or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Sony XBR-HX950 Owners' Thread (XBR-55HX9​50 and XBR-65HX95​0)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sony XBR-HX950 Owners' Thread (XBR-55HX9​50 and XBR-65HX95​0) - Page 75

post #2221 of 4490
I've noticed that also on Samsung thread. Now it's happening on this thread. Maybe they get a commission for every Panasonic sold
post #2222 of 4490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Browninggold View Post

I've noticed that also on Samsung thread. Now it's happening on this thread. Maybe they get a commission for every Panasonic sold

Or maybe i had 3 bad 950's, so i posted my problems to see if anyone else similar problems and someone reached out for a comparison. Believe me i would rather have an led so i wouldn't have to deal with burn in/image retention or babying my set.
post #2223 of 4490
Shoulda tried 4
post #2224 of 4490
Quote:
Originally Posted by kickalillas2 View Post

Or maybe i had 3 bad 950's, so i posted my problems to see if anyone else similar problems and someone reached out for a comparison. Believe me i would rather have an led so i wouldn't have to deal with burn in/image retention or babying my set.

Well, get used to babying it unfortunately. I'm still paranoid about pausing my 950 after a years worth of owning two plasmas. Just a hint of what's to come. Once you start seeing dark spots on the TV or burn in, your stomach will drop and at this point it just keeps getting worse. Swap it out and do it as many times if need be. For the years you keep a set, a little up front frustration is worth it versus years of babying a set that will ultimately still develope the shortcomings of the technology.

Just trying to spare you from what I went through. 200 hours of break in slides, 500 hours of full screen content, and no gaming until 1000 hours. I still had both sets develop this issue. The white bar cleaning also doesn't do anything either. Actually found it over stresses the power supply which is why the TV limits it for 15 minutes. So, you see where that is heading. Panasonic is one of the best plasma makers. They just chose to cheapen it by not making it the same as the Kuru. That pioneer is the only plasma I've ever seen not have IR or BI. A buddy has one and it's very impressive.
post #2225 of 4490
Just throwing this out here if anyone has done this. Has anyone had any luck with Best Buy price matching EastCoast TVs?
post #2226 of 4490
Quote:
Originally Posted by THX View Post

Question posed...
What other sets currently out there can compete and go head-to-head with the Sony XBR-65HX950?
So far, I have the following:
Panasonic TC-P65VT50
Sony XBR-84X900
Sharp Elite PRO-70X5FD
Thoughts?
I'd throw the 6500, 7000 and 8000 Samsung plasmas in there. They don't have quite the blacks of the VT50 but they're excellent everywhere else (still excellent in black levels as well). They also have superior processing for signals less than 1080p, the IR handling is the best of all the plasmas, and reports of uniformity issues are extremely low. I put all three up for contention because I think they all share the same panel and features picture quality wise.

Also, I forget what the name of Sony's best edge-lit LCD is but apparently it has good uniformity (rare for edge-lit), the blacks are good for edge-lit, and it doesn't have the haloing issues that local-dimming displays have. However, I think it's only in a 55" size.
post #2227 of 4490
Hello, i am from Holland and am in the process to buy the KDL 65HX950.
I can get a good deal to trade in a not so good Sharp LC-60LE635E with a lot of clouding, and ghosting in fast moving objects like balls in a soccor game.
This can be a good deal as i will receive a 1250 euro discount on the 5000 euro costing 65HX, so the Sharp will cost me just 250 euro for 14 month of Sharp use (1500 euro new price)......

After reading through this 75 page forum i am a bit worried about the "problems" with the 65 inch models mentoined, banding, dead pixels ect.
But i also see that your XBR models are on the marked for 3 - 4 month now and even now the 65HX is not in the stores yet, no HX950 model can be found.
Maybe Sony Europe is holding back until problems are solved, if that is even possible ?

I can get a good deal but i do not want to spend this amount of euro's and get banding and dead pixels instade of clouding and ghosting
Edited by CBdicX - 1/6/13 at 1:10pm
post #2228 of 4490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Browninggold View Post

Just throwing this out here if anyone has done this. Has anyone had any luck with Best Buy price matching EastCoast TVs?

I got them to match this websites price http://www.greystoneappliance.com/Sony-Bravia-XBR-55HX950-55-1080p-3D-LED-HDTV-p/xbr-55hx950.htm . one store said no but the other after some talking finally did.
post #2229 of 4490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Browninggold View Post

Just throwing this out here if anyone has done this. Has anyone had any luck with Best Buy price matching EastCoast TVs?

Usually they will price-match an authorized SONY resale site, of which East Coast TV is not. So I'm certain they will not honor their pricing.
Edited by IMRIZZO - 1/6/13 at 10:00am
post #2230 of 4490
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRITICALSHOT View Post

Something here does not sound right; if you used Flavs setting then you do not have the BL on Min/0. If you do a search on this thread you will see 4 or more impressions of the VT50 including mine. I think this halo/blur thing was just ignorance to the effect of Motionflow/Cinemotion usage. The other issues certainly are there as I had 2 dead pixels on my first display; but I am good to go now.

Such a shame he found it necessary to dump the 950 and deal with all the plasma problems. As an update, still using my settings for all content, and still happy with my 950.
post #2231 of 4490
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMRIZZO View Post

Usually they will price-match an authorized SONY resale site, of which East Coast TV is not. So I'm certain they will not honor their pricing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyyankees3511 View Post

I got them to match this websites price http://www.greystoneappliance.com/Sony-Bravia-XBR-55HX950-55-1080p-3D-LED-HDTV-p/xbr-55hx950.htm . one store said no but the other after some talking finally did.
Thanks
post #2232 of 4490
Has any one tested the from 2D to 3D option (standard 2D content converted to 3D) ?
Was it any good ?
post #2233 of 4490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavius View Post

Such a shame he found it necessary to dump the 950 and deal with all the plasma problems. As an update, still using my settings for all content, and still happy with my 950.

He has a few weeks. I'd say use it like you want, them out some of those color break in slides up and look how even the TV is still. It seems to double each month. At least it did for me. But on the bright side, I got BB to take my two back as the sold me the sets saying IR and BI weren't possible. Worked out.
post #2234 of 4490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Browninggold View Post

Thanks

BTW the best time to buy at bestbuy is the end of the month, they have corporate quota's to fill and are more likely to 'deal'. I bought a set from them on the 30th of the month and was able to get them down $400.00 on a 2400. set. Just keep acting hesitant.
post #2235 of 4490
Is it normal for the backlighting on black to be uneven? like when launching the browser it turns black but not fully off as usual I notice some bright spots on that transition.
post #2236 of 4490
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMRIZZO View Post

BTW the best time to buy at bestbuy is the end of the month, they have corporate quota's to fill and are more likely to 'deal'. I bought a set from them on the 30th of the month and was able to get them down $400.00 on a 2400. set. Just keep acting hesitant.
Thanks for the info. Makes since, kind of like the Fuzz giving more tickets out to meet the quota.
post #2237 of 4490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavius View Post

Such a shame he found it necessary to dump the 950 and deal with all the plasma problems. As an update, still using my settings for all content, and still happy with my 950.
I agree with you, Flavius. I've been quiet for a while, but I'm still lurking. I've had my 55 hx950 for over 3 months now, and I am still thrilled with it. And I'm very happy I returned my Panny VT50 plasma to get a hx950. I don't mind a little plasma discussion here as long as it is done in proper comparison/contrast to the hx950. Obviously people are going to have different opinions, and some people are bothered more by various things such as blooming, flicker, etc.

In my experience, the blooming is the only drawback of the hx950. My VT50 drove me nuts with plasma dithering/noise, flicker, fan noise, burn-in, ABL, black levels that were dark gray at best, and horizontal bleeding of the color. Using the TV as a screen to a HTPC really highlighted these drawbacks, and clearly showed me how bad plasma is, and how good the hx950 is.

It is sad to hear from other hx950 owners going through quality control issues with their sets because this is a fabulous TV if you get a good one.

One thing I can notice at times with the hx950 is a horizontal line screen door effect when there is a fixed area of a medium blue. I notice it only when visiting certain webpages or in certain background images; I don't think I've noticed it when watching movies or TV shows. Maybe I'm sitting too close to the TV, but it is cheaper to sit closer to a 55" than to buy a 65" and sit further away. smile.gif
post #2238 of 4490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Browninggold View Post

Just throwing this out here if anyone has done this. Has anyone had any luck with Best Buy price matching EastCoast TVs?

I haven't tried on a Sony yet (I'm watching the prices), but I've had them price match them on another high end TV (for something like 40% off).

My Magnolia/BB said they would match items sold by Amazon and any price on Google Shopping as long as the seller has a star rating.
That includes EastCoast and PowerSellerNYC (who used to have some great prices).

It's especially true for Sony TVs. Although Best Buy can't have a sale for less than Sony's set price, they ARE allowed to price match competitors.
It's a loop hole some Best Buys are willing to exploit. You may need to try more than one though.
post #2239 of 4490
The KDL65HX950 is marketed in Holland as a "Internet" tv, but is it realy useble as a internet tool and could it replace my laptop ?
Can i simple check mail, can a brows the internet easy without the use of a mouse, is replying to mail easy (typing) ect.ect.

Do not know if "your" XBR models have also the Sony internet option, we also get 2x BR 250B with the tv........
post #2240 of 4490
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBdicX View Post

The KDL65HX950 is marketed in Holland as a "Internet" tv, but is it realy useble as a internet tool and could it replace my laptop ?
Can i simple check mail, can a brows the internet easy without the use of a mouse, is replying to mail easy (typing) ect.ect.
Do not know if "your" XBR models have also the Sony internet option, we also get 2x BR 250B with the tv........

They are not offered w/glasses here, that I am aware of.
post #2241 of 4490
The time on my 950 keeps getting reset to 1/1/2012 which is already pretty annoying. Is this normal? I'm guessing it's from loosing power but if so, it gets reset pretty quickly. The TV is on my network so you'd think it would update time over the net. I keep finding out because the guide info goes very wrong.
post #2242 of 4490
Thread Starter 
I didn't see any mention of a full-array LED-LCD in Sony's CES press releases. HDGuru claims the W900 replaces the XBR950. CNET expects it to cost less given that it's an edge-lit display.
post #2243 of 4490
Sony is unveiling two new 4K LED TV models with 55- and 65-inch screen sizes (the XBR-65X900A and the XBR-55X900A) to be introduced this spring. Both deliver the same stunning 4K resolution but at a more accessible price range to bring the 4K viewing experience to an even wider audience.

Still can return my 65HX950 til January 15! What to do now :S
post #2244 of 4490
We wouldn't blame you if you cried tears of agony when you realized that you could afford neither the $25,000 nor the space in your home to accommodate Sony's 84-inch 4K Ultra HD TV. Fortunately for you, the company is announcing 65 and 55-inch versions that'll occupy less room in your home while still pumping out 4K images. Both offer a Triluminous display with the company's X-Reality PRO and Motionflow XR960 technology, WiFi and NFC one-touch screen mirroring. At the same time, the company's launching a range of "Mastered in 4K" Blu-ray discs, but sadly the constraints of the format mean the discs will only output footage at 1080p (but then it'll be upscaled back to 4K). The pair will arrive in the spring, but the company doesn't want to talk pricing beyond intimating that you won't need to calculate the fee in the number of sedan cars you could buy instead.

- From Engadget
post #2245 of 4490
The price hasn't been announced but I would guess it is going to be 2k to 3k more expensive. If you don't mind paying high price for having latest tech, go for it. I used to do that but not anymore.

I have 55" HX955 (I currently live in thailand). I'm not going to upgrade to 4K at this point. Virtually there is no real 4K contents. Sony is going to release some their own early version of 4K Blu-Rays but those seems to be just fancy up-scaling. So you won't be taking advantages of having 4K at all. I have seen 84" 4K TV several times at sony store. It was impressive but not as much as I imagined. That is because they were showing only up-scaled video. Also X900A is only edge-lit, not full-array like our HX950s. I would wait 2 or 3 years for 4K to mature. By that time, we might be able to buy 4K OLED or Crystal LED TV at around $4000 to $5000.
post #2246 of 4490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazi00 View Post

Sony is unveiling two new 4K LED TV models with 55- and 65-inch screen sizes (the XBR-65X900A and the XBR-55X900A) to be introduced this spring. Both deliver the same stunning 4K resolution but at a more accessible price range to bring the 4K viewing experience to an even wider audience.
Still can return my 65HX950 til January 15! What to do now :S

Makes no sence to me to wait for a 4K tv, there is no 4K content.
Cable companies will put out max 1080i, and that is in XD format, not even HD ! (at least in Holland....)
And up-scaling crappy XD content (or even Blu ray) to 4K is also not making the picture look better, crap IN, crap OUT.
4K will only work at its best with 4K content, and how long will that take ?.
50% of all the studio camera's used in TV studio's in Europe are SD, so 50% of the "HD" content is upscaled lower res material, and it shows :-(
The Olympics were in HD and that showed, crisp and clear pictures.
But now we are back to at best XD and we have the fussy pictures back on the screen..........
post #2247 of 4490
Is there even the slightest reason to have a 4k TV in 'normal' sized (55-65+) inches? It seems to me to be all marketing hoopla to sell more sets. 4K would probably be great if you wanted a 85 inch tv, isnt'that what it's really for?
post #2248 of 4490
Think it would be a great item for a hospital, to see high res pictures of your wiener......... :-)
post #2249 of 4490
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBdicX View Post

Think it would be a great item for a hospital, to see high res pictures of your wiener......... :-)
How come you want to see a high res. picture of "my wiener" geeesh
post #2250 of 4490
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBdicX View Post

Makes no sence to me to wait for a 4K tv, there is no 4K content.
Cable companies will put out max 1080i, and that is in XD format, not even HD ! (at least in Holland....)
And up-scaling crappy XD content (or even Blu ray) to 4K is also not making the picture look better, crap IN, crap OUT.
4K will only work at its best with 4K content, and how long will that take ?.
50% of all the studio camera's used in TV studio's in Europe are SD, so 50% of the "HD" content is upscaled lower res material, and it shows :-(
The Olympics were in HD and that showed, crisp and clear pictures.
But now we are back to at best XD and we have the fussy pictures back on the screen..........

Yep, we can't count of TV for 4K broadcast. And 4K streaming is a joke. That is nothing more than upscaling. Only thing we can count on is TRUE 4K Blu-Ray movie and player. Who knows how long we have to wait until we can actually buy it. For many years, Pioneer, Panasonic, GE, and few others have been developing 500GB to 1TB crazy number of layer Blu-Ray disc but I don't think it has been standardized yet.

Sony stated that PS4, which should be launched sometime this years, is going to support 4K. However, not natively I assume. Games will likely run 1080p natively and upscale that to 4K.

Sadly, at this point, 4K = Up-scaling.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: LCD Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Sony XBR-HX950 Owners' Thread (XBR-55HX9​50 and XBR-65HX95​0)