or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Sony XBR-HX950 Owners' Thread (XBR-55HX9​50 and XBR-65HX95​0)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sony XBR-HX950 Owners' Thread (XBR-55HX9​50 and XBR-65HX95​0) - Page 88

post #2611 of 4484
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmay91472 View Post

Yes. The W900 is edge lit and the HX850 replacement. It will be available in only 55 inch if the info on the link is correct. I find it odd in regards to how each model for 2013 is limited to only 1 or 2 screen sizes per model with the exception of the R550.

Rumor's indicate the next XBR will be a 55" OLED late 2013 /.2014.and no more full-array sets.
post #2612 of 4484
Sounds great but I am sure the price isnt
post #2613 of 4484
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danediz View Post

Sounds great but I am sure the price isnt

If it is a true replacement for the HX950, that would leave the 60 and 70 inch R550 as the only Sony option other than the 4K sets for something larger than 55 once the 65HX950 is depleted.

Not sure this is a wise business decision, but I did see somewhere that they are recommending sitting only 4 or 5 ft from the 55 and 65 4K models, which makes sense since otherwise you would not see any difference in resolution from 8 to 10 ft on screen sizes that small most likely unless you have a set of eagle eyes on you.
post #2614 of 4484
I've had my 55" 950 up and running since Friday Night. 1st impressions were kinda bleh. Then I watched a blu-ray movie and realized where the "meat" of the tv went. After tweaking the settings over the wknd I have finally got the best picture on both Blu-Ray and Directv. Everything's going great until I noticed a stuck, greyed-out, pixel about 4 inches above the Sony Logo. It's obviously not detectable 3 or more ft. away. I'm not taking it back just for one little stuck pixel that I'll never notice during normal viewing but should I use my Disney WOW Pixel-Flipper or just not worry about it?

-I have the Cinemotion on Standard with Auto 1 selected. I like the motion resolution on Standard and overall clean up of the pic with it set on standard but I'm getting some bad juddering every 10 seconds or so on HGTV HD. Does Auto 2 do anything for that. Only juddering I've seen with Cinemotion on Standard and Auto 1 is HGTV.
Edited by Justin Sullins - 2/11/13 at 2:29pm
post #2615 of 4484
I posted this in the settings forum but I assume from the lack of response that I put it in the wrong place.

I have all my sources running through a denon 2312 avr with a single hdmi cable running to my 55hx950. Because of this I can't really use the per input settings memory. Can I fully customize the three picture modes (standard, custom, and vivid) and basically use those as different fully custom presets I can switch behind? Are there other options?

Related question: if I set the sub settings of picture mode standard to a set of values, and set the sub settings of custom to those same values, will the same source produce identical output in those two picture modes?
post #2616 of 4484
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stsalomon90 View Post

I posted this in the settings forum but I assume from the lack of response that I put it in the wrong place.

I have all my sources running through a denon 2312 avr with a single hdmi cable running to my 55hx950. Because of this I can't really use the per input settings memory. Can I fully customize the three picture modes (standard, custom, and vivid) and basically use those as different fully custom presets I can switch behind? Are there other options?

Related question: if I set the sub settings of picture mode standard to a set of values, and set the sub settings of custom to those same values, will the same source produce identical output in those two picture modes?

Took a quick look at the manual, if you allow video convert, then you have basic picture controls per input. See page 100 of the manual (I know, I don't like having to look at them either, lol). Also, Since there are so many scene modes on the 950, you can set them for each device if you like. Custom & Cinema are more than fair game for getting at least two really good modes (day/night). Some of the other modes will be triggered by content directly from the TV, such as Internet Video... It has unique adjustment ability...

Enjoy..
post #2617 of 4484
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Sullins View Post

I've had my 55" 950 up and running since Friday Night. 1st impressions were kinda bleh. Then I watched a blu-ray movie and realized where the "meat" of the tv went. After tweaking the settings over the wknd I have finally got the best picture on both Blu-Ray and Directv. Everything's going great until I noticed a stuck, greyed-out, pixel about 4 inches above the Sony Logo. It's obviously not detectable 3 or more ft. away. I'm not taking it back just for one little stuck pixel that I'll never notice during normal viewing but should I use my Disney WOW Pixel-Flipper or just not worry about it?

Using the pixel flipper won't do any harm so definitely give it a try. At least it's only a stuck and not a dead pixel. Some folks on the es8000 forum had some luck running it all day long with unsticking stuck pixels. A dead pixel (out on all colors) however won't ever come back to life.
post #2618 of 4484
OK you guys ready. I've looked at so many sets I'm tired of looking. Sony, Samsung, Panasonic never seen the Elite but it was a option. I spoke with my local BB Mgr. and tomorrow I'm ordering a Sony 950 55". The wife and I seen one at my local ABC Warehouse and the PQ was impressive. The first set we seen and were going with it. Just sounding off because I'm a Lil' excited. Plus it sounds like Sony isn't going to be making these sets any longer so I better jump on it.
post #2619 of 4484
Quote:
Originally Posted by Browninggold View Post

OK you guys ready. I've looked at so many sets I'm tired of looking. Sony, Samsung, Panasonic never seen the Elite but it was a option. I spoke with my local BB Mgr. and tomorrow I'm ordering a Sony 950 55". The wife and I seen one at my local ABC Warehouse and the PQ was impressive. The first set we seen and were going with it. Just sounding off because I'm a Lil' excited. Plus it sounds like Sony isn't going to be making these sets any longer so I better jump on it.

Welcome to the group and congratulations on your choice.
post #2620 of 4484
to browninggold
very nice choice. xbr 950.
i saw it at abc warehouse a couple of weeks ago.
it took my breath away. it was so bright and clear.
the vt 50 55 inch viera panasonic is a love of the past, they
told me they have to keep it in a dark room because
in the light the led tvs look so much brighter. after reading
about the pixels i think when i get mine i will get the 5 year
warranty. the tv has 18 months im waiting till it goes down a
little. hope you get a good one.
post #2621 of 4484
Wish they made a 75", or even a 70.
post #2622 of 4484
Quote:
Originally Posted by Browninggold View Post

OK you guys ready. I've looked at so many sets I'm tired of looking. Sony, Samsung, Panasonic never seen the Elite but it was a option. I spoke with my local BB Mgr. and tomorrow I'm ordering a Sony 950 55". The wife and I seen one at my local ABC Warehouse and the PQ was impressive. The first set we seen and were going with it. Just sounding off because I'm a Lil' excited. Plus it sounds like Sony isn't going to be making these sets any longer so I better jump on it.


Congrats! I am loving my 55 HX950.
post #2623 of 4484
Hi IMRizzo...can you please send me your calibration settings too....appreciate it!
post #2624 of 4484
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich0449 View Post

Hi IMRizzo...can you please send me your calibration settings too....appreciate it!

see PM
post #2625 of 4484
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbaudoin View Post

Took a quick look at the manual, if you allow video convert, then you have basic picture controls per input. See page 100 of the manual (I know, I don't like having to look at them either, lol). Also, Since there are so many scene modes on the 950, you can set them for each device if you like. Custom & Cinema are more than fair game for getting at least two really good modes (day/night). Some of the other modes will be triggered by content directly from the TV, such as Internet Video... It has unique adjustment ability...

Enjoy..

Thanks, I think you are right. I've been confused about the difference between scene selection and picture mode. I think I can customize as many of the scene selections as I need and use them for my various sources.
post #2626 of 4484
Glad I could assist. You should have unique scene modes for each input, in case you decide to get really complex and feed everything to separate inputs then loop the audio back.... There are soooo many options and ways to set it up. Then, there are always processors! Enjoy the display...
post #2627 of 4484
could anyone with directv snap a pic or two of the guide and channel banner on their 950?
post #2628 of 4484
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich0449 View Post

Hi IMRizzo...can you please send me your calibration settings too....appreciate it!

Hey Imrizzo, I would really appreciate those settings also, I have my 46HX923 being delivered tomorrow.....cant wait!
post #2629 of 4484
I'd like to get some opinions on why or why not you wither keep the sony logo lit or why you turn it off while viewing the TV. I currently keep it lit while watching 2D with a backlight system, but turn it off when watching 3D and having the backlights off.
post #2630 of 4484
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmay91472 View Post

I'd like to get some opinions on why or why not you wither keep the sony logo lit or why you turn it off while viewing the TV. I currently keep it lit while watching 2D with a backlight system, but turn it off when watching 3D and having the backlights off.

It's distracting? Some people don't even like the green power light...
post #2631 of 4484
This tv gets washed out rather quickly from side to side. Does anyone have a clue or an opinion of the tilting angle if mounted on wall? When setting on our couch the Sony Logo is at eye-level?
post #2632 of 4484
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Sullins View Post

This tv gets washed out rather quickly from side to side. Does anyone have a clue or an opinion of the tilting angle if mounted on wall? When setting on our couch the Sony Logo is at eye-level?

Angle it downward to eliminate the off axis problem.
post #2633 of 4484
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmay91472 View Post

I'd like to get some opinions on why or why not you wither keep the sony logo lit or why you turn it off while viewing the TV. I currently keep it lit while watching 2D with a backlight system, but turn it off when watching 3D and having the backlights off.

Exactly what CRITICALSHOT said. I think it was Rizzo's recomendation I saw for the "Light Dims". I checked them out, got some, (they give away samples, nice) and I have one covering the green light. Distracting as heck for me. If it was you Rizzo, thanks for the heads up.
post #2634 of 4484
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMRIZZO View Post

see PM

Why do you insist of giving people people 929 setting for their 950's? There is a more than marginal difference in white balance which plays a huge factor. I know you have said in this thread that you do not post your settings. Why (in another forum which you are a mod or something) did you post your settings and state that you have given X amount of PM's of said settings here?

Curious is all.
post #2635 of 4484
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmagoo327 View Post

to browninggold
very nice choice. xbr 950.
i saw it at abc warehouse a couple of weeks ago.
it took my breath away. it was so bright and clear.
the vt 50 55 inch viera panasonic is a love of the past, they
told me they have to keep it in a dark room because
in the light the led tvs look so much brighter. after reading
about the pixels i think when i get mine i will get the 5 year
warranty. the tv has 18 months im waiting till it goes down a
little. hope you get a good one.

Thanks fellow Michigander. Yeah the wifey and me went into our local ABC and the 950 stuck out like a sore thumb. We shopped for a month or two and always mentioned the Sony. Ordered today. I wish my local BB carried it I would be watching it tonight. U of M/MSU game...go Wolverines
post #2636 of 4484
In the 929 thread I had at least 200+ request for settings since 7/2011
post #2637 of 4484
i hope the sony continues their amazing pic quality in 2013
post #2638 of 4484
Did you end up keeping your Samsung?
post #2639 of 4484
No it's going back. Wasn't a big enough improvement to my d6000. The Sony 850 was though :-/
post #2640 of 4484
Sony changed my ship date to today and they didn't even ship it.. Meanwhile, I'm updating my inbox every hour checking to see if I got that "your order has shipped" email. I'm pretty sure I looked like the forever alone meme every time I checked the inbox and had no email from Sony.1.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: LCD Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Sony XBR-HX950 Owners' Thread (XBR-55HX9​50 and XBR-65HX95​0)