or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Sony XBR-HX950 Owners' Thread (XBR-55HX9​50 and XBR-65HX95​0)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sony XBR-HX950 Owners' Thread (XBR-55HX9​50 and XBR-65HX95​0) - Page 107

post #3181 of 4490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post

Looks like I can see 3 or 4 bands. But if you can't see them with regular material, don't get nuts over it. I wonder if local dimming is disengaged with that screensaver?

I'm not 100% positive, but I think I read somewhere that local dimming is off on the input screens (as well as game mode),hence why everyone's no input home screen looks like such a train wreck, when in reality it is far from that with the local dimming on.
post #3182 of 4490
Yeah me and my son are really eyeballing the FP during the Ohio St/Arizona game and we see absolutely no banding. Crisp detailed picture. I'm happy
post #3183 of 4490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Browninggold View Post

Ken yeah I don't know if it is or not. I use IMRIZZO settings and backlight is set @ 5. I am a Silver rewards member so I believe I have 45 days for return. Is that banding considered real bad? Meaning on my photos do some sets have a darker image of banding? Or is there no such thing as a darker band or a lighter band?

I'll leave that to the owners who know this set a lot better than I do.
post #3184 of 4490
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmay91472 View Post

I'm not 100% positive, but I think I read somewhere that local dimming is off on the input screens (as well as game mode),hence why everyone's no input home screen looks like such a train wreck, when in reality it is far from that with the local dimming on.

I'm not surprised at all. That was the first thing that came to my mind looking at that picture. I seem to recall that look on my 929.

So it really makes no difference. As long as the regular programming is great, no worries.
post #3185 of 4490
Well I finally went to pull the trigger on the 55" 950 TV because I noticed it was $2600 on Cleveland Plasma's website. I called and talked to him (Chris) and he told me that it was $3100, not $2600. I told him it says $2600 on his website and he got rather rude with me about it. He said that it wasn't in stock and I said it shows that it is in stock and says $2600. If that's the way he does his business then good riddance to him, he won't be getting my money. It's still listed $2600 on his site, what a moron.
post #3186 of 4490
Your right it says $2600 and in stock. I should order another one. The 65" is on special also
post #3187 of 4490
It also looks like we are having issues all around with our site. I new I had the price corrected a while back. Our lower priced vender ran out of stock about three weeks ago. I tried to explain this quite a few times, that there where errors on my web site, I logged right in just after our convo. The admin part of the site could not even be accessed, now my web site is not even up. Not much I can do ( Except apologize to the world ) if the server screws up, then crashes. Stinks that are web guy is not in there office either.......

--All I can say is I am sorry for the errors on our web site. I was not trying to come across rude, just trying to explain the errors on my web site. If that was the way I was taken, I apologize for that also. I have your number and I will see what I can do. Thank you for taking my call a moment ago montana girl. I sent out a few e-mails to a few different connection.

--With that being said we can actually go a tad lower than the said price, above.


Web site back up, errors fixed within 2 hours. Sorry everyone frown.gif
.
.
.
.
Edited by Cleveland Plasma - 3/29/13 at 9:18am
post #3188 of 4490
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMRIZZO View Post

It ceases to get the fair recognition because, most video follower's passion's are in a Pro-Plasma based society, most video media reviewers and publication are slanted towards Plasma panels who refuse to wander from their narrow minded opinions and recognize the quality of the XBR's capabilites.. Only Home Theater's Reviewer Thomas J. Norton gives Sony it's due credit. Even CNET's David Katzmaier touts them pretty high he also puts them down (CNET has long been known to be Pro-Panasonic Plasma advocate) For some reason there is definitely a Sony dislike amongst most of those people.If you read the CNET review it gives the Owners average rating a 3.5 but if you read those reviews they are each a 5 star rating and yet CNET only reflects a 3.5 rating by owners ??? WTH

Fug'em, I'm more than happy with my panels and will debate PQ with any plasma owner, with the only dogma being off axis viewing

Because they don't check their reviews before they allow them to post, some moron rated it a 1 star which wasn't even a review of the tv, it says something about an old Sony tv of his that went bad. Katzmeier's review seemed to be hugely positive, but then it was rated 3.5, the minuses he listed weren't enough to knock it down that far. Made no sense to me. Blooming is not a big deal on this set whatsoever, in my opinion. He says Menu/Internet service design is lackluster, so I guess that's that a star off. lol.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post

Thanks Airgas, you and I are in precisely the same pool of panels. Though with me I don't think the ZT60 will meet my time frame.

What I'm trying to figure out are the advantages of the F8500 over the 950. Other than the potential for visible banding on the 950, I'm not sure I see any.

950: No worries about IR, buzzing, floating blacks or bright room characteristics. Best in class black levels, great color, detail and overall PQ. The only real drawbacks (if applicable) is viewing angle and the potential for visible banding. For my wife and I, I don't think this is an issue any more than it is with my Elite. The Elite has a poor viewing angle too.

8500: Great color, excellent detail, good black levels, but not best in class, great viewing angles. Drawbacks: Potential for IR & buzzing and not best-in-class black levels (yeah, black levels fall in both the pluses & minuses category IMO).

Looks pretty close, but frankly, looking at my own list, it's hard not to give the edge to the Sony. smile.gif

I have no issues with the viewing angle, unless it's 3D content where it's much better straight on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Browninggold View Post




I guess what has been seen cannot be unseen. We really do not notice during regular viewing..I may now though smile.gif. Should I ask for a replacement?

Thanks, hopefully taking those doesn't make you change your opinion on the set! If you don't notice it, it's not an issue. I'm starting to get used to mine, and others that have been over don't seem to notice it, so I think I've been just way too anal about it.
post #3189 of 4490
No everything's great. As cmay stated above all the no input signal looks like train wrecks so I'd have to agree something is turned off when that happens.
post #3190 of 4490
Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskerTornado View Post


Thanks, hopefully taking those doesn't make you change your opinion on the set! If you don't notice it, it's not an issue. I'm starting to get used to mine, and others that have been over don't seem to notice it, so I think I've been just way too anal about it.

Not at all. I don't worry about how a screensaver looks. I've seen the Sony often enough that I know how good it really is. The only thing I've looked for recently is banding.
post #3191 of 4490
Quote:
Originally Posted by montana girl View Post

Well I finally went to pull the trigger on the 55" 950 TV because I noticed it was $2600 on Cleveland Plasma's website. I called and talked to him (Chris) and he told me that it was $3100, not $2600. I told him it says $2600 on his website and he got rather rude with me about it. He said that it wasn't in stock and I said it shows that it is in stock and says $2600. If that's the way he does his business then good riddance to him, he won't be getting my money. It's still listed $2600 on his site, what a moron.

Chris is a very responsive retailer and goes out of his way to accommodate people, I'm sure you misinterpreted his response.
post #3192 of 4490
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonyXBR9501 View Post

Hatedgreatness - How did you know when the Sony TV was delivered to you that it was "recertified." Was it out of the box? I am in the process of getting a replacement TV and want to know what to look out for.

Thank you,
mine came in a re certified box and had a re certified sticker on the back of the tv when I asked them about it they said there new tv come in re certified boxes which is an obvious lie and when I told them about the re certified sticker on the back of the tv they shut up.if your getting your tv replaced by sony I can almost guarantee your getting a refurbished tv.good luck you well need it lol
post #3193 of 4490
It only makes since they would go over returned sets with a fine tooth comb. If not it would be one vicious circle
post #3194 of 4490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Browninggold View Post

It only makes since they would go over returned sets with a fine tooth comb. If not it would be one vicious circle
you would think that but iv received two refurbished tvs and both have obvious flaws on them.it's really disappointing and bad for Sony and the delivery guy said these tvs get swapped out more then any other tvs he has seen
post #3195 of 4490
My XBR9's clock syncs automatically. I don't know if its NTP or what. Any idea if the 950 can do this?

I can't seem to get it to.
post #3196 of 4490
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1971 View Post

I dont notice any banding during the day or at night so I wont even bother to look for it. Thanks again buddy for the explanation.
I think I will take IMRIZZO's suggestion and not even try and look for it. Why bother if I dont see it day or night.

Good decision. I remember back when I first purchased my 55ES8000, I went into the forum and heard all of this talk about vertical banding. I would look at posts of photos that would have other folks replying with "OMG that's horrible!" and I would just be staring at it wondering what the hell I was looking for. I decided it wasn't worth trying to find out if it wasn't naturally detected by my untrained eye.

About 2 weeks ago I was glancing through the thread and without even looking for it, it jumped out at me. I finally saw it. Now whenever photos are posted I see it instantly and without looking. Granted, people are only posting photos of the worst of the worst, generally speaking, so that skews things. And to be honest, I still probably wouldn't notice it during normal viewing because I'm not that anal about it. But the truth is, there's no reason to go ruining your viewing experience if it doesn't jump out at you on it's own.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMRIZZO View Post

It ceases to get the fair recognition because, most video follower's passion's are in a Pro-Plasma based society, most video media reviewers and publication are slanted towards Plasma panels who refuse to wander from their narrow minded opinions and recognize the quality of the XBR's capabilites.. Only Home Theater's Reviewer Thomas J. Norton gives Sony it's due credit. Even CNET's David Katzmaier touts them pretty high he also puts them down (CNET has long been known to be Pro-Panasonic Plasma advocate) For some reason there is definitely a Sony dislike amongst most of those people.If you read the CNET review it gives the Owners average rating a 3.5 but if you read those reviews they are each a 5 star rating and yet CNET only reflects a 3.5 rating by owners ??? WTH

Fug'em, I'm more than happy with my panels and will debate PQ with any plasma owner, with the only dogma being off axis viewing

Word. I gave up on looking for unbiased reviews (especially from CNET) about 8 years ago or so. Incidentally part of it happened after an email back-and-forth with Katzmaier. I also think the Sony dislike has stemmed from the fact that their XBR line always carried a premium price, and in a lot of reviewers' eyes, the XBR line didn't dominate the competition subsequent to the XBR1 (including the SXRD). There has always been some sort of a "yeah it's the best picture on an LCD/LED, but it's $500 more than the next best ...so we're going to exaggerate all the negatives we can find and then rate it lower" mentality.
post #3197 of 4490
" Chris is a very responsive retailer and goes out of his way to accommodate people, I'm sure you misinterpreted his response."




I don't think I misinterpreted rudeness. I had a friend sitting near by, she heard what was said on my end and knew something was wrong as I generally don't get upset. I don't want to turn this into a big deal or get on here to continue to bash him but I thought his poor responses were way out of line and I won't be doing any business with him. Let's move on.
post #3198 of 4490
Quote:
Originally Posted by bplewis24 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1971 View Post

I dont notice any banding during the day or at night so I wont even bother to look for it. Thanks again buddy for the explanation.
I think I will take IMRIZZO's suggestion and not even try and look for it. Why bother if I dont see it day or night.

Good decision. I remember back when I first purchased my 55ES8000, I went into the forum and heard all of this talk about vertical banding. I would look at posts of photos that would have other folks replying with "OMG that's horrible!" and I would just be staring at it wondering what the hell I was looking for. I decided it wasn't worth trying to find out if it wasn't naturally detected by my untrained eye.

About 2 weeks ago I was glancing through the thread and without even looking for it, it jumped out at me. I finally saw it. Now whenever photos are posted I see it instantly and without looking. Granted, people are only posting photos of the worst of the worst, generally speaking, so that skews things. And to be honest, I still probably wouldn't notice it during normal viewing because I'm not that anal about it. But the truth is, there's no reason to go ruining your viewing experience if it doesn't jump out at you on it's own.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMRIZZO View Post

It ceases to get the fair recognition because, most video follower's passion's are in a Pro-Plasma based society, most video media reviewers and publication are slanted towards Plasma panels who refuse to wander from their narrow minded opinions and recognize the quality of the XBR's capabilites.. Only Home Theater's Reviewer Thomas J. Norton gives Sony it's due credit. Even CNET's David Katzmaier touts them pretty high he also puts them down (CNET has long been known to be Pro-Panasonic Plasma advocate) For some reason there is definitely a Sony dislike amongst most of those people.If you read the CNET review it gives the Owners average rating a 3.5 but if you read those reviews they are each a 5 star rating and yet CNET only reflects a 3.5 rating by owners ??? WTH

Fug'em, I'm more than happy with my panels and will debate PQ with any plasma owner, with the only dogma being off axis viewing

Word. I gave up on looking for unbiased reviews (especially from CNET) about 8 years ago or so. Incidentally part of it happened after an email back-and-forth with Katzmaier. I also think the Sony dislike has stemmed from the fact that their XBR line always carried a premium price, and in a lot of reviewers' eyes, the XBR line didn't dominate the competition subsequent to the XBR1 (including the SXRD). There has always been some sort of a "yeah it's the best picture on an LCD/LED, but it's $500 more than the next best ...so we're going to exaggerate all the negatives we can find and then rate it lower" mentality.


I also stopped reading Cnets reviews when it comes to Sony. They hold a grudge against Sony for some reason and they seem to be Plasma only supporters. I trust Home Theaters Tom Norton when he gives a review because he is unbiased and fair.
post #3199 of 4490
Quote:
Originally Posted by montana girl View Post

" Chris is a very responsive retailer and goes out of his way to accommodate people, I'm sure you misinterpreted his response."




I don't think I misinterpreted rudeness. I had a friend sitting near by, she heard what was said on my end and knew something was wrong as I generally don't get upset. I don't want to turn this into a big deal or get on here to continue to bash him but I thought his poor responses were way out of line and I won't be doing any business with him. Let's move on.

I've seen several major players act like this on these forums at times. Everyone has a bad day, but I don't you can misinterpret bad customer service.
post #3200 of 4490
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarrettF77 View Post

I've seen several major players act like this on these forums at times. Everyone has a bad day, but I don't you can misinterpret bad customer service.

I agree. If Cleveland Plasma incorrectly had the price of the HX950 up and active, then it is extremely poor customer service to not honor the price posted.... especially if he was aware of the error and didn't do anything about it. If the web content person was not available to make the correction, it still falls on Chris to honor it IMHO and get a better web content person that is always on stand-by for situations like this.

To post an excuse like he did instead of just saying "my mistake.... I'll honor the price" is even worse customer service by Cleveland Plasma than not honoring the price to begin with. Saving $400 is definitely not worth the amount at running the risk of damaging your e-tailor reputation especially in forums like this. Not sure what he was thinking by posting his excuse.
post #3201 of 4490
I have tried to buy this tv though every Best Buy around me, and they are all saying it is unavailable. So, I'm thinking about ordering it through Sony. My question is with all of this talk about them replacing damaged sets with re-certified ones, should I be concerned if I buy a new one, they may try to pawn off a re-certified one to me? Are they in fact out of new sets, and just trying to empty their inventory of returned sets, or does this just pertain to replacement sets?
post #3202 of 4490
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloomer88 View Post

I have tried to buy this tv though every Best Buy around me, and they are all saying it is unavailable. So, I'm thinking about ordering it through Sony. My question is with all of this talk about them replacing damaged sets with re-certified ones, should I be concerned if I buy a new one, they may try to pawn off a re-certified one to me? Are they in fact out of new sets, and just trying to empty their inventory of returned sets, or does this just pertain to replacement sets?
far as I know it only pertain to to replacement sets but not sure I bought mine off Amazon
post #3203 of 4490
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloomer88 View Post

I have tried to buy this tv though every Best Buy around me, and they are all saying it is unavailable. So, I'm thinking about ordering it through Sony. My question is with all of this talk about them replacing damaged sets with re-certified ones, should I be concerned if I buy a new one, they may try to pawn off a re-certified one to me? Are they in fact out of new sets, and just trying to empty their inventory of returned sets, or does this just pertain to replacement sets?

I have to assume something like this would be illegal or some sort of unacceptable business practice. If something is not new, they would have to disclose it.
post #3204 of 4490
Quote:
Originally Posted by hatedgreatness View Post

far as I know it only pertain to to replacement sets but not sure I bought mine off Amazon

Amazon is currently posting 4 available @ 3199.
post #3205 of 4490
Quote:
Originally Posted by bplewis24 View Post

I have to assume something like this would be illegal or some sort of unacceptable business practice. If something is not new, they would have to disclose it.

I agree. I don't know why, but that thought just crossed my mind. Thanks for easing my mind.
post #3206 of 4490
Hey do any of ya'll think this set will be available in say June the 65 inch. I ask because I got the okay from wifey to purchase in June, it was between the f8000 and this set, been back and forth between the two and think now I am set on this one and I have been reading that this set is discontinued and they might be pulling them from the stores, warehouses etc.. and if i need to go ahead and try and convince wifey to just get it now.
post #3207 of 4490
How does the 929 compare to the 950?
post #3208 of 4490
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdjocp View Post

Hey do any of ya'll think this set will be available in say June the 65 inch. I ask because I got the okay from wifey to purchase in June, it was between the f8000 and this set, been back and forth between the two and think now I am set on this one and I have been reading that this set is discontinued and they might be pulling them from the stores, warehouses etc.. and if i need to go ahead and try and convince wifey to just get it now.
F8000 does not stand a chance against the XBR. XBR is Full Array Local Dimming Display. The F8000 is Edge lit with Pin Point Dimming. Pin Point Dimming is something Samsung came up with after they where sued by Sharp for patent infringement. It is nothing like local dimming.
post #3209 of 4490
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMRIZZO View Post

Amazon is currently posting 4 available @ 3199.
I got mine for 2998 :-)
post #3210 of 4490
Quote:
Originally Posted by hatedgreatness View Post

I got mine for 2998 :-)

Care to share where? You can pm me of its against the threads rules
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: LCD Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Sony XBR-HX950 Owners' Thread (XBR-55HX9​50 and XBR-65HX95​0)