or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Sony XBR-HX950 Owners' Thread (XBR-55HX9​50 and XBR-65HX95​0)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sony XBR-HX950 Owners' Thread (XBR-55HX9​50 and XBR-65HX95​0) - Page 128

post #3811 of 4485
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavius View Post

Hello all, I'm back after a long absence. Now I'm the one asking for help. My 65HX950 has developed this "issue" where almost every day, only once, a few minutes after I power it on, it REBOOTS itself. Screen goes blank, Sony logo pops on screen. After that everything is normal. At first I thought it was software updates, but there's no way that can be the case this frequently. Could my set be flaky or going bad? Anyone else have this problem?

EDIT: Searched the thread, and it seems changing from wired to wireless enet might help. Will try that.

I have seen this a few times recently but only when using the Sony TV apps (YouTube or Netflix). Just figured the apps are crap smile.gif I hope I don't start seeing this when not using the apps.
post #3812 of 4485
Imrizzo,

Could you please send me your settings. I just purchased the 55hx950 and absolutely love it. I've been reading great things about your settings and would love to try them out. Thank you.
post #3813 of 4485
I am reporting back on my vertical banding issue. The 2nd geek squad tech just left my house. Let me just say his service BLEW me away.

I showed him the faint vertical lines on the no input screen. Then I played him my home made HD video. In this video I was showing a lot of panning over sold colors, like walls and counter tops. It was way easier to see it this way.

It only took him less than 2 minutes. he said "I see it. I hate to see that on my TV too. I will take care it."

He gave me his advice to possibly live with this issue and report it 3 years later. That way I can probably get a fancy new TV, maybe OLED by then. As interesting that sounded I am not sure if I can get someone again in 3 years from geek squad who is willing to work with me on this issue. So I said lets call it in.

He called Sony and issued me a confirmation paper from geek squad. Strangely Sony did not proceed with a factory exchange. Instead the tech generated a confirmation paper for me and said to go to a BestBuy and they will give me a new TV, and they take back my TV.
I asked what if they no longer have my TV? He said they probably offer me a comparable TV to choose.

I asked him what if the new TV has an issue?
What if there is banding?
What if there is only 1 dead pixel?
What if I get plasma and I develop screen burn in?

He said:
Some technicians do not help the customer in regards to those issues, but I can. Even if you have image burn (lines or logos) or one dead pixel on the side, I can replace the set for you.

Then he gave me his cell number and said in future just ask for him and he will help me with future issues.

Just WoW, I am very happy with his service. So should I seek another XBR or maybe look into VT60? hmmmmm
post #3814 of 4485
I liked the VT I had before my XBR, but image retention was huge with those. If you game, like the tv to be bright or the room has many windows, or excessive heat are issues in your home, avoid the plasma. I'd try and pitch them to help you get the 900 series 4k set. It's not back lit, but it's a shot.
post #3815 of 4485
What did you decide to do? Sony offered one replacement set for mine because the banding was horrible (right above the Sony logo). The next set arrived and now I have three lines visible during any panning shots or hockey games or really any light colored background. My third tv arrives in 4 days and if that isn't better, I'm going to switch to the Panasonice ZT 60. I didn't pay nearly $5,000 for a tv with gray bars. This is ridiculous and I didn't expect this from a Sony tv.
post #3816 of 4485
Sorry, can't delete this post.
post #3817 of 4485
This was a question for someone who posted earlier that they were thinking of returning the TV. Unfortunately, I didn't use the quote feature correctly so it didn't pull it in.
post #3818 of 4485
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnBoston123 View Post

This was a question for someone who posted earlier that they were thinking of returning the TV. Unfortunately, I didn't use the quote feature correctly so it didn't pull it in.

Well, I went and visited another 65hx950 in a BB store as a possible replacement for my unit. I tested the panel for banding and it was bad. Actually worse than my set. So I my options now are:

New TC-P65VT60
Display model Elite PRO-70X5FD (I have to pay extra to get this)
post #3819 of 4485
Quote:
Originally Posted by rx74ray View Post

Well, I went and visited another 65hx950 in a BB store as a possible replacement for my unit. I tested the panel for banding and it was bad. Actually worse than my set. So I my options now are:

New TC-P65VT60
Display model Elite PRO-70X5FD (I have to pay extra to get this)

From seeing the VT 60 at the Shootout and listening to the calibrators expand on their choices and their reasoning and All were impressed in the VT60 performance. the ZT is the icing on the cake.
Last years shootout inc'd the Elite and these same calibrators were surprised with the PQ but had issues with color adj. that plus the fact they are not going to produce anymore (that kinda tells ya something).
I would definitely go with the VT60
post #3820 of 4485
Hello all,

I was going to see if I could get some opinions/insite in regards to some settings that an ISF persons has implemented on my XBR 950 55". I googled my questions and have fallen short, with that being said this is the next best solution to getting to the bottom of my dilema.

First Question:

So, the technician adjusted my "PRO Picture Setup" and I don't quite understand if the calibrations made are optimal, or have a clear understanding of what they actual do (I did ask the technician but didn't get far). He adusted the "Color Matirix > HDMI > to CUSTOM > 1080 p & i > ITU709. In this setting that I just mentioned you have the choice to choose "AUTO" or "CUSTOM" (Currently set to "CUSTOM"). Is this optimal / what does this affect?

Second Question:

Same menu, he adjusted the HDMI Dynamic Range > to "Limited". This menu gives you the option to choose "Limited", "Full", or "Auto". I believe my two questions are directly related to each other, but I don't understand how. Is this adjustment to the HDMI Dynamic Range optimal?

Last Question:

With the above calibrations being done he moved directly over to my X-BOX (strictly used for gaming only) and set the "HDMI Color Space" > to YcbCr709. Again, I believe all of these adjustments go hand in hand, but I don't understand how or know if it's optimal for my situation.

Any insight into my dilema would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks so much for reading and have a great day! smile.gif
post #3821 of 4485
Quote:
Originally Posted by rx74ray View Post

Well, I went and visited another 65hx950 in a BB store as a possible replacement for my unit. I tested the panel for banding and it was bad. Actually worse than my set. So I my options now are:

New TC-P65VT60
Display model Elite PRO-70X5FD (I have to pay extra to get this)

Thanks. I stopped by Best Buy today and spoke with the Magnolia guy. He basically said wait for my replacement from Sony, let them open the box then come return the tv for the zt60. He had nothing but good things to say about the zt60 and it's also got a price lower than the Sony. I did also see the new 70" sony and was shocked that there was NO banding on the display at all. I asked if they go through a few panels to find a perfect one and he said absolutely not. He then showed me a sharp tv they had on display (an 80") which had horrible banding and light coming through along the bottom. He said most of the sharps were that way.

Sounds like the zt60 is my near future.
post #3822 of 4485
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnBoston123 View Post

Thanks. I stopped by Best Buy today and spoke with the Magnolia guy. He basically said wait for my replacement from Sony, let them open the box then come return the tv for the zt60. He had nothing but good things to say about the zt60 and it's also got a price lower than the Sony. I did also see the new 70" sony and was shocked that there was NO banding on the display at all. I asked if they go through a few panels to find a perfect one and he said absolutely not. He then showed me a sharp tv they had on display (an 80") which had horrible banding and light coming through along the bottom. He said most of the sharps were that way.

Sounds like the zt60 is my near future.

Excellent choice, you won't be disappointed. GL keep us posted with your results.
post #3823 of 4485
Here the latest offer on my XBR replacement:

All excluding tax and extended warranty:

New 65" VT50 for $2650
Display model 70" Elite $3400 + Free delivery

I went and looked at the Elite. It had greasy prints all over it and it was sitting in their warehouse some where. After we cleaned it up, I see no issues. Later this week I will take some videos to store and test it out. I don't want to see DSE or banding.

I am thinking if I pick a trouble free LED, if can last for a very long time with consistent quality. However, on a plasma, I will be stuck if the screen develops IR or burn in years down the road. I have an eye for these things. That's why I am worried.
post #3824 of 4485
Quote:
Originally Posted by rx74ray View Post

Here the latest offer on my XBR replacement:

All excluding tax and extended warranty:

New 65" VT50 for $2650
Display model 70" Elite $3400 + Free delivery

I went and looked at the Elite. It had greasy prints all over it and it was sitting in their warehouse some where. After we cleaned it up, I see no issues. Later this week I will take some videos to store and test it out. I don't want to see DSE or banding.

I am thinking if I pick a trouble free LED, if can last for a very long time with consistent quality. However, on a plasma, I will be stuck if the screen develops IR or burn in years down the road. I have an eye for these things. That's why I am worried.

Tough choice and neither of them impress me the newer 60 series Panasonic is a top notch set, and sharp has had it's problems w/color accuracy. Like I said tough choice ?
post #3825 of 4485
oops I meant VT60...

I will setup a test session at BB for Friday night and look for DSE/banding/dead pixel/uniformity/motion handling/etc...
Then I will pick my TV.
Color accuracy does not bother me as much as uniformity issues....

thanks
Edited by rx74ray - 6/16/13 at 5:46pm
post #3826 of 4485
Quote:
Originally Posted by rx74ray View Post

oops I meant VT60...

I will setup a test session at BB for Friday night and look for DSE/banding/dead pixel/uniformity/motion handling/etc...
Then I will pick my TV.
Color accuracy does not bother me as much as uniformity issues....

thanks
The inclusion of YELLOW into the mix by Sharp hinders proper calibration Sharp promised to correct this abnormality but 2 yrs later nothing has been done. It produces a teal factor into the color mix that can't be corrected without throwing the rest of the color matrix off. ?
post #3827 of 4485
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMRIZZO View Post

Contact SONY it appears to be a bad power board.

I took the TV to the Sony service center last week. Today they called me saying the TV could not be repaired and since the HX950 is discontinued, they could not give a new a one. Sony is going to refund me the money in about four weeks. So I got a month to think of another TV to buy.
post #3828 of 4485
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLeeb View Post

I took the TV to the Sony service center last week. Today they called me saying the TV could not be repaired and since the HX950 is discontinued, they could not give a new a one. Sony is going to refund me the money in about four weeks. So I got a month to think of another TV to buy.

I'm surprised they didn't offer you a refurb ??
post #3829 of 4485
I just bought one, the 65 inch. I am replacing my 60 inch KDS-R60XBR1 LCOS HDTV. I hope there is a big difference. There was nothing wrong with my old set.. I just figured it was time to upgrade.
post #3830 of 4485
Quote:
Originally Posted by budeone View Post

I just bought one, the 65 inch. I am replacing my 60 inch KDS-R60XBR1 LCOS HDTV. I hope there is a big difference. There was nothing wrong with my old set.. I just figured it was time to upgrade.

If you got a good one you'll be amazed by it.
post #3831 of 4485
RIP Tony Soprano ....James Gandolfini died today in Italy



Tony Soprano is gone.
Edited by IMRIZZO - 6/19/13 at 6:14pm
post #3832 of 4485
Very Sad news
He was not that old was he?
Well rest in peace Tony Soprano.
post #3833 of 4485
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfiu7955 View Post

Very Sad news
He was not that old was he?
Well rest in peace Tony Soprano.

51
post #3834 of 4485
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMRIZZO View Post

I'm surprised they didn't offer you a refurb ??

I was also expecting a refurbished TV but it didn't happen. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that I live in Mexico city and this TV hasn't sold very well here.

We don't get many flagship models of any brand. I was looking to buy a VT60 or ZT60, but Panasonic only sells one plasma model over here, the VT50.
post #3835 of 4485
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLeeb View Post

I was also expecting a refurbished TV but it didn't happen. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that I live in Mexico city and this TV hasn't sold very well here.

We don't get many flagship models of any brand. I was looking to buy a VT60 or ZT60, but Panasonic only sells one plasma model over here, the VT50.

I don't think so,
They told me the same think in California. I think they are phasing it out completely.
post #3836 of 4485
Quote:
Originally Posted by rx74ray View Post

I don't think so,
They told me the same think in California. I think they are phasing it out completely.

Sony has stopped production of the 950's a while ago what you are seeing is Suppliers inventory which is drying up quickly, it is the same with the 929 series some are still popping up here and there.
Their producing the 900A's now. Amazon searches out those suppliers and that's why you see them every once in a while in Amazon.
post #3837 of 4485
Hi Imrizzo,

Like a lot of others I'd love to try out your settings. If you could send them to me that would be amazing. Thank you!
post #3838 of 4485
post #3839 of 4485
Just got the new issue of Home Theater mag today. Tom Norton tests the KDL-55W900A and compares it to the 950. He pretty well stated he prefers the 950, thanks to the better black level. He also advises if you want a 950, you better grab one while they are still available.
Sorry, no link yet on this.


Edit: Oops, here's the link.

http://www.hometheater.com/content/sony-kdl-55w900a-3d-lcd-hdtv

I don't know why I should subscribe, if it's going to be posted online the same day. mad.gif
Edited by ti-triodes - 6/21/13 at 3:32pm
post #3840 of 4485
Quote:
Originally Posted by ti-triodes View Post

Just got the new issue of Home Theater mag today. Tom Norton tests the KDL-55W900A and compares it to the 950. He pretty well stated he prefers the 950, thanks to the better black level. He also advises if you want a 950, you better grab one while they are still available.
Sorry, no link yet on this.
I quickly glanced through the review, and he is and was a fan of the XBR950 They did a review of a 55" but not the 65" panel.(which has experienced the most failures)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: LCD Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Sony XBR-HX950 Owners' Thread (XBR-55HX9​50 and XBR-65HX95​0)