or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Sony XBR-HX950 Owners' Thread (XBR-55HX9​50 and XBR-65HX95​0)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sony XBR-HX950 Owners' Thread (XBR-55HX9​50 and XBR-65HX95​0) - Page 86

post #2551 of 4487
Quote:
Originally Posted by p4uLie View Post

Hi cmay,

no, not the 929, it was the magnolia manager I talked with, and specifically asked about his comment on the discontinued 950. I couldn't believe the statement either. He told me that the life cycle on some high end tv's is sometimes only 3-5 months.

Well, wouldn't be the first time a BB manager is misinformed, but I haven't seen anything to dispute his claim either. Guess we will have to wait and see.
post #2552 of 4487
Anyone claiming edge-lit is better than full array is just flat out lying. If your set is edge-lit and doesn't have flashlighting or clouding, pics or it didn't happen! if it's just the panels then why even bother making full array? Just put the 'better panel' in the edge-lit set.

Black is absence of light!
post #2553 of 4487
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapioca Cold View Post

Anyone claiming edge-lit is better than full array is just flat out lying. If your set is edge-lit and doesn't have flashlighting or clouding, pics or it didn't happen! if it's just the panels then why even bother making full array? Just put the 'better panel' in the edge-lit set.

Black is absence of light!

Amen smile.gif
post #2554 of 4487
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1971 View Post

HaRd2BeAr just give it up buddy. It makes no sense to argue with people.....it will only get you in trouble and beat up on. That being said the HX950 is a great tv but I think the 929 is a little better. wink.gif

Haha that made me laugh, i agree mate. biggrin.gif
post #2555 of 4487
I have had a 65hx950 since November and I am having a small issue. Every once in a while the TV will reset itself. It goes black, shows the logo and then goes back to whatever it was showing beforehand. It doesn't appear to completely power down and this only lasts a few seconds. I can't replicate it and it rarely happens.
All of my components are routed through my Sony receiver. I am just wondering if it is a HDMI handshake issue issue or something else.
Has anyone else had something like this?
post #2556 of 4487
Anybody know if Sony will release any sets bigger than 65" this year? 75" would be nice, especially if it had the features and PQ of the 950. cool.gif
post #2557 of 4487
I just purchased the 55" 950 last night. Gets delivered tomorrow. I've gone through as many posts as I could so please be kind if my questions were already discussed. Please excuse the long-winded post.

1. Sony is offering two free pairs of 3-D Glasses with purchase of the 950 and the store I bought it from was going to honor it but they didn't have any in stock and weren't sure on the model # of the new Sony 3-D Glasses to order them for me. They gave me a $90 gift card instead. I don't mind spending the $90 on the glasses but would PS3 3-D Glasses work just as well for the HX950?

2. I have a Samsung Soundbar w/ Active Sub that is only optical (two ports). I currently have one optical cable going from my soundbar to my PS3 but I have Directv's new Genie DVR that only has digital coax not optical so I'm using the Sony Google Internet Player (GS7) via HDMI Passthrough with my DVR to use Bitstream DD passthrough (optical) with my Directv Genie. It works fine but I'm not going to need the GS7 with the 950 because it has the same content on both and I'm noticing the my current tv's PQ being a little grainy with the HDMI Passthrough. Does the 950 have DD or DTS? My soundbar has DD and DTS and I'm not an expert in sound but would I be able to plug the other optical cable into the TV and still get DD with my DIrectv Genie as long as the 950 has DD?

3. I guess I'm different because I don't mind the SOE. I will probably keep it on Smooth (max) except for games. My current tv's Auto Motion Plus (Samsung) does not work properly unless it's on Clear. It judders/stutters the picture. How is the 950 on Motion Resolution when set on Smooth? Any Juddering/stutter?

4. I'm going to mount my 950. What is the type of screw/bolt needed for the 950?

Thanks in advance and again I'm sorry if this was already mentioned.
post #2558 of 4487
Quote:
Originally Posted by fdisker2000 View Post

I have had a 65hx950 since November and I am having a small issue. Every once in a while the TV will reset itself. It goes black, shows the logo and then goes back to whatever it was showing beforehand. It doesn't appear to completely power down and this only lasts a few seconds. I can't replicate it and it rarely happens.
All of my components are routed through my Sony receiver. I am just wondering if it is a HDMI handshake issue issue or something else.
Has anyone else had something like this?

I also have a similar problem with the XBR65hx950. I first experienced this problem with last years model the XBR65kx929. Sony replaced the mother board twice at home. They then replaced the TV with a refirbished TV. None of this corrected the problem. This was last September. They then offered me the current model XBR65hx950. This problem continues with the current model. I have not contacted Sony or reported the problem as this is the third XBR65hx with this problem. I kind of felt that something must be wrong with my wiring. For me this problem occurs about once a week. It occurs within several minutes of turning on the TV. To make it more tolerable I turned off the Sony logo. If you contact Sony or anyone on this forum has a suggestion please let me know. Given that the XBR65hx950 is Sony top of the line and have cost us over $5000 it is quiet upsetting. I really don't know what else can be done. I surely don't want a refirbished unit as my past experience has not been successful. It was interesting reading your post as I felt that I was the only one out there with this problem.
post #2559 of 4487
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonhawk View Post

Anybody know if Sony will release any sets bigger than 65" this year? 75" would be nice, especially if it had the features and PQ of the 950. cool.gif

NO unless you want a 4K set
post #2560 of 4487
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Sullins View Post

I just purchased the 55" 950 last night. Gets delivered tomorrow. I've gone through as many posts as I could so please be kind if my questions were already discussed. Please excuse the long-winded post.

1. Sony is offering two free pairs of 3-D Glasses with purchase of the 950 and the store I bought it from was going to honor it but they didn't have any in stock and weren't sure on the model # of the new Sony 3-D Glasses to order them for me. They gave me a $90 gift card instead. I don't mind spending the $90 on the glasses but would PS3 3-D Glasses work just as well for the HX950?

2. I have a Samsung Soundbar w/ Active Sub that is only optical (two ports). I currently have one optical cable going from my soundbar to my PS3 but I have Directv's new Genie DVR that only has digital coax not optical so I'm using the Sony Google Internet Player (GS7) via HDMI Passthrough with my DVR to use Bitstream DD passthrough (optical) with my Directv Genie. It works fine but I'm not going to need the GS7 with the 950 because it has the same content on both and I'm noticing the my current tv's PQ being a little grainy with the HDMI Passthrough. Does the 950 have DD or DTS? My soundbar has DD and DTS and I'm not an expert in sound but would I be able to plug the other optical cable into the TV and still get DD with my DIrectv Genie as long as the 950 has DD?

3. I guess I'm different because I don't mind the SOE. I will probably keep it on Smooth (max) except for games. My current tv's Auto Motion Plus (Samsung) does not work properly unless it's on Clear. It judders/stutters the picture. How is the 950 on Motion Resolution when set on Smooth? Any Juddering/stutter?

4. I'm going to mount my 950. What is the type of screw/bolt needed for the 950?

Thanks in advance and again I'm sorry if this was already mentioned.

Congrats Justin....

PS3 glasses will actually work better than the 250 and 750 regular sony 3d glasses unless you get the free polarizing filters for the glasses from Sony. The PS3 have the polarizing filter already and drastically reduces flicker and image degradation when tilting head. The PS3 glasses are only $19.99 at BB. They are a little clunkier than the 750 Titanium, but on the other hand, the clunkiness helps shut out ambient light.
post #2561 of 4487
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmay91472 View Post

Congrats Justin....

PS3 glasses will actually work better than the 250 and 750 regular sony 3d glasses unless you get the free polarizing filters for the glasses from Sony. The PS3 have the polarizing filter already and drastically reduces flicker and image degradation when tilting head. The PS3 glasses are only $19.99 at BB. They are a little clunkier than the 750 Titanium, but on the other hand, the clunkiness helps shut out ambient light.

Thanks. I didn't really want to spend $3200 on a tv but couldn't find the 55" 850 anywhere so I broke down. Wife is a little pissed though. Do you by chance know if the banding issue is just limited to the 65" or is it on both the 55" and 65"? I currently have banding on my Samsung D630 that exhibits at least 8 vertical bars and 1 horizontal so the 3 on the 950 should be a welcome change. Thanks for the info.
post #2562 of 4487
Quote:
Originally Posted by fdisker2000 View Post

I have had a 65hx950 since November and I am having a small issue. Every once in a while the TV will reset itself. It goes black, shows the logo and then goes back to whatever it was showing beforehand. It doesn't appear to completely power down and this only lasts a few seconds. I can't replicate it and it rarely happens.
All of my components are routed through my Sony receiver. I am just wondering if it is a HDMI handshake issue issue or something else.
Has anyone else had something like this?

This issue is not specific to the HX950. It happens on my HX850 and I have heard people mention that it happens on HX750 also. Seems to be a software problem rather than a hardware problem. Hopefully one of their future firmware updates will fix it.
post #2563 of 4487
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Sullins View Post

I just purchased the 55" 950 last night. Gets delivered tomorrow. I've gone through as many posts as I could so please be kind if my questions were already discussed. Please excuse the long-winded post.

1. Sony is offering two free pairs of 3-D Glasses with purchase of the 950 and the store I bought it from was going to honor it but they didn't have any in stock and weren't sure on the model # of the new Sony 3-D Glasses to order them for me. They gave me a $90 gift card instead. I don't mind spending the $90 on the glasses but would PS3 3-D Glasses work just as well for the HX950?

2. I have a Samsung Soundbar w/ Active Sub that is only optical (two ports). I currently have one optical cable going from my soundbar to my PS3 but I have Directv's new Genie DVR that only has digital coax not optical so I'm using the Sony Google Internet Player (GS7) via HDMI Passthrough with my DVR to use Bitstream DD passthrough (optical) with my Directv Genie. It works fine but I'm not going to need the GS7 with the 950 because it has the same content on both and I'm noticing the my current tv's PQ being a little grainy with the HDMI Passthrough. Does the 950 have DD or DTS? My soundbar has DD and DTS and I'm not an expert in sound but would I be able to plug the other optical cable into the TV and still get DD with my DIrectv Genie as long as the 950 has DD?

3. I guess I'm different because I don't mind the SOE. I will probably keep it on Smooth (max) except for games. My current tv's Auto Motion Plus (Samsung) does not work properly unless it's on Clear. It judders/stutters the picture. How is the 950 on Motion Resolution when set on Smooth? Any Juddering/stutter?

4. I'm going to mount my 950. What is the type of screw/bolt needed for the 950?

Thanks in advance and again I'm sorry if this was already mentioned.

1. PS3 Glasses for sure.

2. The TV does not have DD or DTS. The soundbar decodes the signal that is fed from the PS3/Directv/Hulu/Netflix. If the material you are watching is encoded in DD or DTS it will be sent to the SB and decoded there.

3. I am not against the SOE; but Smooth causes serious artifacts and is more harmful than anything else. Judder is your friend; movies are shot in 24fps and movies suffer from judder even in the best cinemas.

4. No clue.
post #2564 of 4487
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRITICALSHOT View Post

1. PS3 Glasses for sure.

2. The TV does not have DD or DTS. The soundbar decodes the signal that is fed from the PS3/Directv/Hulu/Netflix. If the material you are watching is encoded in DD or DTS it will be sent to the SB and decoded there.

3. I am not against the SOE; but Smooth causes serious artifacts and is more harmful than anything else. Judder is your friend; movies are shot in 24fps and movies suffer from judder even in the best cinemas.

4. No clue.

I'm going after the PS3 Glasses tomorrow.

I read on Sony's Site that the 950 does have DD. I have the PS3 going into the SB so no issues there but I've always had my DVRs (Tivo/DirecTV) with the same setup until the Genie came along. I was told by numerous people that if the TV does not offer DD that the SB would not be able to output DD being hooked up through the TV. Does anyone know how DD movies sound "just" on the TV Speakers? If it sounds good I'll probably just leave it be as I mostly watch movies on PS3.

I'm not new to TVs/Tech but still not sure of all the lingo. What are artifacts? I had Samsung's B8500 a few years ago that I had cranked up to Smooth (AMP) and no issues with juddering or any anomalies with the picture. I usually set my PS3 to play DVDs/Blu-Rays in 24fps.

I called Sony to get the exact bolt type (M-6/8 2/12 mm).


Thanks for the info.
post #2565 of 4487
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Sullins View Post

I'm going after the PS3 Glasses tomorrow.

I read on Sony's Site that the 950 does have DD. I have the PS3 going into the SB so no issues there but I've always had my DVRs (Tivo/DirecTV) with the same setup until the Genie came along. I was told by numerous people that if the TV does not offer DD that the SB would not be able to output DD being hooked up through the TV. Does anyone know how DD movies sound "just" on the TV Speakers? If it sounds good I'll probably just leave it be as I mostly watch movies on PS3.

I'm not new to TVs/Tech but still not sure of all the lingo. What are artifacts? I had Samsung's B8500 a few years ago that I had cranked up to Smooth (AMP) and no issues with juddering or any anomalies with the picture. I usually set my PS3 to play DVDs/Blu-Rays in 24fps.

I called Sony to get the exact bolt type (M-6/8 2/12 mm).


Thanks for the info.

Look up motion artifacts on google and also put the TV on smooth and auto 1; in a fast moving scene you will see artifacts. I checked the Sony store site and it did make mention of DD. "Real" DD 5.1 makes use of 5 speakers and a sub, the speakers on the sony are crap. Sound bars are a slight upgrade and since I no nothing about them, I can only assume it can decode DTS and DD. I know you said you have issues with connectivity; but if possible you want to connect to the SB when possible. The source material (BR/DVD/TV Show) is encoded in DD or DTS and ones receiver or stand alone device decodes the info and then it is directed to the speakers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1628aYNH8l4

The above is a link that has a converter that converts coax to toslink. Monoprice might have one for cheap.....
Edited by CRITICALSHOT - 2/7/13 at 4:46pm
post #2566 of 4487
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtrains View Post

This issue is not specific to the HX950. It happens on my HX850 and I have heard people mention that it happens on HX750 also. Seems to be a software problem rather than a hardware problem. Hopefully one of their future firmware updates will fix it.
Thanks for the reply. I'm glad its not a hardware problem. Except for a little banding(PS3 game Journey looks horrible!) I am very happy with my 65HX950.
post #2567 of 4487
Quote:
Originally Posted by fdisker2000 View Post

Thanks for the reply. I'm glad its not a hardware problem. Except for a little banding(PS3 game Journey looks horrible!) I am very happy with my 65HX950.

If you post your problems @ Facebook's 'SonyListens' they make note and will respond.
post #2568 of 4487
Just received my 55" 950 10 minutes ago. This is my 1st Sony TV. I've always had Samsung's. Does Sony have different panel types for the same tv like Samsung does? I believe the panel type on my 950 is S01. Does anyone else have this type?
post #2569 of 4487
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Sullins View Post

Just received my 55" 950 10 minutes ago. This is my 1st Sony TV. I've always had Samsung's. Does Sony have different panel types for the same tv like Samsung does? I believe the panel type on my 950 is S01. Does anyone else have this type?

Samsung will use different manufacturer panels for tvs of different sizes within the same line... Such as "sharp" panel in 60es8000 compared to "Samsung" panel in 65es8000. Not sure if Sony does or does not use different panel types between the 55 and 65 hx950.
post #2570 of 4487
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmay91472 View Post

Samsung will use different manufacturer panels for tvs of different sizes within the same line... Such as "sharp" panel in 60es8000 compared to "Samsung" panel in 65es8000. Not sure if Sony does or does not use different panel types between the 55 and 65 hx950.

I'm not sure either. Do you know if the S01 Panel is a good one or not?
post #2571 of 4487
Hello
This is my first post on your forums smile.gif
I'm very interested in the Sony KDL55XBR-HX950 is the TV available in the UK?
I’m not sure if Sony use the same product number in the UK because when searching using Google nearly all the search results come back to sites in the USA.
If so do you have any idea where the TV’s are available in the UK?
I have been reading through the posts and the HX950 looks to be getting some good reviews, although for some reason the 65” screen isn’t fairing so well in the reviews I have come across.
Your reviews tend to be positive for the high definition picture quality, with the picture quality for standard definition broadcasts being ok.
I'm not over bothered about the 3D aspect of the TV although a watchable 3D picture would be a bonus.
Please could you also recommend any other TV’s that are worth consideration, I realise that 4k and ultra-high definition is the way to go in a few years’ time if and when the price becomes more affordable.
Ian
post #2572 of 4487
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanSmith1966 View Post

Hello
This is my first post on your forums smile.gif
I'm very interested in the Sony KDL55XBR-HX950 is the TV available in the UK?
I’m not sure if Sony use the same product number in the UK because when searching using Google nearly all the search results come back to sites in the USA.
If so do you have any idea where the TV’s are available in the UK?
I have been reading through the posts and the HX950 looks to be getting some good reviews, although for some reason the 65” screen isn’t fairing so well in the reviews I have come across.
Your reviews tend to be positive for the high definition picture quality, with the picture quality for standard definition broadcasts being ok.
I'm not over bothered about the 3D aspect of the TV although a watchable 3D picture would be a bonus.
Please could you also recommend any other TV’s that are worth consideration, I realise that 4k and ultra-high definition is the way to go in a few years’ time if and when the price becomes more affordable.
Ian

I believe the HX950 is called HX953 in the UK.
post #2573 of 4487
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanSmith1966 View Post

Hello
This is my first post on your forums smile.gif
I'm very interested in the Sony KDL55XBR-HX950 is the TV available in the UK?
I’m not sure if Sony use the same product number in the UK because when searching using Google nearly all the search results come back to sites in the USA.
If so do you have any idea where the TV’s are available in the UK?
I have been reading through the posts and the HX950 looks to be getting some good reviews, although for some reason the 65” screen isn’t fairing so well in the reviews I have come across.
Your reviews tend to be positive for the high definition picture quality, with the picture quality for standard definition broadcasts being ok.
I'm not over bothered about the 3D aspect of the TV although a watchable 3D picture would be a bonus.
Please could you also recommend any other TV’s that are worth consideration, I realise that 4k and ultra-high definition is the way to go in a few years’ time if and when the price becomes more affordable.
Ian

The Sony HX953 was never released in the UK
post #2574 of 4487
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardtobear 
The Sony HX953 was never released in the UK
Sony Europe± The HX950 is for sale in the Netherlands and France, HX95 in Germany. In Italy they are still selling the HX920. And ehh... no HX95 or 92 in the UK eek.gifeek.gif
post #2575 of 4487
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8mile13 View Post


Sony Europe± The HX950 is for sale in the Netherlands and France, HX95 in Germany. In Italy they are still selling the HX920. And ehh... no HX95 or 92 in the UK eek.gifeek.gif

The HX950 has also not been released here in Switzerland for retailers. I was told by a Sony PM that it will only be available in limited numbers and can only be ordered from Sony directly.
The HX850 is also very hard to come by as the 55" version. They are in stock at some places, but cannot be ordered from Sony anymore.
I found a dealer who had a large stock of HX920's and got one for a real good price.
It was either that, or wait for the next models to be available. The 950 is almost impossible to get here and will probably never hit the market in large numbers.
post #2576 of 4487
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaMac78 View Post

The HX950 has also not been released here in Switzerland for retailers. I was told by a Sony PM that it will only be available in limited numbers and can only be ordered from Sony directly.
The HX850 is also very hard to come by as the 55" version. They are in stock at some places, but cannot be ordered from Sony anymore.
I found a dealer who had a large stock of HX920's and got one for a real good price.
It was either that, or wait for the next models to be available. The 950 is almost impossible to get here and will probably never hit the market in large numbers.

The HX850 (55") is impossible to get in the US as well. Which is strange because Sony still has a large supply of NX720, EX645, and HX750 available (at least in the KC area).
post #2577 of 4487
Ufff that is some nasty clouding....I had no issues with my 65 other than just one dead sub pixel and very barely noticeable banding in the middle...I returned it and have been happy with that decision....will look in to a 4K once the pricing goes down a bit now. Btw tip for anyone purchasing from a Sony Store. Don't do it....rather go to Best Buy and purchase the TV and exchange it there....they're much more accommodating than SONY stores. I learnt my lesson.
post #2578 of 4487
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtrains View Post

This issue is not specific to the HX950. It happens on my HX850 and I have heard people mention that it happens on HX750 also. Seems to be a software problem rather than a hardware problem. Hopefully one of their future firmware updates will fix it.

You are saying that this is a software issue ? I thought it was a defect on the panel itself.... hope SONY is listening

I have some very mild so called dirty screen effect when the tv pans on a light background
post #2579 of 4487
Quote:
Originally Posted by fdisker2000 View Post

I have had a 65hx950 since November and I am having a small issue. Every once in a while the TV will reset itself. It goes black, shows the logo and then goes back to whatever it was showing beforehand. It doesn't appear to completely power down and this only lasts a few seconds. I can't replicate it and it rarely happens.
All of my components are routed through my Sony receiver. I am just wondering if it is a HDMI handshake issue issue or something else.
Has anyone else had something like this?
I, too, have had this problem. About once a week, my 55hx950 would reboot itself within the first 5 minutes after I turned it on. It was very noticeable and annoying because with my HTPC, after losing the HDMI connection, it would default to a lower resolution and shrink down all of the windows to it, and a few seconds later after the TV finished rebooting, then I could go about my business and resize my windows back. There was no way to consistently reproduce the problem, but I haven't had this problem in approximately 1 month. I can think of 3 changes that might have helped, or maybe it was just a coincidence:

1. I changed the internet connectivity of my HX950 from having a direct wired ethernet connection to a wireless connection.
2. I upgraded the firmware of my Denon AVR-3313CI receiver
3. I upgraded to AMD's Catalyst 13.1 video drivers on my HTPC

1 month without the problem may be too soon to say whether one of these items fixed it, or whether the bug is just lurking and about to strike again. I know that I have not updated my TV's firmware in this time.
post #2580 of 4487
Hi all.

I had bought a 950 display model from BB, that I was told was a new tv they got in, and on display. I just got back from picking it up when I discovered a sticker on the back that states "Sony Corp, and Shelf Display". Anyone know what that means. I was told it was a brand new TV being used as a display model. Would there be anything different about it, from a new one because of it's being a Shelf Display. Any ideas. I know this tv was off the floor, but told it was new. When I got there to pick it up, there was no box. When I got it home I noticed I also have the wrong remote. Thoughts.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: LCD Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Sony XBR-HX950 Owners' Thread (XBR-55HX9​50 and XBR-65HX95​0)