or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Sony XBR-HX950 Owners' Thread (XBR-55HX9​50 and XBR-65HX95​0)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sony XBR-HX950 Owners' Thread (XBR-55HX9​50 and XBR-65HX95​0) - Page 143

post #4261 of 4483

After about a month of research it came down between the Panasonic ZT60 (Plasma) and this TV.

 

The IR scares me on the Panny, and this LED seems to be the closest thing to that TV without going to 4k (in terms of blacks).

 

Where would you recommend that I purchase this TV to get the best deal? I am looking for the 65 inch. Thanks!

post #4262 of 4483
You know, all this talk about settings has me thinking. The best thing Sony could do now is give the set 3 memory buttons for all the settings. Then, if you are happy with what you have, you can try someone like Rizzo's settings and toggle back and fourth to see what looks better to your eyes. I have mine set up the way I like it, but if I was to change it out to try something new and was disappointed, I would have no idea where it was before. I set it up a year ago and haven't thought about it since. Just a thought.
post #4263 of 4483
Quote:
Originally Posted by taken View Post

You know, all this talk about settings has me thinking. The best thing Sony could do now is give the set 3 memory buttons for all the settings. Then, if you are happy with what you have, you can try someone like Rizzo's settings and toggle back and fourth to see what looks better to your eyes. I have mine set up the way I like it, but if I was to change it out to try something new and was disappointed, I would have no idea where it was before. I set it up a year ago and haven't thought about it since. Just a thought.

Surely you jest. That's exactly what you have right now! You can toggle between the three settings labelled STANDARD, CUSTOM, and VIVID by selecting the "Picture" option, which can also be set up as a button on your programmable remote.

All three of those settings are customizable.
post #4264 of 4483
Good point, I never thought about the programmable button. I guess I'm just lazy and wanted a 1/2/3 like the memory buttons on your car. wink.gif
post #4265 of 4483
Unfortunately, Sony does not provide an 'in-hand owners manual', but instead an online e-manual which is not as easy to scan through (my bitch, for such an expensive TV). If you had access to such a manual it would eliminate a lot of these questions.
Edited by IMRIZZO - 11/10/13 at 4:35pm
post #4266 of 4483
Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdie41 View Post

So I am on my second 55HX950 panel, the first one had clouding/blooming/bleeding coming from the upper right corner and the one I have now has a complete Z clouding over its screen. Sony offered me the KDL55W900A, but if you buy an XBR I am expecting an XBR replacement, especially being a Sony customer since the eighties...See my picture below for my current blooming, VERY annoying during darker scenes. Lets end with something positive, the PQ itself is great, but man, if you buy a flagship I cannot live with all that bleeding clouding flashlighting etc. on my screen, then I would just buy a 1000 dollar TV at the local grocery store and live with it. And dont point me into plasma, I've been on that road before with no succes, dull picture, buzzing, etc.mad.gif

I have s similar problem, I have an HX909 XBR... I love the picture quality but my set has a problem with the blacks they have purple/blue glow around them.. I contacted Sony 5 times had a tech come and they agree to replace it with the w900a. I didn't bitch at Sony because the new XBR are 4k I felt a bit saddened though.. When you got your replacement was it a brand new tv? was it refurbished? I fear that I will have a refurbished model.. I also kind of think it sucks that I am not getting an XBR when I paid full price for my XBR in 2011

post #4267 of 4483
Quote:
Originally Posted by vermeer View Post

I have s similar problem, I have an HX909 XBR... I love the picture quality but my set has a problem with the blacks they have purple/blue glow around them.. I contacted Sony 5 times had a tech come and they agree to replace it with the w900a. I didn't bitch at Sony because the new XBR are 4k I felt a bit saddened though.. When you got your replacement was it a brand new tv? was it refurbished? I fear that I will have a refurbished model.. I also kind of think it sucks that I am not getting an XBR when I paid full price for my XBR in 2011

52HX909 is based one Sharp panel while all later 46" 55" HX8x0 , HX9x0, W900A are based on S-LCD S-PVA / PSA panels...

However ... Just like all 42" / 47" / 55" W800A rev 2.0's panels have been changed from LG S-IPS + FPR to AUO A-MVA / PSA + FPR 100/120Hz, it is also heard that 46" / 55" W900A, W950A rev 2.0 panels are also changed from S-LCD S-PVA / PSA to AUO A-MVA / PSA 200/240Hz...

I cannot judge if it is a good change or not since a good AUO A-MVA's (5000:1) native CR performance is usually better than S-LCD's S-PVA (1600:1 for new one, 2800:1 for old one). But you never know if Sony always selects the special A-grade one from AUO just like what he requested from S-LCD... One penny, one quality...


The current panel installed on 65W850A is S-LCD S-PVA / PSA NUD3Y650LN010 100/120Hz...
But its backlight design seems to have some flaws at both edge sides according to some user's complaints...
post #4268 of 4483

Well you lost me there... question will the w900a preform on par with my older hx909? I don't care if it isn't better, I only hope it is on par

post #4269 of 4483
Quote:
Originally Posted by vermeer View Post

Well you lost me there... question will the w900a preform on par with my older hx909? I don't care if it isn't better, I only hope it is on par

It is difficult to compare them. HX909 is at least similar to HX929 / HX950 -- direct back-lit + (not so effective) local-dimming while W900A is an edge-lit set like HX850. W900A has the newer S-PVA / PSA panel + QuandumDot LED backlight source for wider gamut... (which is not so useful unless you watch BT.2020 UHDTV or 4K contents)

HX909 was not highly rated from many reviews. But I think it was due to the $$$$ paid for that set. Sony fought it back with HX929 / HX950 again and even HX850 got a better c/p than HX950 if the deep black performance is not compared.

But direct back-lit design is totally dropped on all Sony 2013 models. So you might have no choice but accept W900A.
Edited by tiger685287 - 11/11/13 at 12:51am
post #4270 of 4483
My 55” model just developed a 3 pixel wide line that stretches almost the entire length of the screen about 1/3 of the way up from the bottom. It looks like a black string has been inserted into most scenes. Does this sound like something that can be fixed or is a refurbished unit in my future?
post #4271 of 4483
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave A. View Post

My 55” model just developed a 3 pixel wide line that stretches almost the entire length of the screen about 1/3 of the way up from the bottom. It looks like a black string has been inserted into most scenes. Does this sound like something that can be fixed or is a refurbished unit in my future?

Sounds like a refurb to me.
post #4272 of 4483
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger685287 View Post

It is difficult to compare them. HX909 is at least similar to HX929 / HX950 -- direct back-lit + (not so effective) local-dimming while W900A is an edge-lit set like HX850. W900A has the newer S-PVA / PSA panel + QuandumDot LED backlight source for wider gamut... (which is not so useful unless you watch BT.2020 UHDTV or 4K contents)

HX909 was not highly rated from many reviews. But I think it was due to the $$$$ paid for that set.Sony fought it back with HX929 / HX950 again and even HX850 got a better c/p than HX950 if the deep black performance is not compared.

But direct back-lit design is totally dropped on all Sony 2013 models. So you might have no choice but accept W900A.

I wish reviews were done strictly on a quality basis, and not subjected to considerations of pricing.

All I want to know is the PQ and performance abilities. I will determine if the price is within the price range I'm comfortable with and willing to spend.
post #4273 of 4483
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMRIZZO View Post

Sounds like a refurb to me.

Yeah, this is depressing me. For the first time in ages I looked at the new TVs this year and I didn't find anything that would be an upgrade for my purposes. Sony told me to try a factory reset, so I'll do that tonight and call them when it doesn't work.
post #4274 of 4483
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave A. View Post

Yeah, this is depressing me. For the first time in ages I looked at the new TVs this year and I didn't find anything that would be an upgrade for my purposes. Sony told me to try a factory reset, so I'll do that tonight and call them when it doesn't work.

It's worth a try but I don't believe it'll help. Good luck !
post #4275 of 4483
I was hoping someone could help me out. I have the 65HX950 and was finally looking into mounting it on the wall. There are so many options for mounts available from 20$ to 100$. Can you guys suggest which mounts you have used and where i can purchase them?
post #4276 of 4483
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoharulz View Post

I was hoping someone could help me out. I have the 65HX950 and was finally looking into mounting it on the wall. There are so many options for mounts available from 20$ to 100$. Can you guys suggest which mounts you have used and where i can purchase them?

www.monoprice.com has a great selection of mts really reasonably priced.
post #4277 of 4483
I found an in-store demo 65HX950 with one dead pixel about 2" from the left edge, almost 3,000 hours on the panel, and over 400 power cycles. Banding was barely noticeable if at all and not a problem for me. I normally wouldn't mess with open box, especially with a dead pixel, but since no one is using FALD anymore, this demo unit may be my last chance to get something like this until OLED is reasonable (could be years for a large panel). I also looked at the 65W805 and the HX950 was noticeably better. I do like the Panasonic VT60 plasma, but my room can be bright during the day and I am worried about IR.

What do you think a good price would be, considering the dead pixel and hours? I found the dead pixel to be noticeable if you look closely for it on light backgrounds, but not too bad under normal viewing.
post #4278 of 4483
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhineth View Post

I found an in-store demo 65HX950 with one dead pixel about 2" from the left edge, almost 3,000 hours on the panel, and over 400 power cycles. Banding was barely noticeable if at all and not a problem for me. I normally wouldn't mess with open box, especially with a dead pixel, but since no one is using FALD anymore, this demo unit may be my last chance to get something like this until OLED is reasonable (could be years for a large panel). I also looked at the 65W805 and the HX950 was noticeably better. I do like the Panasonic VT60 plasma, but my room can be bright during the day and I am worried about IR.

What do you think a good price would be, considering the dead pixel and hours? I found the dead pixel to be noticeable if you look closely for it on light backgrounds, but not too bad under normal viewing.

Try to get it for $1500-2000 and a free extended warranty?

By the time it dies, replacement parts and refurbs will probably be unavailable, so at least you would get a newer model out of it.

I wouldn't worry about the dead pixel unless you can actually see it from your normal viewing distance.
post #4279 of 4483
Here you go.. It's what I have my 65HX950 mounted with.. No need whatsoever to spend $100+ on a mount from the big box stores.. http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=108&cp_id=10828&cs_id=1082801&p_id=4174&seq=1&format=2
post #4280 of 4483
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMRIZZO View Post

It's worth a try but I don't believe it'll help. Good luck !

It did not work. Plus, they are out of 950 models so they sent me a W900A as a replacement. I'm not too happy right now, but I don't know what my options are.
post #4281 of 4483
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave A. View Post

It did not work. Plus, they are out of 950 models so they sent me a W900A as a replacement. I'm not too happy right now, but I don't know what my options are.

read hear for a comparison: http://www.soundandvision.com/category/led-tv-reviews
post #4282 of 4483
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave A. View Post

It did not work. Plus, they are out of 950 models so they sent me a W900A as a replacement. I'm not too happy right now, but I don't know what my options are.

if you need to get a new one, i would request the xbr x900a. it is closest current model to yours since at least it has the opticontrast panel. it doesn't have local dimming, but does have triluminous and 4.2k. gl
post #4283 of 4483
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kisakuku View Post

Try to get it for $1500-2000 and a free extended warranty?

By the time it dies, replacement parts and refurbs will probably be unavailable, so at least you would get a newer model out of it.

I wouldn't worry about the dead pixel unless you can actually see it from your normal viewing distance.

I can maybe get them down to $2500. Worth it?
post #4284 of 4483
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhineth View Post

I can maybe get them down to $2500. Worth it?

you can get new from onecall for $3499 for reference
post #4285 of 4483
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhineth View Post

I found an in-store demo 65HX950 with one dead pixel about 2" from the left edge, almost 3,000 hours on the panel, and over 400 power cycles. Banding was barely noticeable if at all and not a problem for me. I normally wouldn't mess with open box, especially with a dead pixel, but since no one is using FALD anymore, this demo unit may be my last chance to get something like this until OLED is reasonable (could be years for a large panel). I also looked at the 65W805 and the HX950 was noticeably better. I do like the Panasonic VT60 plasma, but my room can be bright during the day and I am worried about IR.

What do you think a good price would be, considering the dead pixel and hours? I found the dead pixel to be noticeable if you look closely for it on light backgrounds, but not too bad under normal viewing.
Also verify and confirm their "RETURN" policy
post #4286 of 4483
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhineth View Post

I found an in-store demo 65HX950 with one dead pixel about 2" from the left edge, almost 3,000 hours on the panel, and over 400 power cycles. Banding was barely noticeable if at all and not a problem for me. I normally wouldn't mess with open box, especially with a dead pixel, but since no one is using FALD anymore, this demo unit may be my last chance to get something like this until OLED is reasonable (could be years for a large panel). I also looked at the 65W805 and the HX950 was noticeably better. I do like the Panasonic VT60 plasma, but my room can be bright during the day and I am worried about IR.

What do you think a good price would be, considering the dead pixel and hours? I found the dead pixel to be noticeable if you look closely for it on light backgrounds, but not too bad under normal viewing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kisakuku View Post

Try to get it for $1500-2000 and a free extended warranty?

By the time it dies, replacement parts and refurbs will probably be unavailable, so at least you would get a newer model out of it.

I wouldn't worry about the dead pixel unless you can actually see it from your normal viewing distance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhineth View Post

I can maybe get them down to $2500. Worth it?

I think Kisakuku's advice is right on the mark. With a store demo unit that has that many hours on the panel, I wouldn't consider paying over $2K. I would also ask for the extended warranty and/or verify with Sony customer support that it qualifies for the full 18-month manufacturer's warranty that comes with a new set.

You're right of course that these FALD Sony's are becoming rare finds, and only you can decide what this feature is worth to you. For a little perspective, I purchased an "open-box" 55" HX929 (essentially brand new with only 6 panel hours) earlier this year for $1850 shipped (no tax) with full Sony warranty. The TV you are looking at is pretty much the identical set but one model year newer and in the next-larger screen size but with a lot more miles on it and who knows what kind of shelf wear from customers looking under the hood. I think you could argue that the value is comparable assuming your set is in perfect operating condition (I presume you've already checked it out thoroughly), cosmetically acceptable, includes all accessories, and is backed by a warranty. Also bear in mind that the store probably doesn't have the shipping carton on hand, and you will want to discuss how you will get it home safely. And don't forget to check out the store's return policy before you purchase, as Rizzo suggests.

Good luck!
post #4287 of 4483
Quote:
Originally Posted by chi_guy50 View Post


I think Kisakuku's advice is right on the mark. With a store demo unit that has that many hours on the panel, I wouldn't consider paying over $2K. I would also ask for the extended warranty and/or verify with Sony customer support that it qualifies for the full 18-month manufacturer's warranty that comes with a new set.

You're right of course that these FALD Sony's are becoming rare finds, and only you can decide what this feature is worth to you. For a little perspective, I purchased an "open-box" 55" HX929 (essentially brand new with only 6 panel hours) earlier this year for $1850 shipped (no tax) with full Sony warranty. The TV you are looking at is pretty much the identical set but one model year newer and in the next-larger screen size but with a lot more miles on it and who knows what kind of shelf wear from customers looking under the hood. I think you could argue that the value is comparable assuming your set is in perfect operating condition (I presume you've already checked it out thoroughly), cosmetically acceptable, includes all accessories, and is backed by a warranty. Also bear in mind that the store probably doesn't have the shipping carton on hand, and you will want to discuss how you will get it home safely. And don't forget to check out the store's return policy before you purchase, as Rizzo suggests.

Good luck!

Well, I went back for another round of negotiation, and it was gone. They sold on Friday for the the tagged demo price of $3,499!! The store said the purchaser had been looking at the set for 6 weeks. You'd think he would do some price research!!

Anyway thanks for the help everyone, even though it didn't work out. I'm going to wait until CES and see if there is anything worth waiting for.... Otherwise I'll take my chances with a VT60.
Edited by rhineth - 11/17/13 at 8:51am
post #4288 of 4483
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhineth View Post

Well, I went back for another round of negotiation, and it was gone. They sold on Friday for the the tagged demo price of $3,499!! The store said the purchaser had been looking at the set for 6 weeks. You'd think he would do some price research!!

Anyway thanks for the help everyone, even though it didn't work out. I'm going to wait until CES and see if there is anything worth waiting for.... Otherwise I'll take my chances with a VT60.

At least you know that you didn't miss out on anything worthwhile at that sucker's price of $3.5K (P.T. Barnum is nodding in his grave)! As davidch pointed out earlier, you can still get a brand new model from onecall (authorized reseller) for that price (including shipping) or maybe better if you haggle.
post #4289 of 4483
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidch View Post

if you need to get a new one, i would request the xbr x900a. it is closest current model to yours since at least it has the opticontrast panel. it doesn't have local dimming, but does have triluminous and 4.2k. gl
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMRIZZO View Post

read hear for a comparison: http://www.soundandvision.com/category/led-tv-reviews

Thanks for the replies. I looked on Amazon and the KDL900A Sony sent me is a full $1200 cheaper than the XBR 950 that they are replacing under warranty. When I first called about my defective TV I specifically said to make sure I was getting a refurbished XBR 950 and was told, “Don’t worry, sir, we will not downgrade you.” Then they were out of the 950 and decided to send me their current top edge lit 1080P set without telling me. I called last Friday before I even opened the box and told them some sort of a horrible mistake had been made and they told me to set it up and call back if I wasn’t satisfied. I don’t understand how they think an edge lit KDL is a suitable replacement for their top of the line XBR unit from last year.

I guess I’ll have to make the call and hope I can at least get the XBR. I don’t think 4K in a 55” has any use anyway but at least it’s the same price I paid for the 950.
post #4290 of 4483
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave A. View Post


Thanks for the replies. I looked on Amazon and the KDL900A Sony sent me is a full $1200 cheaper than the XBR 950 that they are replacing under warranty. When I first called about my defective TV I specifically said to make sure I was getting a refurbished XBR 950 and was told, “Don’t worry, sir, we will not downgrade you.” Then they were out of the 950 and decided to send me their current top edge lit 1080P set without telling me. I called last Friday before I even opened the box and told them some sort of a horrible mistake had been made and they told me to set it up and call back if I wasn’t satisfied. I don’t understand how they think an edge lit KDL is a suitable replacement for their top of the line XBR unit from last year.

I guess I’ll have to make the call and hope I can at least get the XBR. I don’t think 4K in a 55” has any use anyway but at least it’s the same price I paid for the 950.

Stand firm, but polite, if you start getting into a rant take a breath and don't make an enemy of someone 'trying to help' if your not happy with their solution insist (politely) to speak with someone in a higher tier (supervisor) Again the key is to maintain your cool. Just keep reiterating your not satisfied....politely but firmly.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: LCD Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Sony XBR-HX950 Owners' Thread (XBR-55HX9​50 and XBR-65HX95​0)