or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Sony XBR-HX950 Owners' Thread (XBR-55HX9​50 and XBR-65HX95​0)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sony XBR-HX950 Owners' Thread (XBR-55HX9​50 and XBR-65HX95​0) - Page 85

post #2521 of 4483
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danediz View Post

How much better is this set compared to the 850?

To anyone seeking peak PQ there is a significant difference.
post #2522 of 4483
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmay91472 View Post

Since the hx950 replacement won't be announced most likely until the fall combined with Sony's success at getting retailers to abide by their pricing guidelines.... Probably wont see any significant discount any time soon.

Are you not happy with your ES?

The ES is okay and without faults. After selling my d6000 I was going to get the new Sony w900a later this year if it lives up to the hype. I had my heart set on a Sony to replace my d6000. Unfortunately the 850 magically discontinued earlier than normal... I'm wondering that rather than having two sets that will cost me ~3500 (es7100=1500 and w900a =2000) that I should have one amazing hx950 that's 3200?
post #2523 of 4483
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmay91472 View Post

LOL. That's a pretty significant difference which eliminates flashlighting and uniformity issues associated with edge lit panels. 950 is significantly better than the 850... But almost identical to the previous 929 series.

I think you will find full led backlit sets can and do suffer with flashlighting and clouding.

Aaron
post #2524 of 4483
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMRIZZO View Post

To anyone seeking peak PQ there is a significant difference.

Not based on any qualified opinions i have heard or from what i have seen.

Aaron
post #2525 of 4483
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaRd2BeAr View Post

Not based on any qualified opinions i have heard or from what i have seen.

Aaron

Audition these sets side by side and you'll immediately see the difference, and if not save yourself a few bucks and go with the 850.
post #2526 of 4483
What's the viewing angle compared to the ES samsungs
post #2527 of 4483
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danediz View Post

What's the viewing angle compared to the ES samsungs

Not as good, but you should be used to it based off of your 850 you had.
post #2528 of 4483
My es7100 has really bad off angle viewing. The 850 was def better
post #2529 of 4483
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMRIZZO View Post

Audition these sets side by side and you'll immediately see the difference, and if not save yourself a few bucks and go with the 850.

I have and it wasn't about price difference. The HX929 had more noticeable halting as well as the are squares of lights that are brighter whereas on the HX850 they are more subtle and less noticeable halos.

The HX850 is also better looking imo than the HX929.

With my led backlighting it has deeper blacks than any lcd as well ; )
post #2530 of 4483
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danediz View Post

My es7100 has really bad off angle viewing. The 850 was def better

Then you should be fine with a 950 then. I just know that off angle viewing on the 950 often causes the "blooming" effect many have talked about. I did not have that issue with the 65 or 60 ES8000s I had.... just a ton of other horrendous issues.eek.gif
post #2531 of 4483
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaRd2BeAr View Post

I have and it wasn't about price difference. The HX929 had more noticeable halting as well as the are squares of lights that are brighter whereas on the HX850 they are more subtle and less noticeable halos.

The HX850 is also better looking imo than the HX929.

With my led backlighting it has deeper blacks than any lcd as well ; )

Then it sounds like you have a really good panel.... but overall, most people who know what to look for will notice a difference between a 950 and 850 due to the differences between full array and edge lit. However, the only thing that matters is if "you" or any owner is happy with the set that you choose.
post #2532 of 4483
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmay91472 View Post

Then it sounds like you have a really good panel.... but overall, most people who know what to look for will notice a difference between a 950 and 850 due to the differences between full array and edge lit. However, the only thing that matters is if "you" or any owner is happy with the set that you choose.

Lol i know what to look for and can see the benifit of full array but Sony nailed it with the HX850.

It doesn't take much review reading either to see what i am saying. Many prefer the subtle halos on the HX850 over the more pronounced halos of the HX929/950
post #2533 of 4483
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaRd2BeAr View Post

Lol i know what to look for and can see the benifit of full array but Sony nailed it with the HX850.

It doesn't take much review reading either to see what i am saying. Many prefer the subtle halos on the HX850 over the more pronounced halos of the HX929/950

I can understand that, but there are others like me that are distracted from the uniformity and corner flashlighting that many of the 850s exhibit depending on ones settings, and watching 3D with the backlight maxed is a mixed bag (not saying it is bad by any means... just not as good) on the 850 whereas it is a thing of beauty on the 950. Also, others need something larger than just a 55, which is where the 65 comes into play.

As for review reading, I think I've read many times over that the HX950 is the best LED of 2012 and the only gripe was it was not worth the price differential in their eyes compared to the HX850... but still superior nonetheless.
post #2534 of 4483
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmay91472 View Post

I can understand that, but there are others like me that are distracted from the uniformity and corner flashlighting that many of the 850s exhibit depending on ones settings, and watching 3D with the backlight maxed is a mixed bag (not saying it is bad by any means... just not as good) on the 850 whereas it is a thing of beauty on the 950. Also, others need something larger than just a 55, which is where the 65 comes into play.

As for review reading, I think I've read many times over that the HX950 is the best LED of 2012 and the only gripe was it was not worth the price differential in their eyes compared to the HX850... but still superior nonetheless.

It is a shame they are not available in bigger sizes.

I can think of one review where they prefered the 850 over the 929 because of the backlighting.

My main point for posting is that full led doesn't instantly mean good uniformity. Full led sets can and do have edge bleed and clouding, they are no less likely to suffer it than edge lit sets. It's the panel used not the backlighting.
post #2535 of 4483
From the sets I've seen the 950 was better than the 850
post #2536 of 4483
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaRd2BeAr View Post

It is a shame they are not available in bigger sizes.

I can think of one review where they prefered the 850 over the 929 because of the backlighting.

My main point for posting is that full led doesn't instantly mean good uniformity. Full led sets can and do have edge bleed and clouding, they are no less likely to suffer it than edge lit sets. It's the panel used not the backlighting.

the larger the screen requires the LED to project their light that much further into the panels resulting in flashlighting and edge light blooming, and uniformity problems.
post #2537 of 4483
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMRIZZO View Post

the larger the screen requires the LED to project their light that much further into the panels resulting in flashlighting and edge light blooming, and uniformity problems.

I don't get what your point is?

Uniformity is difficult for all lcds, it's not an edge lit led issue.
post #2538 of 4483
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaRd2BeAr View Post

I don't get what your point is?

Uniformity is difficult for all lcds, it's not an edge lit led issue.

Makes sense to me... Full Array > Edge Lit due to less uniformity issues.
post #2539 of 4483
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmay91472 View Post

Makes sense to me... Full Array > Edge Lit due to less uniformity issues.

Thanks for that; as I had a paragraph (which was lost) that you succinctly summed up in your post. I believe he is just attempting to live up to his moniker and may need to be relegated to the 850 forums. The best LCD/LED displays in recent memory are local dimming. All the podcasts/articles that have talked about 4k displays have touted the benefits and the wanting of the local dimming variety; there is a simple rational for this, that is easy to deduce.
post #2540 of 4483
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmay91472 View Post

Makes sense to me... Full Array > Edge Lit due to less uniformity issues.

That's because it is what you want to believe. Having money to burn doesn't make you intelligent.

You can't talk sense to senseless individuals so i will not bother anymore.

Remember that Google is your friend.

Infact scratch that, just read back through this thread to read about how good the uniformity is with full led. ; )

Aaron
post #2541 of 4483
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRITICALSHOT View Post

Thanks for that; as I had a paragraph (which was lost) that you succinctly summed up in your post. I believe he is just attempting to live up to his moniker and may need to be relegated to the 850 forums. The best LCD/LED displays in recent memory are local dimming. All the podcasts/articles that have talked about 4k displays have touted the benefits and the wanting of the local dimming variety; there is a simple rational for this, that is easy to deduce.

There is a brand of tv in my country that make excellent "edge lit" sets that have no uniformity issues but cost alot more money. It has nothing to do with edge lighting affecting uniformity it is he panel used. It just so happens that generally high end models that are full array use higher end panels.

I did not know this myself until a little while ago it was explained to me.

Aaron
post #2542 of 4483
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaRd2BeAr View Post

That's because it is what you want to believe. Having money to burn doesn't make you intelligent.

You can't talk sense to senseless individuals so i will not bother anymore.

Remember that Google is your friend.

Infact scratch that, just read back through this thread to read about how good the uniformity is with full led. ; )

Aaron

Sounds good to me. Please don't post in this thread again since you obviously don't have anything significant to contribute.
post #2543 of 4483
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmay91472 View Post

Sounds good to me. Please don't post in this thread again since you obviously don't have anything significant to contribute.

That's really not up to you but thanks anyway.

Not that i have seen you contribute anything to this thread bar incorrect information and bias posts.
post #2544 of 4483
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaRd2BeAr View Post

That's because it is what you want to believe. Having money to burn doesn't make you intelligent.

You can't talk sense to senseless individuals so i will not bother anymore.

Remember that Google is your friend.

Infact scratch that, just read back through this thread to read about how good the uniformity is with full led. ; )

Aaron

You may have missed the most important word in cmays' post. LESS. Google called me and told me that the best displays of 2012 were the Elite, VT50 and the 950; two of these have something in common. I don't care what the tech is, as PQ is the most important factor to me. It seems as if you want to justify your purchase in order to satiate your ego; as you could not afford the 950. I wanted to buy the Elite but could not afford it, so I bought the best TV for the price point. Kinda...I had the VT50 and and wasn't happy so I had to spend more than I wanted. The 850 is better than my last display (XBR4) and better than all my friends TV's, consider yourself lucky and move on.
post #2545 of 4483
Hi all.

Just got back from BB where I purchased the floor model of, and I'm quoting the salesman "discontinued 950". Because he couldn't get any from the surrounding area, he said I could have it discounted for 4599 with 2 free pairs of glasses. I couldn't pass it up.
The difference I saw in store between the 850 and 950 is that they were pretty much identical picture wise, until the picture produced black. It is then a different story. That and being 55in is the reason for my 950 purchase. I had a 65GT50 that I returned, a 60PN8000 that went back and now trading in the Sony 60EX645 because it just didn't cut the mustard, so to speak. I haven't picked it up yet, delivery schedule issues, when I do, I will tell you all about it. I'm keeping my fingers crossed also, didn't run the battery of tests on site. Hope I can contribute to the thread, and am welcome here.

Regards,
post #2546 of 4483
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRITICALSHOT View Post

You may have missed the most important word in cmays' post. LESS. Google called me and told me that the best displays of 2012 were the Elite, VT50 and the 950; two of these have something in common. I don't care what the tech is, as PQ is the most important factor to me. It seems as if you want to justify your purchase in order to satiate your ego; as you could not afford the 950. I wanted to buy the Elite but could not afford it, so I bought the best TV for the price point. Kinda...I had the VT50 and and wasn't happy so I had to spend more than I wanted. The 850 is better than my last display (XBR4) and better than all my friends TV's, consider yourself lucky and move on.

My ego? I'm not the one looking down my nose spreading false information.

I get what you're saying though and where you're coming from.

Aaron
post #2547 of 4483
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaRd2BeAr View Post

My ego? I'm not the one looking down my nose spreading false information.

I get what you're saying though and where you're coming from.

Aaron

What false information? Also, when did I ever look down on you. I never said anything about price of tvs or funds or lack there of to you. You are just all bent out of shape posting rants in in a 950HX thread about how much better your 850HX is. And by the way, I have. 65VT30 and a 65HX950, and have had a 65VT50, ES8000 in both 60 and 65, so I'm not some HX elitist. I just enjoy tvs all around regardless of make or model.
post #2548 of 4483
Quote:
Originally Posted by p4uLie View Post

Hi all.

Just got back from BB where I purchased the floor model of, and I'm quoting the salesman "discontinued 950". Because he couldn't get any from the surrounding area, he said I could have it discounted for 4599 with 2 free pairs of glasses. I couldn't pass it up.
The difference I saw in store between the 850 and 950 is that they were pretty much identical picture wise, until the picture produced black. It is then a different story. That and being 55in is the reason for my 950 purchase. I had a 65GT50 that I returned, a 60PN8000 that went back and now trading in the Sony 60EX645 because it just didn't cut the mustard, so to speak. I haven't picked it up yet, delivery schedule issues, when I do, I will tell you all about it. I'm keeping my fingers crossed also, didn't run the battery of tests on site. Hope I can contribute to the thread, and am welcome here.

Regards,

Maybe he meant 929, as the cycle for the HX950 is fall to fall, not spring to spring like the other Sony models.
post #2549 of 4483
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmay91472 View Post

LOL. That's a pretty significant difference which eliminates flashlighting and uniformity issues associated with edge lit panels. 950 is significantly better than the 850... But almost identical to the previous 929 series.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmay91472 View Post

What false information? Also, when did I ever look down on you. I never said anything about price of tvs or funds or lack there of to you. You are just all bent out of shape posting rants in in a 950HX thread about how much better your 850HX is. And by the way, I have. 65VT30 and a 65HX950, and have had a 65VT50, ES8000 in both 60 and 65, so I'm not some HX elitist. I just enjoy tvs all around regardless of make or model.

This, it's not about the HX850, but just misconceptions about lcd/led in general that bugged me.

Aaron
post #2550 of 4483
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmay91472 View Post

Maybe he meant 929, as the cycle for the HX950 is fall to fall, not spring to spring like the other Sony models.

Hi cmay,

no, not the 929, it was the magnolia manager I talked with, and specifically asked about his comment on the discontinued 950. I couldn't believe the statement either. He told me that the life cycle on some high end tv's is sometimes only 3-5 months.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: LCD Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Sony XBR-HX950 Owners' Thread (XBR-55HX9​50 and XBR-65HX95​0)