only build a wall.
post #2125 of 4483
Thank's Imrizzo, i'm in France and writed my problem on official Sony Forum and called Sony to explaind my problem. Sony say to me, only 1% of HX950 have banding problem, lol smile.gif Songs different to user forums...

My dealer can only repair the TV by change the LCD screen part, it's dangereous and i don't want to do that for notthing... I go to try Facebook but HX950 it's only available from 8 december here, it's the reason i try to ask you the question. You had more experience with the HX950

Can you give me the exact adress to Sony Listen because i found one by Google but it's strange adress... Thank's
Edited by Davids777 - 12/26/12 at 7:11am
post #2126 of 4483
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davids777 View Post

Thank's Imrizzo, i'm in France and writed my problem on official Sony Forum and called Sony to explaind my problem. Sony say to me, only 1% of HX950 have banding problem, lol smile.gif Songs different to user forums...
My dealer can only repair the TV by change the LCD screen part, it's dangereous and i don't want to do that for notthing... I go to try Facebook but HX950 it's only available from 8 december here, it's the reason i try to ask you the question. You had more experience with the HX950
Can you give me the exact adress to Sony Listen because i found one by Google but it's strange adress... Thank's

Try this but it may be USA only but check for international links

http://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=407696361612&id=182875766612
post #2127 of 4483
Quote:
Originally Posted by kickalillas2 View Post

Ok Im not in full pixel, i thought i was. The problem is still there. I also tried disconnecting my AV receiver to see if that was causing the problem, its not.

I know what you're talking about. Although I have not noticed this on the TV yet as I have not tried it. But are you using a 1080i source ?

I remember back watching Eurocup on my projector with a 1080i source and was noticing the blur are pixelated area around the players. I believe the screen size plays a role in this. The picture looked perfectly fine on my 55XBR8 with 1080i source but when I was watching it on the projector on a 125 inch screen did seem to notice that too.

Is this normal with blu ray movies or video games in 1080p content or just with sports even on 1080p ?
post #2128 of 4483
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog750 View Post

I'm close to pulling the trigger on a 65". I'm just going down to the wire deciding on the Elite 70" vs the Sony 65". Lots of info to wade through. Both are very close in price. (Elite can be had through BB for about $200 more on a price match) the extra 5" isnt really that big a deal though. The bigger the picture, the easier it is to see the flaws in the signal.

I heard ELITE doesnt suffer from banding issues and dead pixels. Since ELITE now has RGBY pixels, u might need the yellow pattern to test it out. I suggest you test the one on display for any faults but once again you can never be sure until you take one home. Also SHARP makes their own panels due to RGBY as no other TV uses the fourth sub-pixel. If you can afford the 70 inch ELITE try it out.

I was really upset with my 65HX950 on the dead pixel (now seem to be noticing banding on the set too) and the way i was treated by the Store Manager at the Sony Store so I would recommend the ELITE but it's just an opinion.
post #2129 of 4483
Quote:
Originally Posted by phil_ View Post

Here's my first attempt at capturing it on camera. I find it's most obvious with a dark grey background. I'm attaching the background I used. Can someone who had banding and replaced a set compare?
IMG_4079.jpg 2222k .jpg file background.JPG 33k .JPG file


phil_: What is the build date of your 950?
post #2130 of 4483
Quote:
Originally Posted by kablam View Post

koffas,
Any thought about the durability of the the Gorilla Glass covering the front? My son threw a block at my Panny GT 65" and cracked the screen the first month we had it. My wall has been empty since then! Do you think the screen is pretty durable and would offer protection from little devils?
Thanks!

How did you get your GT65 screen replaced? Return it to the manufacturer or place where you bought it?

How much was the damage?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: LCD Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Sony XBR-HX950 Owners' Thread (XBR-55HX9​50 and XBR-65HX95​0)